CA CA - Russell Goudy, 14, Huntington Beach, 17 July 1977

I am almost certain I was the last one to see Russell. It was such a long time ago I don't remember the exact day but it was late afternoon. Jeanne from her apartment in HB drove Tom (her younger brother), Danny, Russell, me to Main and Beach. We were all attempting to hitch hike back to Hacienda Heights before dark. First a car stopped and Tom and Danny jumped in first, which left Russell and me still at the curb. Russell thought it would be better if we split up, so he moved north and within five minutes I hitched a ride and that was the last time I saw Russell.

I believe Tom and Danny were questioned, afterwords Tom told me what had happened. I can assure everyone that Randy Kraft was russells killer. MC DUMP AND HB SHORT #43 is Kraft’s notation for Russell and the other victim.

I had two other encounters with Kraft and his accomplice on separate occasions. Once that year and about two years later in San Clemente, I now feel very lucky to have lived through it. I looked up his accomplice about five years ago and he at the time was married to the owner of a bar in Long Beach. For what it's worth, I hope this helps.

P.S. As I recall, Russell did not have a boogie board with him.

I am almost certain I was the last one to see Russell. It was such a long time ago I don't remember the exact day but it was late afternoon. Jeanne from her apartment in HB drove Tom (her younger brother), Danny, Russell, me to Main and Beach. We were all attempting to hitch hike back to Hacienda Heights before dark. First a car stopped and Tom and Danny jumped in first, which left Russell and me still at the curb. Russell thought it would be better if we split up, so he moved north and within five minutes I hitched a ride and that was the last time I saw Russell.

I believe Tom and Danny were questioned, afterword Tom told me what had happened. I can assure everyone that Randy Kraft was Russell's killer. MC DUMP AND HB SHORT #43 is Kraft’s notation for Russell and the other victim.

I had two other encounters with Kraft and his accomplice on separate occasions. Once that year and about two years later in San Clemente, I now feel very lucky to have lived through it. I looked up his accomplice about five years ago and he at the time was married to the owner of a bar in Long Beach. For what it's worth, I hope this helps.

P.S. As I recall, Russell did not have a boogie board with him.
Do you recall any details of those experiences, especially with this supposed accomplice of Randy's?

It says he was hitchhiking and that his body was found with another young man, so they could be the No. 31 "2 in 1 hitch" pair on Kraft's scorecard. Any thoughts on this?
I know this comment is old, but Russells body wasnt found with another victim. Im assuming the 13 year old they are referring to is Thomas Lynn Lundgren, who was murdered by William Bonin. He was murdered a few years after Russell

I know this comment is old, but Russells body wasnt found with another victim. Im assuming the 13 year old they are referring to is Thomas Lynn Lundgren, who was murdered by William Bonin. He was murdered a few years after Russell
Bonin was cleared of killing Lundgren Actually. Hes Adamant he didnt do it

Russell Goudy Jr. was a 14 year old student at Los Altos high school in Hacienda Heights, California. He was seen by various friends hitch hiking to Huntington Beach on July 16, 1977. He was later seen trying to get a ride home, but never arrived. His parents reported him missing and three days later on July 19, his body was found in Glendora, Ca. along with another 13 yr old. He was nude and had cigarette burns to his body.

The only thing I have been able to find was
  1. ABOLISH Archives, 1 March, 2004 to Present: NEWS:-TEXAS, C
    ... the killings of 14-year-old Russell Goudy Jr. of Hacienda Heights and 13-year ...
    venus.soci.niu.edu/~archives/ABOLISH/oct04/2341.html - 29k
The site is no longer accessible. I contacted Glendora police but they said they didn't handle the case. I contacted LA police but never heard back from them. Any suggestions?
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept. may have been a part of the investigation. The City of Glendora borders San Gabriel Canyon as does the City of Azusa to the west. The area is a checkerboard of agencies including federal lands and California State Conservancy. This leads me to believe that the killer knew with so many agencies handling a murder investigation there would likely be overlap and miscommunication. Highway 39 AKA Beach Blvd. where Russell went missing and last seen in Huntington Beach runs from the mouth of the canyon in the north and ends south at Huntington Beach. Hwy 39 goes through many So. Calif. cities including unincorporated Hacienda Heights 42 miles north of Huntington Beach. Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park is along the route south of Hacienda Heights. As you approach Hacienda Heights, Hwy 39 goes through hills with lots of desolate roads. In those days, not too many houses. It was common practice for kids in those days to hitch a ride to the beach. The killer knew that he would have ample opportunity to find a young victim along this popular route. With his long blond hair and Southern California surfer boy looks, Russell would have caught the attention of a pedophile. My younger sister went to school with Russell and kept a short clipping from the Highlander newspaper about his disapperance and murder. There was no new information there. We sure hope we will know what happened to our friend and classmate. He was a really sweet kid enjoying his summer.

First of all, I'm so happy I found this site and to see recent posts as I keep coming up short handed when searching his tragic end. This is a case that has bothered me for practically my entire life. I went to school with Russell from '75 to '77 but knew him long before school started from our neighbor. We lived within the same mile and I saw him all the time. We weren't close so to speak but as we were both the "short kids" in school we often ended up together. He was a sweet a kid, he a smart *advertiser censored* (in the best way) but he never lacked that good energy. All my adolescent memories aside, here's why I'm posting here and looking to get my information to where it needs to be as it always seemed an injustice no one ever listened to what I had to say about his last sighting:

So far, the reports I've read say that he was last seen July 17th around 5pm near Huntington beach and main st. I believe - However the last time I visually saw Russell was indeed on the 17th of July but much later than previously reported. Here is exactly what I remember after all this time (hoping and praying this helps is SOME way as its weighed heavy on my mind) July 17th 1977, a few days after my birthday, My 2 sisters and I left the house around noon headed to Huntington Beach for the day, we had snuck out of the house because my sister was pregnant at that time and wasn't allowed out to avoid embarrassment of my mother/family since she was a young mother and our mom was strict. We spent the whole day there but I never visually saw Russy at the beach that day. My sisters and I lost track of time and realized it was much later than we thought, our mother was going to get home from work and notice that the 3 of us were gone, so we hustled on home as fast as we could. We were driving home in my sisters old beat-up car, I was in the backseat it was around (ATLEAST) 7:45pm to 8:45pm I KNOW it was late because it was getting very dark. Unsure of the exact time but it was summer in L.A. so I believe it to be between those times if not later.

We were making a right hand turn on the corner of Beach & Valley (I'm pretty sure those are the streets I just haven't been to L.A. in a long time since I moved right after this happened) I know there is a popular carwash on that corner and an ice skating rink I used to take lessons at which I'm pretty sure that's all long gone by now. Anyways, As my sister made the right hand turn heading home, I saw Russell. Clear as day... He was hitchhiking with his right thumb up and his boogie board up leaned against his left leg to his knee. Now I've discovered that he had his skateboard with him that I originally thought was his boogieboard at the time. He was wearing one of those white and blue striped shirts that had a pocket on it with the 2 footprints that were trendy at the time , but I don't think he was wearing the cords like they said in the paper. I distinctly recall he was wearing his pukka shell necklace that he always wore as well. Anyways, I said to my sisters as we turned the corned "there's my friend Russell ! lets stop and give him a ride" but at that point we were already around that corner and too far, not to mention incredibly late and most definitely is BIG trouble with our mom. It was a race against time for us but little did I know that one choice to not go back would end up bothering me my whole life. I wish so badly I would've stopped and given him that ride. Last I saw of him were headlights illuminating his outline and seeing him put his thumb down. I remember thinking "Oh, someone must've stopped for him" .

additionally; I have no idea if anyone else told the police or the news this but Russell BRAGGED about someone approaching him and another boy, a man saying he was going to pay him big this summer for "surfing pictures" for a surfing magazine. He told me the guy was rich and was going to pay him major money of pictures of him surfing, I remember kind of laughed it off since Russell was a short kid and not exactly the magazine surfer type, he responded by saying "You'll see! I'm gonna make alotta money this summer, you're gonna see, you're gonna see! its gonna be big!" - He was excited about it. He said the male photographer approached him at "the beach" which I assume is the beach we all went to, Huntington beach.

No one ever questioned me at the time and the whole situation seemed to get swept under the rug so fast, no one wanted to talk or hear about it. I've tried countless times to tell the police, investigators and who ever else will listen what I saw and heard with very little luck. To make it worse is I moved away right after all this happened. But I am 100% certain of the date and I've narrowed down the time. I know it was the 17th of July because it was right after my birthday, my sister was pregnant and close to giving birth to her first child and I also noted it our year book. I tried again recently to talk to Glendora police but the guy on the other end just gave me lip service and never called me back.

I just need to get this off my chest so someone, somewhere will know when he was really last seen and where. Its small things like that that help with the time frame and helps to exclude others that they are trying to pin it on. I have so many fond memories of Russell, he really was a good kid and a good friend. I've made sure to keep his name present in my family all these years since. I don't want him to be forgotten.

If anyone can help me get this info to where it needs to be let me know I need all the help I can get. Thank you!
First of all, I'm so happy I found this site and to see recent posts as I keep coming up short handed when searching his tragic end. This is a case that has bothered me for practically my entire life. I went to school with Russell from '75 to '77 but knew him long before school started from our neighbor. We lived within the same mile and I saw him all the time. We weren't close so to speak but as we were both the "short kids" in school we often ended up together. He was a sweet a kid, he a smart *advertiser censored* (in the best way) but he never lacked that good energy. All my adolescent memories aside, here's why I'm posting here and looking to get my information to where it needs to be as it always seemed an injustice no one ever listened to what I had to say about his last sighting:

So far, the reports I've read say that he was last seen July 17th around 5pm near Huntington beach and main st. I believe - However the last time I visually saw Russell was indeed on the 17th of July but much later than previously reported. Here is exactly what I remember after all this time (hoping and praying this helps is SOME way as its weighed heavy on my mind) July 17th 1977, a few days after my birthday, My 2 sisters and I left the house around noon headed to Huntington Beach for the day, we had snuck out of the house because my sister was pregnant at that time and wasn't allowed out to avoid embarrassment of my mother/family since she was a young mother and our mom was strict. We spent the whole day there but I never visually saw Russy at the beach that day. My sisters and I lost track of time and realized it was much later than we thought, our mother was going to get home from work and notice that the 3 of us were gone, so we hustled on home as fast as we could. We were driving home in my sisters old beat-up car, I was in the backseat it was around (ATLEAST) 7:45pm to 8:45pm I KNOW it was late because it was getting very dark. Unsure of the exact time but it was summer in L.A. so I believe it to be between those times if not later.

We were making a right hand turn on the corner of Beach & Valley (I'm pretty sure those are the streets I just haven't been to L.A. in a long time since I moved right after this happened) I know there is a popular carwash on that corner and an ice skating rink I used to take lessons at which I'm pretty sure that's all long gone by now. Anyways, As my sister made the right hand turn heading home, I saw Russell. Clear as day... He was hitchhiking with his right thumb up and his boogie board up leaned against his left leg to his knee. Now I've discovered that he had his skateboard with him that I originally thought was his boogieboard at the time. He was wearing one of those white and blue striped shirts that had a pocket on it with the 2 footprints that were trendy at the time , but I don't think he was wearing the cords like they said in the paper. I distinctly recall he was wearing his pukka shell necklace that he always wore as well. Anyways, I said to my sisters as we turned the corned "there's my friend Russell ! lets stop and give him a ride" but at that point we were already around that corner and too far, not to mention incredibly late and most definitely is BIG trouble with our mom. It was a race against time for us but little did I know that one choice to not go back would end up bothering me my whole life. I wish so badly I would've stopped and given him that ride. Last I saw of him were headlights illuminating his outline and seeing him put his thumb down. I remember thinking "Oh, someone must've stopped for him" .

additionally; I have no idea if anyone else told the police or the news this but Russell BRAGGED about someone approaching him and another boy, a man saying he was going to pay him big this summer for "surfing pictures" for a surfing magazine. He told me the guy was rich and was going to pay him major money of pictures of him surfing, I remember kind of laughed it off since Russell was a short kid and not exactly the magazine surfer type, he responded by saying "You'll see! I'm gonna make alotta money this summer, you're gonna see, you're gonna see! its gonna be big!" - He was excited about it. He said the male photographer approached him at "the beach" which I assume is the beach we all went to, Huntington beach.

No one ever questioned me at the time and the whole situation seemed to get swept under the rug so fast, no one wanted to talk or hear about it. I've tried countless times to tell the police, investigators and who ever else will listen what I saw and heard with very little luck. To make it worse is I moved away right after all this happened. But I am 100% certain of the date and I've narrowed down the time. I know it was the 17th of July because it was right after my birthday, my sister was pregnant and close to giving birth to her first child and I also noted it our year book. I tried again recently to talk to Glendora police but the guy on the other end just gave me lip service and never called me back.

I just need to get this off my chest so someone, somewhere will know when he was really last seen and where. Its small things like that that help with the time frame and helps to exclude others that they are trying to pin it on. I have so many fond memories of Russell, he really was a good kid and a good friend. I've made sure to keep his name present in my family all these years since. I don't want him to be forgotten.

If anyone can help me get this info to where it needs to be let me know I need all the help I can get. Thank you!
The Polar Palace Ice Skating Rink was on the right as you turned off of Beach Blvd. (Hwy. 39) onto Whittier Blvd heading east. The next left about 100 yards away was Hwy 39 continuing through hills that emptied out into north Hacienda Heights. The killer would have ample opportunity in the undeveloped La Habra Heights area to kill someone undetected. Russell was on the slight side so it would be easy to place his body in the trunk, drive to San Gabriel Canyon and get rid of the body. I'm very sorry Projeme that this happened to your friend. It was devastating for Los Altos and all of our community. Thankful for this website where everyone can add another piece to the puzzle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back