CA CA - Jean Spangler, 27, Los Angeles, Oct 1949

Indeed. If the allegations in the link below are true then that can also be added to the list of shady Hollywood dealings that should have been investigated. I'm not relating this to Doulglas and Spangler, btw, as I think the link refers to a later date than the 40s.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2009/10/four-for-friday-halloween-version.html

Wow... That story in your link is intriguing. Now I want to know the answer to this mystery. It's a few years old. Does the blogger ever give up any names in later entries?

The dates may not march, but the story never really gave any concrete dates, did it? Is there any way that the girl in the story (if it's true) could be Jean? It could explain why there are so few clues in her case. and possibly why the Kirk Douglas angle was never really looked into.

The thing I found odd about KD was the fact that he called the police before they even made a connection that the "Kirk" mentioned in the note could have been him. From the quote below, I don't believe he was even on their radar yet, but he called them while vacationing in Palm Springs. I don't think he had anything to do with her disappearance per se, but I think he knows what happened.

From Jean's Wiki page: (BBM)
"Spangler had completed a bit part in the then unfinished film Young Man With a Horn starring the actor Kirk Douglas. Douglas was vacationing in Palm Springs and heard about the disappearance. He called the police and told them he was not the Kirk mentioned in the note before police knew there was any connection. Douglas was interviewed by the head of the investigating team and stated that he had heard the name and that Spangler had been an extra in his new film, but he didn't know her personally."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Spangler

The thing I found odd about KD was the fact that he called the police before they even made a connection that the "Kirk" mentioned in the note could have been him. From the quote below, I don't believe he was even on their radar yet, but he called them while vacationing in Palm Springs. I don't think he had anything to do with her disappearance per se, but I think he knows what happened.

From Jean's Wiki page: (BBM)
"Spangler had completed a bit part in the then unfinished film Young Man With a Horn starring the actor Kirk Douglas. Douglas was vacationing in Palm Springs and heard about the disappearance. He called the police and told them he was not the Kirk mentioned in the note before police knew there was any connection. Douglas was interviewed by the head of the investigating team and stated that he had heard the name and that Spangler had been an extra in his new film, but he didn't know her personally."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Spangler

I agree with you Maryliz. I always thought it was strange that he kind of jumped the gun with notifying the police. I always wondered why nobody ever mentioned that or thought it was fishy.

I have to wonder how many Kirks Jean knew but, if memory serves me correctly, Jean's mom supposedly saw the Kirk she was dating from a distance and didn't think it was Douglas. A TV program covered this case but I don't remember which one right now.

I have to wonder how many Kirks Jean knew but, if memory serves me correctly, Jean's mom supposedly saw the Kirk she was dating form a distance and didn't think it was Douglas. A TV program covered this case but I don't remember which one right now.

Stan, it was on Mysteries and Scandals, the show that used to be on E!

It's on youtube in four parts. Here is Part One:

Jean Spangler - Part 1 - Mysteries and Scandals (2001) - YouTube

I haven't had time to watch part one all the way through. I want to watch the whole show but won't have time until next weekend maybe.

Thanks Mary. I was thinking it was one of those types of shows and it was the first I heard of the case.

I want to know whatever happened to Jean's ex and her daughter?

Thanks MaryLiz for the "Mysteries & Scandals" link. I always loved that show. I liked the E channel back then before it became Kardashian TV.

Anyway I remember that episode, I think it was the first time I heard about Jean Spangler. The show really filled in a lot of the gaps. I still wonder about her daughter and ex though. He may be dead by now but I'm sure she is still around. It sounded like the show producers were able to locate them. I wonder if his contempt of court charges were ever taken care of or did they live in hiding for the rest of their lives?
I know she wouldn't have information to solve the case but I would love to hear from her.

didn't that show imply that jean's sister got custody of the kid and they moved out of state?

Wow... That story in your link is intriguing. Now I want to know the answer to this mystery. It's a few years old. Does the blogger ever give up any names in later entries?

The dates may not march, but the story never really gave any concrete dates, did it? Is there any way that the girl in the story (if it's true) could be Jean? It could explain why there are so few clues in her case. and possibly why the Kirk Douglas angle was never really looked into.
I don't think he'll reveal this one. Also, it could well be from that era but I'd be surprised if all those were still alive in 2007, but Douglas is and so you never know. I always found it a bit suspicious that Jack Nicholson bought Marlon Brando's house then had it knocked down, but I doubt they'd be classed as being around during the glory days of Hollywood.

From the post by Anthrobones on page 1, post 13

''Jean’s ex-husband Dexter Benner, got custody of Christine but two years after the dark-haired beauty’s disappearance, an attempt by Benner to have the child adopted by his new wife on the grounds of abandonment was blocked by the court, the judge ruling that there was no proof that Jean Spangler was alive or dead. Jean’s mother by that time had given up hope that her daughter was alive, however. "I’m sure she would have communicated with us if she was alive and free. And nobody can tell me should have left her baby unless she was forced to."

Still sounds shady as hell. And so does this hubby, but I don't think he was involved in Jean going missing

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back