Deceased/Not Found CA - Tom, 57, & Jackie Hawks, 47, Newport Beach, 14 Nov 2004 *Four guilty*

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. Prosecutors today dropped money laundering charges and added a charge of grand theft against a man who bought a yacht from a retired couple who are now missing.

The Orange County district attorney's office says its investigation of Skylar DeLeon (DAY'-lee- ohn) of Long Beach has led them away from the money laundering case but they decline to say whether he is a suspect in the disappearance of Tom and Jackie Hawks of Prescott, Arizona.--->>

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=2763583

I missed where LE was repressing photos of DeLeon being released to the public. Where's that info from?

Thanks, chicoliving.

Skylar DeLeon, a 25-year-old Long Beach resident, was facing three counts of possession of money earned through large-scale drug sales and three counts of money laundering in connection with the purchase of the Well Deserved, a 55-foot cabin cruiser moored in Newport Harbor. Retired couple Tom and Jackie Hawks were living on the boat until its sale Nov. 15 and have not been heard from since.

Newport Beach Police arrested DeLeon on Dec. 17, the day after they found the Hawkses' car in Ensenada, Mexico.

The new charge has to do with unpaid repairs on another boat in April, Senior Deputy Dist. Atty. Matt Murphy said.--->>

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/p...,1,752205.story?coll=la-tcn-pilot-news-police

It would seem that there are now no charges with any relationship to the missing Hawks.

There's a website for the Hawks, with updates:

http://www.tomandjackiehawks.com/index.htm

Seems there has been other arrests in this case. Nancy Grace covering the story now, on her show on HNN.

chicoliving said:
Seems there has been other arrests in this case. Nancy Grace covering the story now, on her show on HNN.

I saw that Chico!! I was hoping to find more info here!!

Here is the story....what a shame....

http://www.tomandjackiehawks.com/news.htm

snip...

Prosecutors filed murder charges Friday against Deleon, 25, of Long Beach, Alonso Machain, 21, of Pico Rivera and Myron Gardner, 41, of Long Beach. Police said additional arrests were expected.

Nine days after the test cruise, police said, Deleon traveled to the Hawkses' hometown of Prescott, Ariz., and attempted to access their bank account by using a document that gave him power of attorney. Police would not say how Deleon obtained the document.

On Nov. 26, Deleon drove the Hawkses' Honda CR-V to a home in Ensenada, Mexico, and left it there, said Newport Beach Police Sgt. Steve Shulman. While in Mexico, Deleon attempted to use the same power of attorney to access the Hawkses' Arizona bank account, Shulman

Edited to add....halfway down this article is a cronology. It is a very good read.

I was at a loss over NG's show of the 9th because while the grieving son said that he knew that his parents were dead after the car was found in Ensenada, he didn't explain hoiw he knew. Now, we read that the couple had a home there (where care was found) and bank accounts were attempted. I suppose that the POA indicated that it was signed under coersion, etc.
I have been following this case since day 1 and am really interested in knowing more.

I have been to Yadler! My first thought was that they signed the POA forcefully. I'm sure their bodies will never be found. I would like to hear more on this too. I'm going a searching....

No bodies found yet that I could find news about but 4 have been arrested for murders.

DNA test ordered in Newport Beach case of missing yacht sellers

Associated Press
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. - A judge on Friday issued an order for a DNA sample from one of four men arrested in connection with the alleged murders of a retired Arizona couple who disappeared after showing their yacht to prospective buyers.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 29, was ordered to immediately provide the sample to authorities by Orange County Superior Court Judge Craig Robison.--->>

He was arrested on March 10 for investigation of the murders of Tom and Jackie Hawks of Prescott, Ariz. He has not entered a plea but his attorney said he intends to plead not guilty.--->>

Prosecutors previously charged three men with murdering the couple in a scheme to steal the boat and other financial assets.

Myron S. Gardner, 41, Alonso Machain, 21, and Skylar J. Deleon, 25, were charged with two counts each of murder with special circumstances. The district attorney has not announced whether prosecutors will seek the death penalty.--->>

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/11174487.htm

The wife of a man charged with killing a couple who were selling their 55-foot yacht was arrested Friday by Newport Beach police on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

Jennifer Deleon, 23, is the fifth person arrested in the presumed murders of Tom and Jackie Hawks. The hairdresser was arrested when she arrived to visit her husband at Orange County Jail, police Lt. Steve Shulman said.

Her attorney, Michael Molfetta, said she was innocent.

Her husband, Skylar Deleon, 25, of Long Beach, was charged last month with murdering the Hawkses. Also charged with murder are Alonso Machain, 21, of Pico Rivera, and Myron Gardner, 41, and John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 39, both of Long Beach. All are being held without bail.

Because of the continuing investigation, authorities have declined to say what roles the suspects might have played.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...la-headlines-pe-california&ctrack=2&cset=true

The wife of a man charged with killing a couple who were selling their 55-foot yacht was arrested Friday by Newport Beach police on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

Jennifer Deleon, 23, is the fifth person arrested in the presumed murders of Tom and Jackie Hawks. The hairdresser was arrested when she arrived to visit her husband at Orange County Jail, police Lt. Steve Shulman said.

Her attorney, Michael Molfetta, said she was innocent.

Her husband, Skylar Deleon, 25, of Long Beach, was charged last month with murdering the Hawkses. Also charged with murder are Alonso Machain, 21, of Pico Rivera, and Myron Gardner, 41, and John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 39, both of Long Beach. All are being held without bail.

Because of the continuing investigation, authorities have declined to say what roles the suspects might have played.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...7272579.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/04/14/sections/local/crime_courts/article_480939.php

Boat owners were tossed overboard alive, police say
The Hawkses were cuffed, weighted and thrown into the sea, authorities suggest.

By LAYLAN CONNELLY
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

NEWPORT BEACH – Police disclosed Wednesday how they believe Thomas and Jackie Hawks were killed: The couple were overpowered, handcuffed, weighted down and thrown into the ocean alive.

Authorities have been reluctant to give details of how or where they believe the couple's presumed deaths occurred, citing an investigation into what they say was a murder-for-profit scheme.

The Hawkses' bodies have not been found.

"We're not prepared (to talk) about why this occurred, but it is our belief that it did occur," police spokesman Steve Shulman said.

snip.....................................................

Ryan Hawks, the couple's son, said he knew the details of their last moments for some time.

"I can't help but think about it," he said. "How my father fought for his life, fought for his wife. I just imagine it over and over in my head."

Ryan Hawks said his biggest fear is that Jackie Hawks had to watch Thomas be overpowered.

Five suspects are in custody and are scheduled to be arraigned at 8:30 a.m. Friday at the Harbor Justice Center.

snip............................................

The suspects, including DeLeon's wife, Jennifer, face the death penalty if convicted.

Has anyone heard anything about the status of this case and/or the defendants?

They were arrained in the Harbor Justice Center. I imagine the case will be heard in Newport, unless the defense gets a change of venue. I wonder if all the defendants will be tried together.

that the 5 defendants are all facing murder charges-they had photos and/or film of all five. The sheriff also stated that at least one of them will be facing additional charges related to trying to take out a contract on one of the witnesses in this case-he didn't say which one though. I think we will be hearing much more in the days and weeks to come about this case.

Bring Maura home!

sharon25 said:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-yacht23may23,1,97698.story?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=2&cset=true

Police say that somewhere between Newport Harbor and Santa Catalina, the Hawkses were handcuffed to the boat's anchor and thrown overboard alive. Tom was 57; Jackie, was 47. Their bodies have not been found.

* any updates on the trial?
this just makes me ill, the way they were thrown overboard like garbage. I hope the 5 involved get the ultimate punishment for their senseless crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back