CA - Parents Of Toddler Declared Brain-Dead Convinced He’s Still Alive

More here on the funding, first post.

[video=youtube;VHrMZkTzS1g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHrMZkTzS1g[/video]

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article100885077.html

More than five months after Israel’s medical saga began, Fonseca said she and Israel’s father are trying to get their lives back together. The couple both took disability or medical leaves from work. Fonseca said she plans to start classes to become a nurse or perhaps return to her job as a pharmacy technician.

On Monday, Fonseca said, she hopes her son’s service will be “a going home” celebration.

Thanks, SophieRose, for this update. As many speculated, the plan was to get him admitted directly to PICU from the Guatemalan hospital, via the airevac flight. PICU chief at CHLA didn't know the history of the case-- and I strongly bet that will never happen again at CHLA.

It's all over now except the lawsuits-- and I'm guessing there will be at least 3 of those, and they'll trudge thru the courts for 3-4 years. However, this case is so well documented, that I doubt the family will have any legitimate "actionable" damages. I don't think they will get any money from the lawsuits.

It's incredibly sad, but I don't think any of the 4 American hospitals, or their staff, did anything medically wrong in this case. This very sick child had truly extraordinary care, sustained at a high technological level, and for a longer time, that many other children in similar situations don't have access to. That doesn't make it any less sad, but little Israel was given every opportunity to improve, and was just too sick. Sometimes,sadly, people are just more broken than we can fix. Everyone wanted this little one to get better and go home.

I had gotten so fed up with these parents, I stopped following when they took him out of the country.

Checking in today to see what was going on, and I am so relieved to see that little Israel has gotten his wings. At last, he is free to run and play, be the happy toddler he was meant to be. RIP little one.

Posting video and article about accident victim who was supposedly declared brain dead and lived.
The video mentions coma and brain dead.
The article mentions coma, brain dead, half brain undamaged?
I imagine hearing stories like this is why people get confused.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video...ere-about-to-turn-off-life-support/vi-BBwQuLB

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oments-doctors-turn-life-support-machine.html

I agree. It also doesn't sound like they were doing the same protocol to determine brain death as what they do here in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parents of Israel Stinson have been challenging the courts related to the Uniform Determination of Death Act (UDDA), and the process of diagnosing IS as brain dead.

Over the past several months, the federal court dismissed the complaint several times permitting the plaintiffs to amend to correct defects. Late last month, the federal court dismissed the Third Amended Complaint with prejudice, holding plaintiffs failed to show they have standing to pursue their claims. Furthermore, the court held that plaintiffs articulated no arguments and subsequent events that would make an amendment not futile.

http://medicalfutility.blogspot.com/2017/10/israel-stinson-court-dismisses.html

Third Amended Complaint, and other imaged court documents:

http://thaddeuspope.com/images/Fonseca_v_Smith_ED_Cal_09-25-17_.pdf

A jury will now be tasked with deciding whether Jahi is in fact still alive. That trial date has not yet been set, but an initial hearing with the judge, family and hospital is scheduled to take place on March 18.

The family are seeking the unprecedented verdict from a jury so they can move Jahi back to California where doctors would be compelled to care for her. Jahi remains connected to a ventilator and has been receiving 24-hour medical care in New Jersey for several years now. She was moved there in 2014, with the help of crowdfunding, because it is the only state where families can reject a brain death ruling if it goes against their religion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-fighting-brain-dead-teen.html#ixzz56EzU7TAj

A jury will now be tasked with deciding whether Jahi is in fact still alive. That trial date has not yet been set, but an initial hearing with the judge, family and hospital is scheduled to take place on March 18.

The family are seeking the unprecedented verdict from a jury so they can move Jahi back to California where doctors would be compelled to care for her. Jahi remains connected to a ventilator and has been receiving 24-hour medical care in New Jersey for several years now. She was moved there in 2014, with the help of crowdfunding, because it is the only state where families can reject a brain death ruling if it goes against their religion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-fighting-brain-dead-teen.html#ixzz56EzU7TAj

From the Daily Mail article:

'I know that things change - people change. If Jahi has given up and doesn't want to be here anymore, I'm just going to go with what she wants,' Winkfield said.

Oh, honey. I think she wanted to be allowed to pass on from this world in 2013...I think you missed the message.

How is that going to work? Are they going to allow some other MDs to actually examine her, other than the guy who is quoted in the article who apparently doesn't believe that brain death is death?
By the way her face looks so swollen in the photos.

How is that going to work? Are they going to allow some other MDs to actually examine her, other than the guy who is quoted in the article who apparently doesn't believe that brain death is death?

And the comparison to pictures of her alive just break my heart.

Just FYI-- this thread is actually about Israel Stinson-- a toddler who was declared brain dead following a severe asthma attack. I think a poster above inadvertently posted about Jahi McMath updates in this thread. Tricia has said she would start a new discussion thread about Jahi's case as it gets closer to trial time.

Perhaps mods/ Tricia would allow a new discussion thread for the recent developments in the Jahi McMath case?

It would be a lot more convincing to me if it was a doctor who does 'believe in' brain death who said that she isn't brain dead after all.

I do feel for the parents in these situations though. I read through all the comments in this thread, and I do think a lot of people are lacking in understanding brain death. I think they're confused by hearing about people dying on operating tables and coming back to life and things like that, so they view the person as being in some kind of coma and they genuinely think that a miracle isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

I saw there were two videos with the DM article, one of Jahi moving her foot on command...but I couldn't hear any sound on the video? The movement looked automatic to me (not a medical expert). Sometimes the body will 'jerk' for no reason, and even a brain dead person on a ventilator will have electrical impulses in their body a la the frogs legs experiment. In the one with the ice cube one foot looked like an automatic movement to me, the other actually did appear to move away from the cold, but could that have been an illusion due to the position of the leg?

I think Jahi's mother loves her very much and my heart goes out to her. If I was on the jury it would take a dozen doctors who do believe in brain death to show me the evidence they interpret to mean that she isn't brain dead.

I'm also a bit curious what a brain scan would show at this point? I suppose whatever it showed a parent would just say it meant brain damage and not brain death?

What is the point of keeping someone attached to machines, for years and years, at presumably an enormous expense, if all that someone can do is move their foot, on command or not. Where is the quality of life? And yet such a situation requires lots of care to keep the heart beating. Ventilator or not, the heart is eventually going to fail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back