CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018 #3

The interiors of the house on Ponderosa Street, built in 2005, from when it was on the market in May of 2018. Zac and Melissa Guse bought the house in late August of that year, so they had resided there less than two months when Karlie went missing. As with many California homes, the house has no basement and is one floor. There are two bathrooms (one connected to the master bedroom) and three bedrooms, which indicates that Karlie's younger brothers shared a bedroom.

A view of the kitchen, dining room, and living room. Melissa claimed that Karlie's phone was on the island when she brought her home that night and remained there until later in the morning. Karlie's boyfriend Donald, who came over after Karlie had been reported missing, insisted that Karlie's phone was on the nightstand in her bedroom.

fd91115c595902486f2e2ff4db3c3827-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

494be01d77cb395f2f060c6d6e2e8bc5-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

A photograph that shows the front door

77c845ecca34a0b75a2930302a3ab6a8-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

The master bathroom, where Melissa filmed many of her Facebook Live videos, including the first one where she announced that Karlie was missing.

146d0d1d07d28aef3b1298b790375f21-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

This is the room that became Karlie's bedroom (I was able to confirm this by looking at the FBI series of videos on the case, specifically Zac's interview, which was filmed in her bedroom).

000caeed19f3e9780a226ec3adc96f5d429-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

Last edited:
Another from the series of FBI videos featuring Karlie's father Zac. This video gives a really good view of Karlie's bedroom.

In the version that she has told since October 22, 2018, Melissa has claimed that she was in bed with Karlie all night and woke up sometime between 7:15 and 7:18 am and realized that Karlie was "gone". However, this is contradicted by her statement (this was brought up on Dr. Phil as well, but somehow she wasn't questioned about that) that she woke up Karlie's younger brothers at 5:30 am (on a Saturday) and took them to a relative's house (in one statement, it was her parents' house, in another, it was her brother's). Who was watching Karlie from 5:30 until whenever Melissa got back?

For argument's sake, let's say that the three witnesses did see Karlie that morning. Richard Eddy says he saw her at 6:30 am. The second witness, Kenneth Dutton, who lived further down the street, said he saw her at 7:15 am,and the anonymous "wooder" saw her at 7:30 am inside the barbed wire at the end of White Mountain Estates Road. What was Karlie doing for 45 minutes to an hour from when Richardy Eddy saw her?

If Melissa and Zac began searching for Karlie minutes after Melissa first noticed she was missing, wouldn't they have seen her if she was walking towards the highway or on the highway? The last witness saw her around 7:30 am at the end of White Mountain Estates Road. Melissa said her in her October 22 2018 Facebook Live video, "How could I have missed her?" How indeed. Even if Melissa didn't get there until a few minutes after 7:30, that leaves a very small window for Karlie to be abducted at the highway (which is the theory that her father and stepmother have been pushing since their appearance on Dr. Phil) without any other drivers seeing anything. The Mono County Sheriff's Office set up a checkpoint along the highway in the days following the disappearance in order to ask passing motorists if they had seen anyone matching Karlie's description walking along the highway. All of the people who were on the road during that time on October 13th stated that they didn't see anyone walking around or near the highway that morning.

Search continues for California teen Karlie Gusé​

November 5, 2018 - 5:31 pm

Shortly after dawn on Saturday, Oct. 13, neighbors in the eastern California community of Chalfant Valley spotted 16-year-old Karlie Lain Gusé walking by herself near the highway that leads toward Nevada. She hasn’t been seen since.

Despite an extensive air and ground search, an investigation by local law enforcement and the FBI, and nationwide publicity, no clues have surfaced in the mysterious case.

Last weekend the sheriff’s office in Mono County, California, which is leading the investigation, searched the desert with cadaver-sniffing dogs.

“The biggest clue in this case is that there’s no clue,” Sgt. Seth Clark said. “We think Karlie may still be out there.”

The sheriff’s office is treating the incident as a missing person case and said in a Facebook posting that there’s “no evidence of an abduction or any other crime.” But Karlie’s family suspects otherwise.

“Just the thought of her going to the highway,” said Melissa Gusé, 34, Karlie’s stepmother for the past nine years. “It makes me feel like somebody just happened to be driving by and grabbed her.”

On the night before she disappeared, Karlie told her family and boyfriend she feared for her own safety.

Dream turns to nightmare

A tall and slender girl with long hair and blue eyes, Karlie lives with her family in White Mountain Estates, a rural neighborhood along U.S. Highway 6, close to Boundary Peak, Nevada’s tallest mountain.

Many people who reside in the neighborhood have jobs or attend school in Bishop, California, 10 miles south on U.S. 6. Karlie is a junior at Bishop Union High School.

Melissa is an escrow assistant at a title company, and Karlie works there part-time. Karlie’s father Zachary Gusé, 43, works in construction. Zac and Melissa have two sons, ages 10 and 9, who live with the family.

In August, Zac and Melissa bought their dream house, a three-bedroom modular in Sierra View Estates.

But starting on Friday night Oct. 12, their life became a nightmare.

‘She got scared of me’

After school that Friday, Karlie told Melissa she was going to a high school football game.

Instead Karlie went to a house party with her boyfriend, 17, whose name is being withheld because he’s a minor.

The boyfriend told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that while they were at the party, Karlie smoked marijuana and started to panic. “She got scared of the music,” he said. “She got scared of me.”

Around 8 p.m., Karlie used her iPhone to call Melissa. “She was frantic,” Melissa said. “She wanted me to pick her up.”

When Melissa got to Bishop, she found Karlie running down the street. “She was really pale, looked like a ghost. Her pupils were really dilated.”

Karlie admitted to Melissa that she was high. It wasn’t her first time.

‘I really messed up today’

Earlier in the year, Karlie’s grades plummeted, and she got in trouble for coming to class while high on marijuana.

Zac and Melissa told Karlie the misbehavior needed to stop, and that seemed to have the desired effect. “Her grades were getting better, she was getting better,” Zac told the Review-Journal.

Then came the events of Oct. 12. After Melissa brought Karlie home, Zac could see his daughter was agitated. “She was scared of something,” he said. “I was trying to talk to her.”

At last Karlie headed to bed, and she asked Melissa to stay with her. But the restless teen couldn’t sleep. “She wanted to paint toenails,” Melissa said. “She wanted to read the Bible.”

Melissa decided to make a recording on her phone, so later she could replay it for Karlie as a teaching moment about drug use.

At one point in the eight-minute audio, Karlie says, “I really messed up today,” and Melissa tries to soothe her by saying, “We all do things in life that we regret, drugs especially.”

A tearful Karlie thanks Melissa and says, “I love you.” But when Melissa gives Karlie a salad, the teen blurts out, “This the devil’s lettuce!”

After Melissa urges Karlie to get some sleep, the troubled girl responds, “No, I don’t want to go to sleep. You’re going to kill me.” Melissa tries to reason with her. “Why would I kill you? That’s preposterous.”

“I’m just thinking all this demonic stuff,” Karlie sobs. “I can’t help it.”

Marijuana or LSD?

Zac believes Karlie ingested something stronger than marijuana. “It could’ve been laced with something else,” he said.

Karlie’s boyfriend insists marijuana was the culprit. “She hadn’t smoked in a while,” he said. “It could’ve triggered something.”

But Karlie’s birth mom Lindsay Fairley, 39, of Yerington, Nevada, said she suspects her daughter was high on LSD. Karlie had recently asked about the drug, and Lindsay warned that it was dangerous.

In the predawn hours of Oct. 13, Melissa fell asleep while lying beside Karlie. At about 5:45 a.m., Melissa woke up, looked over at Karlie and fell back asleep.

When Melissa awoke again around 7:15-7:30 a.m., Karlie was gone.

Three witnesses

Richard Eddy, 78, a retiree who used to work for the Los Angeles County sheriff’s office, lives down the street from the Gusé home.

At daybreak Oct. 13, Eddy was sipping coffee while relaxing in his Jacuzzi, which sits in an enclosed room facing the street.

Eddy said that sometime between 6:30 a.m. and 6:45 a.m., he saw a tall, slender female with long hair walk by. “She was looking up, looking around at the sky,” he said.

According to the Mono County sheriff’s office, two other witnesses reported seeing Karlie that morning in the vicinity of White Mountain Estates Road and Highway 6.

Karlie took nothing with her when she left home — not even her cellphone or glasses. She was wearing only sneakers, a white T-shirt and gray sweatpants, even though the temperature was in the low 40s.

‘Like ground zero’

After Karlie went missing, Zac and Melissa spent two hours driving around White Mountain Estates and the surrounding desert.

“Because of what happened the night before, the thought was she went on a walk to clear her head,” said Zac.

But when Zac phoned Lindsay, she urged him to call the police, so he dialed 911. That afternoon the Mono County sheriff’s office launched a search and rescue operation.

According to Sgt. Clark, the weeklong effort involved multiple helicopters, half-a-dozen scent dogs and upward of 60 personnel.

Rex Hamilton, a neighbor who watched the search unfold, told the Review-Journal, “This is a quiet little community, but for a few days it was like ground zero up here.”

The sheriff’s office also enlisted help from the FBI in analyzing cellphone data and pursing leads.

A week after Karlie disappeared, the sheriff’s office set up a checkpoint along Highway 6. About 50 people reported that they’d driven through Oct. 13, but none recalled seeing anyone matching Karlie’s description.

Even so, because of the sightings by three independent witnesses, the sheriff’s office concluded that Karlie walked down to the highway from her house, a distance of under one mile. What happened after that is anyone’s guess.

‘Your worst nightmare’

This past Saturday and Sunday, personnel from the sheriff’s office, assisted by volunteers, searched the desert again using K-9 teams. But they left the field Sunday afternoon without any apparent breakthrough.

Melissa believes Karlie was abducted. Zac concurs but also remarked, “It just doesn’t make sense that your worst nightmare would show up at that time.”

According to Caltrans, at peak times the section of Highway 6 where Karlie vanished handles about 200 cars per hour. Fewer cars pass by early on a Saturday morning.

Zac acknowledges that, given Karlie’s recent troubles, it’s possible she ran away. “Maybe’s there’s things she kept from us. Who knows?”

There’s also been speculation Karlie’s disappearance might be linked to the case of Madelyn Lingenfelter, 19, who parked her car along Mount Rose Highway near Reno on Sept. 19 and hasn’t been seen since. But no evidence has emerged to support this theory.

‘It hurts me to be attacked’

Karlie’s disappearance has attracted nationwide media coverage. The case has also been generating controversy on social media, especially after Lindsay spoke to Nancy Grace’s “Crime Online” and questioned Zac and Melissa’s account.

The Mono County sheriff’s office admonished in a Facebook posting that “hurtful comments directed to Karlie’s mother, stepmother and/or father just add to their suffering.”

Melissa was also accused of being a publicity seeker, after she launched a Facebook group called “Bring Karlie Home!” that now has more than 12,000 members.

“It hurts me to be attacked when I’m out here looking for her,” said Melissa.

Zac has been criticized for not being more visible. “People wonder why I haven’t been heard from, but I don’t do social media,” he explained.

Zac and Melissa said they’re cooperating with law enforcement and are willing to take polygraph exams.

The article from The Las Vegas Review was from before the marijuana that Karlie smoked was tested and proven not to be laced. Karlie's boyfriend and friends all smoked the same marijuana. Donald insisted on Facebook that it was only weed when Melissa started making posts that it was laced. At 10:30 pm on October 13, Donald received a text from Karlie's phone that read, "That weed was laced". That was the last text that came from Karlie's phone; the rest of the texts he received were from Melissa.

At 1:27 am, Melissa sent Donald a text that read, "Please pray."

At 2:12, Melissa texted a single word to him "Donald". (He didn't reply because he had fallen asleep).

At 5:16, Donald woke up and sent Melissa a text if Karlie was okay. At 5:30, Melissa replied, "No, not really." (In her October 13 Facebook Live video, Melissa stated that she last spoke to Karlie at 5:30 and that Karlie was last seen at 6:30).

At 8:28 am, when Melissa was supposedly out looking for Karlie, she texted Donald, "I think it was more than weed. She is acting like she is on Meth.' Donald replied, "Is she with you?" (If you recall, on her Dr. Phil appearance in March 2019, Melissa stated that she thought the marijuana was mixed with Meth because "Methamphetamines make you stay up." In her October 22 Facebook Live video, she said, "Being a mother, I wasn't going to take her (Karlie) to the hospital. She was high on marijuana. Why would I? It didn't cross my mind, she was fine.").

A year later, still no answers to California teen’s disappearance​

October 6, 2019 - 12:32 am

Since teenager Karlie Gusé disappeared nearly a year ago in eastern California, her stepmother, Melissa Gusé, has been a subject of accusation and suspicion.

Melissa told the Mono County Sheriff’s Office that on Oct. 12, 2018, she spent a long night comforting Karlie after the 16-year-old had a bad drug experience.

Melissa said that on the following day, she awoke to find Karlie missing. The Sheriff’s Office reported that Karlie was last seen walking in the direction of U.S. Highway 6.

But on the television show “Dr. Phil” and in an interview with longtime commentator and television host Nancy Grace, Karlie’s birth mother, Lindsay Fairley, of Yerington, Nevada, questioned this account.

Some people on social media went further, claiming that Karlie never made it out of the house alive.

Now two witnesses have confirmed to the Las Vegas Review-Journal that on the morning of Oct. 13, 2018, Karlie walked by herself toward the highway holding a piece of paper.

“I know her,” said Kenneth Dutton, 49, who lived around the corner. “I saw her.”

On October 2018, Karlie resided with Melissa; her father, Zachary Gusé; and two brothers, ages 10 and 9, in a rural neighborhood 10 miles north of Bishop, California.

On Friday, Oct. 12 of that year, while partying in Bishop with a group of friends, Karlie got high and began to panic.

“She hadn’t smoked in a while,” said her boyfriend, Donald Arrowood III, who’ll turn 18 later this month. “It could’ve triggered something.”

Melissa said she received a frantic cellphone call from Karlie, went to fetch the teen, and drove her back home.

After that came a long night as Karlie grappled with the effects of cannabis — or whatever else may have sparked the episode.

In an audio recording that Melissa made, Karlie could be heard telling her stepmom “I’m so glad you came” and “I love you” but also asking “Are you going to call 911?” and “Am I going to live until tomorrow?”

Melissa said she fell asleep alongside Karlie and woke up once to see the teenager still awake, lying on the bed with her blue eyes open.

When Melissa awoke again around 7:15 to 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, Karlie was gone.

The Mono County Sheriff’s Office launched a massive, weeklong search. Later, searchers returned to a field with cadaver-sniffing dogs.

After the official search ended, private search parties continued to crisscross the high desert and probe the nearby White Mountains.

The FBI scoured Karlie’s cellphone, which was still in the house when she disappeared, and looked online for digital footprints.

Missing-person posters of her appeared in stores, diners and gas stations across eastern California and beyond.

News of the case went viral. Thousands of people nationwide joined Facebook groups such as “Bring Karlie Home” and “Justice for Karlie Gusé.”

Although the tip line has received many phone calls, there have been no viable leads, said Lynda Bergh, a veteran missing children investigator who’s been working on the case as a volunteer.

Starting the day Karlie vanished, Melissa livestreamed updates about the search on Facebook. As these videos circulated online, many viewers became suspicious.

“One thing that bothers me as a licensed psychotherapist is the stepmother’s eyes shift constantly which indicates lying,” read a YouTube post by Francie Hartsog, 52, of Davidson, North Carolina.

Fairley, the teen’s biological mother, publicly questioned Melissa’s credibility.

“I’ve been hearing about four or five stories now,” she told Nancy Grace in an October 2018 podcast.

Bergh said “there were changes” in Melissa’s statements and “to me they didn’t make sense.” But she added that “it’s not uncommon to have parents change their stories or remember something they forgot.”

On a May 2019 episode of “Dr. Phil,” Fairley said, “I believe my daughter had a fatal drug overdose … and I believe that very early morning, Melissa saw her with her eyes open, and I think that’s when my daughter passed.”

When asked by the Review-Journal to explain the basis of these allegations, Fairley responded with an email reading: “Please send me a list of questions you have for me and I’ll run them past my attorney.”

Michael Boone, a private investigator retained by Fairley, said the Sheriff’s Office didn’t follow proper protocol.

“Karlie’s bedding wasn’t taken and analyzed,” he said. “No search warrant was served on the cars.”

Melissa has denied involvement in Karlie’s disappearance.

“It feels awful,” she said about the accusations. “When Karlie went missing that day, everything happened so fast. … She’s not dead; she is missing.”

Witness reports

Shortly after Karlie disappeared, the Mono County Sheriff’s Office issued a statement that she was “last seen in the early morning of Saturday, October 13, 2018, in White Mountain Estates in Chalfant, walking toward Highway 6.”

But on social media, people questioned the eyewitness sightings. An October 2018 post on Facebook wondered “Did Melissa walk down the street that morning and was mistaken for Karlie?”

Over time, this speculation morphed into a story that was repeated as fact.

Recently, when someone on YouTube asked “Then why are there reports of witnesses seeing Karlie on the road at daybreak,” the question generated a startling reply.

“It wasn’t Karlie,” wrote Amanda Earls, of Knoxville, Tennessee. “It was Melissa running around in hopes people would think it was Karlie. Karlie was long dead by then.”

When asked what information supports her claim, Earls told the Review-Journal, “I don’t have any. … This is just what I’m coming up with.”

Two of the eyewitnesses who reported sightings to the Sheriff’s Office spoke with the Review-Journal and confirmed their accounts.

Dutton lived down the street and around the corner, seven houses away from the Gusé home.

In a recent interview, Dutton told the Review-Journal that he saw Karlie walking through the neighborhood that Saturday morning.

Dutton said he recognized Karlie. He also said she was holding a piece of paper.

Richard Eddy, a retired motorcycle officer living down the street from the Gusés, offered a similar account.

Eddy told the Review-Journal that early in the morning on Oct. 13, 2018, he saw a thin female with long hair walk by his house, “looking up, looking around at the sky.” He also said she had a piece of paper in her hand.

“It was kind of unusual,” said Eddy. “We don’t have a lot of kids out walking.”

A third witness, described as someone who was heading out to cut firewood, hasn’t been publicly identified. According to the Sheriff’s Office, the “wooder” reported seeing a girl fitting Karlie’s description in the vicinity of Highway 6.

The two-lane route runs toward Bishop but also leads north into some of Nevada’s loneliest desert.

‘Nobody’s been cleared’

Sheriff Ingrid Braun told the Review-Journal that her office doesn’t have a theory about what happened to Karlie and remains “open to all possibilities.”

When asked whether she’d cleared Karlie’s family of involvement in her disappearance, Braun said, “Nobody’s been cleared of anything. Right now I don’t even have a crime to clear them of.”

As for the accusations on social media, Braun said, “Most of them don’t appear to be locals. The anonymity of the keyboard draws people who think they can solve crimes from afar.”

To date there’s been only one arrest, of 18-year-old Jaymes Dulin, on allegations that he provided cannabis to Karlie on Oct. 12, 2018.

In January 2019, Dulin pleaded guilty to a lesser related charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Although no one’s been charged in connection with Karlie’s disappearance, Braun said, “We’re treating the investigation as we would a crime.”

The Mono County Sheriff's Office botched this case big time, and they don't want to admit it IMO. Also, you don't have to be a local to see that so many things about this case don't add up.

Last edited:
I’m glad people are still interested in this case. I haven’t forgotten about Karlie since the very beginning.

Same here. It was the same with Brittanee Drexel, thought of her years and years after her disappearance, and I'm hoping that even after this long, there's resolution and justice for Karlie also after whatever harm may have come her way.

I’m glad people are still interested in this case. I haven’t forgotten about Karlie since the very beginning.
I only started doing a deep dive into this case recently, but I do remember when it happened and watched a couple of videos on it back then. The more I looked into it, the more confusing it became. The stepmother has said so many conflicting things, it's alarming and I can't believe that people don't see that. Now that we know about Karlie's father's alcoholism and his arrest for injuring the stepmother, so many things make sense now. Zac and Melissa seem like the kind of people who refuse to acknowledge any problems in the family and want to keep secrets intact. As I said, it seems that they're not looking for Karlie anymore and haven't for a long time. It breaks my heart. I hope that we will have answers one day.

Noirdame, what brings you here after so many years? I’m happy we can talk about Karlie again. Don’t know why her story has stuck with me so long.
I must have anticipated this post because I just wrote a reply to your other one LOL. It's hard to explain, I saw a couple more videos about it recently and looked it up on Reddit. I was so surprised to see that so many people were buying the stepmother's version of events.

I must have anticipated this post because I just wrote a reply to your other one LOL. It's hard to explain, I saw a couple more videos about it recently and looked it up on Reddit. I was so surprised to see that so many people were buying the stepmother's version of events.
Really? I didn’t think anyone believed her.

I believe none of that.
I don't believe it either. The PEOPLE documentary was biased in Melissa and Zac Guse's favor and they didn't have to answer any in depth or detailed questions. They also told a different and less detailed story of what happened leading up to Karlie's disappearance. Their stories are always changing, which is never good.

I gritted my teeth and re-watched the PEOPLE documentary. It makes my blood boil. It was completely biased. They had access to the entire recording, "no more secrets" as they put it, but they played less than a minute of it. They had access to Melissa's Facebook Live videos, at least some of them, but they only played brief snippets, and the only inconsistency they addressed was Melissa's initial description of what Karlie was wearing changed. (Note that when she reported Karlie missing, she said that she was wearing jeans and a sweater, which turned to jeans and a T-shirt in her first video, and then changed to sweatpants and a T-shirt to match the description of the "witnesses"). That was excused because she didn't see Karlie leave, but then why did you say what she was wearing if you didn't know? There was also subtle victim-blaming. The Guses were one perfect, happy family until Karlie started dating her boyfriend and smoking marijuana (trying to paint Karlie as the problem, so of course, no mention of Zac's alcoholism or tendency to become violent when intoxicated). Here, Melissa claims that she knew before she picked Karlie up that she had lied to her about being at the football game, but in her October 22 2018 video, she said she only found out when Karlie supposedly told her after Melissa picked her up. Why does Melissa feel the need to say that Karlie lied to her? If your child is missing, that shouldn't be something that stands out in your mind, but Melissa brings it up again, to portray Karlie in a negative light.

Once again, Melissa described Karlie as "paranoid" and said that at one point Karlie was screaming at her to slow down because she thought the car was going to kill her. Interesting. Zac described Karlie as "paranoid" and standing in a corner in the kitchen. He claimed that Karlie pointed to him and said "Who is that?" and Melissa said, "It's your dad, silly." Then he said that Karlie told him she had smoked pot. They then justified their decision not to seek medical attention for her. Zac said he wasn't worried. Zac said he checked in on Karlie, and that Melissa was in her room with her, and then he went to bed. Melissa then said, "Around 5:45, Karlie was still sitting next to me, just doodling, writing on a piece of paper, she was calmed down at that point, and then, at 6 am, I just dozed off. And then around 7:15 am, I woke up, and she was not next to me. I got up out of bed in a panic and looked in all the rooms, in the backyard. I went over to our bedroom and Zac was still in bed, and I said, "Karlie's gone," and he was like, "What?" Zac then stated, "I immediately said, "Check the boys' room, 'cause she would sleep with them in there, or the boys would sleep with her, and she wasn't." Melissa: "I immediately got my keys, into my car and started driving around." Zac: "And that's when I called her cell phone and saw that her phone was down on the same spot it had been the night before. At that point, I started panicking. I drove up to the highest point and I started looking in the whole valley to see I if I could see her, walking out in the desert. Something, anything, anywhere." Melissa: "After searching for two hours, I saw our neighbor down the street, and I said, "Hey, did you happen to see a teenage girl walking around this morning?" and he said, "Yeah, she was walking down the street and she was headed South." At that point, we called the police." Melissa mentioned that she called Karlie's boyfriend and asked him if he had seen or heard from her. (Remember, Melissa sent a text to Donald at 8:28 am which read "I think it was more than just weed. She is acting like she is on Meth." This was when she was supposedly out looking for Karlie). Zac then said, "I never saw this kind of behavior from her before. She was scared to death of something."

Not only is this story different from what Melissa stated in her October 22 Facebook video and what they said on Dr Phil, but they spoke of Karlie in distant terms, and what they said sounds rehearsed. Something that Melissa stated about searching for Karlie in the Facebook video was not included in the documentary - on how she drove down the street to Highway 6 (at the end of White Mountain Estates), which is a two-minute drive, within the timeline that the last two witnesses supposedly saw Karlie, yet Melissa didn't see her. "How could I have missed her?" Melissa asked rhetorically. Well, there's only one explanation - Karlie was never out there. Of course, she and Zac are pushing the abduction/trafficked theory and it's obvious that they want people to believe this.

Sheriff Ingrid Braun was there to essentially say, "We did everything by the book" (yeah right) and to defend Zac and Melissa. The Guses were quick to say how cold and dangerous it can get there. It also wasn't mentioned that Karlie's boyfriend and other friends who were with her that night were threatened with arrests if they didn't hand over the bong that held the marijuana.

Of course, it wouldn't be complete without Melissa and Zac playing the victim; they blamed their appearance on Dr. Phil (and conveniently, their suspicious behavior was never shown) and Lindsay as well as social media for "victimizing" them. Melissa cried when she was accused of lying in the Dateline interview. Well, newsflash, you did lie. An innocent parent of a missing child does not deliberately give misinformation. Of course, people are going to find that suspicious. You haven't done yourself any favors by acting suspicious and evasive.

They also said that Karlie was last seen on the east side of the highway, at the intersection, not inside the barbed wire fence.

This "documentary" is just another way to mislead the public. The Mono County Sheriff's Office needs to take responsibility for the mishandling of this case. Is it worth a young girl's life to deny responsibility and cover up a crime?

Last edited:
Also, once again, Zac stated in the People documentary, "There's no handbook for this" as he did on Dr. Phil and as Melissa has posted on social media, as an excuse for their behavior. They tend to re-use that phrase a lot. How many parents of missing children repeatedly change their story of what happened leading up to their child's disappearance? This becomes doubly important if they were the last ones to see the victim before they went missing.

I wonder what Donald thinks happened to Karlie?
Has he ever voiced his opinion/theory? seems to be very quiet.

I've never seen him interviewed. He disagreed with Melissa about several things on social media following Karlie's disappearance and called her out on it (as did his mother), but that's as far as it goes. I think it's odd that we rarely hear from Karlie's friends, apart from one who appeared in the PEOPLE documentary (her mother happens to be friends with Melissa), and one who appeared in the FBI series of videos in late 2020. However, neither of these friends mentioned that Karlie was afraid that she had been tracked on her phone in the weeks before she went missing and neither one of these friends was with her on the night before she vanished. I'm not saying these friends aren't legit, it's just interesting that the people who were with her the night before at the friend's house have never publicly come forward or been interviewed for news segments, etc.

Last edited:

Another video from the late 2020 FBI series, The Things They Carry. This is Karlie's brother Kole (Zac and Melissa's son). It's heartbreaking to hear him talk about what he thinks might have happened to Karlie; on the other hand, it feels very exploitative to make this child describe his worst fear of what might have happened to his sister. It's one of many things that makes me question Zac and Melissa's parenting skills. Several people were interviewed for this series, but the main goal seems to have been to convince people that Zac and Melissa had no involvement in Karlie's disappearance. Also, the atmosphere of these videos is just . . . somber, hopeless, as if they want it known that Karlie will never be found, even though they still ask for people to come forward with tips. Conveniently, Melissa and Zac were not asked to talk about the circumstances leading up to Karlie's disappearance.

The house on Ponderosa Street (from when it was on the market in 2019) where the first witness, Richard Eddy, supposedly saw a person matching Karlie's description from a window when he was in a hot tub. Although he did own the house, it was his son, Richard Eddy Jr, who lived there at the time of Karlie's disappearance. I apologize for the pictures being so small. You can see that it's quite a distance from the house to the street.

36poderosastreetrichardeddya3fd854939758abffbb6297638997d8c-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

36poderosastreetrichardeddya5f2e6071355e90ed91c41d5415d095f-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

This is the spa room where the hot tub is located

64452b889c4f60b52132308cefbb2f7b-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

The second witness, Kenneth Dutton (the only person who stated that it was definitively Karlie that he saw), lived on Sequoia Street, which is the next street over from Ponderosa, and the closest to Highway 6. These pictures are from when the house was for sale in 2019.

5502746eb2243a97466d7bede2a75b8e-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

663610c41124931f1045b267339d7217-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

ae1ae03cfd5675908dae35413fa6ccf3-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

Last edited:
I stated before that I suspect that Karlie's mother Lindsay may have been threatened with legal action and that could be why she's not speaking out about her daughter's case anymore. In a YouTube interview a few years ago (which has since been taken down), she said that Zac hired an attorney to silence her and that her son Kane no longer speaks to her. She also did a couple of interviews for the podcast series Missing The Truth (which is one of the YouTube channels that was doing a deep dive on this case and then suddenly stopped making videos about it). In one of the interviews, Lindsay explained why she stopped participating in the searches. A woman claiming to be a psychic (who was supposedly involved in the search with the cadaver dogs) called Lindsay and told her that Karlie's body had been found and even gave her directions. When she arrived in Bishop, she was told that the search was already underway and when no one would assist her she drove to the area where she was told Karlie's body was and began searching and digging. Lindsay feels that she was put on a witch hunt to humiliate her and scare her off from searching for Karlie. Melissa, Zac, their supporters, and the Mono County Sheriff's Office have been accusing Lindsay and the PIs she hired of damaging the investigation, which is so ironic.

Melissa has said conflicting things about the case on Facebook (conveniently, these posts have since been deleted). At one point she was trying to convince people that Karlie committed suicide. Lindsay has described Melissa as having a Jekyll and Hyde personality.

Today is Karlie's birthday

karlie3456545678654345676543567.jpgkarlie67654567876543456787654.jpg

karlielindsay.jpg

The Bring Karlie Home Facebook page (started by the stepmother) did post recently, just to state that there is no new information. I know I've said this before, it's very strange that there's so little activity. Melissa doesn't post directly to the page anymore, she has the admins do it for her. There is another Facebook page, run on behalf of Karlie's mother Lindsay, called Karlie Voice. The admin of that page posts more consistently and has a lot of screenshots of the past comments made by Melissa and the Mono County Sheriff's Office, just to show the contradictions and how the statements and stories have changed. It's so frustrating how nothing is being done on this case anymore. I'm starting to suspect that Zac and Melissa had help covering this up and that there is corruption within local law enforcement. It just doesn't make sense otherwise, IMO. I'm in Canada so I can't do much, and that adds to my frustration. I wish I had paid closer attention to this case from the beginning. I guess it's better late than never, but still. Happy Birthday, Karlie. You deserved so much better and I hope that we will have answers one day as to what happened to you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UCG
Back