CANADA Canada - James Walton, a.k.a. Michael De Bourcier, 27, Caledonia, ON, 2 Aug 1992

I would want to know if any friend or acquaintance that knew Mike actually identified his body.

Also, I wouldn't automatically assume the worst. Maybe he just had an unhappy childhood, and decided to reinvent himself, with a new name and backstory.

.. which also makes sense.

Though, he did go to an inordinate amount of effort, if so. For most people in that situattion (and I know two people who actually did this..), simply moving away/change of name by deed poll would suffice. But then, people are strange. :dunno:

Fascinating story!

Did Mike befriend others at the job? Had you ever been to his home? I'm curious if there were family photos and how he lived.

I to am curious if this man really died or moved on to a new identity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing of interest to add here, just wanted to say Wow.......

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/05/22/dna-solves-mystery-of-toronto-mans-assumed-id.html

"May 22 2015

Police say a Caledonia, Ont., man who disappeared in 1992 took the name of a dead boy and lived under the assumed name until his death 10 years later.

James Scott Walton was reported missing after he failed to arrive for a scheduled visit with friends at Syracuse University.

His vehicle and personal effects were found near the airport in Buffalo, N.Y.

Ontario Provincial Police say they’ve discovered Walton had assumed the name of Michael Debourcier — a four-year-old boy who had died in a car crash in British Columbia — and moved to Toronto in 2000".

This was his page on Doe..

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3980dmon.html

http://www.simcoereformer.ca/2015/05/21/dna-helps-solve-missing-person-case

“Every missing person story is solvable,” said Western Region OPP Sgt. David Rektor. “Sometimes it takes a hit like this – information that comes from out of the blue or someone's curiosity or someone else's idea to help change the focus of an investigation. In conjunction with police efforts, these stories are solvable in many cases. It's bittersweet – we're happy to give some closure to the family, but wish it could be better news.”
Through a press release, Haldimand County OPP said they are interested in speaking with anyone who may have known Walton, had dealings with him prior to his disappearance, or while under the identity of Debourcier.

Rektor said Debourcier's former roommate made it a personal matter to investigate further.

“The friend felt very betrayed not knowing who this person was that he befriended, it became more out of curiosity,” Rektor noted. “So he hired the PI and everything went from there and everything came together pretty quickly after the information was relayed to the OPP.”

Anyone with more information about the case can call the OPP at 1-800-222-8477 or their local police service."

rbbm.

Fascinating! -- Bless that roommate being such an important catalyst for solving the mystery for the family. I hope we will hear more about the reasons for the change in identity. Perhaps he wasn't doing so well at school or??

http://www.cbc.ca/livethroughthis/s...-help-me-find-the-real-identity-of-my-friend/

Friend had guarantored his passport application. Was expecting a call from Passport Office if there were any questions re application etc but instead got a call from LE saying his friend was dead.

Interestingly, he had prepaid for his own funeral week earlier.....

No burial/funeral details released by funeral home so disposition of body remains undisclosed.

Ohhhh - I remember reading about this on the FB page. Thanks so much for the update, dotr! And (not so) newone, I'm looking forward to the documentary, too!

passport arrived day he died:thinking:

here's link to SU calendar (archive 2002) end of summer term and exams at time of his disappearance when he was to have met up with friends there.....in missing person report it indicated that he had studied at Syracuse. Year and degree - not mentioned.

http://www.syr.edu/registrar/acadcalendars/fiveyearcal_1999-2004.pdf

by now hopeful PI has done a background search to see if a degree was ever issued to him.

Now that identity has been established I wonder if Dylan could comment on the photo of the JW at the time of his disappearance compared to the one he knew??? Even though some time had elapsed I wonder if there was enough of a resemblance to create an ''aha'' moment??

So this isn't a cold case after all?

By the way, what crime occurred? Where did said crime occur? What is the victim's name? Is s/he missing? Or dead?

Imo, this thread belongs under the missing/located forum.

Here is the Doe Network case file on Mr. Walton: link

"The mystery of the friend with a fake identity"??? What the heck does that mean?

Again, no offense against you, nitsirk, but thread titles should include names, or at the very least a county or city name.
I didn't start the thread. I just remembered the story and did a search for it. [emoji55]

I didn't start the thread. I just remembered the story and did a search for it. [emoji55]

Glad that you did! I am intrigued by this story and did not know anything about it -- I really hope that we will hear more. U of S has a high acceptance rate and unless JSW had a scholarship he would have had to pay out of state rates for tuition.....

I find it odd that he prepaid his funeral a week before but died of a heart attack.

I've been peoccupied with the Washington murders and the Duggars. I'm going to refresh my mind with this story and read about the follow up now. I remember looking forward to the documentary and then forgot about it. Hope it comes out soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back