Canada - Robert White for building dungeon in kidnap plot, Pickering, Ont, 2011

Pictures have been posted here and media articles mention window(s) in the "confinement room". It was noted that they were very strong and unbreakable.

My question is why have windows at all? Why take the risk that a passerby or nosy person could peer in and see a prisoner (or a grow-op)? If they were pre-existent to that part of the basement and later reinforced, why weren't they boarded up or otherwise covered in some way? If the builder wanted light for some reason, why not have removable or adjustable window coverings like blinds or heavy curtains for when he was absent?

If, as LE claims, the room was intended for illegal purposes, transparent windows make no sense to me.

JMO

attachment.php

I had wondered about the window and concluded that if someone was in fact held captive, a sadistic voyeur may want to watch the victim through the window, or avoid suspicion by not changing the exterior of the house in any way.On the other hand, after the fresh coat of paint and uh "renovations", were completed, perhaps the curtains were to go up last.

Has anyone found out if this guy got bail yet? It was supposed to be Tuesday of this week but i can't find out anything about it.

Here is the answer to my own question above.

On Tuesday justice of the peace John MacDonald began hearing evidence on a bail application, but the hearing was adjourned mid-afternoon at the request of defence lawyer Paul Affleck.

A publication ban covers evidence presented during the bail hearing. The hearing resumes next Wednesday in Oshawa

Hope they can keep him locked up we don't want him back in the neighborhood.

I had wondered about the window and concluded that if someone was in fact held captive, a sadistic voyeur may want to watch the victim through the window, or avoid suspicion by not changing the exterior of the house in any way.On the other hand, after the fresh coat of paint and uh "renovations", were completed, perhaps the curtains were to go up last.

Good thinking dotr, I hadn't thought of that. I think there's a chance also that those windows are tinted, I still feel they are there to let light in, perhaps for making videos. Did we find out if there was electricity running to the house? I'm pretty sure that isn't for a grow-op, in that case the windows would not be there. From what I've heard the lights for grow-ops are very bright and would be seen from outside.

Here is the answer to my own question above.

On Tuesday justice of the peace John MacDonald began hearing evidence on a bail application, but the hearing was adjourned mid-afternoon at the request of defence lawyer Paul Affleck.

A publication ban covers evidence presented during the bail hearing. The hearing resumes next Wednesday in Oshawa

Hope they can keep him locked up we don't want him back in the neighborhood.

I doubt he will get bail, they would need some pretty concrete evidence to charge someone with " intent" to commit a crime IMO. I certainly wouldn't want him in my neighborhood!

Oh wow! Thank god they found that dungeon before it was used. They may have stopped a serial killer in the making, or stopped someone from going through the kind of ordeal Natascha Kampusch and Shawn Hornbeck went through.

oh my goodness. I was bored and just came across this thread. The whole through reading it I was convinced it was for growing hydro cannabis...until the kidnapping charges. Would love to know what LE have found out. So glad this room was discovered and this guy caught. Seems like it was just the nick of time as well if he had already attempted to kidnap someone and had water in there. It would have taken a little while to put this together so good timing.

One thing though, wasnt it two guys who burnt it down??? were they maybe involved and trying to get rid of evidence or being vigilantes?

Also in the comments of the linked newspaper article above from 2 weeks ago, it is supposedly his 13 year old daughter who is commenting. She thought her dad built it for someone else. Her cousin comments as well and mentions her brother. The little girl has the white surname so he most likely is divorced or similar with a family and then has the girlfriend and her daughter.

As someone mentioned before this truly is nightmare stuff. When the story broke of the poor lady who was imprisoned by her father in I think Belgium and had his children, I could not stop thinking about that for months, so big relief this sicko was stopped.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/02/29/toronto-confinement-room.html

In a separate matter, CBC News has obtained court documents that say White's wife of 10 months left him the day police arrived at their Oshawa home with a search warrant. She filed for divorce a few days later on Jan. 30.

In her application she said she began experiencing "emotional and verbal abuse" last summer. The document also mentioned that she moved to a shelter for fear her husband might hurt her or her daughter.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/02/29/toronto-confinement-room.html

In a separate matter, CBC News has obtained court documents that say White's wife of 10 months left him the day police arrived at their Oshawa home with a search warrant. She filed for divorce a few days later on Jan. 30.

In her application she said she began experiencing "emotional and verbal abuse" last summer. The document also mentioned that she moved to a shelter for fear her husband might hurt her or her daughter.

Interesting. The earlier reports stated he was living with his girlfriend and her daughter. I need to check. Was he planning on kidnapping his wife/girlfriend? This is crazy.

Interesting. The earlier reports stated he was living with his girlfriend and her daughter. I need to check. Was he planning on kidnapping his wife/girlfriend? This is crazy.

Since they've been married only 10 months, I suspect that wife/girlfriend is one and the same. Someone in the media didn't check their facts, I presume. (What a surprise! ;)) ITA that she was likely the intended victim, but because of the publication ban, we can only assume that this is the case.

Crazy, indeed! I wonder if there will be a mental disorder defence attempted. Rarely used and even more rarely successful in this country, it could still be an option. Very scary stuff!

JMO

He was intending to kidnap an adult known to him, with criminal intent.

Robert Edwin White, 44, withdrew his application for bail Wednesday as police laid new charges against him, including attempted kidnapping and trespassing with criminal intent.

Due to a publication ban CBC News cannot say whom it was police believe White intended to kidnap.

"The room itself was intended to an adult known to the accused," Sgt. Nancy Van Rooy of the Durham regional police said.

He was intending to kidnap an adult known to him, with criminal intent.
----------
If this is the case, the perp. must have had an intense need for retribution/motivation for constructing this room. It would require a great deal of time and effort, not to mention, subterfuge from government officials inspecting the properties.

----------
If this is the case, the perp. must have had an intense need for retribution/motivation for constructing this room. It would require a great deal of time and effort, not to mention, subterfuge from government officials inspecting the properties.

Do we know his place of employment?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back