CA CA - Vernon 'Cody' Matthews, 23, Pollock Pines, 6 June 2014

Another day of search and rescue looking for Cody, and he's still missing. Just hoping tomorrow's search will bring him home.

"talked to him right before he went on his hike, He was looking for a compass,” said Cindi.

Cindi said Cody called her Friday, looking for the compass, but eventually found it in his pocket.

The compass is one of the few items Cody’s mother believes he was carrying on the hike.

“Gorp, water, and a hunting knife,” said Cindi.

“That’s what he was seen walking around the area with earlier that day,” said El Dorado County Sheriff Deputy Greg Almos.

Almos said three witnesses saw Cody walking past cabins and hiking near Ice House Road. Rescue teams have been searching the surrounding area since Sunday morning. The only clue they’ve uncovered, a ping from Codys cellphone.

Read more: http://fox40.com/2014/06/08/few-clues-in-search-for-missing-hiker/#ixzz34XsuqP48

This is the part that does not make sense to me. Cody was seen earlier in the day, according to witnesses. But it says elsewhere that he had a dinner prepared and set out to eat. So did he go on a hike early in the day, and decide to leave again around dinner time?

"talked to him right before he went on his hike, He was looking for a compass,” said Cindi.

Cindi said Cody called her Friday, looking for the compass, but eventually found it in his pocket.

The compass is one of the few items Cody’s mother believes he was carrying on the hike.

“Gorp, water, and a hunting knife,” said Cindi.

“That’s what he was seen walking around the area with earlier that day,” said El Dorado County Sheriff Deputy Greg Almos.

Almos said three witnesses saw Cody walking past cabins and hiking near Ice House Road. Rescue teams have been searching the surrounding area since Sunday morning. The only clue they’ve uncovered, a ping from Codys cellphone.

Read more: http://fox40.com/2014/06/08/few-clues-in-search-for-missing-hiker/#ixzz34XsuqP48

This is the part that does not make sense to me. Cody was seen earlier in the day, according to witnesses. But it says elsewhere that he had a dinner prepared and set out to eat. So did he go on a hike early in the day, and decide to leave again around dinner time?

bbm - That's how I would understand it.

Which would mean he might not have gone on a hike at all when he was leaving at dinner time. Maybe not even leaving voluntarily.

That's exactly what I was concerned about. The other thing that crossed my mind is if he did go on another hike and encountered someone guarding an illegal pot growing site.

Hm. It also seems unusual someone would need a compass for a quick walk before dinner. Maybe he just wants to have it with him, but that seems like more like something you'd need on a long hike.

I keep hoping to hear he's been found, but so far all I've seen is that they're still searching.

He just made the news again tonight in Sacramento. It was all of 30 seconds tops, but they showed his picture and talked about him. I was glad to see it. I don't know if it was a new picture of him but I don't remember seeing it before. He looks SO different in all of his pics, as most people do. I think it's good to get a lot of photos out there.

The story about the little girl that went missing and was found in the Marin area (Ida, age 9, found today) was on TV much longer, but I think it boosted the "Northern California missing people outdoors" story and got Cody more air time. I'm glad the little girl was found and I'm sure happy for any time they can devote to Cody.

Are there any real time satellite images with decent resolution of the area? If so, maybe that is one way to public can assist with the search.

it doesnt make any sense to me, that he was taking another hike, at that time. There was evidence that he already took quite a long hike earlier, came home, fixed dinner, put it on the table. Why get up and go out for another hike right then?

I think his dinner was interrupted. Perhaps an unexpected guest, or a noise outside?

It seems strange that his body has not been found, if he had an accident. Even in the water, with warm weather, it seems as though he should have turned up by now. Jmo

it doesnt make any sense to me, that he was taking another hike, at that time. There was evidence that he already took quite a long hike earlier, came home, fixed dinner, put it on the table. Why get up and go out for another hike right then?

I think his dinner was interrupted. Perhaps an unexpected guest, or a noise outside?

I think that too.

Or maybe he had forgotten something for his dinner, possibly something as ordinary as a soda, and got up to go to a shop before eating? I could see myself doing that.

Bumping for Cody!

10452991_856675261019476_5394596082091838271_o.jpg

Oh dear I had not heard the bit about possible "large predators" in the area he was hiking in before. What kind of animals are they referring to?

From this description it seems the family is fairly sure that he indeed did go on a hike that afternoon. They also know what he took with him - granola bar, water, a knife and a compass.

But it's been 12 days, the food and water don't mean anything now.

One question: if he went on a hike in the afternoon, why would he set the table for dinner? At what time do folks normally eat dinner over there? For example, I have my dinner at 9 or 10 pm, so just wondering ...

This article is from June 16:

Search in forest for missing UC Berkeley student comes to unsuccessful end

The search in Eldorado National Forest for a UC Berkeley student who went missing while hiking June 6 has ended without success, although authorities plan to continue looking beyond the forest.

snip

“(Authorities) think he’s made it out of the area,” Vern Matthews said. “As it stands, we are just in limbo.”

http://www.dailycal.org/2014/06/16/search-forest-missing-uc-berkeley-student-comes-unsuccessful-end/

I also thought that the dinner being set out but not eaten was odd.
They have now ended the official search.
The Sheriff is now suggesting he traveled outside of the area.
There are so many details, which I chalk up to sloppy reporting, which are inconsistent from one article to the next.
I am perplexed by the fact that Cody's phone pinged, as the article worded it "in the river"- most likely meant "down by the river", but they still think he left the area.
What do we know for certain?
He has not yet used his phone since the 6th.
The last ping was down by the river.
Someone broke into the cabin at some point before he arrived and stole various things.
He was seen by people earlier in the day.
He had come back and prepared dinner.

What we don't know
What evidence or information leads the Sheriff's department to suggest that Cody may have traveled outside the area? (other than the fact that he was not found during the search)
Have there been any credible sightings?
Where should people be looking?
Why would Cody leave door unlocked?
If a phone hits the water, does it automatically stop pinging?
Were there any of Cody's things missing, and did he take the knife, GORP, compass, water, etc. back out with him that evening?
What time did his mother speak with him last?
When was the last ping from his phone?

One question: if he went on a hike in the afternoon, why would he set the table for dinner? At what time do folks normally eat dinner over there? For example, I have my dinner at 9 or 10 pm, so just wondering ...

Snipped by me. I think of lunch time as somewhere around noon and dinner time as somewhere around 5 to 7 pm. That is if they're referring to dinner as the evening meal. Some people here in Pennsylvania call the noon meal dinner and the evening meal supper.

Nothing new to report, but keep your eye out for Cody if you live in the area. Supposedly he has been spotted by a few people. I find it hard to believe he would not contact his family.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back