CA CA - Vanessa Dawn Smith, 15, Winton, 31 May 1997

CherylAoife

Reaction score
MCSO-Vanessa-Dawn-Smith.jpg

Source & photos: Merced County Sheriff's Office
https://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/index.php/news/local-news/46519-merced-county-sheriff-asks-for-public-s-help-with-the-1997-cold-case-of-missing-15-year-old-winton-girl-vanessa-dawn-smith

June 1, 2023 – Merced County Sheriff's Office officials report that on May 31, 1997, at 7:00 p.m., Vanessa Dawn Smith left her home in
Winton for a walk and never returned. The search for Vanessa remains ongoing, and her family, friends, and the authorities are desperate for any information that could help solve this long-standing investigation.

Vanessa was 15 years old when she disappeared, and any information related to her case could be of utmost importance.

If you have any information, please contact our Investigations Bureau at (209) 385-7472. Let us join the community to support the investigation and bring closure to Vanessa's Mother and loved ones.

Hello, I am from Merced and have been doing alot of research into Vanessa's disappearance. Would you have any information to provide to add? I am trying to get a group together to compare notes to see if we can't bring Vanessa home! My name is Sara White :)

Hello, I am from Merced and have been doing alot of research into Vanessa's disappearance. Would you have any information to provide to add? I am trying to get a group together to compare notes to see if we can't bring Vanessa home! My name is Sara White :)
Hi Sara, I don't have any more info - looks like I just shared a press release that had been posted to our local online newsfeed. I don't have any more information that what is in that post.

That said, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Cheryl Johnson
Mariposa, CA

Hi Sara, I don't have any more info - looks like I just shared a press release that had been posted to our local online newsfeed. I don't have any more information that what is in that post.

That said, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Cheryl Johnson
Mariposa, CA
Hi Cheryl! Nice to meet you! I have been collecting notes and comments from multiple websites and this evening I am speaking with a reporter who interviewed the witnesses and he is going to share with me what the witnesses saw. :) I am hoping I get some decent information. I am also going through Namus and multiple pages on facebook that lists unidentified remains to see if I can get any leads. There are sooo many theories on this case!

Hi Cheryl! Nice to meet you! I have been collecting notes and comments from multiple websites and this evening I am speaking with a reporter who interviewed the witnesses and he is going to share with me what the witnesses saw. :) I am hoping I get some decent information. I am also going through Namus and multiple pages on facebook that lists unidentified remains to see if I can get any leads. There are sooo many theories on this case!
Wow, now I'm getting more interested! I'm from Atwater and still have a lot of friends in the Atwater/Winton area. I have a background in genetic genealogy - DNA - so I'm always looking for a way to tie into that. I wonder what, if any, evidence they collected back then.

A small detail listed in the following article may mark the exact point where Vanessa may have been abducted or possibly even accepted a ride from someone. Seems very rural with many almond tree groves if this map is pinpointing the exact location.

“The walking stick she carried was found at the side of Mercedes Avenue about 200 yards east of Winton Way.”

1711653745303.jpeg
1711653765462.jpeg
1711653887338.jpeg
1711653905765.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members