CA CA - Todd Collett, 3, Santa Barbara, 23 Jan 1964

FACTS ON RAMONA PRICE CASE

On the morning of September 2, 1961 Ramona Irene Price, age 7, told her father she was going to walk to their new home. That day, the Prices’ were moving from a home in Santa Barbara to one located in Goleta, approximately 5 miles away. Her father jokingly said “go to it.” He never saw her again.

At the time of her disappearance, Ramona Price was 4 ft. tall, 45 lbs. and had a dark pixie style haircut. She was last seen wearing a brown and white pull over sweater, brown pants with fine pin stripes and flip flops.
Ramona walked from Oak Ave. down Modoc Rd. and towards the entrance of the La Cumbre Country Club; police believe it was there that she disappeared.

Extensive searches proved fruitless. Bloodhounds hit on several sites, although nothing significant ever emerged. One dog did show interest near an old house on a hill in the area and foot steps of a small child and adult were present. The handler said the scent could have been Ramona’s, but still for some reason, they deemed this information inconclusive because the dogs were not being consistent. The dogs did indicate that her tracks went upward through the Hope Ranch area, but went back towards the Country Club ultimately ending in the vicinity.

Along her route she was spotted by several people. One woman said that she saw Ramona dragging a stick behind her and many people said (foot steps in dirt confirmed this) that she stopped often to remove her sandals, as they had pinched her feet. Searchers combed the entire area all the way to the beaches. No trace of her was ever found.

Several witnesses came forward with similar descriptions of a car. Some people claimed they saw a blue/grey Cadillac or Plymouth. A few people said they saw a man, 60’s, thin face wearing a felt hat, obviously interested in Ramona.

Modoc Rd. was a well known road, but was typically only traveled by the locals. Within a few days, two men were arrested for failing to register as sex offenders. Their names were Ray and William Panno. These brothers did admit they had been in their car across from the Country Club drinking. Their car fit the description given by witnesses.

William Panno had spent time in Mendocino State Hospital for molesting a girl in Isla Vista. When the brothers were arrested for parole violations, their car was confiscated and processed for fingerprint, fiber, and blood evidence. All tests came up negative.

The Panno brothers were both given polygraph exams and were interviewed under the influence of sodium pentothal. Police were slow to reveal that the tests were deemed inconclusive and later, according to the Santa Barbara News Press, the polygraph exams and interviews indicated they had no knowledge of Ramona’s whereabouts.

Police apparently excluded a blue Plymouth found abandon in the Santa Barbara Mountains saying it had nothing to do with this case. I know nothing further on this incident or what made law enforcement come to this conclusion.

A few weeks after Ramona’s disappearance Ventura Authorities reported a blue and white Plymouth 1953-1954 watching children playing near Meirner’s Oaks but the man left the scene before law enforcement could investigate. There were reports of similar incidents in Santa Barbara in the weeks following Ramona’s disappearance.

A Santa Barbara Police Investigator speculated that Ramona may have been abducted by someone working on a nearby road construction site.

Someone out there knows something.

Facts on Todd Collett Case

On January 23, 1964 Todd Eugene Collett vanished without a trace. He was last seen wearing a white shirt and light beige corduroy pants. Todd had a big scar that went from this upper chest to his stomach due to a surgery following an accident. A car had apparently run over him in a driveway. The vehicle also ran over his head, and I believe he had a lazy eye and had a tendency to fall asleep randomly after the accident.

On this day Todd, his twin brother Travis and a friend Greg, (all about 4yrs old) were playing at the corner of Hollister Road and Turnpike Rd in Santa Barbara. There were shopping centers being constructed and the boys knew they weren’t to cross the street and enter the construction site. However, Todd, being the curious one of the bunch, headed toward the dirt embankments. Greg followed and Travis stayed back.

About twenty minutes had gone by when Greg’s mother saw her son across the street. She angrily crossed the street to get her son and brought him back home. When she returned home, she asked where Todd was. Greg was saying something about a bulldozer and a fire. Greg indicated that Todd might have gone over the Turnpike overpass.

Dogs picked up Todd’s scent in the neighborhood around the railroad tracks and did indicate that Todd had traveled over the Turnpike overpass.

Someone must come forth and let the family know what happened to their child.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_7174165?source=most_viewed

Posted: 10/14/2007 12:23:06 AM PDT

Snipped from article:

...Fifty years after Tommy Bowman vanished from an Upper Arroyo Seco trail, Pasadena police have relabeled the case a homicide. Cold-case detectives believe Tommy was the victim of Mack Ray Edwards, as suggested earlier this year by local author Weston DeWalt and a team of investigators from other law-enforcement agencies...

Read more: http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_7174165?source=most_viewed#ixzz0rwPkBPYw

and:

...Nearby, Santa Barbara police Lt. Mark Vierra said they've ruled out Edwards as a suspect after DeWalt brought him to their attention in the case of Ramona Irene Price, 7, who disappeared while walking unsupervised on Sept. 2, 1961.

Edwards made regular visits to the area after a longtime friend moved to Goleta in late 1959 to work as a maintenance man near two major construction projects — a housing tract and a highway.

"Certainly, Edwards is someone we should have worked at and we had to listen to what Mr. DeWalt had to say about him," Vierra said. "Our stance was that he would not be a person of primary interest to us. We think that the two people we looked at ... are probably our primary suspects."

Two convicted sex offenders, Raymond and William Panno, admitted under a voluntary, sodium-pentathol-fueled interview that they saw the 7-year-old from their vehicle and paused to urge her away from the side of the road that day.

Read more: http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_7174165?source=most_viewed#ixzz0rwQVclpr

A lot more at the link.

http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California/CA_Girls_Remains_578240C.shtml

Cops search for girl who disappeared 50 years ago
By THOMAS WATKINS

Authorities discovered information four years ago suggesting Ramona's body was buried beneath a highway overpass that was constructed at the time of her disappearance. Edwards worked as a heavy equipment operator on the project.

LE suspect she was a victim of Mack Ray Edwards.

Kat,
The link didn't work.
I heard about this case on HLN this morning. They showed search dogs being used in the area. I wish they had given more info on how the LE decided to check this area.
Is this Mack Ray Edwards alive and talking?
It seems very unusual that the disappearances of both Romona and Todd happened within a two years relative period and so near to each other and neither of them have been solved.

Information on Mack Ray Edwards:

[urle="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_Ray_Edwards"]Mack Ray Edwards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

who died in 1971

Boomgirl72 you are quiet so I am going to assume that you are at the dig. Thanks

Hey everyone!

So me and fellow Websluether @DaiseyChains recieved a very interesting tip on the Todd Collett Case the other day and its raised some red flags for me and DaiseyChains.

Me and DaiseyChains run a Facebook page dedicated to the Ashland Baby Doe (See OR - Ashland, WhtMale 1144UMOR, 1-2, in reservoir, Down Syndrome, Jul'63 for more info on the case). On Saturday morning, a man by the name of Dan Robinson messaged the page, claiming that he may have information on the Baby Doe case, followed by a message saying that he believed that he is Todd Collett, the missing child who disappeared in San Bernandino.

He reported to us that he was taken as a child and recalled a story his "Parents" would tell about him replacing a dead baby that they had prior to him. They traveled in Oregon and California quite frequently. He claims his 'father' Dan Robinson, Jr. died in the 1970's and is buried in Topeka, KS. I am currently looking into this claim.

He also showed a photo of his 'siblings' one of which who shares a resemblance to the Ashland Baby Doe (this photo was taken in the late 60's). We also asked Dan if he shared any of the physical traits of Todd; in which he did say he had a faded scar on his chest, but failed to discuss anything about any head injuries or physical problems in relation to that.

I then found out he lived in the city of St. Helens, Oregon; located close to Longview, Washington on Highway 30. When I found this out, I extended an offer to meet with him and get to know him. He asked if we were law enforcement, which he knew we werent from earlier in the conversation. I told him no and he replied that he wished to only speak with law enforcement and ended our conversation.

I plan to speak with the San Bernandino and Ashland, Oregon LE about this and will be submitting the conversation I had with him.

I apologize if this sounds very scrambled because the conversation was all over the place. One interesting thing he brought up was that his DNA was on file at UNT and the San Bernandino LE did not want to test his DNA to that of Todd Collett's. I will post the conversation up in a separate response. Hopefully it will help in making this story clear.

It has to be one of the most confusing tips I have ever received and I think it may be best to leave it to the professionals. But in the meantime I will keep everyone updated.

Cross-linking to this thread.

A blue-eyed 58-59 year old OK man named "Mike Howard" recently came forward and believes that he may have been abducted as a child from CA. Todd Collett would have been 58 this year and is one of only a few CA children to fit the timeline.

So heartbreaking. To think Todd survived being run over by a car only to then disappear. Or the thought of an innocent 7- year-old thinking she could walk from one house to another. She just wanted to have an adventure.

IMO LE should conduct DNA tests for the two men mentioned above who think they may be Todd. Crowd-fund it if necessary. Lay those questions to rest.

Suspicious: Mack Ray Edwards
"A Santa Barbara County sheriff's detective said they were working with DeWalt regarding the 1964 disappearance in Goleta of Todd Eugene Collett, 3, but referred inquiries to a spokesman who did not respond to calls for comment"
"Edwards made regular visits to the area after a longtime friend moved to Goleta in late 1959 to work as a maintenance man near two major construction projects — a housing tract and a highway"

Reactions: byo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back