CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a thought to add. Just a thought.

I happen to live with a "construction worker" so to speak. He's actually a specialized one, an operating engineer. Specifically, tower cranes. We live a few hours from the "big cities" like Toronto and Ottawa, because we felt that the big city experience was something that we did not want for our family. So, this means he commutes. Most job sites start work between 6 and 7 am. Which means that if he leaves from home to get to the job site he leaves around 4 am, sometimes earlier, depending on where he has to go. Some of the engineers live quite a distance from the job sites, therefore, they either commute, leaving very early in the morning, or, they are given "allowance" so to speak that allows them to either rent an apartment (sometimes LONG TERM, depending on whether they stay with the same company for extended jobs) or pay for lodging at a hotel or rooming house.
Since my husband works the towers, if he replaced his boots more than once in 5 years I would be surprised. Assuming that the boots were the ones this person wore regularly, I wonder how much wear was on the tread? And is this person truly "local" or is it someone that hangs out in the area when he has a job there.
Now, after getting that part out, let's take a moment to look at a job site. There are general labourers, operating engineers (heavy equipment operators), carpenters, electricians, concrete pump operators, plumbers, concrete truck drivers, transport truck drivers, flagmen, food vendors, business agents, foremen....ANYBODY THAT SETS FOOT ON THE CONSTRUCTION SITE, including architects, inspectors (city and provincial)....are required to wear safety boots. And that brings me to my next thought. Every factory worker in Ontario. Truck drivers. Plumbers. Electricians. Farmers. Custodians. WASTE REMOVAL employees (now that would be a great way to get rid of incriminating evidence wouldn't it?) Some Hospital Workers. Heating and Air conditioning technicians. Window washers. Industrial bakers. The list is endless. And were these boots actually his, or were they purchased and/or used just for this crime? Every time I read an article it focuses on "construction" boots, and keeps turning my mind back to looking for just that- A CONSTRUCTION worker. If my mind goes that way then who does the general public think they are looking for? I truly hope that most minds are broader than mine, because if not, I fear he may be flying below the radar.

Just some thoughts. Does anyone else feel this way?

That's why I think the whole "boot search" is like looking for a needle in a haystack. If they had their suspects narrowed down, then the boot identification would make more sense, but to look for any Mark's Work Wearhouse boots in the province seems a little far fetched.
Wonder what the boyfriend does for a living?

I agree about the boots. I think it is nearly impossible to narrow it down to the killer by the boots alone. I am hoping that they have someone in mind and that they released the information about the boots to see how he would react.

Last night I drove by the site where Sonia's car was found. I can see how the killer could have dropped if off there undetected. It's a very narrow laneway and the parking space where it was left is hard to see from the street. There are also lots of trees right across from it so it was pretty well hidden from all sides. Was very strange and sad to see the spot; it makes it so much more real when you actually see where these events took place.

I think that who wears these kind of boots is less important than who has done something "different" with these kind of boots, since the murder.

That's why I think the whole "boot search" is like looking for a needle in a haystack. If they had their suspects narrowed down, then the boot identification would make more sense, but to look for any Mark's Work Wearhouse boots in the province seems a little far fetched.
Wonder what the boyfriend does for a living?

I wonder if the police are visiting carpernters/construction sites in the area for a little chat.

Police will do anything to solve a murder. In the Tori S. case police brought people in for questioning simply because they wore a white jacket and someone called it in.

I wonder if strange guys living in the area have been mentioned to police especially ones associated with work boot type jobs,.

So, a few things to consider.

Construction workers that are working out of their area (an example of this is family member that considers his "home" a 2 hour drive from where he has worked for the last 23 years- 23 years of weekly living in various hotels and weekend living in his "home" 2 hours away) tend to be quintessential loners. Not many work place faces become more than buddies they say hi to on a weekday basis. It is a rather strange life really, because it totally allows for the sense of separate life away from the weekends. So I asked my husband if he would notice if "Jimmy" got new boots. I would notice, but- a) I am woman- b) I do the banking. His answer is....Nope. Not likely. So then I decided to look in the closet. Currently there are 3 pairs of steel toes in there in various shape. Two are the exact same, since he liked them the first time he bought a replacement pair that was the same type and brand. The other pair is a winter set. I honestly don't know if I would notice one less pair in the closet, since I didn't even notice that there were three pairs in there. It is a nice thought that someone would notice and report it, but they didn't even report the screams until well after she was gone. :(
Then I got thinking about hospital staff. Orderlies and patient transfer units typically would wear safety boots wouldn't they? Certainly the maintenance staff would. And would it be all that odd for them to come home with blood on them? That is IF they had someone to come home to. Not to mention the fact that they would likely know how to get the stains OFF of their personal belongings. It's not that hard if you know what you are doing.

Does anybody know what clothing or fabric was actually recovered just before they found the body?

I think that they need to release some other information at this point. I would like to think that they know what they are doing but the realist in me says that it's just NOT enough to go on. Time is ticking.

But this is purely my opinion, however cracked it might seem. There has to be a break soon.

In the Holly J. case in Toronto police went door to door in the neighbourhood area which is the route Holly took back from her friends house when she went missing. They asked for a cheek swab for DNA as Holly had skin under her nails from the murderer. I believe if memory serves me well that only two people refused to submit to a swab one being the killer. The police followed him and he noticed and mocked them. They finally got him when they got a pop can from his garbage and matched up the DNA.

I wonder if they are using any of these tactics. There well may be DNA on Sonia that can be matched to the perp. They just have to narrow down the suspicious and probable types along with their other info. and ask for a DNA sample. Refusal is sometimes suspicion enough for police to further investigate the person.

I happen to live with a "construction worker" so to speak. He's actually a specialized one, an operating engineer. Specifically, tower cranes. We live a few hours from the "big cities" like Toronto and Ottawa, because we felt that the big city experience was something that we did not want for our family. So, this means he commutes. Most job sites start work between 6 and 7 am. Which means that if he leaves from home to get to the job site he leaves around 4 am, sometimes earlier, depending on where he has to go. Some of the engineers live quite a distance from the job sites, therefore, they either commute, leaving very early in the morning, or, they are given "allowance" so to speak that allows them to either rent an apartment (sometimes LONG TERM, depending on whether they stay with the same company for extended jobs) or pay for lodging at a hotel or rooming house.
Since my husband works the towers, if he replaced his boots more than once in 5 years I would be surprised. Assuming that the boots were the ones this person wore regularly, I wonder how much wear was on the tread? And is this person truly "local" or is it someone that hangs out in the area when he has a job there.
Now, after getting that part out, let's take a moment to look at a job site. There are general labourers, operating engineers (heavy equipment operators), carpenters, electricians, concrete pump operators, plumbers, concrete truck drivers, transport truck drivers, flagmen, food vendors, business agents, foremen....ANYBODY THAT SETS FOOT ON THE CONSTRUCTION SITE, including architects, inspectors (city and provincial)....are required to wear safety boots. And that brings me to my next thought. Every factory worker in Ontario. Truck drivers. Plumbers. Electricians. Farmers. Custodians. WASTE REMOVAL employees (now that would be a great way to get rid of incriminating evidence wouldn't it?) Some Hospital Workers. Heating and Air conditioning technicians. Window washers. Industrial bakers. The list is endless. And were these boots actually his, or were they purchased and/or used just for this crime? Every time I read an article it focuses on "construction" boots, and keeps turning my mind back to looking for just that- A CONSTRUCTION worker. If my mind goes that way then who does the general public think they are looking for? I truly hope that most minds are broader than mine, because if not, I fear he may be flying below the radar.

I agree with you. For that matter, someone could have even borrowed those boots and cleaned them off afterward. I hope there are more leads that we are just unaware of for the present time.

I wonder if anyone out there with experience can tell me why it would take so long to release a body to the relatives? I can understand not getting details out to the public but why hang onto it for so long? What information could they garner by doing that?

Regarding the boots, my thoughts exactly. thinking of the ones that have come into my home to do work....the cable guy, plumber, drywaller, painter, furniture delivery, the list goes on...the garbage man, yard maintenance etc etc. So many articles have centered out "the construction" worker. About 85% of the men that I know all wear steel toed boots to work, with every employer enforcing the health and safety laws these days. The other 15% that do not wear them to work probably have them in the closet or garage at home to do yard work....so there you have it, probably 100% of men have workboots, so yes I agree it will be finding a needle in a haystack.

Does anybody know what clothing or fabric was actually recovered just before they found the body?

What ever happened with the clothes they found North of Orangeville two nights before they found the body? Didi anyone hear anything?

I just hope these boots don't turn into another 'beige camaro' as seen in the Bernardo case.

Those boots are long gone in my opinion. Sitting in a concrete slab, buried at the bottom of a landfill site or burned to a crisp. And I have 10 bucks that says the perp is somewhat of a loner, with no one who cares enough to notice one of his many pairs of boots missing. This is so frustrating, I cannot imagine what the family is forced to face every day because of someone's reprehensible actions.

But that's just my opinion, which isn't worth much.

In the Holly J. case in Toronto police went door to door in the neighbourhood area which is the route Holly took back from her friends house when she went missing. They asked for a cheek swab for DNA as Holly had skin under her nails from the murderer. I believe if memory serves me well that only two people refused to submit to a swab one being the killer. The police followed him and he noticed and mocked them. They finally got him when they got a pop can from his garbage and matched up the DNA.

I wonder if they are using any of these tactics. There well may be DNA on Sonia that can be matched to the perp. They just have to narrow down the suspicious and probable types along with their other info. and ask for a DNA sample. Refusal is sometimes suspicion enough for police to further investigate the person.

Great post, Flower. I forgot that is how LE solved the Holly Jones case.

If LE isn't doing DNA testing in the area around Sonia's home, I would be suprised. It's possible that they are doing it discreetly, rather than obviously.

I would guess that is almost a certainty that the perp left a print/dna amongst the different crime scenes, and the victim. This will lead to his/her capture.

What ever happened with the clothes they found North of Orangeville two nights before they found the body? Didi anyone hear anything?

I don't really remember hearing about this. Where was the clothing found? Why would the clothing need to be put somewhere else?

So, are you saying that the clothing was recovered in a DIFFERENT location than that of the body? That would indicate yet another crime scene.

I think that who wears these kind of boots is less important than who has done something "different" with these kind of boots, since the murder.

Those boots are long gone in my opinion. Sitting in a concrete slab, buried at the bottom of a landfill site or burned to a crisp. And I have 10 bucks that says the perp is somewhat of a loner, with no one who cares enough to notice one of his many pairs of boots missing. This is so frustrating, I cannot imagine what the family is forced to face every day because of someone's reprehensible actions.

But that's just my opinion, which isn't worth much.

I agree, who has purchased Size 10/11 boots since Sonia's murder?

If LE is so sure that the perp is a local, and they didn't announce the information regarding the boots until, in all likelihood, the perp had already purchased another pair, then the new purchase may be the ultimate clue.

If LE is so sure that the perp is a local, then odds are the boots were purchased locally. Since most retail transactions (assuming the original boots were purchased new), are paid by credit card or debit card, one can hope that LE can track them that way.

It wouldn't be unrealistic to think that LE is tracking all Mark's purchases in the province, for size 10/11, also.

It may seem like searching for a needle in haystack, but at least they know what size the needle is and what it looks like.

I wonder if LE has been able to find anything useful in terms of video footage of the car recovery location, in the days PRIOR to the crime? If the perp dumped the car in a location familiar to them, they likely frequented the location in some way (on foot or in their car).

I don't know if the cameras where Sonia's car was recovered would be able to zoom in enough to possibly see footwear??? Likewise, video at her place of work and places she frequented, prior to the crime, might yield a clue on the perp's footwear.

Does anyone know if the Tim Hortons at 46 Broadway in Orangeville is open 24 hours or open very late (open at 2-3 am)? The Tims is very close to Sonia's when I look at a Google map. If the perp was there that night, he could have walked through the back way (woods) to get to her place without being noticed. Do Tims coffee shops use video cameras?

There was clothing found north of Orangeville the Friday night before they forund the body, it was on the news,however it was never confirmed if it was Sonia's. Could it have been and LE is keeping it quiet?

Does anyone know if the Tim Hortons at 46 Broadway in Orangeville is open 24 hours or open very late (open at 2-3 am)? The Tims is very close to Sonia's when I look at a Google map. If the perp was there that night, he could have walked through the back way (woods) to get to her place without being noticed. Do Tims coffee shops use video cameras?

That Tim's is open 24/7 and there are no video cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BasicallyAnxious