CA - Hasanni Campbell - Links, photos, and articles ***NO DISCUSSION***

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Hasa...-56362072.html

Rogers said the investigation into the disappearance is continuing and that he's reviewing police reports to see if there's enough evidence to file murder charges against Louis Ross, 38, the boy's foster father.

Ross was arrested at the couple's home at 5997 Roxie Terrace in Oakland about 2:45 p.m. Friday. He is tentatively scheduled to be arraigned in Alameda County Superior Court at 2 p.m. on Tuesday if charges are filed against him, Rogers said.

No Charges to Be Filed Against Jennifer Campbell
Posted: Monday, 31 August 2009 10:13AM
<snipped>
KCBS has learned that the aunt and foster mother of a missing 5-year-old boy won't be charged in connection with the case.

Monday morning, KCBS learned that Campbell was scheduled to be released from jail some point during the day, without any charges being filed against her.

Campbell was scheduled for arraignment Monday afternoon on aiding and abetting charges.

A team of investigators searched the couple's Bay Area home again Friday for clues in Fremont, Calif.

Thomason said it's an ongoing investigation discuss further what led to the arrest after the boy disappeared on Aug. 10. Ross, the last known person to see Hasanni, said the boy disappeared after he briefly left the boy outside his car in the rear parking lot of an upscale Oakland neighborhood shoe store where his fiancee, Campbell, works.

Prominent San Francisco Bay-area civil rights attorney John Burris, who has been advising the couple shortly after Hasanni's disappearance, said Friday that he was surprised by the couple's arrest.

"I'm not aware of any hard physical evidence that ties either one into a missing child," said Burris, adding that authorities have 72 hours to file charges.

She said if Ross and Campbell, who met online two years ago, know where Hasanni is, to say something.

"We need to find Hasanni."

AUDIO: KCBS' Bob Melrose reports
http://www.kcbs.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3988355

Article:
http://www.kcbs.com/No-Charges-to-Be-Filed-Against-Jennifer-Campbell/5117538

Hasanni Campbell's foster mother to be released
August 31, 2009
<snipped>
The aunt and foster mother of 5-year-old Hasanni Campbell, who was reported missing earlier this month and who police now believe was murdered, will be released from custody today after being arrested on Friday, Alameda County Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers said.

Rogers said there is insufficient evidence to charge Jennifer Campbell, 30, as an accessory in Hasanni's murder. The boy's body has not been found.

Rogers said the investigation into the disappearance is continuing and that he's reviewing police reports to see if there's enough evidence to file murder charges against Louis Ross, 38, the boy's foster father.

Oakland police spokesman Jeff Thomason said Friday that police are no longer considering the case to be a missing-persons case and instead are investigating it as a homicide.

Article:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Hasanni-Campbells-foster-mother-to-be-released-56362072.html

*NOTE: Missed this article when it was released.....Sorry!

No Wonder There Isn't a Stronger Outcry About the Missing Boy
August 21, 2009
<snipped>
The Oakland Tribune's Tammerlin Drummond complained in a piece yesterday that people weren't out searching for 5-year-old Hasanni Campbell, who allegedly went missing in Rockridge, suggesting that it was because the boy isn't white. Drummond also argued that there was no evidence to suspect Campbell's foster father was involved in the child's disappearance. But of course, there has been ample reason to suspect the foster father from early on in the case, and now there's even more. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, newly released court documents show that Louis Ross threatened to abandon the child just ten days before the boy supposedly went missing.

But more to the point, people have been justified for the past week for not partaking in a massive search of the boy. Drummond compared Hasanni's disappearance to the case of Sandra Cantu who went missing in Tracy. But there is one major difference that explains people's reactions. There was never any question about Sandra's parents being involved in her disappearance, but from the beginning, police questioned Ross' version of events &#8212; and rightly so. Investigators searched his home and a junkyard that Ross said he took the boy to before going to Rockridge. Indeed, there is reason to question whether the little boy was ever in Rockridge the day Ross reported him missing. So why should people be blamed for not embarking on what could be a wild goose chase, when police themselves are not doing it?

Article:
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/blogs...cry_about_the_missing_boy/Content?oid=1179650

OAKLAND: UPDATE: FOSTER MOTHER WON'T FACE CHARGES, ADVISER BURRIS 'GLAD'
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:24
<snipped>
Oakland attorney John Burris said he's not surprised that the Alameda County District Attorney's office isn't filing any charges against 30-year-old Jennifer Campbell, the boy's foster mother and aunt, because he believes "there was no factual basis for her to be arrested."

Burris said being arrested was traumatic for Campbell, who is six months pregnant, and caused her "a great deal of emotional harm."

But Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers said Campbell will be released from custody later today because there's insufficient evidence at this time to charge her as an accessory in the murder of Hasanni, whose body hasn't been found. However, the investigation into the boy's disappearance is continuing, Rogers said.

Rogers said he's still reviewing police reports to see if there's enough evidence to file murder charges against the boy's foster father, 38-year-old Louis Ross.

If charges are filed, Ross will likely be arraigned in Alameda County Superior Court at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Rogers said.

Thomason couldn't immediately be reached for comment today.

Burris said he thinks that that the Oakland Police Department arrested Campbell as "a tactic to intimidate her to talk" and disclose incriminating evidence against Ross.

He said, "She hadn't done anything wrong but the police didn't accept that."

Burris said he was in the process of finding a lawyer to represent Campbell in case she appeared in court, but that he won't have to do so now that she is being released.

However, he said he has found a lawyer to represent Ross in the event charges are filed against him.

Article:
http://cbs5.com/localwire/22.0.html?type=bcn&item=NO-CHARGES-(UPDATE-ON-BCN44)-12-24

http://cbs5.com/localwire/22.0.html?...N-BCN44)-12-24

Oakland attorney John Burris said he's not surprised that the Alameda County District Attorney's office isn't filing any charges against 30-year-old Jennifer Campbell, the boy's foster mother and aunt, because he believes "there was no factual basis for her to be arrested."

Burris said being arrested was traumatic for Campbell, who is six months pregnant, and caused her "a great deal of emotional harm."

No charges for missing boy's foster mother
Posted: 08/31/2009 02:06:48 PM PDT
<snipped>
The foster mother of a missing 5-year-old boy with cerebral palsy won't face criminal charges after prosecutors decided there isn't enough evidence to proceed with her case.

Alameda County prosecutor Tom Rogers says 33-year-old Jennifer Campbell will not be charged in the disappearance of Hasanni Campbell, who is also her biological nephew.

Rogers says the district attorney's office is still deciding whether to charge her fiance, 38-year-old Louis Ross, who is being held on suspicion of murder.

Ross reported the boy missing Aug. 10, saying he vanished after being left alone in a car parked at the back entrance of an Oakland shoe store where Campbell works.

Police arrested Ross and Campbell Friday, nearly three weeks after Hasanni disappeared.

Article:
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_13240295

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=6991584

Jennifer Campbell spoke to ABC7 on her way out of jail. She said she didn't do anything wrong and wants the focus of the police investigation to be on Hasanni's whereabouts.

"I don't want to comment on the police. All I know is I'm putting my faith in God to lead me in the right direction and steer me in the right way, and I can't say anything else about it," said Campbell

http://www.mercurynews.com/topstories/ci_13238632

Ernie Allen, president and CEO of the Virginia-based National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which has included Hasanni in its online database of missing children, expressed disappointment at the latest developments in the case.

"The response of the city of Oakland and the surrounding area was extraordinary, and our greatest concern in these cases ... is that the next time a child disappears, people will stay home or will fail to get involved because they'll assume that a family member, that a foster parent is involved," Allen said. "It's important that the people of Oakland understand how grateful we are for the way they responded, for the way they cared about Hasanni.

"We are as disappointed as anybody that we've not found Hasanni, ... but our hope is that this does not deter people from wanting to help in the future."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/31/BA1919GD4D.DTL

Campbell was held over the weekend, during which, she said, police tried to raise doubts in her mind about Ross. The Fremont couple are expecting a child in about two months.

She said she had no such doubts. "I told them that they were lying to me," Campbell said.

"Anybody who knows me knows what I'm capable of," Campbell said. Hurting the boy, she added, is "not in my character."

"You live your life to be a good person," Campbell said, "and all that disappears, and you're interrogated and treated like s-."

Missing Boy's Foster Mother Speaks About Release
Posted: 11:05 pm PDT August 31, 2009
Updated: 1:07 am PDT September 1, 2009
<snipped>
The foster mother of Hasanni Campbell told KTVU after her release from jail Monday that she hasn't lost her focus on finding the five-year-old who went missing three weeks ago.

Jennifer Campbell was released from jail just hours before her first scheduled court appearance. Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers said there was &#8220;insufficient evidence&#8221; to charge her at this time and that police have a "different standard of proof" than prosecutors.

Campbell was arrested Friday on suspicion of aiding and abetting a homicide. Her fiancé Louis Ross was arrested at the couple's Fremont home on the same charge. Prosecutors told KTVU that a decision about whether Ross will be charged with murder will be made by Tuesday morning.

"All I know is that this was one of the most difficult times in my life," Campbell told KTVU after her release. "I'm still focused on finding Hasanni."

Campbell said she was "in utter shock" when police arrested her at the Union City BART station Friday when she spoke to KTVU about being interrogated by police.

"They just said I was guilty of something. I told them I didn't do anything. I just said find Hasanni. They accused me over and over again of doing something. I told them I didn't," Campbell said.

Oakland police have not said what led to the arrest of the foster parents or why investigators believe the child is dead.

Following her release, Campbell attended a prayer service for Hasanni in the Rockridge neighborhood.

Campbell was greeted by friends and those who have helped in the search for Hasanni.

Campbell said she was kept away from other inmates in an isolated cell at Santa Rita jail, but could still hear the inmates yell out derogatory remarks at her.

A search of Lake Elizabeth in Fremont has been organized for Saturday morning. Volunteers said they intend to continue to hold weekly vigils for Hasanni until he is found.

VIDEO~ OAKLAND: Foster Mother Of Missing Boy Talks About Release From Jail
http://www.ktvu.com/video/20660060/index.html

Article:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/20660596/detail.html

Hasanni's foster mom says couple are innocent
Tuesday September 1, 2009
<snipped>
(08-31) 19:11 PDT OAKLAND -- Hours after being freed from jail, the foster mother of 5-year-old Hasanni Campbell said tearfully Monday that she had nothing to do with the boy's disappearance and is confident her fiance is also innocent.

Jennifer Campbell, 33, standing near a collection of photos and Hasanni's favorite toys at a vigil Monday evening in Oakland's Rockridge neighborhood, said she and Louis Ross "are both accused of a crime we didn't do."

"He's our little boy," said Campbell, who is also Hasanni's aunt. "We want him home."

Campbell was arrested Friday on suspicion of being an accessory after the fact to what Oakland police believe was the boy's murder. But Alameda County prosecutors let her go Monday, saying they had no evidence to make a case.

Ross, 38, Hasanni's foster father, is still being held without bail on suspicion of murder. Prosecutors said they would decide today whether to file charges against him.

Campbell was held over the weekend, during which, she said, police tried to raise doubts in her mind about Ross. The Fremont couple are expecting a child in about two months.

She said she had no such doubts. "I told them that they were lying to me," Campbell said.

"Anybody who knows me knows what I'm capable of," Campbell said. Hurting the boy, she added, is "not in my character."

"You live your life to be a good person," Campbell said, "and all that disappears, and you're interrogated and treated like s-."

Article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/01/BA1919GD4D.DTL

Hasanni Campbell's Foster Mom Won't Face Charges
Sep 1, 2009 12:14 am US/Pacific
<snipped>
Alameda County Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers said 33-year-old Jennifer Campbell would not be charged in the disappearance of Hasanni Campbell, who is also her biological nephew.

Rogers indicated that Campbell was being released from custody because there was insufficient evidence at this time to charge her as an accessory in the murder of the boy, whose body hasn't been found.

But Rogers added that the district attorney's office was still deciding whether to charge her fiance, 38-year-old Louis Ross, who remains held on suspicion of murder.

He also emphasized that the investigation into the boy's disappearance was continuing.

Burris said he thinks that that Oakland police arrested Campbell as "a tactic to intimidate her to talk" and disclose incriminating evidence against Ross.

"She hadn't done anything wrong but the police didn't accept that," he said.

Burris indicated that he has found a lawyer to represent Ross in the event charges are filed against him.

Article:
http://cbs5.com/crime/jennifer.campbell.charges.2.1154600.html

Missing 5-year-old's foster mother: "We wouldn't hurt him for anything in the world
Posted: 08/31/2009 07:15:46 AM PDT
Updated: 08/31/2009 10:49:50 PM PDT
<snipped>
The foster mother of Hasanni Campbell, the 5-year-old disabled Fremont boy who police now consider a homicide victim, was released from jail Monday.

Was arrested Friday. Alameda County Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers said no charges will be filed against Campbell, 30, who was released from Santa Rita Jail in Dublin. "There is insufficient evidence at this time, and the investigation is continuing," Rogers said.

Campbell, just hours out of jail, attended a vigil Monday at College Avenue Presbyterian Church across the street from Shuz of Rockridge, where the boy was reported missing Aug. 10. "I'm not doing well," she said in an interview after the vigil. "I'm inspired by the people who are here. I'm inspired by God. When I was incarcerated, my faith was stronger than ever."

Asked what she thinks will happen to Ross, she said: "They didn't have any evidence to hold me. They shouldn't have any evidence to hold him either. We wouldn't hurt (Hasanni) for anything in the world. Anyone who knows me knows that. Anybody who knows (Ross) knows he's not capable either."

Campbell, Hasanni's biological aunt, refused to talk to police about the case after her arrest, investigators said. Ross, 38, is scheduled to be arraigned today.

"There was no evidence implicating her with criminal activity," Burris said at Monday's vigil. "It was more associating her with (Ross). There is no evidence linking him to a crime. As far as I'm concerned, there is no crime. "... I believe (the police) don't believe the initial story that Hasanni was in this place at this time."

Three dozen people, about three times more than last week, attended Monday's vigil. "It's really encouraging to see all these faces here," said Courtney Tascoe-Burris, Burris' daughter.

Article:
http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_13238636?source=most_viewed

UPDATED: Foster Mother of Missing 5-Year-Old Has Been Released From Police Custody
8/31/2009 10:20:00 AM
<snipped>
Five-year old Hasanni Campbell's step-mother insists he's done nothing wrong.

Jennifer Campbell made the comments while leaving the Santa Rita jail Monday after spending the weekend in custody. Prosecutors now say they don't have enough evidence to hold Campbell. The missing child's step-father Louis Ross remains jailed. The Alameda County District Attorney's office says it will announce charges, if any, against Ross on Tuesday.

"I'm just glad to be out of jail," Campbell told reporters outside the jail. "I didn't do anything. I hope the focus can shift to finding Hasanni and bringing him home safely. We are still having the vigil tonight for him because he is still missing. Thank you to anybody who has offered support. I don't want to comment on the police. All I know is I'm putting my faith in God and trusting him to lead me in the right direction and to steer me the right way. I can't say anything else about anything."

KRON 4&#8217;s Reggie Kumar spoke to John Burris, the couple&#8217;s legal consultant, who says he talked to Ross just a few hours before the arrests and that the couple had been undergoing intense questioning by Oakland police, &#8220;I know there is no body. I&#8217;m surprised as to why they were arrested. Which then means, and we hope, that there may be probable cause to support the arrest, other than they were the last people to see the child alive.&#8221;

NEW VIDEO: Hasanni Campbell's Foster Mother Says She's Done Nothing Wrong
http://serve.castfire.com/video/149997/149997_2009-08-31-212413.mp4

NEW VIDEO: DA Not Filing Charges Against Hasanni Campbell's Foster Mother
http://serve.castfire.com/video/149983/149983_2009-08-31-205002.mp4

Article:
http://www.kron4.com/News/ArticleVi...een Released From Police Custody/Default.aspx

UPDATED: Jennifer Campbell says she's innocent
Monday, August 31, 2009 | 11:51 PM
<snipped>
Oakland attorney John Burris has been offering legal advice to the couple. He says authorities tried to get Campbell to implicate Ross in Hasanni's disappearance.

"Either to get her to implicate him, in order to have him, not so much implicate her, but feel the pressure of having her be in custody," said Burris.

Before the vigil Campbell said, "They accused me over and over again of doing something I didn't do or knowing something and I told them I didn't and they had to let me go. They didn't have evidence to hold me."

Campbell admitted police tried to get her to turn on Ross.

Before police said the couple had been cooperating.

"Why do I want to talk to them now? What do I want to say to them now? 'Have you found Hasanni?' No. 'Are you looking for Hasanni?' I don't know," said Campbell.
Ross is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday.

When Campbell was asked what she thinks police may do to Ross on Tuesday, she said "I don't know. He didn't do anything. They have to let him go."

Oakland Police say they are anticipating a press conference some time on Tuesday, but it is unclear if they'll make it before or after the scheduled arraignment of Ross. They could either drop all of the charges against Ross for lack of evidence or drop a bombshell and explain why they're charging him with the murder of Hasanni.

VIDEO: Jennifer Campbell says she's innocent
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6992504

VIDEO: Campbell Attends Vigil For Hasanni
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6992771

Article:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6991584

No Charges to Be Filed Against Jennifer Campbell
Posted: Monday, 31 August 2009 10:16PM
<snipped>
Aunt and foster mother Jennifer Campbell of missing Hassani Campbell attended a vigil Monday night in Oakland for the child just hours after authorities decided there was not enough evidence to charge her in the case.

Five-year-old Hasanni Campbell was reported missing earlier this month. Police now believe the little boy was murdered.

According to Alameda County Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers, said there is insufficient evidence to charge Jennifer Campbell, 30, as an accessory in Hasanni's murder. The boy's body has not been found.

AUDIO: KCBS' Bob Melrose reports
http://www.kcbs.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3988860

Article:
http://www.kcbs.com/Foster-Mom-Attends-Campbell-Vigil/5117538

http://www.ktvu.com/news/20660596/detail.html

"All I know is that this was one of the most difficult times in my life," Campbell told KTVU after her release. "I'm still focused on finding Hasanni."

Campbell said she was "in utter shock" when police arrested her at the Union City BART station Friday when she spoke to KTVU about being interrogated by police.

"They just said I was guilty of something. I told them I didn't do anything. I just said find Hasanni. They accused me over and over again of doing something. I told them I didn't," Campbell said.

Campbell said she was kept away from other inmates in an isolated cell at Santa Rita jail, but could still hear the inmates yell out derogatory remarks at her.

"I know what's in my heart and anybody who knows me knows what I'm capable of. [They] know what I would do and know that this isn't even in my character," she said. Campbell also said she has no doubt that Ross did not harm Hasanni either.

"We had nothing to do with it. He's our little boy. We want him...and we want him back and our main concern is finding him and we still want people to come out. We still want people to know he is missing."

"I think it was a rush to judgment, if you will. Overreaction from the police," Burris said. "They [the police] did not have evidence to support a conviction for her and I doubt if they do for him. It may be a tactic on their part."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA1919GD4D.DTL

John Burris, an attorney who has been consulting with the couple, said of Campbell, "I'm not surprised that the D.A. chose not to file charges. There was never evidence connecting her to a crime.

"At best, it was just her association with Louis, but that was not in any way reflective of criminal behavior or knowledge on her part," Burris said. "I totally thought it was a wrong-headed approach by the Police Department."

As for Ross, Burris said police probably arrested him simply because they didn't believe his story that Hasanni had been outside the shoe store.

"From there, they inferred that if he's lying about that, then he must know something about it," Burris said. "But there's no real evidence. There's no independent evidence of any kind, no corroborative evidence and no admissions by him. In that sense, it's pretty weak."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back