CANADA Canada - Ingrid Bauer, 14, Kleinburg Ontario, 16 Aug 1972

so sad!

Months before he took his last breath, the 87-year-old German immigrant made his way to Newmarket courthouse to declare his little girl deceased.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...-tips-still-come-in-for-missing-ingrid-bauer/
attachment.php

Larry Teeple said he still thinks about the case all these years later, still believing, as he did from the moment he discovered Ingrid was missing, that the case was somehow not random.

"It never made sense to me that they would be able to conceal their crime for 45 years if it was totally random," he said from his Tottenham home.

Courtice said the case will never be personal for him, but did say he was moved by the emotion Oscar displayed when the men met before his passing.

"It was clear to us, that for Oscar this crime was very fresh and he was still trying to process it."

For Athwal, dedicating himself to cold cases is a challenge, having read through each of York police's 51 cold cases seven times.

"This type of case tests your perseverance, dedication and your patience," Athwal said.

During the original investigation there were five suspects, all interviewed and their names cleared, confirmed through alibis.

One officer told Brent he thinks the best chance to find Ingrid is a deathbed confession.

For a crime that shook Oscar "to the very core of his being," according to Brent, it may be the only way he is ever be able to truly rest in peace.

Attachments

• B823397376Z.1_20170612095214_000_GN11T96KO.4_Gallery.jpg
    B823397376Z.1_20170612095214_000_GN11T96KO.4_Gallery.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 57
Not much to go on but..
1. She leaves at 930 to visit boyfriend tells her father she will be home at 1030. She needs to hitchhike and the boyfriend lives 6 kil.? 5 miles? away. The article linked a few posts back says there were few cars along those then rural roads at the time. So...the timeline she gave Dad doesn't make sense. It would be almost impossible to be home by 1030. It was the first time she had hitchhiked at night so why did the father think this timeline made sense? Also I was a teenager at that time and while I hitchhiked in my experience it would be very unusual for any girl especially a "straightlaced" girl to hitch alone anytime let alone at night. Why do the boyfriend and father after the former calls Dad not think that maybe did not get a ride?

2. Why suspect she was hit by a car right away checking ditches etc. My first instinct would be to follow the route to boyfriend's house and hope even expect to find her en route. Since it is such an innocent time (the topos probably incorrect of the article) but does everyone immediately expect the worst?

3. The boyfriend says he thinks it was not random. He thought that immediately and still thinks so. Now that is interesting. Does he have any thoughts about suspects? If so has he told police? (Even if the suspicions is not based on anything very sound....I would trust his intuition here, why not since there is so little to go on. ) What are her milieu her contacts? School, the new modelling class/job(?) what else?

4. I would suspect that was getting a ride from someone that would make sense EXCEPT the brother sees her hitchhiking.

5. Do we know when the boyfriend called her Dad?

1. The father says everything has been paved over so she will never be found but where someone hear a person cry out (shown on the map) I see Foster Woods and some broad pathways leading up to them that it seems a person could drive on and these MIGHT have been there at the time. So not everything has been paved over. Presumably this area was rigorously searched though. And of course it may not have been Ingrid in any case.

2. The brother sees Ingrid hitchhiking goes in the store she is gone when he comes out. Note: he also sees a police car. My instinct and this is probably unfair is slightly to question the brother's and father's statements. I would like to know if the store-keeper remembered seeing the brother. Did the police officer see Ingrid? There is not much traffic they say and indeed she hasn't gotten a ride when the brother reaches the store but she is gone after the few minutes ( presume) he was in the store. I wonder why he comments that there was a police car? ( I mean both psychologically/intuitively and factually).
3. Just to play extreme devil's advocate if there is no body then we cannot be 100% sure she is dead. She leaves the house in bare feet did she know she would be getting a ride?

4. Note that Detective Hay dies in an unusual electrocution accident.

5. Looking on google street view just now going north along Major Mackenzie just past Sevilla where the cries were hear there is bush right up to the road on both sides. And scrub fields in places. I am sure the area is built up in comparison to the early 70's but from the father's words I had pictured nothing but cement in all directions. But not the case...

Last edited:
1. one more...there was one more witness a friend who saw her walking south so she did not disappear while her brother was in the store. 2. correction her parents did search the route to the boyfriend it seems. 3. back to the boyfriend's idea that it was not random: the timeline becomes interesting as she is just back from the cottage that evening. So who would know when she was coming back or that she was back?

IBauer1.jpg

Ibauer4.jpg

Ibauer5.jpg
IBauer2.jpg
IBauer3.jpg

Right: Aged progressed by EDAN artist Diana Trepkov

Ingrid Bauer
Missing since August 16, 1972 from Kleinburg, Ontario, Canada.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: February 17, 1958
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 100 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown eyes; Brown hair, longer than shoulder (shoulder length +6"), straight.
    • Clothing: She was last seen she was wearing brown slacks and an off-white sweater with red apples on it. She was not carrying any money nor other belongings.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Shortly after 21:30 on August 16, Bauer walked out the front door of her home in Kleinberg to catch a ride to her boyfriend, 4.7 miles away in Pinegrove. She had never hitchhiked at night before.

Bauer's house is on Pennon Road, an east-west street that runs west from Islington Avenue about four miles north of Highway 7 and on the south edge of the village of Kleinberg. Ingrid was last seen at about 21:45 walking south on the west side of Islington Avenue. And then she disappeared.
She never arrived at her destination and has never been seen again.

Various residents of Kleinburg reported hearing the cries of what appeared to be a young person in the area of Islington Avenue and Sevilla Drive at approximately 22:00 that evening, and reported seeing an unknown make or color pick up truck in the area of where the cries were heard.
Within an hour, her family knew she had not arrived and a search was launched. No trace of her was ever found.

Her family now believes their daughter is dead. They suspect a man later found guilty of raping an eight-year-old girl and attacking an 18-year-old woman was also responsible for Ingrid's disappearance.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

York Regional Police
905-830-0303
Homicide & Missing Persons Unit
1-866-823-3334, Extension 7778

Agency Case Number: 1972-10461

Source Information:
The Toronto Star
York Regional Police
The Doe Network: Case File 908DFON

I have heard about this case only yesterday. It is sad and interesting. I am living in relatively close proximity.

Not wishing to criticize anybody, but how come that she was allowed to walk alone, even worse to hitchhike, to boyfriend's place? 9:30 pm? 14 year old? Never ever hitchhiked before during night time?

If she really wanted to see her boyfriend, wouldn't be more prudent that BF came to her place at that time of the day/night? Anyway, I was looking up the maps... Hmmm... Close to the route she was abducted from are Hwy 27, Conservation Area and Boyd Park. And woods... Lots of possibilities for a perpetrator to run away. I don't know if those areas were searched. I think that she was abducted/snatched maybe some 5-10 minutes after she was last seen alive. From her home to the intersection where the cries were heard is around 600 meters (some 2000 feet). Some 8 minutes long walk.

Did they ever use cadaver dogs? They must be able to pick up her scent...

@Chorley8, I found actually an interesting article published one year after her disappearance. It gives more details and sheds more lights on her timeline...

Apparently she caught her father off guard asking him if she could go and see Larry. He didn't realize how late it was till Ingrid's girlfriend called and asked to talk to her. The gf called Larry and then Larry called Ingrid's parents to ask about Ingrid. Then both families went to look for her, but without any success.

Regarding her brother, it is said that when he went to buy cigarettes, and he turned around corner to Islington Avenue, he couldn't see her and assumed she got a ride.

A neighbor saw Ingrid at 9:50 walking on Islington Avenue - he was able to pinpoint time since he was timing boiling the eggs and he just started when he saw her.

Now, my dilemma is did Larry know that she planned to visit him? What if she planned to meet with somebody else, used Larry as an excuse and that one turned to be the wrong choice? If she wanted to see Larry, why she wouldn't wait till the morning? And yes, maybe somebody else knew that she was coming home from the cottage and arranged to pick her up? Larry is still expressing his opinion that Ingrid was not taken randomly. This is MOO. And, I don't think that if she was meeting somebody else that she planned to run away. No!

It's surprinsing the parent's first reaction was to check the roadsides... Was it a foggy day? I see some of you think she may have met foul play, but... what if it was an accident? Maybe that motorist decided to take her to the hospital but she died and they went into a panic.
I think that's a very likely option as Ingrid was hitchhiking, I suppose it was dark (9:30 pm), so... Perhaps there was other element (rain, fog or bushy roadsides) that caused the disaster.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back