CA CA - Mark Wilson, 13, Quincy, 4 Nov 1967

Just to throw this out,

Let's say those remains in the well are NOT Mark. Wouldn't that at least create a stronger likelihood of an abduction theory? I just don't know what to think anymore? Was Mark a curious and adventurous kid who may have been exploring the well, fell in, and died unable to get out? Or if he made it out to the roadside, we know that there were many narrow roads and it was near dusk when Mark went to the movies, or started out for the movies. Many narrow side-streets and not a lot of places to run, if he caught a "bad ride."

I still think it is a long shot that Mark's abductor could have killed him and thrown his remains in the well. The reason for this is because there's no evidence that says "We can rule accident out but not foul play. We also can't rule out foul play, but not accident." The only thing that I can say with reasonable certainty is Mark did NOT just run away. Something happened to him. I will not finger-point at anybody for accusations. My hope is to get this case solved. To find out what really happened so Mark and his family get justice and closure for this tragedy.

Satch

the trouble with all these assumptions is the concept Mark was abducted and murdered. Remove that aspect from your scope and you'll be closer to the truth. There's nothing to indicate Mark didn't die by accident. 'Death by Misadventure' is what they call it in the UK.

The idea a different body in the well indicates higher likelihood Mark was 'kidnapped' is incorrect. It has zero influence on what happened to Mark, both logically and statistically.

the trouble with all these assumptions is the concept Mark was abducted and murdered. Remove that aspect from your scope and you'll be closer to the truth. There's nothing to indicate Mark didn't die by accident. 'Death by Misadventure' is what they call it in the UK.

The idea a different body in the well indicates higher likelihood Mark was 'kidnapped' is incorrect. It has zero influence on what happened to Mark, both logically and statistically.

My take is that if we remove the kidnapping theory, this whole case is one of these things:

1.) The remains in the well are Mark and closure finally happens in this sad case.
2.) The remains in the well are not Mark, he had an accident someplace, died from exposure and his body as never recovered

Tragically, I can't dismiss the abduction theory, because if Mark hitchhiked, how do we know that something bad didn't happen to him? Dmac, do you have any information as to when that well's "remains" are going to be checked?

Regards,

Satch

Sheriff Hagwood's request for funding was refused months back. Without private funding or some type of budgetary windfall (chances: zero), the well won't be touched.

I can't dismiss Mark was intending to hitch-hike to a movie he begged for money to see, etc., but I know the area, and I know how kids wander.

Yes, Mark WAS a kid rather than an adult, and seemed to love being alone to invent his own entertainment. The hills he lived in are mining and logging territory, filled with places no Lassie could save a kid from, and I think Mark's disappearance/death was accidental.

Remember my <modsnipped> gripe that not all missing persons are attributable to a serial killer? Likewise, not all 'missing' people are either missing, kidnapped, or murdered-- particularly when they come from rural areas like Mark's native Meadow Valley.

Without more info, I'm compelled to believe Mark died wandering in the mining territory and wilderness that was his back yard and playground. Presuming he was kidnapped, raped, and murdered- or sold into white slavery? Only one of these theories sounds idiotic. Falling down a well (a mining artifact) isn't a Lassie punchline, it's a reality in Plumas County.

Hagwood's work recently brought more light to Mark's case than everything LE had from Day One, and it points to Mark doing exactly what I did at his age: exploring alone without backup- and Lassie is a myth.

Websleuths saw Mark's situation long prior to Hagwood's recent work- this thread about Mark predates the sheriff's recent revelations by years.

I've also wandered about 90 degrees either way- not 180- from when I first pondered the cause of Mark's disappearance. I speak my mind and shift opinion more often than most.

Thanks to those who started this thread and keep it alive, and allow me to speak my changing mind unfettered.

Websleuths saw Mark's situation long prior to Hagwood's recent work- this thread about Mark predates the sheriff's recent revelations by years.

I've also wandered about 90 degrees either way- not 180- from when I first pondered the cause of Mark's disappearance. I speak my mind and shift opinion more often than most.

Thanks to those who started this thread and keep it alive, and allow me to speak my changing mind unfettered.

Thanks everyone,

Even though as reported there are a lot of mining and logging territories in the area, and even if we go on the fact of Mark being an adventurous kid, it would seem that Mark knew the area. How long had the Wilson's resided there? What we can't also rule out is new mining construction and Mark may not have fallen into that well at all, but just slipped down a mine-shaft in the area. Making this an accident situation.

I find it hard to believe that all these years that that well was never checked. It's possible to take stories to the extreme of Mark being killed and his perpetrator buried his remains in the well. Why would that well be checked now, and not in November of 1967? Unless something has changed and there was a cover-up involved. Some death-bed confessor says, "Mark's down in that well." but "I have to wait til I die for fear of retaliation." The person that knows the information knows that perpetrator is dead. Or the perpetrator on his death-bed has confessed and LE does not want to release that information.

Why wasn't that well checked years ago?

Satch

Students investigate well site Two students from the California State University of Sacramento collected DNA evidence from a well in Meadow Valley on March 28 to determine if it could be the final resting place for 13-year-old Mark Wilson. The teen left his Meadow Valley home on foot 46 years ago and was never seen again.

Source: http://www.plumasnews.com/

A great thank you to these students who worked to collect the DNA samples that it seems the Sheriff's Department could not do for economic or political reasons. Maybe we will finally get closure in this case! One note is that this November will mark 49 years since Mark vanished when he went to the movies, not 46 years.

Satch

How terrible to read they left those bones in the well for years, poor family :(

How terrible to read they left those bones in the well for years, poor family :(
Now we just have to wait for DNA testing to be completed. One hopes that won't take too many years.

anxious to hear about the test results. any updates. been almost a year since dna evidence was collected? what was the evidence?

anxious to hear about the test results. any updates. been almost a year since dna evidence was collected? what was the evidence?

This article states that no usable DNA was found in the well, from what I understand. It also mentions that the current landowners want to fill in the well and put the matter to rest (which I strongly disagree with).

http://www.plumasnews.com/meadow-valley-couple-enough/

This article states that no usable DNA was found in the well, from what I understand. It also mentions that the current landowners want to fill in the well and put the matter to rest (which I strongly disagree with).

http://www.plumasnews.com/meadow-valley-couple-enough/

How far was the Wilson's home from this property? I don't think Mark is in the well. I think he was probably abducted. Sad, but that seems a stronger possibility than his remains in the well.

Satch

This will make 53 years since Mark disappeared. Where are you Mark? What happened to you? I hope that he is at peace where ever he may be and that one day he will be found. Sending my thoughts out to the family I can't imagine having to endure all these years of not knowing.

Hi everyone,

I just have a question regarding this line from the article posted above from the Plumas News:
What instigated the resurgence of interest was that the mother of the woman of the visiting trio had lived in the area around the time the missing boy, Mark Wilson, disappeared.

“The woman’s mother was dying and she was sure that Mark was in the well,” said Larry. The daughter hoped to resolve the issue for her mother before she died.

Did anyone ever find out, or even ask, why this elderly lady on her death bed was suddenly so sure that Mark was in that well? This comment made me immediately suspicious. Surely LE wouldn't bring in 3 cadaver dogs and go to all this trouble just because an old lady "thinks he might be there", so it makes me wonder what else they know? Who is she and what possibly might she know? Did she have some family memeber she was protecting? And why did she wait so long to reveal this information?
Just curious, that sentence set off my "this is not the whole story" antenna!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back