Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The KMIR story is very sad. I will wait until the final LEO report comes out. I can't even imagine if this was my child or family member. I think we often want to think that death is painless. Such a tragedy no matter what the circumstances of him shooting her and then himself.

This is the first we heard of a stalker, though.

They say their son loved life and had plans to become a park ranger They say Joseph's sister told them he was planning to do something special for their parents when he returned before moving out. Now, his sister says she will carry out the surprise in his honor.

Respectfully snipped by me.

This stuck out to me because I figure someone who wanted to be a park ranger would have more awareness and knowledge of what was necessary to survive, about when and when not to hike, etc. But maybe this was just part of his underdeveloped brain of a 21 year old male. And perhaps him wanting to be a park ranger was some wishful thinking idea.

Wow that KMIR article was a tough read but I’m glad someone released it that way, it was needed.

“They were side by side lying next to each other and their arms were around each other," says Gilbert, adding that he found comfort in the way they were found...”

Arms around “each other”, not just his around her.

Since nobody apparently heard gunshots, I wonder if the gun was equipped with a silencer/suppressor.

The KMIR story now posted 2x rubs me the wrong way. I understand the family's desire to protect their son's legacy, however, when such strong emotions are involved, those emotions can prevent clear and logical thought.

I am sure authorities will look into the "stalker" theory. FWIW close friend of Joseph's, Mr. Young, was quoted previously stating he did want Joseph to go down as a murderer.

I do not blame family members and friends of Joseph's for not being able to come to terms with this being a murder/suicide. Nobody wanted that outcome.

Wow that KMIR article was a tough read but I’m glad someone released it that way, it was needed.

“They were side by side lying next to each other and their arms were around each other," says Gilbert, adding that he found comfort in the way they were found...”

Arms around “each other”, not just his around her.

If she was dead, I am not sure how her arms were around him after being shot. Her arms had to be placed there. I am just trying to wrap my head around this.

Respectfully snipped by me.

This stuck out to me because I figure someone who wanted to be a park ranger would have more awareness and knowledge of what was necessary to survive, about when and when not to hike, etc. But maybe this was just part of his underdeveloped brain of a 21 year old male. And perhaps him wanting to be a park ranger was some wishful thinking idea.

You would think someone with that mindset would be rightfully prepared. However, Orbeso obviously did not think they would get lost. It was a loop trail and from a 10,000 foot scope, looked like a fairly easy hike. We don't know how much water they brought but I bet it was ample enough for 2 people on a day hike. Also, we know he brought bananas and jerky, both are excellent sources of food for hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silencers are illegal in California. Not saying that means he didn't have one but if he had a gun for his job and they demonstrated good gun safety practices in the passed (based on Rachel going to a shooting range and using proper form etc) then it makes it less likely that they'd have an illegal piece imo

New thread coming up.

Please get ready to move over in about 10 minutes. :)

If she was dead, I am not sure how her arms were around him after being shot. Her arms had to be placed there. I am just trying to wrap my head around this.

I have no idea. Seems like they weren’t shot in the head if they both had arms around each other... I’m thinking it’s obvious he didn’t die instantly so maybe he shot in an area that didn’t kill instantly and they had time to hold each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname