CA CA - Mitrice Richardson, 24, Malibu, 17 Sep 2009

“Her alleged attacker, Captain Martin, routinely drove an unmarked vehicle (as he explained in this interviewshortly after being promoted although he admitted to suppressing evidence), and followed the victim two nights in a row, as she left the group therapy session.”

Do we know of Captain Martins whereabouts when Mitrice was released?

Yes, he was at the station reportedly.

I see a lot of people speculating that she took her clothes off herself as a symptom of hypothermia, but this isn't adding up to me. I'm no expert, but growing up in frigid temperatures, we learn about how to combat hypothermia, what causes it, what is happening to your body in a hypothermic state, etc, from a very early age. For hypothermia to set in enough to affect Mitrice's cognitive abilities, the temperature would have had to be much colder. She wasn't outside for that long, so severe hypothermia doesn't seem likely here IMO. Her clothes being off is super suspicious, even without all the other sketchy details about this case. I think it's pretty clear the police are involved or just simply don't care. Either way, Mitrice deserves justice and I am not hopeful it will come from an institution that was not made to protect her.
This case is getting a little old so for the sake of info disappearing on the internet, here is a weather graph for the night she disappeared:

Weather in September 2009 in Los Angeles, California, USA

Screenshot_20220315-203506_Firefox.jpg

That is quite warm, and Sept. is VERY dry there. It is more likely that MR became dehydrated quickly and there is no water in the canyon by Sept.

I think we need to keep in mind her possible mental health issues. Both her girlfriend and family said she was acting weird, and was known to have MI problems. So "normal" behavior in certain types of weather may not actually apply here. That being said, I thought I saw on the UM episode that the cop walked out the door behind her to go "on duty." Not that he stayed in the station. I think its even on video.

Very odd! I wonder if there are any creeks, rivers, or woods that have not been searched in the area where town people have said someone was sleeping on porches?

This is a very densely populated area. There really aren't any woods, but this location is near the Los Angeles River. River; however, is a bit of a stretch. It is more of a concrete wash that tends to be relatively dry throughout the year. It occasionally fills up during the rainy months, but historical weather data shows no precipitation in the month surrounding the date she went missing.

Also, this is LA. There are lots of people sleeping on the streets, so seeing another person doing so wouldn't be an unusual sight.

This is a very densely populated area. There really aren't any woods, but this location is near the Los Angeles River. River; however, is a bit of a stretch. It is more of a concrete wash that tends to be relatively dry throughout the year. It occasionally fills up during the rainy months, but historical weather data shows no precipitation in the month surrounding the date she went missing.

Also, this is LA. There are lots of people sleeping on the streets, so seeing another person doing so wouldn't be an unusual sight.

Actually no, she was found in a pretty remote and wooded area that was not accessible by car. They go to the area in the documentary her family made.

Just saw the old Disappeared episode featuring the MR case. Extremely tragic. I haven't done any other research on this case yet & haven't read a lot of these posts, so what I'm posting is more or less just based on the episode:

- It does look like MR was suffering from some sort of mental health/cognitive issue(s) prior to her going to the restaurant in Malibu. The reports of her being up all night & the strange comments/online posts, etc. don't sound like someone that is doing well mentally. The story the valet at the restaurant told about MR going through the CD's in his car adds credence to this, especially given that - by all accounts (friends/family) - this was unusual behavior for her.

-Going along with this, when she was confronted with the bill at the restaurant she should have been able to pay for this, given that her mother stated she had at least $2,000 on her debit card/account. Since she should have known she had the $ to pay the bill & was known to be responsible, etc. - IMHO her trying to leave without paying is another indication that she was going through some issues.

-It's awful that she left the police station without her cell phone/credit cards/wallet. She definitely should have stayed in the station until someone could come to pick her up.

-I do believe the story about the home-owner in the area where she initially disappeared who saw a woman (who resembled MR) in his back-yard, and that when he went to look for her again, she was gone. So, I do think that she did wander off from the police station that night & was still alive the next morning.

-I'm not convinced that foul play was involved in her death. It's very plausible that she wandered into the foot-hills of the area, was lost/disoriented, and succumbed somehow. That being said, something else could also have happened here.

-Obviously the alleged sightings of her in Las Vegas (after she disappeared) by her father & friend were red herrings. The only reason I bring this up is that I think a lot of "sightings" in cases like this are false/red herrings.

Last edited:
love to see any news eyes and posts on Matrice's story. I think of her often, and those who love her and still don't know what happened. IMO pretty sure we never will... That investigation in 2019 seemingly went nowhere in re Matrice...

A missing person sign with photos of Mitrice

"The Mitrice Richardson case is terrifying. She was showing signs of a mental health episode, was released from jail after midnight without her wallet, phone, or any way to get home, and her remains were found by park rangers 2.5 miles from the sheriff's station almost a year later. A cause of death was never determined; her family suspects foul play, but the sheriff's department insists there's no evidence."
losfrangeles
Jay L. Clendenin / Los Angeles Times via Getty ImagesMore

What happened:​

Richardson was a 24-year-old recent Cal State Fullerton grad who went missing on Sept. 17, 2019. Richardson was last seen allegedly leaving a sheriff's station in Malibu. (Earlier, she had been detained by sheriff's deputies after a restaurant manager made a citizen's arrest complaint.) Eleven months went by before her body was inadvertently found by park rangers in August 2010 in Malibu Canyon

More than 13 years ago, Mitrice Richardson disappeared into the Malibu Hills never to be seen alive again.

The high-profile case has continued to gain media attention consistently throughout the years and will continue the trend with the new children’s book series “The Skool Kids” inspired by Dr Ronda Hampton’s journey as an advocate for justice in the Richardson case which has led to her relationship with other families whose loved ones have gone missing.

The first book “Amber Goes Missing” honors Amber Dubois who went missing on February 13th, 2009. Dr. Hampton, a clinical psychologist from Diamond Bar, was connected with Amber’s family shortly after Mitrice went missing on September 17th, 2009.

As Dr. Hampton became more involved with missing person’s cases, she connected with families whose loved ones Jeremy, Phylicia and Wesley have joined Amber and Mitrice to become a part of the series.

The full book release date is May 7, 2023.

The Skool Kids Series has been a very healing process for me. After the death of Mitrice Richardson I found myself in a very dark place with no outlet. As I began to work with other families of missing persons I had a nagging feeling that I needed to do more and this book series just began to flow as if the books were writing themselves. As each character developed I began to feel alive again and I felt that they had a message to send to the world as a result of their tragedy and that I could be the vessel that carried their message to the world. I was also so fortunate to find an illustrator, Sydney Boiselle, who saw my vision and made these characters come to life. Because the characters in this series are real people who lives have touched me, I needed an illustrator that would understand that Amber Dubois, Mitrice Richardson, Jeremy Lum, Phylicia Barnes and Wesley Tracy are more than just characters in a book and that their lives had and have meaning and I needed that to be conveyed through the art work. One of the reasons that I had to self-publish the book series is because I needed the books to be handled in a very personal way and I found that in an illustrator that made the words that I was guided to write come to life. I think when tragedies occur we have to find a way to make peace with it and I am in awe of people like Carrie McGonigle, Ambers Dubois mom, and her organization Team Amber Rescue which is a dog search team that she started after Amber’s remains were found; or Russell Barnes whom I was acquainted with when his daughter Phylicia Barnes went missing and has now established The Phylicia Barnes Foundation which raising awareness about missing children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back