GUILTY Canada - Harmanjit Singh, 19, Hamilton, Ont, 27 Oct 2014

Such a very sad story..

Family prepares to say final goodbyes to lost son
Harmanjit Singh’s body to be cremated, returned to India
Hamilton Spectator
By Bill Dunphy

Such a very sad story...

A little over five weeks ago, Manjit Singh travelled 11,400 kilometres to help in the search for his missing son, Harmanjit, whom he'd sent to Hamilton for an education and a new life. Today, in a funeral home in a strange city, Singh saw his son one last time.

"We don't want that, (Harmanjit's corpse), to be the way the family remembers him," Chahal said. So arrangements are being made for Singh to fly back to India with his son's ashes as soon as possible following Thursday's funeral in Brampton (where Chahal lives).

Upon their return to the family's village in the Punjab region of India, Chahal explained, priests from the local Sikh temple will commence two days of prayers. The ceremonies will culminate in the release of Harmanjit's ashes upon holy, running water, a reminder of both the cyclical nature of life, and man's origins in the soil and earth.

Chahal said Harmanjit's family will remember an ambitious, hard-working, young man, anxious to make something of himself here in Canada and repay his parents for the "rather large" debt they incurred to send him.

There is some anger and bewilderment among the family and his friends as the circumstances surrounding his disappearance and death remain clouded in mystery. These are under investigation by the homicide unit of the Hamilton police and Monday Chahal said Harmanjit's father has faith.

"He told me 'I believe that Canadian justice will prevail and that we will know what happened to Harman.' "

http://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/5187288-family-prepares-to-say-final-goodbyes-to-lost-son/

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5184230-body-found-in-stoney-creek-confirmed-to-be-missing-teen/

A body found in a Stoney Creek flood basin has been confirmed to be that of missing teen Harmanjit Singh Chahal.

Police announced Friday that DNA was used to positively identify the remains at the Centre of Forensic Sciences in Toronto...

It was described by police as being in an advanced state of decomposition, making visual identification difficult. At first, Singh's family and friends were convinced it was not him.

Hmm, wonder what's up. Sounds like the COD still isn't all that cut and dried. Can't wait to hear whether he was dead before or after going in the water. If they found lots of drugs in his system, and his friends all say he didn't do drugs, what would happen then? Such a weird case (aren't they all though??!!)

Post-mortem tests finished on body of Stoney Creek man

Hamilton police have received the last of the post mortem test results performed on the remains of a missing Stoney Creek man whose body was found at the edge of the lake on Nov. 24.

But the results won't be made public for another couple of weeks, said homicide unit Det. Sgt. Joe Stewart.

"We'll be having a case conference in the very near future … and we'll discuss the evidence and try and reach a determination as to the cause of death," Stewart said.

Stewart declined to discuss the tests or the results but said he should have more information following the case conference.

"It's a co-ordinated, interdisciplinary approach that will include the police, the assigned coroner and scientists from the CFS (Centre for Forensic Sciences)," Stewart explained.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5341199-post-mortem-tests-finished-on-body-of-stoney-creek-man/

toxicology screening?? or dna matching with unknown person??

tough for the family to wait .... hope they have strong support system

All these people that just disappear and end up in the river/creek...just mindblowing.

I wonder what happened to him, how he got there...

Condolences to Mr. Singh's family.

I really hope they are soon able to successfully conclude their investigation and bring justice to this young fellow and his loved ones.

Missing man’s cause of death to remain secret – for now

Police say a case conference of scientists, investigators and the coroner has concluded how 19-year-old Harmanjit Singh died last fall, but they won't reveal it ....

Det. Sgt. Joe Stewart of the homicide squad said Tuesday he wouldn't reveal the cause because "it provides significant evidentiary value.

"I can't discuss details because I don't want to jeopardize the investigation," which he described as active and ongoing.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5342899-missing-man-s-cause-of-death-to-remain-secret-for-now/

Interesting.. so it WAS the guy at the house, his 'friend', the home they had forensically searched for several days. I wonder what took them so long to make the arrest, and what the COD was. BBM

Det. Sgt. Joe Stewart of the homicide unit would not reveal how Singh died, saying that it would come out in the court system. "But I do not believe there was an intent to kill Singh in this incident," he said.

The indignity to a human body charge, Stewart said, stems from the way Singh's remains "were disposed of." Singh's body lay in a water basin for weeks, decaying so much that his own family couldn't even recognize him.

"That's very indignant for a human being," Stewart said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/man-charged-in-harmanjit-singh-death-1.2972744

Another article. Amazing (to me) how often it does really turn out to BE the last person to have seen a person, that did it!

Also, interesting that LE had searched the accused's vehicle, and returned it to him afterward. One might assume that the death happened either in the home or in the vehicle, and if in the home, then the body would have been taken via the vehicle to where it was found... so how could the police NOT have found anything in it? And if they HAD found anything in it, I doubt if it would have been returned, and surely an arrest would have been made more quickly? That is really disturbing to me that it *seems* LE didn't find any evidence in the vehicle.

I wonder what their relationship was, because as Harman's friends suggested, it does seem odd for the teenager with girlfriend and fresh out of college, to be hanging out with a guy twice his age. I know age doesn't matter, but it just feels somewhat creepy to me in this case. I suppose it is because of the very young age of Harman, ie the older people are, the less of a difference an age separation makes. MOO. It makes me wonder if it was drug related, although that would be terribly sad, because Harman had the world by the strings, why would he get involved in something like that.

BBM

... Police have arrested the last person known to have seen 19-year-old Harmanjit Singh alive, and charged him with manslaughter and offering an indignity to a human body. ...

Several of Singh's friends told The Spectator they had concerns about Singh's relationship with Deol, a man twice his age, and had even told Singh he should not spend so much time with Deol.

During their investigation, Hamilton police seized and searched the SUV that Deol had been using, returning it after spending days looking for evidence.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5...n-death-and-disappearance-of-harmanjit-singh/

Accused is charged with weapons offences and breach of probation not thought to be connected with the murder charge. Bail hearing scheduled for April 1st, expected to take an entire day:

Police sent out another media release on March 5 stating he is now facing 11 other charges – eight firearm and three breach of probation charges.
http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/manslaughter-suspect-in-death-of-stoney-creek-teen-harmanjit-singh-now-faces-multiple-weapons-charges/

Deol appeared in a Hamilton court Thursday for those initial charges and had a further 11 added to the list: eight firearms charges and three breach of probation charges.

It's not clear why police waited nearly four months to lay the weapons charges. The Spectator was unsuccessful in reaching detectives Thursday.

In a press release, police said, "There has been no evidence obtained to believe that the firearms had played any role in the disappearance or death of Harmanjit Singh."

Deol, shackled and dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, appeared briefly before the court, but did not speak. His case has been put over until April 1 for a bail hearing that is expected to take more than a full day.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5455755-singh-manslaughter-suspect-faces-gun-charges/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/man-charged-with-weapons-offence-in-harmanjit-singh-death-1.2984259

''Singh, a student from India who'd just finished a certificate program in manufacturing at Mohawk College and received a permit for work in Canada, disappeared on Oct. 27, 2014 while spending the night with his recent friend, Deol.

Singh told his girlfriend in a video chat and texting session that he couldn't make it home that night because Deol's borrowed SUV had a flat. But Singh told her he'd see her the next morning. "

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5455755-singh-manslaughter-suspect-faces-gun-charges/

the old flat tire excuse raises eyebrows for me.....

interesting also that a weapon had serial number removed.....

breach of probation.....hmmm wonder what his past charges were....

''The weapons, two firearms (one whose serial number had been tampered with) and ammunition, were seized on Nov. 6 when detectives from the east end division executed a search warrant at a Stoney Creek home during their investigation of Singh's disappearance"

and

"Deol appeared in a Hamilton court Thursday for those initial charges and had a further 11 added to the list: eight firearms charges and three breach of probation charges.''

Pal who concealed Harmanjit Singh’s drug death guilty of indignity to his body

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6779333-pal-who-concealed-harmanjit-singh-s-drug-death-guilty-of-indignity-to-his-body/

After his teenage friend overdosed and died, Dashminder Deol first Googled how to pump his stomach — and then how much his silver necklace was worth.

Deol, 38, has pleaded guilty to indignity to human remains in relation to the October 2014 death of his friend, 19-year-old Harmanjit Singh — a lesser charge than the manslaughter charge he'd also initially faced.

For the first time Friday, details of the teen's suspicious death — and the callous disposal of his body — were finally revealed in court.

Deol will return Aug. 5 at 3:30 p.m. for sentencing.

The Crown is seeking five-year sentence minus credit for time served (a total of 771 days, at time-and-a-half). The defence is seeking a sentence of 3.5 years minus credit for time served.

So it was drugs after all :(

From above link:

Singh, an international student from India, died of a drug overdose — a lethal combination of cocaine and Fentanyl, a powerful painkiller prescribed to Deol — early on Oct. 27, 2014.

And this Deol guy moved his body twice.

Deol hauled the body to an "unknown location," using a white Ford Edge SUV on loan from a friend.

snip

Early on Oct. 29, Deol — with the help of an "unidentified male" — transported Singh's body from the initial unknown location to a culvert on Seabreeze Crescent in Stoney Creek, again using the Ford SUV.

Surveillance footage from a home on the street caught the two men lifting the body from the trunk, and carrying it north (out of camera view) toward a small creek. According to the facts, Singh's body was dumped at the side of the road, rolling down an embankment where it came to rest in the culvert for the creek that flows into Lake Ontario.

Who needs enemies with friends like this?

I don't understand why he wasn't being held at least partially responsible for Harmanjit's death as he provided the drugs and then failed to call an ambulance. Maybe they couldn't prove that he would have survived if he had gotten help?

How do they know that Deol didn't slip the drugs into Harmanjit somehow, unbeknownst to Harmanjit, for some unknown reason, ie to take advantage of him somehow? to steal something from him?

Why was the other unknown person who helped discard the body not also charged? Surely they could have found out who he was?

Just speculating

How do they know that Deol didn't slip the drugs into Harmanjit somehow, unbeknownst to Harmanjit, for some unknown reason, ie to take advantage of him somehow? to steal something from him?

My guess is they might suspect this but can't prove it.

Why was the other unknown person who helped discard the body not also charged? Surely they could have found out who he was?

Maybe that person made a deal and told them about Deol in exchange for not being charged?

Article in today's Spectator. Personally, I think it is unbelievable that Deol only got 2 years. It was *his* prescribed fentanyl, he did nothing to try to help, the man is twice the age of the boy who died, and he tried to sell his 'friend's' jewellery? Wow.

Does 19-year-old’s overdose death make case for ‘Good Samaritan’ law?
[h=2]Dashminder Deol didn’t call 911 when his friend, Harmanjit Singh overdosed on fentanyl and cocaine because he feared criminal charges, lawyer says.[/h] With opioid overdose deaths on the rise across Canada, "Good Samaritan" overdose legislation (Bill C-224) is working its way through Parliament — so far with unanimous support — and would provide immunity from possession charges to anyone who calls 911 in the case of an overdose emergency.

"Sometimes, for people who are actively using opioids … they may be getting them illegally. There is a criminal element, potentially, that makes people feel more vulnerable," says Debbie Bang, manager of addiction services at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton.

Though Deol's case is certainly complex — for example, phone records show he attempted to pawn his dead friend's silver necklace — his lawyer says fear of criminal charges was absolutely a factor in his failure to call 911.

Deol, 38, who pleaded guilty to indignity to human remains in the death, hauled the body to an "unknown location," using a vehicle on loan from a friend.

Deol admits to a long struggle with addictions. It was his fentanyl (prescribed for chronic pain) that Singh had been taking that night.

It is a "difficult position" to be in, says defence lawyer Harpreet Saini — "Hypothetically, if Dash had made that call, would police not have charged him?"

The proposed legislation would protect callers from drug possession charges but not trafficking charges. It's blurry territory given that, under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act's definition, trafficking includes "giving" someone drugs.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...dose-death-make-case-for-good-samaritan-law-/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back