Jacket
Nylon, Dark Blue, Windbreaker
Scar
Forehead, Right temple hairline

June 6 2019
VIDEO.
After 75 years, family still looks for missing boy
"After 75 years, family still looks for missing boy
The little boy at the centre of Toronto’s oldest cold case disappeared from an Etobicoke street 75 years ago. Pam Seatle with how police have reopened the missing persons case, and the message Richard Marlow’s family has for Torontonians today."

May 25 2020 rbbm.
Toronto Police Service :: News Release #47187
''Missing Persons Unit
416-808-7411
The Toronto Police Service is recognizing Missing Children’s Day by asking for the public’s assistance with an investigation into the historical disappearance of a 9-year-old boy.

On July 18, 1944, Richard Marlow was riding his bicycle on Beta Street, in south Etobicoke, when he went missing.

A significant search was undertaken and several tips and sightings were investigated.
The case has never been solved and the Service’s Missing Persons Unit has collected and submitted investigative details to the National Centre for Missing Persons Unidentified Remains.

At the time, Richard (who also went by the name PeeWee) was 3’8”, 50 lbs, with blond hair, blue eyes, and a scar on his right temple by the hairline. He was wearing a dark-blue windbreaker, long blue pants, a striped jersey, and gray cotton stockings with a yellow band around the top. He wore an aluminium ring with the initials K.L. on his hand. His bicycle was left behind.

Richard had a mother, father, and five siblings. Before his last surviving sibling passed away in August 2019, the Toronto Police Service was able to gather a DNA sample for submission to the National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains.

The Service recognizes that it may be difficult to spark memories of this time 75 years ago. To assist with this process, investigators are asking those who have elderly family or friends from this area to share this video. It has been created in a unique way, to assist those who are elderly or experiencing memory loss.

Like with all cases of missing children, someone must know something. The Toronto Police Service is asking anyone who has any information about Richard’s disappearance – or any other missing child – to please contact investigators at 416-808-7411.

No detail is too small or insignificant.

If you would like to remain anonymous, please contact Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.

To review other cases, please visit MissingKids.ca. This website – owned and operated by the Canadian Centre for Child Protection – offers information on missing children from across Canada as well as resources for family members.''

Only one newspaper article about him in the Newspaper Archives and that was four years later.

"It was a Tuesday evening, July 18, 1944, on Beta St. Most of the family went to a picture — it could have been Bing Crosby in Going My Way, or maybe Gary Cooper in The Story of Dr. Wassell.
Richard had been the night before, so he stayed home with his brother. His father, John, was in the military and stationed out of town. His two oldest brothers were fighting in Belgium, as Allied soldiers inched across the country ousting Hitler’s forces.
In the little blue hat he always wore perched, peak up, on the back of his head, Richard was in front of the house riding his older sister’s bicycle. Brother Gerald (age 15) was just inside, keeping an eye on him.
And then he was gone.
The bicycle was left in the yard.
There was a search. Police scoured the neighbourhood, an army militia was called in. They drained ponds, dredged creeks, checked down wells and outhouses. They looked for days and days and days.
“There was never any evidence found,” said Gayle Dykeman, whose mother, Aileen Lubbock, Richard’s only sister, was 18 at the time."

Richard Marlow vanished 70 years ago. His heartbroken family is still searching.

Attachments

• marlow2.jpg
    marlow2.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 11
  • marlow.jpg
    marlow.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
a273886d9bdfcd8c9c112af814a11da2.jpg

Richard David Marlow:
Missing since 1944 from Toronto, Canada

Is it possible this child, who would be 80 years old now, could still be alive? Also why hasn't there been an age progression done of Richard? I realize he's 80 but you never know...

Last edited:
I only heard about this case yesterday. And what is interesting Richard used to live just some 20 km/13 miles from the place I live.

Every time I look at his picture, I feel somehow sad. He looks like real darling - so serious and handsome little fella.

Unfortunately, I don't think that he is alive, or that he lived much longer since he was reported missing. As someone pointed out, he was at the time of disappearance 9 year old - old enough to know who he was and to remember his family. Unless, as it is said in some articles, somebody thought that due to his stature (considered on short side for 9 year old) he is younger (5 or 6). But if he was abducted and the abductor(s) figured out that he was older, maybe they wanted to get rid of him.

He was shy, timid boy who wouldn't go with strangers. I am just wondering if maybe somebody who he knew was involved (at least to some extent)? His bike was found in the yard. I find it hard to believe that somebody would risk to abduct him with people around (his brother said that he took of his eyes from Richard for less than minute)...

This is a truly saddening case that I’ve read up on a lot and read many articles, in which some have odd bits and pieces information. As like any case all we can do as uninvolved people is spectate. Things tend to unfold slow most times, and many details are given or figured out when it’s sadly too late or just never at all. And of course we know the first couple of days are the most important when it comes to missing persons. This case always pulls on my heartstrings more than most.

This is merely my thinking out loud and speculating. When Richards mother arrived home that day, Richards older brother Gerald was asleep. Not uncommon for a sibling to keep an eye on a younger sibling but… not really, I’m sure he had many times and all was always fine. July of 1944, Richard was said to last be seen by his mother walking up Beta Rd after going to the store for soda and had went to his friends house after that, not on his sisters bike riding around on Beta St like some other sources say. But it’s also mentioned in a separate article that he was last seen by his sister Eileen on the front porch. Not sure which one is most accurate as it’s not specified what individual saw him riding his bike around, but my guess would be his brother. Although it’s more clearly specified closer to the time he went missing when his mother and Eileen saw him last. It’s also a plausible thought that Richard’s brother Gerald, feeling terrible and scared, said Richard was riding around on his sisters bike then disappeared.

It would be nice to have a closer look at the family dynamics and how they got along to paint a better picture, I imagine the siblings felt awful. These type of things can happen in a matter of seconds which is so scary! Apparently they also had some clues leading to suspects at one point, which sadly led no where and no one knew who they were even suspecting.

I wish it had been better investigated, but I know the means to do so back than were much different than they are now. It’s just so unfathomable how someone can just vanish, never to be seen again. And theres much bits and pieces of information given in articles that is not always clear.

This case definitely never got as much attention as it deserved. I hope one day closure and justice can be given for this sweet little boy. :(

Thanks all for reading, new here and looking forward to more true crime discussions :)

This is a truly saddening case that I’ve read up on a lot and read many articles, in which some have odd bits and pieces information. As like any case all we can do as uninvolved people is spectate. Things tend to unfold slow most times, and many details are given or figured out when it’s sadly too late or just never at all. And of course we know the first couple of days are the most important when it comes to missing persons. This case always pulls on my heartstrings more than most.

This is merely my thinking out loud and speculating. When Richards mother arrived home that day, Richards older brother Gerald was asleep. Not uncommon for a sibling to keep an eye on a younger sibling but… not really, I’m sure he had many times and all was always fine. July of 1944, Richard was said to last be seen by his mother walking up Beta Rd after going to the store for soda and had went to his friends house after that, not on his sisters bike riding around on Beta St like some other sources say. But it’s also mentioned in a separate article that he was last seen by his sister Eileen on the front porch. Not sure which one is most accurate as it’s not specified what individual saw him riding his bike around, but my guess would be his brother. Although it’s more clearly specified closer to the time he went missing when his mother and Eileen saw him last. It’s also a plausible thought that Richard’s brother Gerald, feeling terrible and scared, said Richard was riding around on his sisters bike then disappeared.

It would be nice to have a closer look at the family dynamics and how they got along to paint a better picture, I imagine the siblings felt awful. These type of things can happen in a matter of seconds which is so scary! Apparently they also had some clues leading to suspects at one point, which sadly led no where and no one knew who they were even suspecting.

I wish it had been better investigated, but I know the means to do so back than were much different than they are now. It’s just so unfathomable how someone can just vanish, never to be seen again. And theres much bits and pieces of information given in articles that is not always clear.

This case definitely never got as much attention as it deserved. I hope one day closure and justice can be given for this sweet little boy. :(

Thanks all for reading, new here and looking forward to more true crime discussions :)
Welcome to Ws @S0phi3, thanks for chiming in and giving this case a little 'bump'!

Since the area is described as being very rural I find it harder to imagine this was a random abduction by a stranger rather than someone familiar with the family. (Even though most child abductions are actually spur of the moment chance encounters by strangers).
Is it known of any military personnel were stationed close by?

Sorry I was a little busy there!

Another point I wanted to mention in Richard’s father’s obituary, Richard is not mentioned. I understand this maybe because he’s assumes deceased, but many obituaries mention both alive and deceased loved ones. Just found it strange, although I’m sure there are many logical reasons as to why he is not mentioned I can’t help but wonder.

From what I understand, most child abduction are by someone familiar. But I can’t say for certain if it was the same in the 40s as there was a period of time where many mindless sickos were on the loose. But given how shy they claim the boy to be, my guess is it was someone he was somewhat familiar with. I would hate to assume family, so I’ll go with familiar.

His sister said Richard was sitting on the porch at around 9-9:30pm last she saw him and his brother Gerald was asleep when their mother arrived home. Doesn’t sound like a whole lot of concern but who really knows.

@Ciriii57 As for military personnel, may I ask why you mention this? I’ll have a look! I do know a few houses down there seemed to be what looked like a rooming house of some sort but I’ll have to look further into that.

This ones definitely close to home for me.

Some articles :)

The ones about a boy found that apparently wasn’t Richard is rather interesting if you look into it. But heartbreaking the hopes it got up for John and Gertrude.

Attachments

• IMG_2258.jpeg
    IMG_2258.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2259.jpeg
    IMG_2259.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2260.jpeg
    IMG_2260.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2261.jpeg
    IMG_2261.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2262.jpeg
    IMG_2262.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2263.jpeg
    IMG_2263.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2264.jpeg
    IMG_2264.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2266.jpeg
    IMG_2266.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2267.jpeg
    IMG_2267.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 3
From what I understand, most child abduction are by someone familiar. But I can’t say for certain if it was the same in the 40s as there was a period of time where many mindless sickos were on the loose.
You are right, what I said before was a badly worded half-thought LOL
What I meant to say was that most child abductions are committed by someone familiar with the child HOWEVER most child abductions that are sexually motivated are spur of the moment random crimes. I hope that makes more sense.

As for military personnel, may I ask why you mention this? I’ll have a look! I do know a few houses down there seemed to be what looked like a rooming house of some sort but I’ll have to look further into that.
No particular reason; it's just that I read so many cases from the war years where a child disappears and there were soldiers stationed nearby. I am not at all sure what was happening in Canada at the time but it just seems to me that alot of men were called up and sent to an area where they were unknown and really nobody knows who these people were and how dangerous they might be and within a short time off they went again. Do you get me?

Thanks for sharing those articles! It's heartbreaking and the same time quite intriguing that there is another little boy with a very similar appearance being held captive in a house. How far away was this Smith household on the Etobicoke river in Summerville from the Marlow house in Etobicoke?

I do know a few houses down there seemed to be what looked like a rooming house of some sort but I’ll have to look further into that.
This coukd be very interesting and I would like to know more. Could it be a halfway house? Hotel? Is it possible that there were alot of strangers coming and going ? That may not bode well.

@Ciriii57 That definitely makes sense. Without a shred of evidence all anyone has ever been able to do is speculate. I will try to dig into what type of house that was on the street nearby, never even thought of a halfway house and such thanks!

There is an interesting story a few years after Richard vanished unsure if anyone heard of it, but it went cold pretty quick. About a young man named Gordon Kelly.

@Ciriii57 That definitely makes sense. Without a shred of evidence all anyone has ever been able to do is speculate. I will try to dig into what type of house that was on the street nearby, never even thought of a halfway house and such thanks!

There is an interesting story a few years after Richard vanished unsure if anyone heard of it, but it went cold pretty quick. About a young man named Gordon Kelly.
I havent heard of Gordon Kelly...but I'd like to haha ?

I havent heard of Gordon Kelly...but I'd like to haha ?
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back