Canada - Homeless Man, Ken Lee, Stabbed to Death by 8 Teen Girls in "Swarming Attack", Toronto, Dec 2022

I think it's likely that the girls live in an area that is easily commutable using public transport. They are identified as from the GTA which is comprised of city of Toronto, and regional municipalities of Durham, Peel, and York so I can pretty well guarantee that all these girls were within the city limits where they can travel by subway, streetcar and/or bus to get to the downtown area without having to pay extra.

I'd be interested to know the age of those denied bail and whether it was deemed they were the ringleaders or had prior run-ins with the law. It doesn't necessarily follow they were the youngest of the group.

March 31 2023
By Raju MudharPodcast Co-Host/Producer''
Guest: Jennifer Pagliaro, crime reporter

In December, eight teenage girls were accused of allegedly swarming and killing a man in downtown Toronto. This shocking crime is now making its way through the criminal justice system, and due to the ages of the suspects, there are limits on what can be reported on the crime. Jennifer Pagliaro, a crime reporter for the Star, has been following the case through bail hearings, and joins us to tell what she can and can’t say about this incident and what it says about the escalation of young people perpetrating more serious crimes in the Greater Toronto Area.''

By Jennifer PagliaroCrime Reporter
March 27, 2023 rbbm
''For 10 days over the past two months, hearings in one of the most unprecedented youth cases in Ontario’s history happened out of public view in a stifling courthouse on Jarvis Street.

Eight teen girls came and went from Courtroom 1E in the downtown courthouse, occupied most days, apart from lawyers, by their families and a small group of reporters.

Accused of killing homeless man Kenneth Lee late last year, the girls’ hearings have largely centred on their attempts to get bail — what have often been daylong ordeals. I spent enough time in the courthouse that most of the security guards recognized me and the other reporters covering the case, letting us out into the dark after the front doors had been locked for the night.

At the same time, a group of media outlets including the Star have been trying and often failing to gain access to court records in this case, denied even basic information in the maddening way that’s typical of youth court.

You’d be right to wonder then, why, if I have spent all this time in court, has so little specific detail been written about this case? Why, for such a shocking case, does the public know virtually nothing about the charges, these girls and a pending trial?

The short answer: it’s illegal to tell you about much of what I’ve seen and heard in court.''

And I suppose, these eight « children » will go to trial and we, the public, will learn nothing because it’s our duty to protect these young « children ». Right? What about Mr. Lee’s rights and his lack of protection? Who protected him against a gang of killers? It’s such a shameful thing. This is murder, not stealing a candy bar.

And I suppose, these eight « children » will go to trial and we, the public, will learn nothing because it’s our duty to protect these young « children ». Right? What about Mr. Lee’s rights and his lack of protection? Who protected him against a gang of killers? It’s such a shameful thing. This is murder, not stealing a candy bar.
My opinion ... these killers will go on to commit more crimes.
Maybe not murder.
But who knows ?
I think it's possible they could be dangerous -- either alone or in a group -- for a very long time !
The act of driving a knife into an innocent victim displays the utter lack of humanity present in the hearts and minds of these perpetrators.
M00.

^^^^^Oh absolutely they are dangerous. And I believe they will become more dangerous when the system lets them off with a slight tap on the wrist. They will not be punished properly. The lesson will never be learned. Horrible.

Do we know when the trial is? Or have I missed that?

rbbm
''Two more teen girls who stand charged with second-degree murder in connection with the swarming death of Toronto man Ken Lee have been granted bail.

Both girls, whose names cannot be released under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, were released on bail Wednesday after hearings in a downtown Toronto youth court.

The teens had previously been denied bail two months ago, but were back before court for their bail to be reexamined. The reasons for that change cannot be disclosed due to a publication ban, but CBC News has learned through a memo sent by the provincial Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services that there was an "incident" at the facility where the girls had been staying.

Subsequently, all youth housed in that location have been transferred to another facility "until further notice, or until they are released from custody/detention," according to the memo.

Upon hearing the decision on her release after spending four months in detention, one teen broke down in tears in court Wednesday.

She was released with bail conditions, and will be staying with her grandparents in Ottawa, court heard.''

June 15 2023
Two girls charged in a fatal swarming attack on a homeless man downtown are back in custody, the Star has learned.
Because there was no police information about what caused their return to custody, nor was the information about their subsequent court appearances publicized — as is typical with most youth matters in Ontario — members of the media were not present to learn specific details on why the two girls were separately taken back into custody last month.
Late last year, eight girls were charged in the death of Toronto homeless man Kenneth Lee in what police described as a “swarming” attack outside Union Station. All but one of the teens were later released on bail following a series of lengthy court hearings.''

June 15 2023
Two girls charged in a fatal swarming attack on a homeless man downtown are back in custody, the Star has learned.
Because there was no police information about what caused their return to custody, nor was the information about their subsequent court appearances publicized — as is typical with most youth matters in Ontario — members of the media were not present to learn specific details on why the two girls were separately taken back into custody last month.
Late last year, eight girls were charged in the death of Toronto homeless man Kenneth Lee in what police described as a “swarming” attack outside Union Station. All but one of the teens were later released on bail following a series of lengthy court hearings.''

Possibly additional charges related to more criminal events or the suspicion that there was indications they were leaving the country.

Feb 16, 2024 rbbm
''In a shocking development that could put her bail in jeopardy, a 14-year-old girl charged in a stabbing at the Wilson subway station Friday is one of the eight girls facing second-degree murder for the 2022 stabbing of Ken Lee.''

''The victim did not know the two, police said.''
''The girl was taken into custody by officers at the scene, while the male suspect fled in a northeast direction along Wilson Avenue towards Wilson Heights Boulevard, police said.
The victim was taken to hospital to be treated for serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.''

<modsnip - image removed per YCA>
''Police also released an image of the male suspect.
He is described as wearing a black, puffy, winter jacket, a black hooded sweater, a black face covering, slim charcoal ripped jeans, and white and gray high top “Jordan” shoes.''

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2024 rbbm
''In a shocking development that could put her bail in jeopardy, a 14-year-old girl charged in a stabbing at the Wilson subway station Friday is one of the eight girls facing second-degree murder for the 2022 stabbing of Ken Lee.''

''The girl was taken into custody by officers at the scene, while the male suspect fled in a northeast direction along Wilson Avenue towards Wilson Heights Boulevard, police said.
The victim was taken to hospital to be treated for serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.''
View attachment 483785

View attachment 483784
He is described as wearing a black, puffy, winter jacket, a black hooded sweater, a black face covering, slim charcoal ripped jeans, and white and gray high top “Jordan” shoes.''
So she’s out and stabs again? Disgusting.
She’s lucky she is not under the US criminal justice system .

Feb 16, 2024 rbbm

View attachment 483785

View attachment 483784
Wow to it all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iz2013
Back