CANADA Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just cannot understand how they wouldn't have had his DNA evidence at the crime scene, if it was as vicious and horrendous as LE indicated.

I wonder if releasing him, only to re-arrest him 1 day later, was something of a legal technicality or something like that?

Does anyone know?

Just my opinion only.

They didn't get the DNA results back until after they had released him.

He was sentenced to a certain length of time and after he served that
time they had to let him go as they cannot keep you any longer than you
were sentenced to.

I, too, am surprised he was out of jail... I didn't catch that in my first reading when I posted above. He was sentenced to 46 days for carrying a large knife in his waist band - he was arrested on Dec 29. So if the 46 days started on Dec 29, shouldn't he have been jailed until today? Does anyone know why 46 days wouldn't actually be 46 days, or am I just counting wrong?

I don't recall when Scott was sentenced on the prior conviction, but think it was around the beginning of February.

We Canucks are very nice people greenthumb. When sentenced, the convicted person receives double credit for time served prior to conviction. Our government is in the process of reducing this (can't recall the specifics or if it is in fact law at this point, but it was proposed to reduce that double-time to 1 or 1.5 times time served).

Rest in Peace, Audrey. :rose:

Man charged in Audrey Gleave murder
David Laurie Scott, 50, in court today
By Susan Gamble
Updated 31 minutes ago
http://www.brantfordexpositor.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2974396
Scott had been in jail for more than 40 days on a weapons charge after he was found carrying a large knife during a visit to his own bank in the city. He was released Wednesday morning.

Thanks for the link, DOTR.

This stuck out:

Det.-Sgt. Steve Hrab, of Hamilton's homicide squad, said the suspect was arrested, but refused to reveal details of the evidence leading to the arrest, or if DNA played a role.

"Obviously, you are all aware to put together a case you have two ingredients, there are witnesses and there are forensic pieces of evidence that need to be put together," he said. "Combining those two, we do our best to identify an individual."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/02/11/17239006.html

Drifter silenced in bail court appearance
http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/365904--drifter-silenced-in-bail-court-appearance
A man who lived in a barn several kilometres from the home of murdered retired Hamilton schoolteacher Audrey Gleave appeared via video in Brantford bail court Tuesday morning.

David Laurie Scott, 50, was arrested Dec. 29 and charged with possessing a concealed knife and breaching his probation, one day before the body of Gleave, 73, was found in her Indian Trail home near Lynden on the western border of Hamilton.

In a bizarre moment during his brief video appearance before a justice of the peace, the balding man looked directly into the camera and said, “There is something I’d like everyone to understand, I didn’t …”

Court officials and his duty lawyer immediately and loudly ordered him to stop speaking.

BBM: For anyone who missed what DLS said at his earlier court date.

Schizophrenia:
It has been reported in more than one of the above posted articles that DLS suffers from schizophrenia. I was looking up violence associated with said disorder. Seems like a somewhat common disorder for those on death row. Link follows.
Trying to find an explanation or motive. mental illness/drug/alcohol/ and other abuse.
Mental illness, hearing voices etc. I'm speculating he was a "local" man reading in between the comments section of local papers where commentors stated DLS had permission to stay in the barn and another commented on some relationship he had with a local lady. (can't remember exaclty the wording) while DLS and AG may not have know each other, perhaps they knew "of" each other. ie: that crazy guy who yells at kids that lives in the barn down the road. or that eccentric lady who lives up the road with those big dogs.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro06/web1/cheffron.html

BBM: For anyone who missed what DLS said at his earlier court date.

I wonder why DLS was cut off whilst trying to make his statement. I'm also wondering if LE arrested DLS out of "pressure" to arrest someone here.

Gee, I hope they've got the right guy.........

(Am I alone in these thoughts about LE and cutting DLS off in mid-sentence?) :twocents:

Just found this:

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/484564--we-still-have-work-to-do

----------------

‘We still have work to do'
Residents relieved but also upset with lack of police communication

ARREST: Hamilton police have made an arrest in the six-week-old slaying of 73-year-old Audrey Gleave, whose death homicide detectives described as the most vicious in a decade. David Laurie Scott, 50, is facing a charge of first-degree murder Staff Sgt. Steve Hrab holds a press conference on the arrest.
Kaz Novak/The Hamilton Spectator
Related Stories Man faces murder charge in slaying of retired teacher
Hamilton police have made an arrest in the six-week-old slaying of 73-year-old Audrey Gleave, whose death...

Gleave killing not connected to any other murders
It’s been six weeks Audrey Gleave’s murder and neighbours are anxious

Police buttoned-up on Gleave killing
.THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR
Relief. And then more questions.

That's how neighbours of murdered Audrey Gleave, 73, are reacting to news of an arrest and first-degree murder charge in her death.

Hamilton police charged David Laurie Scott, 50, with first-degree murder Thursday around 4 p.m. at a Brantford laundromat. The homeless man had just been released from a Brantford jail the day prior after serving a short sentence on a charge of carrying a concealed knife.

Scott had been arrested by Brantford OPP on the weapon charge Dec. 29, a day before Gleave's viciously attacked and stabbed body was discovered in the garage of her Indian Trail home. He had been squatting in a barn several kilometres down the road – that barn was searched by Hamilton homicide detectives.

"There is relief, I'm sure, in the neighbourhood, " said Daryl Ferguson, adding he hopes the news in particular brings relief to his wife, Linda, who would trade e-mails with Gleave.

But it has been six weeks since Gleave's body was discovered. For much of that time police have shared few details of their investigation.

Her random murder has shaken the quiet, semirural neighbourhood just outside Lynden.

Ferguson said he would really like to know a more specific time of death, so that neighbours can refocus on remembering what they were doing at that time.

The retired schoolteacher was last known to be alive the evening of Dec. 27, and police say they are keeping an open mind to the time of her death from that point on.

Neighbour Tony Ascroft also said he was glad to see an arrest made, but added that he is interested in seeing what evidence police have.

"It's good to hear something, " he said. "We'll be watching the trial."

Ascroft said he wished police had communicated more with neighbours through the process.

At a news conference regarding the arrest Friday morning, Staff Sergeant Steve Hrab said that just because an arrest has been made doesn't mean his and his detectives' work is over.

"Residents can breathe a little easier today, but as Police say, there is still a long way to go in the evidence against him."

HUH???

WTH is that supposed to mean?

The last sentence by the reporter at the presser today, has me baffled.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2974396

Comments section, page 2 way at the bottom of page are from two people who knew DLS, for many years, one whose Mother had lived with his Father.The Mother passed away 5 years ago.....

:banghead:OK, I confess that I'm severely confused. Did LE arrest him for the murder because:

a) they have hard, DNA evidence

b) he's an easy target, a "weirdo", a mentally ill person.

Very confused about the arrest..........

Can anyone help here?

Thanks.

Police and the courts have not publicly linked Scott’s arrest and Gleave’s murder

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/365904--drifter-silenced-in-bail-court-appearance

Hamilton police said the key to the case was information that came in from the public
Your efforts and the response we got from the neighbours in that area were a significant reason for our success."

By the time he came before a judge, Scott had been in jail for 36 days and was sentenced to an additional 10 days
http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2974396

So all we are told is that they arrested him because of what the neighbours said???? hmmm makes you wonder if they have anything further on him or not.

Something about this part doesn't sit well with me nor does it make sense:

At a news conference Friday, Hamilton police said the key to the case was information that came in from the public.

"I do want to thank members of the media who responded en masse at the scene and listened to our appeals to people in the area for information on Audrey's last movements," said Staff Sgt. Steve Hrab.

"Your efforts and the response we got from the neighbours in that area were a significant reason for our success."

Now the police are asking for more assistance. Hrab said that anyone with information about Scott to call them.

Hrab declined to comment on a possible motive or if Scott knew the victim.

:confused:

And here's what it says under the picture of Hrab during the press conference:

ARREST: Hamilton police have made an arrest in the six-week-old slaying of 73-year-old Audrey Gleave, whose death homicide detectives described as the most vicious in a decade. David Laurie Scott, 50, is facing a charge of first-degree murder Staff Sgt. Steve Hrab holds a press conference on the arrest

So is DLS charged with the murder or not?

I wonder if DS was a complete loner, or if he was ever known to" hang out" with anybody. Did the local youth ever "party' at that barn ,either with DS present, or maybe while he was out, so to speak?
Something scared AG from being outside without the dogs present, as previously posted -
did people try to mooch smokes from her when she sat outside to smoke, or were her dogs so despised and feared, that someone felt that removing AG, would accomplish getting rid of the dogs?
Has DS ever had any sexual assault charges, if not why suddenly now?
Unless, of course he is found guilty, one would wonder about unsolved crimes from the Brantford area in particular...

I wonder if DS was a complete loner, or if he was ever known to" hang out" with anybody. Did the local youth ever "party' at that barn ,either with DS present, or maybe while he was out, so to speak?
Something scared AG from being outside without the dogs present, as previously posted -
did people try to mooch smokes from her when she sat outside to smoke, or were her dogs so despised and feared, that someone felt that removing AG, would accomplish getting rid of the dogs?
Unless, of course he is found guilty, one would wonder about unsolved crimes from the Brantford area in particular...

In the past, Scott has been convicted of assault and cruelty to animals

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2974396

Makes me wonder if somehow AG and DS had some type of encounter and he was mean to her dogs.

:confused: Lots of questions ...

If DLS is so mentally ill, and was walking around downtown sporting a knife that may have been used in a vicious murder, is he clever enough to cover up extensive evidence in his rented barn?

IF there was a high degree of evidence prior to DNA results but while DLS was in custody, why the warning that peeps should be vigilant? If there wasn't a high degree of evidence, and they were awaiting DNA as the concluding factor, why is there such a "long way to go in the evidence against him"? Folks who know him say he wouldn't hurt a flea, and others say they were afraid of him. Who to believe?

DLS was arrested on Dec 29 and was in custody when the barn was being searched around Jan 5, yet on Jan 14, Sgt Hrab was still advising the public to be vigilant. Doesn't sound like they were so certain he was their guy prior to DNA results.

The Centre for Forensic Sciences could have done a rush DNA with results available in 48 hrs ("rush" being requested by LE in top priority cases involving unsolved homicides and sexual assaults). If any case warranted "rush" results, Audrey's case should have been one of them. So why did the DNA sample and testing take so long?

If LE felt DLS was a candidate prior to DNA results, why not state he was a POI or suspect and simply confirm it when DNA results became available?

Snipped by me. Not sure why you think because her dogs were not with her that Audrey was afraid. Her dogs would not be despised and feared afaik, other than by people who hate or fear big dogs. Her 2 dogs are both lovely dogs and doing well. I feel awful for them losing her and I'm glad they are safe and loved.

Snipped by me. Not sure why you think because her dogs were not with her that Audrey was afraid. Her dogs would not be despised and feared afaik, other than by people who hate or fear big dogs. Her 2 dogs are both lovely dogs and doing well. I feel awful for them losing her and I'm glad they are safe and loved.

Hi Flossie. Actually, I think dotr's theory is a pretty good one. Only thing I wonder about is whether Audrey would have sat outside without the dogs (as they were apparently found in a room within the house). It was said earlier (can't recall the source right now) that Audrey had been a bit nervous of late and iirc, didn't go outside without her dogs (maybe someone else can confirm or correct that).

It was also said that the dogs were intimidating and were confined whenever visitors came by. You indicate that the dogs are lovely, so that sounds like you know AG personally. Maybe you could clarify that part for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doobietime