GUILTY CA - Julia Jacobson, 37, San Diego, 2 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

Monday, Oct. 15th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Julia Beth Jacobson (37) & her dog Boogie (Sept. 2, 2017; found Dec. 1, 2017) – *Dalen Larry Payne Ware (39) (ex) charged (10/11/17) & arraigned (7/30/18) with 1st degree murder; plead not guilty. $1M bail.
Was extradited from AZ to Ontario, CA. on 10/27/17. Time waived to 6/8/18.
7/30/18 Update: The ex-husband of a former Army veteran Ware pleads guilty to 2nd-degree murder in her death; faces 15 years to life for the murder of his ex-wife. He took a plea bargain, sentencing will be 10/15.
Sentenced today to 15 years to life, parole eligible.

Tbh I don't really understand how this sort of sentencing works but as Julia's family says in the 10News report, it means they will have to go though all this again in little more than a decade. It's so unfair on the families.

I don't know if the family had a say in agreeing to this plea deal but a minimum of 15 years seems very low to me. If that's what he ends up serving then that's a travesty. He went with full awareness that he was likely to become violent with her if she did not comply with what he wanted so he should have stayed away from her. That's giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't plan to kill her which I really have trouble believing. I think he went with anger and ill intent and they should have tried to prove first degree murder.

Tbh I don't really understand how this sort of sentencing works but as Julia's family says in the 10News report, it means they will have to go though all this again in little more than a decade. It's so unfair on the families.

I don't know if the family had a say in agreeing to this plea deal but a minimum of 15 years seems very low to me. If that's what he ends up serving then that's a travesty. He went with full awareness that he was likely to become violent with her if she did not comply with what he wanted so he should have stayed away from her. That's giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't plan to kill her which I really have trouble believing. I think he went with anger and ill intent and they should have tried to prove first degree murder.
I agree. He should have received that sentence just for killing the dog. Then he should have received life without parole for Julia. I wonder if they made a deal to get him to show them where the body was. I feel awful for her family. Hopefully they will show up at each parole hearing and ensure he is never allowed to walk out of prison.

I agree that Ware's punishment seems light, so I researched a bit; thanks to Shouse California Law Group:

Penal Code 187: California Murder Law (explained by defense lawyers)

In Penal Code 187, California law defines "murder" as "the unlawful killing of a human being or fetus with malice aforethought."

"Malice aforethought" means the killer "with wanton disregard for human life, does an act that involves a high degree of probability that it will result in death."

Murder can be charged as "first-degree" or "second-degree." First-degree murder generally carries a sentence of 25 years to life in state prison. First-degree murder may be charged when the killing:

1. is accomplished by means of a destructive device, weapon of mass destruction, armor-piercing ammunition, poison, lying in wait, or torture; or
  2. is done in a way that is willful, deliberate and premeditated; or
  3. invokes the California felony murder rule because the murder occurs during the commission of certain serious felony crimes.
All other forms of murder are second-degree. Second-degree murder generally carries a sentence of 15 years to life in state prison...

(article continues)

<<<snip

So there's that. The whole thing is just so...so sad, I guess. Such a shame. Nothing can really do justice for Julia's murder, or Boogie's, but I expected to feel at least some sense of things put right again once Ware was sentenced. Instead, I feel disappointed, and a little hopeless.

Can you be a little hopeless? :confused:

If Ware is a model prisoner and with prison overcrowding being an issue in CA its possible he could be eligible for release prior to serving his 15 year sentence IMO. This would be another tragedy for Julia's Family.

In my earlier posts (post 618) I mention there were some unanswered questions in regards to Julia's death which might have contributed to a lesser sentence for Ware. I have an uneasy feeling that another person might have helped Ware during the crime or after the fact.

I agree. He should have received that sentence just for killing the dog. Then he should have received life without parole for Julia. I wonder if they made a deal to get him to show them where the body was. I feel awful for her family. Hopefully they will show up at each parole hearing and ensure he is never allowed to walk out of prison.

I just saw this story for the first time- his sentence is so ridiculously low- and as you point out he should have received that sentence just for killing Boogie: The fact he killed an innocent dog reveals how evil he really is. He could have just let the dog run free-- what an SOB.

Julia Jacobson disappears while driving across California on a Labor Day road trip with her beloved pet dog. Police follow her digital footprints to uncover the truth about her final moments, 100 miles off course from her planned destination.

Julia Jacobson disappears while driving across California on a Labor Day road trip with her beloved pet dog. Police follow her digital footprints to uncover the truth about her final moments, 100 miles off course from her planned destination.
This is a really sad case: Julia was a smart and successful young woman who loved her dog Boogie: What was never made clear in the program was how she wound up meeting up with her ex-husband. I think he somehow lured her to that hotel- knowing he was planning to kill her. The fact that he killed her beloved dog just makes me know he is a sociopathic evil . To add further misery to this sad case is the absolutely awfully light sentence the killer received. i become more and more disenchanted with our justice system on a daily basis.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back