Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

Pot dispensaries ask Supreme Court to review case

DANA POINT – Five pot dispensaries in this city are asking the California Supreme Court to review -- and clarify once and for all – whether a legislative subpoena, such as one issued by Dana Point for the cooperatives' records, is appealable or can only be reviewed by a petition for an "extraordinary writ."
Under California law, such a subpoena gives an administrative body the authority to compel the production of records or testimony from individuals or groups on proceedings before the body. It is an authority exercised hundreds if not thousands of times and sometimes challenged, but a dispensary attorney said he knows of no case in which a legislative subpoena seeking pot dispensary records was at the heart of an appeal.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/court-236529-city-dispensaries.html

I just wanted to bump this thread up for possible discussion....I for one was truly surprised that California voters shot down Prop 19...I expected it to pass by a slim margin. Anyone else want to weigh in?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/03/marijuana-legalization-measure-loses-california/

I'm not surprised... California is known for how the "young" don't get out and vote, but the older folk do... and when, like I read on the news sites yesterday, some guy says he's "going to open a marijuana resort" THAT scares the older folk... so they shoot down props like this one.

Personally, I don't think California, or the country for that matter, is ready for pot to become legalized. It has to accept the medical values first, and most haven't done that. If and/or when that happens, then there might be a chance for it to become legal.

I used to smoke it in my younger years... but I grew up. I don't drink alcohol either - I like having my wits about me.

It may not be save the Economy but it sure would make keeping everyone stoned happier.:blushing::blushing::dance:

Goz

I was kind of shocked that it didn't pass because the older voters are ex-hippy generation - then again maybe they realize their ambitions were not quite as high when high...

We aren't readyfor it - there is not driving under the influence test and the reason I don't think it is a good idea, although for medical use I have no problem, is because one can have a glass of wine with a fine meal to enhance the flavors and the experience and not get drunk from a glass of wine. However with drugs, once you partake the result is in being high and you don't take recreational drugs to enhance a meal - the whole idea is to get high. Sure, people do that with alcohol too, but it's possible not to, whereas with pot it is not possible to be sober once you've taken it. And don't tell me it enhances the taste of the brownies, lol.

I wasn't surprised that it didn't pass this time - the real news was that it even came to ballot. I think 2012 will be a big year for pot - younger voters don't show up for midterms and it will be young people who finally take care of our country's ridiculous marijuana laws.

I believe by the time I'm laid to rest, marijuana will be legal in most every state. Of course, the pharmaceutical companies will fight tooth and nail against it!

I wasn't surprised that it didn't pass this time - the real news was that it even came to ballot. I think 2012 will be a big year for pot - younger voters don't show up for midterms and it will be young people who finally take care of our country's ridiculous marijuana laws.

I believe by the time I'm laid to rest, marijuana will be legal in most every state. Of course, the pharmaceutical companies will fight tooth and nail against it!

I agree, the younger voters don't show up to vote southcity. I agree with use for medical reasons though but I know it will come to be legal everywhere.

Goz

Hmm........

ban the happy meal, legalize pot............the latter could cause craving of the former........it could get complicated.

I believe it didnt pass because of 2 reasons 1) the feds said they would still inforce criminal charges if it did pass 2) my aunt lives in Ca and she said people where calling on the phone saying something to the effect that if it passed it would be thrown out and ultimately the people geting prescriptions would lose their rights. (of course she didnt believe this)

I personally dont smoke but I see nothing wrong with legalizing it. Think about all the money it would save tax payersinforcing the law by arresting people and housing them in jail along with all the court costs.

I just wanted to bump this thread up for possible discussion....I for one was truly surprised that California voters shot down Prop 19...I expected it to pass by a slim margin. Anyone else want to weigh in?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/03/marijuana-legalization-measure-loses-california/

I'm 56, more conservative than not, and I am shocked that California didn't pass this legislation.......I do not believe pot should be illegal; I don't believe it should EVER have been illegal to grow, own, possess, or smoke pot.

As a teenager, I watched many a bar fight by drunks which resulted in injury to one person or both. I have never seen anyone high on pot fight. Same with DUI's.....I've seen plenty of people hurt by those who are drunk on alcohol, but I've never seen someone who was injured by someone who was high on (only) pot.

In my lifetime, I believe we will see the legalization of marijuana across USA. Sheesh, we have so many real problems to deal with, it is a crying shame to waste resources on pot.

Editing to add: Oh, Lord. Please understand: I do not smoke pot, haven't for decades! But I did when I was young.

What's up California I thought this would pass also. There are still a lot of people out there that think that pot leads to heroin use. I think they believe it will lead to more criminal activity. They thought the same thing about gambling and how wrong they were. They thought the same thing about alcohol at one time and how wrong they were. All the myths about pot have been debunked. As a matter of fact it's costing the tax payers millions of dollars to control something that could be controlled if they would just legalize it.

I do not know if it will help California, but it would sure help me get a great night sleep if I had any. :)
I am so tired.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back