Deceased/Not Found Canada - Lyle, 78, & Marie McCann, 77, Alberta, 5 July 2010 #2 *T. Vader guilty*

If there was someone parked in front of them wouldn't they have to back up a bit and pull a hard right to get out? Too bad there isn't a better video view of this gas station. I think the movement is either the wind blowing onto the window screen or the poor quality video itself. Also the camera itself might not be that secure.

I agree with you as well Thyme. I am not sure if people think someone got into the RV and overtook Marie while Lyle was fueling or how they figure it happened? Besides, just a guess here, but I am guessing there are quite a few gas pumps at the Superstore all of which have video surveillance and if someone got into the RV I would think it would have been captured on one of those cameras, not to mention that the McCann's most likely weren't the only ones fueling up at that time. I would think LE could check Superstore's purchase times via receipts and purchases and also trace who else filled up with gas around that time to question to see if they did see something. If someone saw someone get in the RV in question, I would hope it would have been reported by now. I could be wrong, but I still tend to think it is somewhere towards Edson where the couple ran into trouble.

I used to drive standard transmission but as I got older, found it really bothered my back, because there are points where you basically have both feet off the floor. JMO, but even though Mr. McCann had been a long haul trucker, you would think that in his retirement years he would opt for the luxury of an automatic transmission in an RV.

I agree that the turn is exceptionally tight ... and faster than i would expect for someone just setting out on a leisurely tour.

I personally don't think that is something we can assume as to if he would opt for an automatic in retirement. My husband drives truck, and I am sure if he retires and buys an RV it would be standard as well, give him that "driving a big truck" feeling again!!

If there was someone parked in front of them wouldn't they have to back up a bit and pull a hard right to get out? Too bad there isn't a better video view of this gas station. I think the movement is either the wind blowing onto the window screen or the poor quality video itself. Also the camera itself might not be that secure.

Mr. McCann, having spent his life as a professional driver, and babying his RV (seems obvious by the sparkle of those tire rims), would not likely risk damaging his gear with such impatience. And isn't such impatience more the sign of a person in a hurry, rather than a man in his late 70s heading out for a leisurely trip? Why would a retired person on vacation be in such a hurry? And perhaps the next question is, what was seen on the other video cameras for the other gas pumps?

I'll go out on a limb here and say Mr. McCann was not an aggressive driver.

JULY 30,2010

GLENN COOK
As the search for a missing St. Albert couple enters its fourth week, RCMP are still optimistic they will be found, although it’s getting more and more difficult.

Sgt. Patrick Webb of RCMP K Division said that the search for Lyle and Marie McCann is ongoing and still moving in a positive direction.

“As time passes, it gets more and more difficult, but we are still hopeful we can find them,” Webb said. “It’s one of those things where we’re guessing on what happened and what we’re going to find, but very much, we’ve got a lot of resources working on this.”

The couple, who live on Gladstone Crescent, were last seen on Saturday, July 3, at the Superstore gas bar on St. Albert Trail. They were reported missing when they didn’t meet their daughter as planned in Abbotsford, B.C., a week later.

Webb said that, as of Wednesday, police had received 470 tips over the course of the investigation, dealing with the whereabouts of the McCanns, their SUV, which was recovered on Friday, July 16, and Travis Edward Vader, a person of interest in the case who was arrested on outstanding warrants unrelated to the McCann case on Monday, July 19.

“They’re coming in all the time,” Webb said. “The majority that are coming in now — now that we have [Vader] in custody — are dealing with anything people might have seen or the vehicles.”

Rumours started flying over the weekend that police had given up the search for the McCanns, but Webb said that’s simply not the case.

“When we’re talking a physical search for forensic evidence at a scene, those are finished; there’s only so much you can do at a scene. You finish it and you’re done,” he said. “But the search for the McCanns is still very much ongoing.”

Right now, he added, police have completed their searches of the scenes where the McCanns’ motorhome and SUV were found and where Vader was arrested, along with a campground near Nojack.

Vader remains in custody and has started making court appearances for some of the warrants he was arrested on, and remains a person of interest for the RCMP in the McCann case.

“[That] means we believe he has some information or some involvement in the McCann investigation. How that fits in has yet to be determined,” Webb said. “We’ve interviewed him at least once. … If they haven’t already, they will be going back to speak to him again.”

http://www.saintcitynews.com/articl...rt/rcmp-still-optimistic-couple-will-be-found

BBM

Thanks RubyRed. Is it the Petro-Can gas station? It seems different in the video.

Ah, it wouldn't be the first time LE has shown a video that was taken from a different location than stated. I don't suppose anyone from around Edson could tell us if it looks familiar?

Thinking back to another board about another case, where someone :innocent: pointed out that the scenery in the background didn't belong to the big box hardware store that LE had claimed. And then someone here at WS caught on.

I wonder whether the Mccann's would have had any medications with them that would have interested an addict, I am thinking benzos or opiates?

The old couple worry me so much, I so hoped for a happy ending

Or maybe someone hoped they did. I stumbled into an oxy robbery at the local pharmacy the other day.

It seems unlikely to me that Mr. McCann would be able to drive if he were taking those kinds of meds. I think the RV was taken for other purposes, possibly even for simple transportation. That kind of shock and stress would be hard on a young person, let alone someone who is elderly.

I personally don't think that is something we can assume as to if he would opt for an automatic in retirement. My husband drives truck, and I am sure if he retires and buys an RV it would be standard as well, give him that "driving a big truck" feeling again!!

I'm not assuming either way. I put it out there as an alternate possibility given we simply don't know.

I wonder whether the Mccann's would have had any medications with them that would have interested an addict, I am thinking benzos or opiates?

The old couple worry me so much, I so hoped for a happy ending

Mobile meth lab perhaps?? There are travelling meth labs being run out of the trunks of cars these days, and there has been the odd case where RVs have been used. A couple of years ago, there was one that exploded in a Walmart parking lot in the US.

Very curious to say the least:

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/Security+video+Lyle+McCann+released/3278636/story.html

People here seem to think the shiny hubcaps show reflections of people talking. There seem to be various editions of those videos. Do you think certain things were edited out?

I also wonder what Mr McCann is doing after he puts the nozzle into his RV gas tank, he walks past the pump...is he talking to someone or did something catch his interest????

From what I can tell through googling and going back through Thread 1, it seems the first surveillance video was released to the public July 15. In a press release July 16, LE announced Vader as a POI, and the SUV was found later that day. Hopefully TV showed up in some of the various surveillance videos, and that's why LE was able to announce him as a POI on the 16th before the SUV was located.

Thank you so much for this interesting post. I'm not noticing any rocking around in the RV in the video. The RV is definitely backing up about 4 feet. Is it possible that the RV has standard transmission? I do not know anything about RV's at all and would need your expert opinion on this. Mr. McCann was an expert driver and he would likely NOT back up his RV with a vehicle hitched on it. If the RV was standard, wouldn't it roll back a bit, and especially roll back more if an inexperienced driver tried to drive it? Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/user/CTVnewsEdmonton#p/u/3/XuuGkD7kXqU

The more I look at the video, I don't think he is backing up, he is letting it roll, if it's a standard, that's the only way that makes sense, and then it snaps into gear. It's either/or, it's a standard and it rolls back and snaps into gear, or he backs up 4 feet for no reason whatsoever, but the transition from backward to forward is more of a snap, if he was backing up, he would have to back up/stop/put into forward, and that doesn't happen. Also, whoever is driving pulls right out and carves it right. Someone driving a big rig would not cut that much of an angle, I don't think, especially while towing another vehicle. JMO

Virtually all motorhomes I know of, (I have owned 4 and my family owns 3 others) all have automatic transmissions. I don't know of a single brand that has an option to order a standard (manual) tranny. Especially diesel motorhomes.

The McCanns motorhome is a 1999 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager and it has a 275hp ISB Cummins Diesel Engine and an Allison automatic electronic transmission.

We have the same tranny in our motorhome too and it has a push button pad on the drivers side arm rest, and has to go right in R or D by pressing a button and the motorhome will only go in the direction of the gear selected, no rolling.

Also, any seasoned RVer (and truckdriver) would not swing away from the pumps too sharply as the back end swings in the opposite direction and could knock off a pump, pole or trash barrel. We take longer wider turns and are always careful of where our back end is in addition to where our front end is going.

I would think with all the years of driving experience of trucks and their motorhome, Mr. McCann would be very aware of this and drive accordingly.

I would think someone would be questioning this at the RCMP end of the investigation? I wonder if he was even driving the rig as it left the gas station?

Virtually all motorhomes I know of, (I have owned 4 and my family owns 3 others) all have automatic transmissions. I don't know of a single brand that has an option to order a standard (manual) tranny. Especially diesel motorhomes.

The McCanns motorhome is a 1999 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager and it has a 275hp ISB Cummins Diesel Engine and an Allison automatic electronic transmission.

We have the same tranny in our motorhome too and it has a push button pad on the drivers side arm rest, and has to go right in R or D by pressing a button and the motorhome will only go in the direction of the gear selected, no rolling.

Also, any seasoned RVer (and truckdriver) would not swing away from the pumps too sharply as the back end swings in the opposite direction and could knock off a pump, pole or trash barrel. We take longer wider turns and are always careful of where our back end is in addition to where our front end is going.

I would think with all the years of driving experience of trucks and their motorhome, Mr. McCann would be very aware of this and drive accordingly.

I would think someone would be questioning this at the RCMP end of the investigation? I wonder if he was even driving the rig as it left the gas station?

BBM. My guess is that he wasn't driving the RV when it left that station. My guess is that a POI was in the driver's seat, and that LE has it on video.

Mobile meth lab perhaps?? There are travelling meth labs being run out of the trunks of cars these days, and there has been the odd case where RVs have been used. A couple of years ago, there was one that exploded in a Walmart parking lot in the US.

Could be. I've always been wary of parking or walking near those RVs parked in Walmart parking lots. Happy campers? I think not, but that's because there's TMI on that "People of Walmart" site. Of course, I've also seen dial-a-dopers doing deals in the parking lot of the S-grocery chain. Some urbanites sure aren't buying a litre of milk at the store.

You are right Thyme, the camera is not that secure, and it shakes a bit with the wind.
The camera is mounted on the ceiling structure, and while looking at the video, if you focus on the top left hand corner, the yellow sign also moves.

Here is the Google street view of the Superstore Gas Station. I tried to find the pumps that Mr. McCann used.

Click here to view the Superstore Gas Station. Image takes a while to load completely:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?layer=c&cbll=53.540378,-113.616914&cbp=12,260.36,,2,1.91&cid=11639033609058433515&q=St.+Albert+Superstore+Gas+Bar&ved=0CEQQ2wU&ei=0WFTTOyGNqTwMPuVuFo&ie=UTF8&hq=St.+Albert+Superstore+Gas+Bar&hnear=&ll=53.540244,-113.616915&spn=0.006146,0.013776&t=h&z=16&panoid=ipYVl4nCkEleITIJOFQ93A

PS: Yay, the link works just fine, though I'm not 100% sure that is the same pump Mr.McCann used, only because I cannot see the yellow sign.
Question for the RVers here: would the McCanns RV use Diesel? There is a Diesel sign really close to those pumps.

You are right Thyme, the camera is not that secure, and it shakes a bit with the wind.
The camera is mounted on the ceiling structure, and while looking at the video, if you focus on the top left hand corner, the yellow sign also moves.

Here is the Google street view of the Superstore Gas Station. I tried to find the pumps that Mr. McCann used.

Click here to view the Superstore Gas Station. Image takes a while to load completely:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?layer=c&cbll=53.540378,-113.616914&cbp=12,260.36,,2,1.91&cid=11639033609058433515&q=St.+Albert+Superstore+Gas+Bar&ved=0CEQQ2wU&ei=0WFTTOyGNqTwMPuVuFo&ie=UTF8&hq=St.+Albert+Superstore+Gas+Bar&hnear=&ll=53.540244,-113.616915&spn=0.006146,0.013776&t=h&z=16&panoid=ipYVl4nCkEleITIJOFQ93A

PS: Yay, the link works just fine, though I'm not 100% sure that is the same pump Mr.McCann used, only because I cannot see the yellow sign.
Question for the RVers here: would the McCanns RV use Diesel? There is a Diesel sign really close to those pumps.

According to the sign, the gas bar underwent renovations after Google visited. It's on a busy road, but judging by the number of people with cell phones glued to their ears, I doubt anyone looks too closely. Maybe security cams should be replaced with Google Streets cams. I can see everything in the cab of one vehicle.

I thought the gas station was on St. Albert Trail ? The one on your map is 171 Street Northwest, Edmonton, AB .

I thought the gas station was on St. Albert Trail ? The one on your map is 171 Street Northwest, Edmonton, AB .

The one at 101 St. Albert Trail does not come into focus for me. Are you able to get a clear satellite image?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back