Canada - Bruce McArthur- Pleads Guilty - murders of 8 men, Toronto, 2010-2017 #2

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/...t-until-your-mug-shot-is-on-the-internet.html
Innocent Until Your Mug Shot Is on the Internet

By Tim Stelloh

June 3, 2017
It’s not that police departments in England and Canada don’t collect photographs of people they’ve arrested; they just release them only on occasion, such as when there’s a jailbreak or a murder suspect on the loose. As Eddie Townsend, spokesman for the City of London Police, put it: “It goes back to the principle of innocent until proven guilty.”
rbbm.

This was tweeted by Ann Brocklehurst on why mugshots aren't released in Canada. This is different than in the US. https://mobile.twitter.com/AnnB03/status/958893127951093760

Releasing a mugshot could result in the killer getting away with it, on the argument that police prejudiced his right to be presumed innocent. The public may have decided he's guilty, but it is the trial in the courtroom that matters. At that trial, every single action by police will be subject to challenge, and later by appeal, by the defence. Actions by the media can't be challenged in the same way.

In general, no photo is released by police unless it is important for the investigation. As someone once said "Public curiosity is not probable cause".

Police in this case haven't released any photos of McArthur, they don't need to, it's not necessary for the investigation. They published his name. They left it up to the media to find and publish photos, if they wanted to.

The media used the facebook photos because, once someone publishes photos on facebook, they're considered public domain and can be freely used by the media without permission. Most have settled on using one photo which shows him as looking serious.

I believe all the other photos of McArthur were deliberately published by media outlets in order to highlight the shock value of the story "This nice looking grandad is a serial killer". It sells papers, it's fabulous clickbait.

If you don't like the way media use photos to draw readers into stories, or to cover a story angle, I think the complaints should be directed to the particular media outlet that makes you upset. The justice system works and is taking care to ensure this man spends the rest of his life in jail. Blackening his public image by publishing 'less happy' looking photos of him isn't really the kind punishment we're looking for, is it?.

Thank you very much for clearing this up, Satchie. An excellent, thorough explanation. Very appreciative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, a serial killer is going to make sure he can get physical power over his victim. It appears BM achieved this through sexual role play. A serial killer is also going to ensure no one can identify him as being associated with the victim. That must be uppermost in his mind. It seems BM accomplished that by either randomly picking the person up, or by arranging meetings that he felt confident would be kept private. In most cases that was because these were sexual encounters, and people have a habit of not informing other people of their hook ups.

I wonder if the most recently-identified victim was doing landscaping work for BM, being paid under the table as he could not work legally. I doubt BM was fussy about how he found his victims - some were clearly killed during or after sexual encounters, but that doesn't mean they all were.

He advertised jobs at the shelters. As many companies who want day laborers, he faxed over the job and the shelter would announce all of the jobs in the morning and then toss the faxes out. BM met the workers in front of a newsstand nearby

They shouldn’t be releasing mugshots of victims. They shouldn’t be releasing death photos. An artist’s rendering would have been a better starting g place. Releasing BMs mugshot from his 2001 arrest could help find more victims.

In an emotional interview in Tamil, Kanagaratnam's mother and cousin told CBC Toronto the family has been reeling from the news since a cousin in the Greater Toronto Area phoned to tell them of Kanagaratnam's death on Friday.

"We've been looking for him for two years," said Suthakaran Thanigasalam, Kanagaratnam's cousin.

"We need to know what happened to him. Why did it happen? We need to know when he died."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...iding-after-refugee-status-rejected-1.4623195

[FONT=&amp]The two say Kanagaratnam used to phone daily, but then the calls stopped coming and when they tried to call him his phone wasn't working.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"That's when we started to worry," said Thanigasalam. "I called everybody here and asked if they had a contact for him … I don't know who to ask, who to talk to, I don't know anything."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/family-of-bruce-mcarthur-s-latest-alleged-victim-thought-he-was-in-hiding-after-refugee-status-rejected-1.4623195[/FONT]

Perhaps others have already pointed to this, but most victims share the profile of having been a newcomer to Canda, refugee, and had little family/friendship ties in Canada. IMO he was also targeting this profile.

Many serial killers target victims who are vulnerable and marginalized, partly because they're easy prey and partly because the victims are less likely to be reported missing and the police will not make them a high priority.

He advertised jobs at the shelters. As many companies who want day laborers, he faxed over the job and the shelter would announce all of the jobs in the morning and then toss the faxes out. BM met the workers in front of a newsstand nearby

Gosh, I hadn’t heard about that before. I must have missed reading an article or two.

He certainly knew how to choose those poor victims. Selecting people who more than likely didn’t have close family ties, or didn’t want their loved ones to know about their sexual preferences.

ETA: Montrealaise a couple of comments upthread expressed this much more succinctly. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This was tweeted by Ann Brocklehurst on why mugshots aren't released in Canada. This is different than in the US. https://mobile.twitter.com/AnnB03/status/958893127951093760

Releasing a mugshot could result in the killer getting away with it, on the argument that police prejudiced his right to be presumed innocent. The public may have decided he's guilty, but it is the trial in the courtroom that matters. At that trial, every single action by police will be subject to challenge, and later by appeal, by the defence. Actions by the media can't be challenged in the same way.

In general, no photo is released by police unless it is important for the investigation. As someone once said "Public curiosity is not probable cause".

Police in this case haven't released any photos of McArthur, they don't need to, it's not necessary for the investigation. They published his name. They left it up to the media to find and publish photos, if they wanted to.

The media used the facebook photos because, once someone publishes photos on facebook, they're considered public domain and can be freely used by the media without permission. Most have settled on using one photo which shows him as looking serious.

I believe all the other photos of McArthur were deliberately published by media outlets in order to highlight the shock value of the story "This nice looking grandad is a serial killer". It sells papers, it's fabulous clickbait.

If you don't like the way media use photos to draw readers into stories, or to cover a story angle, I think the complaints should be directed to the particular media outlet that makes you upset. The justice system works and is taking care to ensure this man spends the rest of his life in jail. Blackening his public image by publishing 'less happy' looking photos of him isn't really the kind punishment we're looking for, is it?.
It's not at all about hurting his public image, or posting less flattering photos of BM as some kind of punishment. I think folks want to understand why some people's mugshots are published, and others aren't.

FYI- mugshots are certainly published in Canada.

It's not at all about hurting his public image, or posting less flattering photos of BM as some kind of punishment. I think folks want to understand why some people's mugshots are published, and others aren't.

FYI- mugshots are certainly published in Canada.

My issue with the media is they mostly have used Dean’s mugshot even after photos have been made available and now they are mostly using the one picture of Kirushna that was taken either when he was trying to flee Sri Lanka or after he landed in Vancouver. There are other pictures of him. I think the most offensive BM picture is the Falls one as there is something inherently wrong with the smile and the rainbow in the back. Given what the rainbow signifies for the community, that one is the most offensive. But seeing him smiling and “normal” when his victims are remembered for the rough spots in their life.. it’s heartbreaking and so wrong.

Many also keep forgetting that BM had an arrest and likely mugshots from before. I’d be intrigued to know the legalities of utilizing mugshots from past crimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised if they find another cash of bodies. LE still has not found Mr. Kayhan despite obviously having other evidence to feel comfortable enough to lay charges of his murder. BM also seems to like to bury his victims together or near one another. If LE finds MK then chances are very good that there will be others with him.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised if they find another cash of bodies. LE still has not found Mr. Kayhan despite obviously having other evidence to feel comfortable enough to lay charges of his murder. BM also seems to like to bury his victims together or near one another. If LE finds MK then chances are very good that there will be others with him.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
This is a good point. If for some reason Kayhan is not in that backyard, the likelihood that he's elsewhere and with additional victims, is high.

Sigh. What do we think? Routine appearance? Anything new and surprising?

April 25th was his next scheduled appearance. More disclosure to lawyers, etc. Not that nothing more can’t happen, but it was a scheduled, routine one so unless we hear rumblings of more, I think it will be uneventful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Platform