Found Deceased Canada - Mariam Makhniashvili, 17, Toronto, 14 Sept 2009 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a storage space I would like searched in relation to Mariam one in an apt. Would dogs still be able to hit on something from that long ago I am thinking maybe given it is a small confined space. The next problem would be could you get police to do it probably not. They seem to have washed their hands of Mariam. Near Shallmar not her apt.

Regarding it possibly being a staged murder:

Her remains were consistent with falling from a height and being alive at the time of the fall.

“Staff Insp. Greg McLane, of the Toronto police homicide squad, said at the news conference that autopsy results suggest Mariam was alive at the time she fell from the overpass.

"The findings are not consistent with a homicide or a suspicious death," McLane said, stopping short of calling her death a suicide. "I'm not suggesting that she took her own life but the post-mortem results could be consistent with that conclusion."
Mariam's death consistent with fall from significant height

Where she landed, how far from the upper railing where she fell, is a matter of a physics calculation, as course as that unfortunately sounds.

Regarding it possibly being a staged murder:

Her remains were consistent with falling from a height and being alive at the time of the fall.

“Staff Insp. Greg McLane, of the Toronto police homicide squad, said at the news conference that autopsy results suggest Mariam was alive at the time she fell from the overpass.

"The findings are not consistent with a homicide or a suspicious death," McLane said, stopping short of calling her death a suicide. "I'm not suggesting that she took her own life but the post-mortem results could be consistent with that conclusion."
Mariam's death consistent with fall from significant height

Where she landed, how far from the upper railing where she fell, is a matter of a physics calculation, as course as that unfortunately sounds.

Not sure what your own point of view is here? There is an obvious contradiction in the words of the officer. Can you or someone help: as far as I know there were only skeletal remains. How do they know she was alive when she fell and for that matter can they then tell us whether she was alive after she fell? Why are they separating out homicide or suspicious death here? I thought the category of suspicious death preceded and prompted an investigation of whether a death was natural or not.

Why did they close the highway after her death. Not to get the video obviously. I have always assumed they did some type of test to see if she could fall and land where she did. From what I saw of the scene it may have been too far from the bridge. They certainly did not discuss why they closed the bridge other than to mention video which of course had been taped over - they did not need to close the bridge to get that.

Why are they not suggesting she took her own life? What other possibilities are there? Hit by a car and tossed over the bridge? Surely not likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other possibility is that she accidentally fell. As I understand it there is a paved path that winds up a hill to the point it's believed she fell from and it has a nice view of the skyline and the golf course.

I've always personally been of the opinion that she just was in an odd mood and impulsively decided to skip out on her classes that day for a long walk on which she lost her backpack and eventually found her way to her end.

We can never know what's in another person's mind and doubly so for people from other cultures, maybe triply when odd behavior seems to run in her family. Maybe she was just detached from the possible danger. Maybe she felt like tempting fate and fate took the bait.

Not sure what your own point of view is here? There is an obvious contradiction in the words of the officer. Can you or someone help: as far as I know there were only skeletal remains. How do they know she was alive when she fell and for that matter can they then tell us whether she was alive after she fell? Why are they separating out homicide or suspicious death here? I thought the category of suspicious death preceded and prompted an investigation of whether a death was natural or not.

Why did they close the highway after her death. Not to get the video obviously. I have always assumed they did some type of test to see if she could fall and land where she did. From what I saw of the scene it may have been too far from the bridge. They certainly did not discuss why they closed the bridge other than to mention video which of course had been taped over - they did not need to close the bridge to get that.

Why are they not suggesting she took her own life? What other possibilities are there? Hit by a car and tossed over the bridge? Surely not likely.

The article and quote I posted, IMO, is clear. It’s a death that appears to be a suicide, not a homicide, or natural death.

As a member of the public, you wouldn’t know exactly where the remains were found.
If you’re family, you could request access to that information if you do not already have it. (From my experience.)

Without knowing exactly where she landed the basic physics calculation, available online, may not be of much use to you (or us) in calculating where she would likely land based on the factors we know (the height of the overpass etc.)

More information: An Assessment of the Skeletal Fracture Patterns Resulting from Fatal High (˃3 m) Free Falls:
https://researchmgt.monash.edu/ws/portalfiles/portal/277371071/272192021_oa.pdf

More information about how they determine whether a person was alive or deceased from an apparent fall, by examining their skeletal remains, is also available online. (Similar to the type of document I posted above.)

There was construction on the overpass when she disappeared, iirc.

Taping off an area where remains are found and police are present is to be expected.

eta: typos

eta2: I don’t know where her father is at this point, but he attacked and seriously wounded people, and was diagnosed as having mental health challenges, especially related to this topic. No judgment, but I think it’s worth mentioning.

This is why I think facts really matter in this case versus speculation. The family by rights has access to information they need. The police have been as clear as they can be, with respect to the family’s privacy.

Last edited:
This thread is closed to further discussion.

If new MSM or info from LE is presented in Mariam's case, notify Mods and the discussion can be reopened if it is warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member