GUILTY Canada - Remains of 6 infants found, Andrea Giesbrecht charged, Winnipeg, Oct 2014

The trial resumed today. Andrea Giesbrechts son testified as well as another storage locker staff member.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Andrea Giesbrecht trial: Husband says wife wore 'boring' clothing
Husband was the last witness to finish testifying ahead of closing arguments Friday

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/andrea-giesbrecht-trial-aug31-1.3742725

The husband of Andrea Giesbrecht, the Winnipeg woman accused of concealing the remains of six infants in a storage locker, testifies that his wife dressed in "boring" clothes.

Jeremy Giesbrecht testified in court Wednesday that he recalled "even the night I met her she was wearing a boring sweater."

Guilty on all 6 counts. Good news of course. But max penalty is 2 year per count, for giving birth and killing 6 infants. My heart breaks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't time to read all of the judges decision. However what I did read broke my heart. Those little ones never had a chance. They were killed and tossed aside like trash. They deserve a proper burial.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

​The trial heard Giesbrecht had 10 therapeutic abortions between 1994 and 2011. An obstetrics and gynecology expert testified Giesbrecht was pregnant at least 18 times between the ages of 20 and 38.

I haven't followed this case very carefully, but according to the article, she was married. Surely their must have been some discussion regarding her husband. Did he get off without charges? Did he have no idea what was going on?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/andrea-giesbrecht-ruling-1.3965823?cmp=rss

​The trial heard Giesbrecht had 10 therapeutic abortions between 1994 and 2011. An obstetrics and gynecology expert testified Giesbrecht was pregnant at least 18 times between the ages of 20 and 38.

I haven't followed this case very carefully, but according to the article, she was married. Surely their must have been some discussion regarding her husband. Did he get off without charges? Did he have no idea what was going on?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/andrea-giesbrecht-ruling-1.3965823?cmp=rss
Birth control, people. Geez. That's ridiculous.

I mean, of course I recognize there was a lot of awful dysfunction going on that birth control wouldn't have impacted, but a pregnancy every year for 18 years? My word.

I just don't see why it isn't murder.
Think about it.
She gives birth, does something, baby dies.
A year later, give or take, knowing what happened with the last birth, she does the same thing, again, another dead baby.
A year later, give or take, knowing what happened with the last two births....and so on, and so on.
How is this not murder??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Full judgement in the case of Andrea Giesbrecht

[video=youtube;WsgB4rf42Q0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsgB4rf42Q0[/video]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sentencing for Andrea Giesbrecht, who disposed of babies in storage locker, to be live streamed

"A judge has given the OK for media to live stream the sentencing hearing for Andrea Giesbrecht, who disposed of the remains of six infants in a U-Haul storage locker.

The 42-year-old Winnipeg woman was found guilty in February on six charges of disposing of the body of a dead child with intent to conceal the delivery...

The sentencing hearing is set for July 7. It is expected that submissions will take place that day and then court will reconvene for the judge's decision on another date..."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/andrea-giesbrech-sentencing-live-stream-1.4077506
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know what happened at the July 7th sentencing??

TIA!

Ah - from you link above ^^

Provincial court Judge Murray Thompson reserved his decision. He's expected to deliver it on July 14.

Today! Will be back later than....

Just an FYI:

an article from July 14th:

Andrea Giesbrecht gets 8 1/2 years for concealing remains of 6 infants
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/judge-rejects-andrea-giesbrecht-delay-motion-1.4204123

Judge says police were unable to determine whether deaths occurred before or after birth....
Andrea Giesbrecht has been sentenced to 8½ years in prison for concealing the remains of six infants in a storage locker in Winnipeg.
With time already served factored in, Giesbrecht will spend another seven years and 10 months in prison.
"Giesbrecht's moral culpability is extremely high," Judge Murray Thompson said at Friday's sentencing hearing.
[.....]
"She bagged each of the bodies, sealed them or encased them in cement or powder, all in an effort to contain the smell of human decomposition and decay," said Thompson (Judge).
[.....]
Thompson said each of the six infants represented six separate offences and Giesbrecht's moral culpability increased after the first offence. He sentenced her to six months for the first infant, one year for the second, and two years for each of the four other infants found, for a total of 9½ years.
A sentence of that length would be "crushing" to Giesbrecht, Thompson said. He therefore reduced the sentence by one year, minus time served.
​Sentencing arguments were presented earlier this month. The Crown sought an 11-year sentence for Giesbrecht, while Brodsky requested she be spared any further jail time beyond the 168 days spent on remand between the day she was arrested and being granted bail.

more at link....

:judge:

April 2019:

A woman convicted of hiding the remains of six babies in a U-haul storage locker has had her prison term reduced to three years.

Andrea Giesbrecht was sentenced last year to 8 1/2 years on charges of concealing the remains of infants.

In a lengthy written decision from the Manitoba Court of Appeals released Wednesday, Justice Christopher Mainella called the case deeply disturbing.

"We will never know why these six little lights went dark due to the accused's appalling dishonesty," Mainella wrote.

However, the judge said last year's sentence was too harsh because it assumed certain culpable actions of which Giesbrecht was never tried or convicted, such as violence or neglect.

"Just as the mighty are not above the law, the unpopular are not outside of its protections, even on facts as troubling as here."

Court reduces sentence for Winnipeg woman guilty of hiding infant remains

May 2019:

The Manitoba Court of Appeals said the sentence was too harsh in April and reduced it to three years.

She was released soon after because she had served two-thirds of the reduced sentence and was eligible for statutory release.

Initial conditions she faced included reporting to her parole officer, but in a decision earlier this month the Parole Board of Canada added 10 more.

Giesbrecht must report all sexual and non-sexual relationships to her parole supervisor and must also say if she thinks she’s pregnant.

“This is to monitor whether or not you become pregnant at any time, inside or outside your marriage, as you are documented as not being on birth control and you still have the ability to get pregnant,” the decision said.

Other added conditions say she cannot be around children under the age of 16 and must get psychological counselling.

If Giesbrecht doesn’t meet the conditions, she will be sent back to prison. Her full sentence ends in November.

Added release conditions for Winnipeg woman guilty of hiding infant remains | The Star

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back