GUILTY Canada - Rejeanne Pelletier-Charette, 82, Sherbrooke QC, 13 Aug 2010

Condolences to Rejeanne's family and friends - 82 years young and in good physical shape - hope you put some good marks and scuffings on the little snot that did this to you.

Rest in peace Rejeanne and may justice be swift and severe.

eleph

I'm a reporter who works for an English paper in the area this story is happening. Just to let you know, Val du Lac is not an area in this case, its the name of the youth center the teen was held at.

Welcome to Websleuths RedCanadian. Thank you for that clarification.

I did not expect to sign in here today and read this update; I am so saddened by this news :cry: and wish there had been a different outcome.

My prayers are with Rejeanne's family

:rose: R.I.P. Rejeanne :rose:

Suspect is not one of dozen teens serving sentence or awaiting sentencing at centre

The Gazette August 18, 2010
The 16-year-old boy who was charged in connection with the disappearance of an elderly Sherbrooke woman yesterday was not living in one of the secure areas of the youth rehabilitation centre he ran away from last week, the centre's director said.
The teen was brought in for questioning Monday night because a boy about his age was seen going door to door, asking for help and to use residents' phones, police said.

The boy is a resident at the Centre de readaptation de Val du lac, about five kilometres from Pelletier-Charette's house. The facility has 90 residents, and the teen was one of 72 staying there for his own protection -as called for by Quebec's youth protection law -because of his home situation, director Bruno Maranda explained. He would not go into detail about the boy's background, as is standard with minors.
Maranda said the boy was not one of 12 who are awaiting sentencing or serving a sentence, who live in a separate, prison-like part of the centre.
RSBM
full article: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Suspect+dozen+teens+serving+sentence+awaiting+sentencing+centre/3411511/story.html

Thanks for the welcome and your welcome for the clarification.

If anyone is following this case there have been a few developments, among them are that the teen involved is being held at the center he originally escaped from. Before the event, he was really not under any kind of security measures since he was there due to situations in his home life for his own protection, at least from what I understand. The center now has him under the highest security level they possess. However since it is a youth center and we have legal measures protecting youth, very few details are being elaborated on.

This case has been very difficult on many people here on various levels. Getting information has been the most tedious and frustrating factor. The investigators of course need to be cautions to not botch the future trial but as a local, people don't feel as if they've been kept in the loop. I'm sure its this way in general when it comes to such events but in this area its been quite a long time since we've had an obvious instance of murder, actually we had one the week before as well. Prior to that nothing as high profile in a very long time. Our relatively low crime rate is something we pride ourselves on.

If anyone is following this case there have been a few developments, among them are that the teen involved is being held at the center he originally escaped from. Before the event, he was really not under any kind of security measures since he was there due to situations in his home life for his own protection, at least from what I understand. The center now has him under the highest security level they possess. However since it is a youth center and we have legal measures protecting youth, very few details are being elaborated on.

This case has been very difficult on many people here on various levels. Getting information has been the most tedious and frustrating factor. The investigators of course need to be cautions to not botch the future trial but as a local, people don't feel as if they've been kept in the loop. I'm sure its this way in general when it comes to such events but in this area its been quite a long time since we've had an obvious instance of murder, actually we had one the week before as well. Prior to that nothing as high profile in a very long time. Our relatively low crime rate is something we pride ourselves on.

Hi and welcome RedCanadian,

There is a thread for this case in the Missing/Located Discussion Forum

here is the link: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111987&page=3

Perhaps you could repost your posts over there?

These 2 posts are from the Information/Support thread:

Val du Lac
I'm a reporter who works for an English paper in the area this story is happening. Just to let you know, Val du Lac is not an area in this case, its the name of the youth center the teen was held at.

Welcome

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111986

My prayers and condolences to the family. RIP Rejeanne.

I wonder what the heck was going on in that kid's life. I came across a french news video and he was cowering in the back seat of a police cruiser, trying to hide from the cameras. A 16 year old alone, without his parents or any signs of family support.

Why was he at the youth home? One article mentioned that he was staying in a section that was for kids who were not safe at home. Why was he knocking on doors saying he was in trouble? And, IF, he was responsible for Rejeanne's horrible death, what drove him to do something so horrific?

Sherbrooke doesn't stike me as gang-land drug central and he apparently acted alone, so it was not a peer pressure group-think crime. This is just such a surprising crime for a small city like that.

Here is the link to the video.
http://tva.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/player/player_preroll.pl?titre=Informations%20CHLT&emission=chlt&video=http%3A//medias.tva.ca/stations/chlt/nouvelle/140216.wmv&reseau=TVA&sectionlevel=&sectionvaleur=http%3A//medias.tva.ca/stations/chlt/nouvelle/140216.wmv

It also shows how private Rejeanne's house was from the street.

OMG :(
Witness saw 82-year-old woman struggle
The Gazette August 21, 2010

SHERBROOKE, QC- A witness has come forward saying she saw and heard 82-year-old Rejeanne Pelletier-Charette call for help from her car last Friday, four days before the elderly woman was found dead near her Sherbrooke home.

Isabelle Dorais reported on LCN that the witness, who was not named, told her she saw Pelletier-Charette in her car on Aug. 13, sitting on the passenger side and calling for help.

The witness said she did not contact police at the time but wishes she had.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Witness+year+woman+struggle/3426479/story.html#ixzz0xLVXgvFb

I don't understand why people don't become involved. :banghead::banghead:

OMG :(
Witness saw 82-year-old woman struggle
The Gazette August 21, 2010

SHERBROOKE, QC- A witness has come forward saying she saw and heard 82-year-old Rejeanne Pelletier-Charette call for help from her car last Friday, four days before the elderly woman was found dead near her Sherbrooke home.

Isabelle Dorais reported on LCN that the witness, who was not named, told her she saw Pelletier-Charette in her car on Aug. 13, sitting on the passenger side and calling for help.

The witness said she did not contact police at the time but wishes she had.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Witness+year+woman+struggle/3426479/story.html#ixzz0xLVXgvFb

Well, I hope they can't sleep at night knowing they could have done something. WTH is wrong with people that they can't even call 911.

3411509.bin

Rejeanne Pelletier-Charette lived alone in a small house on the shore of the Magog River. Neighbours said the 82-year-old was in better shape than most people in their 30s and was as sharp as a tack.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Witness+year+woman+struggle/3426479/story.html#ixzz0xNh1odYV

Rene Audet, then 16, was confirmed to be the killer. From October 2013 (and poorly translated):

http://www.lapresse.ca/la-tribune/f...letier-charette-la-sentence-ne-change-pas.php

Sentenced to seven years of custody in the Youth Division earlier this week for the murder of the wife of 82 years , the young man of 19 years has seen the Érick Vanchestein judge of the Court of Québec add Thursday a three years probation for violent gestures on three stakeholders Estrie youth center.

Avoiding prison in his adult sentence, the young man keeps the penalty seven years imposed under the Act on the criminal justice system for adolescents (YCJA) for second degree murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back