Found Deceased CA - Mary Louise Day, 12, Seaside, 1980

Hi, I'm new to Websleuths. In the past, I've read some threads but just made an account so I could comment on this case. After watching the 48 Hours episode, some things still seem off to me:

I know it was a different time but I have a hard time believing that nobody called the police (or even has since come forward) saying that they saw a young girl alone with a head injury. It just seems odd to me that if someone saw her, they never mentioned it to anyone.

I'm also confused about the ages of the siblings. Earlier in the thread, fjallar answers a question and says that he isn't 100% sure but he believed that S. is older than Mary and K., but in the 48 Hours episode, they say S. was 10 and K. was 11 when Mary (13) went missing. I'm confused by this because he said he was still in touch with S. Is it possible 48 Hours got it wrong?

Fjallar also wrote that his parents said they filed a police report but the police don't have a record of it. I don't know much about it but isn't there a special police unit for the military? Or maybe that didn't exist back then? Assuming her mom and step-father did report her missing to the police, did they ever follow up? That would have at least alerted police to this missing child again if there actually was an error when it was first reported.

Also, 48 Hours says that Mary had never been enrolled in school in California. Why not?

I really want to believe that the Mary they found is the right one but something feels off to me. I hope the family at least finds comfort. Such a sad story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back