GUILTY CA - Mark & Jacob Iskander, 11 and 9, Killed by Drunk Socialite Rebecca Grossman in Veh vs Ped Hit & Run - Los Angeles, 2020 *GUILTY on all counts*

The judge is rather forgiving of her violations, giving her several free passes.

Brandolino also declined to revoke Grossman’s in-custody telephone and visitation privileges, which prosecutors had requested he do after they accused her of trying to influence witnesses and the judge himself from behind bars. In Brandolino’s view, the recorded phone conversations they presented as evidence of wrongdoing mostly showed Grossman’s “naivete” and did not amount to criminal conduct.
The judge went on to say that Nolan has had a distinguished legal career, and rejected out of hand the notion that such a lawyer would “go against his professional responsibility” by trying to influence the court—or that such an effort might work.

This was one example of Grossman’s “naivete,” according to Brandolino: “It shows the state of mind that she’s in post-verdict, but it’s not something that concerns the court.”

Prosecutors pushed back, with Gould arguing that Grossman was “directing improper conduct” by asking her 19-year-old daughter Alexis to contact a potential defense witness with whom she went to school, for instance.

Castro noted that Grossman is a 60-year-old woman who has been involved in a criminal case for nearly four years, with counsel from 10 attorneys by now.

“Simply characterizing it as naivete at this point is not sufficient,” she said.

But Brandolino saw the calls as attempts by Grossman to direct people to try to get information as a basis for a new trial, which is not illegal.

“I don’t see it as witness tampering, I see it as someone who believes that she was railroaded. . . It’s not something that in my view (requires) sanctions at this point,” he said.

The judge took a similar view of the defendant’s desire to ask Scott Erickson, her former boyfriend and the driver blamed by her defense for hitting the Iskander brothers first, to record a video confession.

“I get her frustration, I get her sadness based on what’s happened to her,” Brandolino said. “But I don’t think this is worthy of any action. They’re not telling Scott Erickson to do anything or say anything that they don’t believe is true, whether or not it is true.”

The judge is rather forgiving of her violations, giving her several free passes.

Brandolino also declined to revoke Grossman’s in-custody telephone and visitation privileges, which prosecutors had requested he do after they accused her of trying to influence witnesses and the judge himself from behind bars. In Brandolino’s view, the recorded phone conversations they presented as evidence of wrongdoing mostly showed Grossman’s “naivete” and did not amount to criminal conduct.
The judge went on to say that Nolan has had a distinguished legal career, and rejected out of hand the notion that such a lawyer would “go against his professional responsibility” by trying to influence the court—or that such an effort might work.

This was one example of Grossman’s “naivete,” according to Brandolino: “It shows the state of mind that she’s in post-verdict, but it’s not something that concerns the court.”

Prosecutors pushed back, with Gould arguing that Grossman was “directing improper conduct” by asking her 19-year-old daughter Alexis to contact a potential defense witness with whom she went to school, for instance.

Castro noted that Grossman is a 60-year-old woman who has been involved in a criminal case for nearly four years, with counsel from 10 attorneys by now.

“Simply characterizing it as naivete at this point is not sufficient,” she said.

But Brandolino saw the calls as attempts by Grossman to direct people to try to get information as a basis for a new trial, which is not illegal.

“I don’t see it as witness tampering, I see it as someone who believes that she was railroaded. . . It’s not something that in my view (requires) sanctions at this point,” he said.

The judge took a similar view of the defendant’s desire to ask Scott Erickson, her former boyfriend and the driver blamed by her defense for hitting the Iskander brothers first, to record a video confession.

“I get her frustration, I get her sadness based on what’s happened to her,” Brandolino said. “But I don’t think this is worthy of any action. They’re not telling Scott Erickson to do anything or say anything that they don’t believe is true, whether or not it is true.”
“I get her frustration, I get her sadness based on what’s happened to her,” Brandolino said. “But I don’t think this is worthy of any action. They’re not telling Scott Erickson to do anything or say anything that they don’t believe is true, whether or not it is true.

What happened to HER??? What about what her actions brought to the Islander family?
She had a choice: not to drive drunk

I am stunned by the judge's failure to uphold his own orders on no-contact for the many violations that he is allowing RG to have. Stunned.

The HIPAA issue by both RG and Dr. Grossman should be reported to the Medical Board of California. He is allowing his knowledge of a patient's relationship to a doctor to be used in a public court of law, and is actually promoting witness intimidation. Dr. Grossman is clearly used to great respect and privilege, but he is going too far in abusing patient rights for his family's benefit.

Judge Brandolino is not showing respect to the victims, either. He has not sanctioned RG for her violating the no-contact rule with the patient's family.

I hope a pro bono attorney can take on their cause, too.

“I get her frustration, I get her sadness based on what’s happened to her,” Brandolino said. “But I don’t think this is worthy of any action. They’re not telling Scott Erickson to do anything or say anything that they don’t believe is true, whether or not it is true.

What happened to HER??? What about what her actions brought to the Islander family?
She had a choice: not to drive drunk

She also had a choice to abide by the rules set down by the judge: No contact with the family of the victims.

No witness tampering
No jury tampering
No release of materials sealed by the court.

Brandolino is using the terms: naivete, railroaded, frustration

The convicted felon has been found guilty of two counts each of second-degree murder and vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence and one count of hit-and-run resulting in death. Those are legal terms of fact.

These other words are useless placating emotional terms that are inappropriate for the gravity of the crimes the woman has been convicted of.

More information on the civil lawsuit, and the intersection where the boys were killed, now has a beacon for pedestrian crossing.
This is called a HAWK beacon.
The latest Google Street View shows it:

This is called a HAWK beacon.

The latest Google Street View shows it:

At the speeds she was going and the negligent way she was road-racing, I seriously doubt a Hawk beacon would have prevented her from hitting those two boys at a fatal speed.

It will work for those drivers who are obeying the speed limit and watching out for pedestrians, thankfully.

I am very concerned with the tone and impression that this judge is giving.
Who is responsible for deciding her sentence? Did I get the impression it is this judge?! I hope it is the jury….
I am VERY concerned.

I am very concerned with the tone and impression that this judge is giving.
Who is responsible for deciding her sentence? Did I get the impression it is this judge?! I hope it is the jury….
I am VERY concerned.
Me too.

I believe Judge Brandolino has given out a ridiculously lenient sentence for a similar second-degree murder conviction that happened where one person was killed.

* corrected name spelling

Last edited:
California state guidelines for second-degree murder stipulate a minimum of 15 years in prison. On two charges, that would be 30 years

However, if the charges get reduced to involuntary manslaughter, there is a smorgasbord of options that include house arrest and 2+ years in prison.

I think this must be their strategy at this point, and then get the sentencing for involunatry manslaughter reduced to time served or other such namby-pamby non-incarceration for the death of 2 children.

That is if Scott Erickson doesn't suddenly rock up and say he was driving both the black and the white Mercedes and he was the only one that struck the children and it;'s all his fault and he'd like to spend the next 30 years as a guest of the California penal system.

California state guidelines for second-degree murder stipulate a minimum of 15 years in prison. On two charges, that would be 30 years

However, if the charges get reduced to involuntary manslaughter, there is a smorgasbord of options that include house arrest and 2+ years in prison.

I think this must be their strategy at this point, and then get the sentencing for involunatry manslaughter reduced to time served or other such namby-pamby non-incarceration for the death of 2 children.

That is if Scott Erickson doesn't suddenly rock up and say he was driving both the black and the white Mercedes and he was the only one that struck the children and it;'s all his fault and he'd like to spend the next 30 years as a guest of the California penal system.

Any way to shorten the 'sentence' RG caused the Iskander family -- and continues to throw at them???

jmho and all

I hope that her phone time is limited. Her family needs a break from her constant demands and drama. Especially her daughter.
I can't help but wonder if maybe her family has been "drinking the KoolAid" so to speak and honestly believes she's innocent.
With all the evidence from the scene it's hard to believe that's the case but who knows.......JMO

Holy Moly! What the heck is going on here!?! He's concerned about what happened to "her"? What about what happened to the Iskander Family. ??

I can't help but wonder if maybe her family has been "drinking the KoolAid" so to speak and honestly believes she's innocent.
With all the evidence from the scene it's hard to believe that's the case but who knows.......JMO

Her family has overlooked the numerous speeding tickets. They have overlooked her day drinking. They have overlooked her dalliances with a man not her husband, which her famous husband tolerates publicly. And likely there is a lot more of her misbehaving they have had to ignore. It seems as if the family is under her complete control and just follows the rules because that's what seems to keep this very odd household running. They may not have the option to belive otherwise. Certainly that daughter that was 16 when this happened has been conscripted as a useful shield. Just as her husband has been conscripted from the job that likely gives him immense personal satisfaction.

I think the Foundation and Dr. Grossman's previous good works and reputation have insulated them from their drift into huge arrogance and ultra-priviledge. Being more worthy than the average joe and therefore, the laws don't apply to them as they do to others. I do know some physicians who are very decent people, and then there are the surprises when you meet some and figure out they really think they are divine and worthy of worship, and so do their spouses.

Last edited:
I wish there was a way of excusing Judge Brandolino from sentencing

I agree. I have been very disturbed by his actions. Especially during the jury instructions when he practically spoon fed them the justification for the lesser charges.

And now this outrage. He is acting like she is a naughty teen, rather than a criminal, convicted of murder. She KNEW exactly what she was doing, and has been directing it from jail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back