GUILTY CA - Jessica Funk-Haslam, 13, found murdered, Rosemont, 6 March 2012

http://rosemont.patch.com/articles/friends-and-family-remember-slain-teen#photo-9281642
Friends and Family Remember Slain Rosemont Teen
A vigil was held Wednesday to honor a Rosemont girl whose body was found this week.

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/2...Friends-remember-slain-13-year-old-Calif-girl
Friends remember slain 13-year-old Calif. girl
Quote:
Jessica Funk-Haslam's mother, Tara, says she and her daughter fought on Monday night before Jessica left their apartment. The girl wanted to meet someone, but her mom didn't want her to go out after dark. She said Jessica would not say who she wanted to meet.

Hmm, call me cynical too because I have a really hard time believing this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eath-Body-girl-13-dumped-baseball-dugout.html

found this video of Jessica's mom speaking. (scroll down) It is definitely different from her dad's interview.

Opinions???? Or am I just so jaded after all these cases?

Her emotions is not what you would expect from a mother who's child was just found murdered, is it?

Her fathers emotions on the other hand are a little more what I would expect from a parent who just lost a child.

JMO

Quote:
Jessica Funk-Haslam's mother, Tara, says she and her daughter fought on Monday night before Jessica left their apartment. The girl wanted to meet someone, but her mom didn't want her to go out after dark. She said Jessica would not say who she wanted to meet.

Hmm, call me cynical too because I have a really hard time believing this.

Me too, and I'm just so jaded after all these cases. I still don't let my 14 year old go hang out anywhere after dark. If he wants a yogurt, or a treat at Walgreens me or his dad walk with him. I spend too much time listening to our local police scanner to know that it's hardly safe for me to be out alone at midnight.

And why did mom wait until the morning to call the police? She's 13. I didn't hear or read that mom thought she might be with the dad. If so, why was she out at midnight looking for her? Call 911 instead.

Something is not ringing true with me - but I can't put my finger on it. I know the direction I'm going in, but will wait to see how this pans out.

Quoting the mother:

'I had tried to keep her home too much. I didn’t want her to go out at night.'
She had some 'strong ideas' about her daughter's demise, but didn't want to speculate, she added. But she believed neither gangs nor drugs were a factor.

Well, I sure hope she's telling LE what her strong ideas are!

RIP Jessica.

MOO

Mel

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-13-dumped-baseball-dugout.html#ixzz1oZ4EmCbj

I so far don't see anything unusual about the story. Teenagers do argue with parents and run off to meet friends/boyfriends, etc. Could have easily happened in this case.

Her emotions is not what you would expect from a mother who's child was just found murdered, is it?

Her fathers emotions on the other hand are a little more what I would expect from a parent who just lost a child.

JMO

No, Joe, they are not. She keeps her eyes closed, head down, won't look at the camera. I don't like it - not one bit.

I'm not pointing fingers, but her emotions are not what I would expect. You'd have to pick me up off the floor if anyone did that to my child. I do realize everyone grieves differently, but this is just bizzare.

My opinion only --

Mel

"Tara Haslam, Jessica's mother, told KCRA 3 that she tried to find her daughter Monday night by texting her daughter's friends and walking the neighborhood at midnight.
"I started walking the streets where I had feelings she could have been, and I totally regret waiting for the morning.
I never would have thought it would have been like this," Haslam said.
Ramos said Haslam contacted the Department on Tuesday morning, about the same time the body was discovered."

I think I must be jaded because this bothers me a bit. Your 13 yr old girl is missing, you have called all of her friends and already looked where you think she might be.
It's after midnight, and there's no sign of her. So you just go home and go to sleep?

That seems odd to me.

They believe Funk-Haslam was killed sometime Monday night or Tuesday morning. She was last seen leaving her apartment about 5:30 p.m. Monday; her body was found in a baseball field's dugout at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Her mother, Tara Funk-Haslam, said she and her daughter had argued about the girl's desire to go out and meet someone. She would not say who, her mother said, and left despite her mother's protests about her being out after dark.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archi...ce-asphyxia-and-stab-wound.html#storylink=cpy

what time does it get dark there now? Here in michigan (if it is not overcast) it is light out until almost 7pm..

I so far don't see anything unusual about the story. Teenagers do argue with parents and run off to meet friends/boyfriends, etc. Could have easily happened in this case.

Sure they do. But she was only 13. So what does a parent do when it's 2 am and her 13 yr old does not show up back home? Seems very odd that she wasn't reported missing before the next morning.

Sure they do. But she was only 13. So what does a parent do when it's 2 am and her 13 yr old does not show up back home? Seems very odd that she wasn't reported missing before the next morning.

I have a 13 y/o ds... and first of all... if he went out the door to meet with people he wouldn't tell me about I would refuse to let him leave (and if he did somehow leave you can bet right there I would be right behind him)

I do, however realize that not all people are the same types of parents and there may be more going on in this area that we are unaware of.

What a sad story..

If she believed the teenager run off to be with friends and would show up, doesn't seem so strange to me.

I just hope the mothers cell phone records can back up her story.

JMO

I am the parent of a 13 y/o and it is waaaaay strange to me. :moo:

I am not saying the woman should get "mother of the year award," but I don't see anything as of yet to suggest the story as told isn't plausible.

Um, yeah. I'm the parent of a 16 year old and if she wasn't home at midnight, I had called all of her friends and no one knew where she was and I had walked the neighborhood without finding her, there is no way I would be sleeping that night.

That is very bizarre to me.

You also wouldn't be able to interview me the day after her body was found as I would probably be sedated and in a mental institution.

If she believed the teenager run off to be with friends and would show up, doesn't seem so strange to me.

She called and texted all of her known friends. Everyone said she wasn't there/ She went around the local neighborhood and could not find her. So what made her think she was safe with friends?

My 14 yr DD ran off mad one night too. We looked for her and we called around and drove around until 1 am. None of her known friends seemed to know where she was. I was just about to call and report her missing , even though I did not want to 'label' her as a runaway. But luckily my 18 yr old son called and said he found some kids who had seen her walking. So we went to that area and found her sitting on the porch of a house with friends I did not know of. [ She barely knew them and just happened upon them. It scares me to think what might have happened if she was there all night. ]

If we had not found her at that time, there is no way I would have gone to sleep and waited until the morning.

She called and texted all of her known friends. Everyone said she wasn't there/ She went around the local neighborhood and could not find her. So what made her think she was safe with friends?

My 14 yr DD ran off mad one night too. We looked for her and we called around and drove around until 1 am. None of her known friends seemed to know where she was. I was just about to call and report her missing , even though I did not want to 'label' her as a runaway. But luckily my 18 yr old son called and said he found some kids who had seen her walking. So we went to that area and found her sitting on the porch of a house with friends I did not know of. [ She barely knew them and just happened upon them. It scares me to think what might have happened if she was there all night. ]

If we had not found her at that time, there is no way I would have gone to sleep and waited until the morning.

I don't think the mother knew all the friends her daughter was hanging out with. Whatever her parenting skills are, I think it's much more likely that 13 year old met with someone who then killed her.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_20129394

Mother: CA teen left to meet someone before death

Her mother, Tara Funk-Haslam, said Wednesday that she didn't want her daughter to go out after dark, but she went anyway.

"People are coming out when she's gone, instead of when she's here," Tara Funk-Haslam said through tears. "It does hurt that it took something this tragic to bring people together."

Tara Funk-Haslam said her daughter was happy though she did not seem to have many friends. She said the two had been arguing more frequently about Jessica's desire to go out, and she thought the girl was perhaps making more friends.

If she went out to meet someone, there should be a trace of that somewhere . .. on her phone, computer, etc.

http://www.news10.net/video/1496583...-of-girl-found-in-park-struggle-to-understand

Parents of girl found in park struggle to understand

--video @ link

*body found about 2 miles from her mom’s apartment

*dad says she wouldn't have walked that far---must have been picked up

*mom—she ran out, and I chased after her

*jessica left her cell phone at home

*her mom’s b/f brian kirk sexually abused Jessica in nevada , he was sentenced to 10 years in 2008

*mom says that’s in the past, Jessica was getting help w/ that

*dad says that’s why she was a rebellious teen

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member