GUILTY Canada - Romeo Cormier for holding 54yo woman captive, Moncton, NB, 2010

I agree, which is it? Where was the husband from around 7:30pm through to midnight?

I have to admit my mind had been going to other places other than the 'abduction' theory and well prior to my posting of this thread.

Regarding the one report stating that he saw her car at the mall places him there at the mall and the closest to her/her car. Hmmm.

The second report states he fell asleep, awoke around midnight - and called his sister in search of his wife? Odd to call the sister at that time of night looking for his wife. Hmmm.

I take it Donna did not have a cell phone?

And ........ even more puzzling/disturbing:
His daughters call {I wonder what time that was?} and he tells them she must have gone into Head Office to work and for them to call back in the morning

Wouldn't it be more plausible that if he were actually under the assumption she was just running late or offered help at another H&R block location... that he would ask for his daughter(s) to call back in a half-hour or so......... not the morning!
.............................. unless he already knew Donna's was not returning that evening at all.

I read somewhere, that when it was a slow night, she would call 2 other offices to see if they needed her help. She did so that Friday night, and none of the 2 offices needed her, so she decided to leave a bit earlier. Her husband said in the video interview that she didn't have a fixed time to come home, and many times Donna would walk around the mall after work, so he was not worried, and in fact he said it never crossed his mind, something like this could ever happen to her. (all these is just my interpretation)

I would also like to know what did the husband do after the hockey game. Did he go straight to bed? Perhaps he snoozed in the couch? Most guys will watch a hockey game with a couple of beers, right? When he woke up at midnight, and noticed Donna was not home, he drove over to the mall, found her car there, and immediately called the RCMP. On that video, one of the daughters mentions they know someone from the RCMP (again this is just my interpretation of the events).

Funnygirl, anything is possible, and I trust the RCMP are looking at all angles of the story. What makes this case difficult to understand is "motive" It's not everyday that a 54 year old woman is abducted.

Did anyone else see that one of the places on the map bordering the parking lot were offices for the Correctional Service of Canada?

The Correctional Service of Canada (French: Service correctionnel du Canada), or CSC, is a Canadian government agency responsible for the incarceration and rehabilitation of convicted criminal offenders.

This is the part that bothers me:

"When he woke up at midnight, and noticed Donna was not home, he drove over to the mall, found her car there.."

As the family stated in the video, she loved to watch hockey and was looking forward to the olympic game...the family made it sound as though it would not be 'normal' for her not to return home within a reasonable time-frame after work.

the mall is closed at 9pm Friday evenings.

I'm uncomfortable with the 'sleeping' excuse, as it had been said in the family video that basically she was a creature of habit - she was never that late or made any other lengthy type of trips outside of her work hours before.

The husband tells the daughters via Skype that she may have gone to the other location of H&R block and to call back in the morning. Not "call back in an hour and a half" or something to that effect? Hockey games are lengthy so they would be up late watching it if Donna had been home! So why the 'call back in the morning' comment from their father? Like another poster stated .... the daughters had exciting news... rather deflating to be told to call back in the morning when wanting to share that kind of news with their mother as soon as possible!

The husband is at home .. made dinner for Donna ... she's a no-show for dinner ... he makes no call to the sister then? Was the dinner still on the stove or put away ? Were the dishes done?
The husband falls asleep on the couch. Could he have fallen asleep after realizing she wasn't coming home to eat dinner ....
And then.. awakes .. and drives to the mall to her car? Why would he drive there? What assumption or knowledge in him made him drive to the mall at Midnight or shortly thereafter - as the mall had closed that night at 9pm - why would he assume her & her car would still be at the mall 3+ hrs later than when she would be off of work?
Just doesn't add up!

It would take Donna approx. 13 minutes to walk from the mall to the Railway Station. Hope the police checked the surveillance cameras there to see if she purchased a cash ticket.

Here's the google map of the distance (walking) from that location to the Railway station:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=type:t...ation&geocode=CYmnVvZUEJkHFbgrvwIdsHEj_A&sa=X

The reason I bring this up is because in another forum, a poster commented that the video showing Donna leaving the inside entrances to go outside .. that she possibly turned right [which would be in the direction of the Railway Station] - not left - As her car was at the front-entrance mall parking lot - whereby she would have had to turn left outside of the doors.

Initially I didn't think of CSC office building as a concern...I'm not sure I've changed my mind either considering the details of the case thus far.

However, I do recall the case of Natasha Cournoyer from Montreal.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/10/06/quebec-laval-corrections-missing-woman.html

[snipped...]Quebec police have extended their search for a missing federal corrections employee after investigators picked up a signal from the woman's cellphone.

Natasha Cournoyer, 37, vanished last week from a dark parking lot across the street from her office at a Correctional Service of Canada building in Laval, north of Montreal.

The signal was detected Friday, police announced Tuesday.

Police aren't ruling out any scenario, including the possibility Cournoyer was abducted, a hypothesis her family and boyfriend firmly believe.

Police set up their command post at the parking lot, and focused their initial search on a wooded area near the building, in Place Laval.[...snipped]

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/11/06/montreal-cournoyer-murder.html

[snipped...]The victim did not know the suspect and there was no link between the crime and Cournoyer's work as a communications officer for the Correctional Service of Canada, said Montreal police.[...snipped]

Highfield Square Shopping Center
1100 Main St
Moncton, NB
(506) 857-4914

Open Mon-Wed,Sat 10am-6pm;
Thu-Fri 10am-9pm;
Sun 12pm-5pm

The mall is closed at 9:00pm on the Friday, February 26th when she disappeared.

Did Donna have permission/keys in which she could stay inside, continue to work, etc. when the mall officially closed it's doors for the night?

----> What time was it when Harold talked to their daughters?

----> Was that before, during or after the hockey game?

----> Did he fall asleep during the game or did he watch it till the end?

If I'm not wrong = Ottawa and Moncton are in different time zones = Moncton is 1 hour ahead of Ottawa

note: don't forget to set clocks ahead one hour this weekend

I agree, which is it?

And ........ even more puzzling/disturbing:
His daughters call {I wonder what time that was - in the family video daughter states they used Skype to contact their father?} and he tells them she must have gone into Head Office to work and for them to call back in the morning

snip bbm

Around 8:30, Streek and her sister, Amy Popovich, made a Skype call from Ottawa.

http://www2.macleans.ca/author/bronyuar/

There is a time difference

Ottawa / eastern
Moncton /,atlantic

So 8:30 Ottawa would be
9:30 Moncton ( IIRC someone correct me if I am wrong)

Ok so if I had cooked supper for someone & they weren't home by 9:30 when the anticipated hockey game started...I'm not sure I COULD fall asleep. I'd be pacing and chompin at the bit!

Just saying, if it were me....this is just me & my opinion.

Ok so if I had cooked supper for someone & they weren't home by 9:30 when the anticipated hockey game started...I'm not sure I COULD fall asleep. I'd be pacing and chompin at the bit!

Isn't Harold in Moncton, New Brunswick?
According to Time Table (above)
Hockey game started in New Brunswick at 10:30 pm Atlantic Standard Time (in blue)

Actual game started at 6:30 pm in Vancouver Pacific Standard time (in black)

In Ottawa (where the 2 daughters were) the game started at 9:30 pm Eastern Standard Time (in red)

If Donna didn't have a cellphone, wouldn't Harold be able to phone her at the Home Office? If game started at 10:30 pm, wouldn't he be worried by then? :waitasec:

Also, if he indeed drove to look for her, wouldn't it be more logical to go to the Home Office instead of the Mall?

"Around 8:30, Streek and her sister, Amy Popovich, made a Skype call from Ottawa."

Did the RCMP report (or media in that area) that the sisters called their father at 8:30pm ... then that would be Moncton time. If it's the sisters stating they called from Ottawa at 8:30 then it would be 9:30 in Moncton. Can anyone clarify?
I noted on the Facebook site someone had asked if it were a rumour that she had been found? No one else has posted anything yet.... could be just that .. a rumour. {FAMILY POSTED that this is in fact a rumour only - she has not been found}

Agreed!

We could be misinterpreting the time change though - It could have been 7:30 Ottawa time when they called via Skype and it would be 8:30 when Harold received that call from them. It just bothers me that even at that point, not unless he was aware that something nefarious had transpired, that he would tell them to call back in the morning. The mall would have still been open another half-hour and she could just be still at work.

Do we have a closer approximate as to the actual time on the clock where Donna is seen exiting the Mall?

It would take Harold approx. 16 min's give or take (it was a rainy night - but there wasn't a lot of traffic) to go from Home to the Mall.
280 Front Mountain Rd to 1100 Main Street - if he took the Gorge Rd and Route 15E way.

...(snipped)...Also, if he indeed drove to look for her, wouldn't it be more logical to go to the Home Office instead of the Mall?

1) If me or my husband were late coming home, we'd call first instead of jumping in our cars to go search. (I guess he could have called before going to look).

2) If she parked out front, why go out the back door? Unless, someone (friend/family member) said, "Hey, I'll pick you up at the back door and we'll go eat/watch the hockey game somewhere". When DH has picked me up at the mall, he has to go to a certain door b/c can't stop on the street and sit/wait, and security guards patrol the parking lot so can't stop/wait in most areas. If the person picking her up was up to no good, then that would be their excuse when the main reason could be less folks around, darker, etc.

Just something to think about.

Agreed!

We could be misinterpreting the time change though - It could have been 7:30 Ottawa time when they called via Skype and it would be 8:30 when Harold received that call from them. It just bothers me that even at that point, not unless he was aware that something nefarious had transpired, that he would tell them to call back in the morning. The mall would have still been open another half-hour and she could just be still at work.

My interpretation is that it was getting a bit late anyway, plus they were going to eat dinner and then watch the game on TV. By the time the game was over, they would have gone to bed (if not before.)

If Donna didn't have a cellphone, wouldn't Harold be able to phone her at the Home Office?

Would they even be open?

She did have a cell phone.

Where is the info on the cell? Do you have a link? If she did have one why did her husband call his sister to see if she was there.? Why not call her directly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back