CANADA Canada - Clifford Sherwood, 9, Verdun, QC, 21 Oct 1954

According to Unsolved Mysteries, Clifford's father had a picture of Clifford looking a bit older than he was when he disappeared. There was also a driver's license issued to a man with Clifford's birthday with the same first and middle names, just reversed (Edward Clifford as opposed to Clifford Edward) and the last name of Sherwood. They were unable to locate the man to whom the license was issued.

I also wonder how they expected Frances Sherwood to identify a badly decomposed torso as her son.

The age progression picture on the Doe network looks so much like one of my former colleague in Montreal I am always fascinated to see it. He is the right age too (68). At some point I questioned him about his family and childhood, but there was nothing weird in his past, from what he said. Anyway, it is just weird...

Anyone search for this "boys" torso that was found? Were there any other boys missing g along this river.
Could it have belonged to George then his case would have been resolved. They don't even mention his parents. Strange! !

I find this case against the 2 boys extremely weird! I have been searching this case for a while now. And the father of one of the boy's military statue of having a different name is strange. Wonder if the father was involved with CIA or FBI to have his pension be sent to another name?? I found this happens sometimes. I don't think the father killed the boys, but I could be wrong too. And what is more strange that an article said the boys stole a rifle. I doubt that happened unless this woman who claimed to know the boys maybe stole the gun or the father of Clifford did. Now I wonder if the mother who passed away knows her son is with her now or someone out there knows what happened to the boys, which is strange to say at the least. And who would walk to the other side of the country at that time to meet his father on surprise doesn't add up neither. And who would let a 9 yr old and 12 yr old walk all the way there. Something did happen to the boys and who is this Tex person? I have seen on several pages on the net? and I noticed something else, If Georgie or George was born a french Canadian but his family is from England. I found that too and this is a relative?

Thomas George Gumbley
mentioned in the record of George Edward Gumbley
Name: Thomas George Gumbley
Wife: Sarah Jane Gumbley
Child: George Edward Gumbley
Other information in the record of George Edward Gumbley
from England, Warwickshire Parish Registers
Name: George Edward Gumbley
Event Type: Christening
Event Date: 10 Sep 1865
Event Place: Claverdon, Warwickshire, England
Father's Name: Thomas George Gumbley
Mother's Name: Sarah Jane Gumbley

And who is Butch? A friend of Clifford and George??? If you find Butch I bet he would know more of what happened to the two missing boys. Maybe they talked to Butch about these plans, a wild goose chase or not.

And why wasn't George ever mentioned in the disappearance, because he needs to be known too of one of the boys missing.

Also I came across some missing people and children that went missing at the same time or closer to dates of when these two went missing. I feel there is a connection to the same person who took these 2.

I feel so sad for George hardly being named at all, as if he doesn't matter as much.

I would find it odd if the father had kidnapped the friend aswell. If the father did it, and kept his son alive, I guess he would have had to get rid of George. If it wasn't the father, the drowning seems plausible. More so than both getting abducted by a stranger without any lead.

http://adr.tv/disparus/0409-26-74-Clifford-Sherwood
attachment.php

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Clif...UICigB&biw=1366&bih=659#imgrc=xlEHdHVoXnLrPM:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 0409-26-74_1.png
    0409-26-74_1.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 53
  • ma9s3l.jpg
    ma9s3l.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 54
Bumping.
https://www.mtlblog.com/lifestyle/10-unsolved-montreal-mysteries-you-probably-know-nothing-about
[h=3]The Disappearance of Clifford Sherwood[/h]9-year-old Clifford Sherwood was sent to school on the morning of October 21st, 1954 by his grandmother, Frances Sherwood, only to never return. Initially it was believed Clifford, along with his friend George Gumbley, had run away from school, with the blame then placed on Tex Sherwood, Clifford's estranged father.

Tex never owned up to abducting Clifford, and even after his death the only clue that remained were two recovered photographs that seemed to be picture Clifford after he had disappeared.

Colleen searched for Clifford for 50 years, right up until her death in 2009. Neither George Gumbley or Clifford were ever seen again, though authorities did find out that a man named Edward Clifford Sherwood, who shared the same birthday as the disappeared, had been issued a drivers license in Edmonton. By the time the police got to Edmonton, the man had left, leaving no clue pointing towards his future whereabouts.

Hey there everyone,
I found this page because I was searching for this episode of unsolved mysteries. George Gumbley is the correct spelling, he is actually my Granny's younger brother. From what I understand according to my granny, George never made it to school and never came home. As for walking to school back then it was very common for kids to walk that far, even my mother who grew up in the same area walked to school with her siblings. The reason George is not mentioned a lot in the case is that this was a very sad and painful incidence for my family they decided to put him to rest and had a memorial service for him long before this episode aired and they didn't want to re-open that wound. They disappeared in the 50's and the episode was filmed in the 90's. I still wonder what happened to them and it was very sad for my granny who never got to see her younger brother again. But if any information is found out I would love to know & be kept posted!

Hey there everyone,
I found this page because I was searching for this episode of unsolved mysteries. George Gumbley is the correct spelling, he is actually my Granny's younger brother. From what I understand according to my granny, George never made it to school and never came home. As for walking to school back then it was very common for kids to walk that far, even my mother who grew up in the same area walked to school with her siblings. The reason George is not mentioned a lot in the case is that this was a very sad and painful incidence for my family they decided to put him to rest and had a memorial service for him long before this episode aired and they didn't want to re-open that wound. They disappeared in the 50's and the episode was filmed in the 90's. I still wonder what happened to them and it was very sad for my granny who never got to see her younger brother again. But if any information is found out I would love to know & be kept posted!
Welcome to Ws HeatherC87!
Glad you found your way here, this is truly a sad disappearance but hoping that one day soon, more information will come to light.
Thanks for the extra information!

Clifford Sherwood & Georges Gumbley: Remembered & Forgotten

I did not see this blog posted previously. It contains some really interesting information, as well as theories on the 2 boys.

Snip...

"Clifford began to walk towards school and came across his best friend Butch. As they were walking, Clifford’s 12-year-old friend Georges Gumbley also joined them. As it was time to head toward the Ballantyne School, Clifford and Georges were still talking amongst themselves. When Butch told them they were going to be late to school the boys told him they would catch up. Neither Clifford nor Georges ever made it to school that day and are still missing."

Snip...

"The search for the boys continued with no luck. The spring after they went missing there was a lower torso of a child (thought to be around Clifford’s age) found near Sorel. Francis just had a feeling it wasn’t her son. She said they only read to her what was found and didn’t show her anything so she would not agree it was him. It is unknown whether the remains could have been Georges’ or not."

Snip...

"There were never any sightings of Georges except right after he disappeared but oddly there do seem to be a few possible sightings of Clifford through the years. I found a mention in a newspaper article where Francis’ stepson came across Clifford’s sister Claudia in the early 1980’s and she had a strange story to tell. She had spoken with her father Tex a few years earlier (in the late 1970’s) and he told her he was drinking at a legion hall in Edmonton. A man came up to him and said “I’m your son Clifford”. He was too drunk to talk to him at the time so he asked the man to come back the next day but he never returned."

What a perplexing disappearance. So sad for those families. IMO MHO

Clifford Sherwood & Georges Gumbley: Remembered & Forgotten

I did not see this blog posted previously. It contains some really interesting information, as well as theories on the 2 boys.

Snip...

"Clifford began to walk towards school and came across his best friend Butch. As they were walking, Clifford’s 12-year-old friend Georges Gumbley also joined them. As it was time to head toward the Ballantyne School, Clifford and Georges were still talking amongst themselves. When Butch told them they were going to be late to school the boys told him they would catch up. Neither Clifford nor Georges ever made it to school that day and are still missing."

Snip...

"The search for the boys continued with no luck. The spring after they went missing there was a lower torso of a child (thought to be around Clifford’s age) found near Sorel. Francis just had a feeling it wasn’t her son. She said they only read to her what was found and didn’t show her anything so she would not agree it was him. It is unknown whether the remains could have been Georges’ or not."

Snip...

"There were never any sightings of Georges except right after he disappeared but oddly there do seem to be a few possible sightings of Clifford through the years. I found a mention in a newspaper article where Francis’ stepson came across Clifford’s sister Claudia in the early 1980’s and she had a strange story to tell. She had spoken with her father Tex a few years earlier (in the late 1970’s) and he told her he was drinking at a legion hall in Edmonton. A man came up to him and said “I’m your son Clifford”. He was too drunk to talk to him at the time so he asked the man to come back the next day but he never returned."

What a perplexing disappearance. So sad for those families. IMO MHO

I am the author of the article. I too was surprised when I started researching the case of all the twists and turns as well as the sordid life of Clifford's father.

Last edited:
This case is so intriguing, I always wondered why there’s so little known about George.
George Gumbley is the uncle I never met because I was born 3 years after he went missing. He is my mothers youngest brother.His name was George not Georges. They were an English family , not French. I am very disappointed that the investigation seemed so little back in 1954 and appeared more focused on the Sherwood boy Clifford but I can tell you he has never been forgotten by his family.

If you go to the sitcomsonline link someone posted above you'll see that a member of the family has posted about the case. (George's family, that is.) What it boils down to is that George's family didn't think they were abducted - they thought they went to a nearby fishing lake or to the river and drowned. Neither possibilities were ever checked out by the police.

Just my opinion, but I get the impression that a lot of focus was on Clifford because of his mom's reaction - and the possible story there was much more sensational than the drowning theory (which seems much more plausible, again, IMHO).
This explanation makes sense in two ways - people can be swept away, drown and there is sadly never any trace of them. Also maybe there is less information about George because Georges' family formed a different explanation than Clifford's mother did and did not need media coverage.

The "Unsolved Mysteries" segment about this case has always been heavily criticized because George Gumbly was treated as a complete afterthought. They presented a specific narrative that Clifford was abducted by his own father, but never really addressed how George would have fit into this. It's certainly possible that the unidentified torso found in 1955 belonged to George, but while Tex was certainly not a good person, would he really have gone so far as to murder another child to kidnap his son?...
either way
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonleblanc061975@gmail.