GUILTY CA - Manuel Ortega & others for gang rape of 15yo girl, Richmond, 2009

Bolded by me.
These were my thoughts, too--please understand I'm NOT blaming the victim. I think changing the story may be an effort by LE to protect the victim.

The first reports were that she was meeting a guy she knew so they could be alone...but they have changed the story to "her father was picking her up". I think maybe she was lured there by a guy she thought was a friend.

It never should have happened...she's 15 years old, and kids are gonna do some dumb things. I do enough dumb things and I'm old! Where is the parental supervision? Do these parents even care? 23rd St. in Richmond at 9:30 at night is NOT a safe place.

It's a good thing the police got there when they did, or I fear the outcome would have been much more tragic.
Our local news has consistently reported that she was going to get a ride from her father and then ran into some guy that was behind a cyclone fence and asked her to join them "party" in a courtyard. they gave her a lot of alcohol and she became incapacitated. The father was trying to call her and find her but was not able to locate her.

Our local news has consistently reported that she was going to get a ride from her father and then ran into some guy that was behind a cyclone fence and asked her to join them "party" in a courtyard. they gave her a lot of alcohol and she became incapacitated. The father was trying to call her and find her but was not able to locate her.

This is the type of case that I wish would be closely tracked by a crime oriented website. However, I suspect updates will not be easy to obtain.

This is the type of case that I wish would be closely tracked by a crime oriented website. However, I suspect updates will not be easy to obtain.
I agree. I am going to try and follow this one because it is just jaw dropping to me.

I also feel the school bears responsibility. This is known to be a high crime area and a school that has had previously problems. It just is not good enough that the police/administration/parents were not patrolling the grounds the entire time of the dance.

My kid didn't go to school in an area with any problems and our school would not hold dances unless enough parents had signed up to volunteer during the evening. That included supervising locked doors while the dance was on and only one exit, designated pick up spots, designated outdoor supervision spots and and patrolling the parking lot and grounds on a continous basis.
Maybe that's why nothing ever happened.

<snip>

October 28, 2009 | 7:39 am

Outrage grew in a Bay Area town over the gang rape of a 15-year-old girl as police made more arrests overnight.

National attention has been focused in Richmond over what police described as a gang rape of a 15-year-old student who struggled with attackers -- some of whom took photos and laughed -- as more than a dozen witnesses passed by and did nothing. Police said last night that as many as 20 people saw the attack, and some might have shot video on their cellphones.

"We are outraged that this happened," Richmond Mayor Gayle McLaughlin told reporters Tuesday.

Overnight, Richmond police served search warrants at the homes of several suspects and arrested three people, bringing the total number of suspects in custody to five.

more here

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...d-girl-witnesses-by-as-many-as-20-people.html

Agree with your entire post, mom_of_five. And I'd like to see some laws passed that would penalize these onlookers for recording these attacks and not immediately notifying and turning over these videos to law enforcement.

And publish their names, and put pictures of them out there !!

There isn't a kid alive who doesn't have a cell phone--someone could have called for help...

Can you provide a link that says her father was trying to locate her? I hope it's true.

This is just horrible to hear. I do hope they recover the cell phone videos. that will be a child *advertiser censored* charge for everyone of the that thought nothing of videoing the rape of this innocent child.

It stuns me that they all have cell phones but instead of calling for help and being HUMANE, they (allegedly) take pictures of a horrendous crime! WTF!!

I heard two versions of how/why she left the dance: the first was that she left the dance with a guy she thought was a friend so they could be alone--possibly he was actually luring her to this secluded spot and she didn't know other boys were there drinking; the second was that her father was picking her up and she left to meet him.

JBean, your version sounds more likely.

I wonder if her dad called the police when he couldn't find her?

I wish we could all contribute to the award-I hope that locals with kids this age are having some very very serious conversations with their children and that they are being marched to LE if they know anything....

I wish we could all contribute to the award-I hope that locals with kids this age are having some very very serious conversations with their children and that they are being marched to LE if they know anything....

BBM

ITA.

Sadly, though, I somehow doubt that they are/will; people don't really seem to have the same sense of civic responsibility any more, and I would bet a lot of parents just don't want their kids to be involved, even if they weren't there and only heard things (or saw the pics/vids) later.

5 now in custody. Here's a pic of Ortega:

read more at:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/28/BA621ABOF6.DTL&tsp=1

ba-richmond28_PH_0500770601.jpg

For anyone who hasn't attended a high school dance in the last decade, supervision really doesn't seem to be a top priority. I've seen less extreme situations at a strip club than I did at a few school dances. Sadly, it doesn't surprise me in the least that school officials weren't privy to what was happening.

But it's beyond pathetic it took THAT long for one measly student to witness it, walk for a minute in the opposite direction and call 911

This horrible gang rape brings to mind the case in the early 80's of a young woman raped on a pool table in a New Bedford bar. A bar full of men and women and not one came to her rescue. During the trial, the victim was accused of asking for trouble since she was wearing a red dress. Here is a link to read more
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,952343-2,00.html

I believe there was a movie made also - perhaps on Lifetime. Anyway, it is very sad that our society has not progressed in 25 yrs.

The attack in Richmond makes me sick and disgusted!!

I just heard a board member on HNL saying "this was inappropriate behavior." Excuse me!! This was in-humane behavior!!

This horrible gang rape brings to mind the case in the early 80's of a young woman raped on a pool table in a New Bedford bar. A bar full of men and women and not one came to her rescue. During the trial, the victim was accused of asking for trouble since she was wearing a red dress. Here is a link to read more

I believe there was a movie made also - perhaps on Lifetime. Anyway, it is very sad that our society has not progressed in 25 yrs.

I just heard a board member on HNL saying "this was inappropriate behavior." Excuse me!! This was in-humane behavior!!

Jodie Foster was in a movie called The Accused - story very similar to the New Bedford attack.

Speaking of 'inappropriate behavior', it seems the judicial system is perfectly capable of it as well:

<snip>

GAITHERSBURG, Md. - A father is condemning the Montgomery County Schools and the judicial system on Wednesday after the teens who raped his 15-year-old daughter got probation and were allowed to return to school.

http://www.news8.net/news/stories/1009/673111.html?ref=n8

How horrible for the Gaithersburg girl & her family!!

bolded by me.

Inappropriate behavior? good grief. How can someone make such a gross understatement?

BTW--There was a movie made about that incident in New Bedford--Jodie Foster was in it. It's called "The Accused". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094608/

Sorry TexasMist!! We may have been posting this at the same time!!!

"Detective Ken Greco said some of the suspects have shown no remorse during police interviews. He called the incident "disgusting" and "a sad state of affairs."

"This is the worst thing I've heard of," said Greco, who has been in law enforcement for 29 years. "It just shocked the conscience of responding officers."

The girl knew at least one of the assailants, the 15-year-old boy, investigators said."

(From the link you posted.)

I am so 'disgusted' by this whole thing I don't even have the words to express it with out some *&)*& :sick:<< needed!! It is my understanding those that watched, witnessed, walked by and didn't make a call or tell an authority figure can not and will not have charges brought against them. This too makes me angry :furious: beyond words. I can not imagine the pain and suffering she has endured, I pray for this young girl and her family.

I would like to know what the HE** the adults/security were doing at this dance! In 1988 I was in Junior high school in olympia washington state, I attended a dance. The students were told once in there was no out till it was over or your parents came in to get you. A few students myself included desided to test this, we snuck out. It did not take but minutes and they 'teachers, parent, chaparones, etc' were searching in force for us some just gave in to being found and some tried to hide (me << bad choice I know) they didn't give up till they had every single one of us in hand! The punishment was a weeks worth of lunches in the principals office and after school we had an hours worth of yard work for a week. In addition to all of that we were banned from attending any more dances until High School.

As for parents of the students that seen it, heard about it, etc and did nothing. If I got word from My child or evidence they knew, or heard about it while it was happening and did nothing, if I found imagies on their phone of this crime. I would drag their little *advertiser censored**'s down to the police department to hand over anything and everything they knew including their phones if used for the purpose of documenting this crime. If it were determined my child had in anyway participated, done something illeagle I would make sure they stood in line for their just punishment!!! This is outragouse, disgusting and just plain intolerable. I did not nor am I raising my child to be like this, hence my 101% conviction as a parent this is what I would do!! My hope and wish is that all parents would do the same!! (I know this is a pipe dream, way to many parents today cover for their children. I love my children too and I would hate to have to do this but for their sake as well as mine and society's I would do what I believe needed to be done.)

I am done ranting...

I see no reason the press can not post pictures of the spectators since they were not doing anything criminal and are not being charged. It would just be like posting a picture of the stands at a football game.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back