CA - Two Fullerton PD officers accused of beating Kelly Thomas to death

kincaid;10129940]I don't agree that this was jury nullification. There's more to the trial than just the video. There was obviously abuse of force, but there's also Kelly Thomas refusing to comply with the police officer's instructions. I think many of the law and order types in OC have a problem with the idea that Kelly Thomas had a right to defend himself against abuse of force when the defense is saying if Thomas had cooperated, he wouldn't have died. The fact Thomas had a criminal record including assault with a deadly weapon and his parents had taken out restraining orders against him didn't help the prosecutors.

Completely irrelevent. You don't get to beat someone to death based on what they did in the past. The restraining orders had no relevence to this case.

I
don't believe this was premeditated. Certainly the police were jerks intentionally harassing Thomas, probably intending of rid of an annoying homeless person from the area. Police had 90+ encounters with Kelly Thomas, Fullerton police knew who he was, local businesses probably didn't want him hanging around. This all started with someone at a club calling police about someone breaking into cars, which might have been a lie just to get police out there

It was a lie the person who reported has admitted he lied but says he was instructed to do so by his employer. However, that too is irrelevent. Even if he had been breaking into cars I don't think the punishment for that is death.

IMO, all the officers should have faced jail time for abuse of force. Saying it was murder doomed the case. It was a complicated case, it took the judge an hour to read the jury instructions. If any of the jury is ever interviewed, I really expect them to say they wanted to convict but couldn't. They had to follow the law, not just watch the video and send the officers to jail

They murdered Kelly Thomas. The charge was appropriate. I live here in Orange County. I know the mindset of many of these wingnuts. Cops, good. Homeless, Bad. White good, minorities Bad. Rich good, working class or worse, poor really bad.

It is not a compassionate county. Sure there are exceptions and I will say that I have seen even some of my most conservative friends and associates disgusted with the verdict. But there is always that element. "He did not do exactly what the cops asked him to do". Well, guess what, this is not supposed to be a Police State. If you don't do what the police tell you they may have the right to subdue you. But, unless they are in fear for their lives, or protecting the lives of others, they do not have the right to KILL THE SUSPECT. Perod.

WTF is so hard for the police apologists to get about that? This was murder and the bigoted jury rubber stamped it. As far as I am concerned they are almost as bad as the cops. Not quite, but pretty damn bad.

"In 2011, the FBI opened an investigation to determine if Mr. Thomas' civil rights were violated during the altercation with Fullerton police officers," FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said in a prepared statement. "With the conclusion of the state court trial, investigators will examine the evidence and testimony to determine if further investigation is warranted at the federal level." :please:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/14/justice/california-homeless-beating-fbi/?iref=obinsite

Civil rights attorney Leo Terrell attended the entire trial, and predicted an acquittal, claiming the prosecution botched their case. He thinks Rackauckas was completely outmaneuvered by defense attorneys Barnett and Schwartz. Interesting discussion linked below...

Audio clip is half-way down the page:
http://www.clearthecourt.com/2014/01/14/what-kind-of-brain-damage-with-that-jury/

thanks for posting this link. I may listen in a few days, when I am ready to get fired up again. Right now, just dejected and have to stop looking at this case. :seeya:

Have heart ohiogirl. After reading this article you will have renewed hope.
I didn't know that Kelly's Dad is ex LE and he will continue to pursue justice for his son. He may be able to skirt the issues us civilians would have in getting the FBI involved. Annnnddd the last paragraph will make your heart sing, it did mine. Hang in there with me ohiogirl.

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-revisit-fatal-beating-california-transient-police-cleared-014721764.html

Uggggghhhh, I can't get the link to work. Any tips on how to do it would be appreciated so much. Thank you.

thanks for posting this link. I may listen in a few days, when I am ready to get fired up again. Right now, just dejected and have to stop looking at this case. :seeya:
BBM.. I can relate to that, ohiogirl!

Have heart ohiogirl. After reading this article you will have renewed hope.
I didn't know that Kelly's Dad is ex LE and he will continue to pursue justice for his son. He may be able to skirt the issues us civilians would have in getting the FBI involved. Annnnddd the last paragraph will make your heart sing, it did mine. Hang in there with me ohiogirl.

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-revisit-fatal-beating-california-transient-police-cleared-014721764.html

Uggggghhhh, I can't get the link to work. Any tips on how to do it would be appreciated so much. Thank you.

Hmmm, the link works for me! Thanks. Positive news.

$4.9 million settlement reached in Kelly Thomas wrongful-death case
Nov. 23, 2015 Updated Nov. 24, 2015 8:35 a.m.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/thomas-693437-fullerton-city.html
The city of Fullerton agreed Monday to a $4.9 million settlement for the father of Kelly Thomas, a homeless, mentally ill man who died four years ago after a violent encounter with Fullerton police. Attorneys struck the deal early Monday, hours before a civil trial was set to begin in the wrongful death claim – a trial that would have included video recordings in which the 37-year-old Thomas screams for his father to help him.
The settlement, to be paid by Fullerton’s insurance company, also marks a possible ending to a legal saga that so far has cost Fullerton taxpayers at least $2 million. Federal officials say a criminal civil rights investigation remains open. The five-year window on that case closes in July.
The eleventh-hour deal announced Monday also renewed questions of guilt in a story that drew national attention to the Fullerton police and prompted scrutiny of police use of force during encounters with mentally ill people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back