GUILTY Canada - Liana White, 29, Edmonton AB, 12 July 2005 - #4

CyberLaw said:
From a legal point of view, a person usually does not plead guilty to a crime, they take their chances with a jury. People who murder usually are not ethical people.

Especially with a crime that has a minimum of 25 years in Prison.

With all of the circumstances surrounding the death of his wife, there will be a lot of unanswered questions. No weapon, other suspects, reasonable doubt, cause of death, timeline, etc. Even if the Crown has as strong case, the defendant rolls the dice,what does he have to lose.

I would be SHOCKED if this man pleaded guilty. That would probably only happen with a plea bargain and a lesser parole period in exchange for.

Scott P did not plead guility and they only charged him with a crime(same as White) when LE positivly knows the person is dead.

If you don't have a body, the person is still missing and the defence will state: No one knows if this person is dead, they could be on a beach in Hawaii soaking up the sun, not wanting to be found.

With the finding of a body, a whole diffferent story...........
we know all that - but thanks for telling us in case we didnt know..
Its not rocket science for a defendant to roll the nice vs confess..and I dont think he will either-but every once in awhile someone surprises us..and if he pleads out thats fine too - if it saves the families grief.

Liana White's family and friends will say good-bye Wednesday, two weeks after the 29-year-old woman was first reported missing.

The funeral will be held at the Connelly McKinley funeral home chapel, and in lieu of flowers, the family is asking for donations to a trust fund for three-year-old Ashley White.

Friend Marina Perilli says donations can be made at any TD Canada Trust branch.

"It's going to be used for education, just to help raise Ashley," Perilli said. The toddler is staying with her maternal grandmother.

Thursday, the medical examiner said Liana White's body was too decomposed to pinpoint the exact cause of her death, but said there is enough evidence to call it "homicidal violence."

The medical examiner's office said the term "homicidal violence" was used to describe the cause of death because the body had severely decomposed, preventing an exact determination of how she died. As well, there were marks on her body that indicated she had been involved in a struggle before she died.

And no natural cause of death could be found.

"They could not specifically pinpoint the cause of death, other than as the result of violence," police spokesman Dean Parthenis said.http://calgary.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ca-white-funeral20050722

Donations continue to pour in for an Edmonton preschooler whose 29-year-old mother's body was found earlier this week.

Marina Perilli, a friend of Liana White, said yesterday the family is touched by the public's generosity.

In a statement she read on behalf of White's mother, Maureen Kelly, Perilli spoke of how a trust fund will benefit the slain woman's three-year-old daughter Ashley.

"Liana's friends' hearts go out to Ashley and the difficult life she will have because of the tragic loss of her mother and family as she knows it.

"Ashley is very young and will require many years of care and support. She is very fortunate that her grandmother is now providing care for her. However, friends of Liana understand the financial implications are significant both now and in the future.

"Any help will make a difference in the quality and care of Ashley."

Perilli said Ashley still hasn't been told of her mother's death, but is surrounded by caring individuals. "She's doing all right," she said.

In the days after White's death was confirmed, a number of businesses and organizations established funds for the little girl. http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2005/07/23/1144571-sun.html

Vellacott continued, "This brutal crime highlights the need to address not only the inadequacy of our current criminal justice system, but also the huge social problem of violence against pregnant women." According to a March 2002 report by the Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women, "abuse often begins or worsens during pregnancy, when a woman is most vulnerable, and most dependent on her partner's support."

Referring to another report published by the Canadian Perinatal Surveillance System in February 2004, Vellacott pointed out that women abused during pregnancy are four times more likely than other abused women to experience more serious violence, including being beaten up, choked, threatened with a gun/knife, or sexually assaulted. "We don't know at this point whether the motive for Liana's murder had anything to do with the fact that she was pregnant," Vellacott said, "but it is certainly something we cannot ignore." He referred to one study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in March 2001 which concluded that "a pregnant or recently pregnant woman is more likely to be a victim of homicide than to die of any other cause."
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/jul/05072205.html

The case of an Edmonton man accused of murdering his pregnant wife has ignited a debate over whether Canada should make it a crime to kill unborn children.

Saskatchewan MP Maurice Vellacott will pursue a private member's bill to include a Criminal Code charge for murdering a wanted fetus, similar to a law enacted in the U.S. last year after California's high-profile Scott Peterson case.

His push for legal reform comes in the wake of the case of Michael White, who was charged with murdering his pregnant wife Liana.

Vellacott thinks White should be charged with double homicide, but under Canadian law there is no charge for killing an unborn child.

"The bizarre thing about the situation in Canada is that you can have a greater sanction against someone who has created some cruelty on an animal," he said. http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2005/07/23/1144572-sun.html

You would think if it was not premeditated, and killed her in a fit of passion then he would confess.

I betcha his lawyer is trying to keep him from confessing. Its really a shame because it would be the one good thing he could do to make this case move along quickly and give her family some semblance of peace.

It would also be good to know what it was that started it all and ended it all...the only one able to answer that is him.

linnafay said:
It would also be good to know what it was that started it all and ended it all...the only one able to answer that is him.
I am hoping what they found at the house, revealed what it started over.

Police say the fact they don't know exactly how a four-months pregnant Edmonton woman died doesn't weaken their homicide investigation.

The medical examiner could only rule the 29-year-old's death was a result of "homicidal violence'' because her remains were so badly decomposed. Investigators had to use dental records to identify her.

"It presents a whole different scenario for the medical examiner,'' said Edmonton police spokesman Dean Parthenis.

"We do have a cause of death. The M.E. has determined it's homicidal violence, just not a pinpoint.''

EDITED BY DP DUE TO COPYRIGHT VIOLATION
'
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1122237015831_91/?hub=Canada

mysteriew said:
The medical examiner could only rule the 29-year-old's death was a result of "homicidal violence'' because her remains were so badly decomposed. Investigators had to use dental records to identify her.
I am really confused on the level of decomposition.. it was only a few days - less than a week (I think) how can she be is such poor condition?

Casshew said:
I am really confused on the level of decomposition.. it was only a few days - less than a week (I think) how can she be is such poor condition?

That's exactly what I was wondering too?:waitasec:

And yet her body still shows signs of a struggle.

Liana's funeral is scheduled for the 26th. Isn't that the same day as Michael's next court hearing?

Thanks to all for the continued updates. And I agree Cass -- that was a very pretty photo of Liana in her obituary.

Michael White is to appear in court on Tuesday the 26th. Liana's funeral is Wednesday the 27th.

We are in the peak of our summer, lots of bugs, field animals and there was rain and a couple of hot days during the time she was left in the field.

Jess said:
Michael White is to appear in court on Tuesday the 26th. Liana's funeral is Wednesday the 27th.
Thanks for clarifying.

We are in the peak of our summer, lots of bugs, field animals and there was rain and a couple of hot days during the time she was left in the field.
Yes, I suppose my body would show signs of a struggle too.

spygirl said:
Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I suppose my body would show signs of a struggle too.
Hi gang- good to see some new posts though I am aware nothing new has happened..I am sad to say her funeral is on my birthday-one more reason to hate it..

newtv said:
Hi gang- good to see some new posts though I am aware nothing new has happened..I am sad to say her funeral is on my birthday-one more reason to hate it..
Aw, that is a real bummer. Yikes! I'm sorry, Newt.

:(

I wonder if he strangled her which will burst the blood vessels in the whites of the eyes. There would also be a struggle. We will probably never know. If a knife is used aren't there usually nicks on bones? I guess it would depend where a person is stabbed though. Maybe we are better off not knowing.

Not knowing this guy it is hard to say whether he will plead or not. Mark Hacking was smart to plead guilty. There was so much evidence in Lori's murder. I agree that this guy's attorney is probably telling him to go with a jury. Wish we knew what evidence the LE has on him. I wonder what evidence was found at the scene. Maybe footprints or tire prints.

I wonder if she has his skin under her fingernails. That would probably be considered a sign of a struggle.

Well I hope Mike White has a real crappy day in Jail knowing his family & friends are gathering to pay honor to Liana and bury her with dignity.

:furious::behindbar:mad:

Accused Edmonton Man says he Didn't Kill his Wife

The Canadian Press

Tuesday July 26, 2005

An Edmonton man accused of murdering his pregnant wife says he is innocent and plans to plead not guilty to a charge of second-degree murder.
In an interview from his jail cell with radio station CHED on Monday, Michael White said being accused in the death of his wife, who was four months pregnant, has been a terrible experience.

He said he is not a violent man and is shocked that people think he might have committed the crime.

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=00616817-5cbc-4a23-b92f-9b2060710a6b
© The Calgary Herald 2005​

Doesn't anyone know what the evidence is that they have against him? I sure there must be some!

sandraladeda said:
Accused Edmonton Man says he Didn't Kill his Wife

The Canadian Press

Tuesday July 26, 2005

An Edmonton man accused of murdering his pregnant wife says he is innocent and plans to plead not guilty to a charge of second-degree murder.
In an interview from his jail cell with radio station CHED on Monday, Michael White said being accused in the death of his wife, who was four months pregnant, has been a terrible experience.

He said he is not a violent man and is shocked that people think he might have committed the crime.

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=00616817-5cbc-4a23-b92f-9b2060710a6b
© The Calgary Herald 2005​
OH GREAT-another Scott Peterson..what a loser..be a man and admit to it-stop putting everyone thru hell. I wonder if this makes the family doubt the police.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back