CANADA Canada - Toronto, WhtMale, 25-35, Motorcycle Accident Victim, May'88

No knowledge or recollection of this case on my part - just checked the info OPP provided - because I could. Tried to ask OPP once about the date - didn't work out. None of my business or some such response. An OPP officer reading back on info doesn't make it correct - but 'they' seem to think it does.

Any new info would be wonderful! Hope you or anyone can find something new!

No knowledge or recollection of this case on my part - just checked the info OPP provided - because I could. Tried to ask OPP once about the date - didn't work out. None of my business or some such response. An OPP officer reading back on info doesn't make it correct - but 'they' seem to think it does.

Any new info would be wonderful! Hope you or anyone can find something new!

If it is none of our collective business...why don't they take that website down and quit taking tips from the public? I hate that rude attitude.

Definitely rude on the part of OPP - but that's why we're here - no?

Would like to see this guy identified. How hard would it have been at the time? Not sure.

P.S.

Not to criticize the police or coroner too much, but the postmortem photo borders on disrespectful. I think that a drawing or bust would be more appropriate.

Yes, it's gruesome, and the mouth wide open doesn't help. However, I prefer to see the post mortem because I can study the ears, when avail or visible. I find ears to be the best way to initially triage through possible matches.

I still think this guy had just fm worked on the bike and was going for a test drive. Do we know if the brakes or clutch failed, or did they hit gravel?

It could be that he and the driver had bonded over a shared love of bikes, and the driver invited the UID to tinker with the bike and go for a ride.

We don't know what type of bike it was, or the circumstances of the accident, but a sport bike can be powerful and accelerate quickly. A short trip could end badly very quickly.

Also, we don't know any toxicology results on either of the dead men (I am assuming the driver was a man), so this is pure guesswork and speculation.

BTW, it doesn't strike me that this was at all connected to outlaw bikers in any way. I may be wrong, though.

I am curious as to why this case didn't get more exposure in the newspapers.

The rough, calloused hands indicate that the man likely worked with his hands extensively.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar...k+help+to+identify+motorcycle+accident+victim

I found something!! This is in the Ontario Edition of the Star on June 1, 1988. Woodland may be right in that the date is wrong, or that they are just published the info a few weeks after the accident. I am going to see if I can find anything else in the "free" archives before I buy access to this.

Great find! Plus it adds a touch more info about physical appearance, ie, has fair complexion and good teeth.

"He was white, in his late 20s or early 30s, 5 feet 8 inches and 210 pounds, with dark brown, wavy hair to his collar. He had a fair complexion, blue eyes, a slight moustache and good teeth"

Accessed full article from 1 June 1988 - the UID is reported to have died 13 May 1988 in hospital, the day following the accident.

He is also reported as heavier in the article at 210 pounds, 5' 8" and that he had a 5" scar on his lower left leg (as opposed to a dark mole on UID sites).

The motorcycle accident occurred on Harbord Street near George Street, Toronto at 4:45 am. They hit a pole - driver died at the scene.

The driver was Johann Hadju.

Any chance Hadju might have been selling the bike and the UID had been planning on buying it? He might not have mentioned his plans for the sale to others in his family, but a check of classified ads from the time might confirm this, especially if we knew what model of motorcycle it was.

That might offer an explanation for why the UID didn't leave a vehicle or any other possessions that we know about at Hadju's home. He might have arrived by bus or had someone drop him off if he was planning to buy the bike and ride it home, and he might've not brought his own helmet along just for a test drive.

Of course, it would be expected he'd have had a large amount of cash on him, but maybe they had already agreed on the sale and exchanged money before the test drive and Hadju's family just assumed the cash had been his all along.

Wondering if the two riders had been out all night since the accident happened at 4:45 am - that would be a Wednesday night into Thursday morning.

Could they have met up somewhere during the evening/wee hours of the morning? Maybe a party got underway somewhere after bar closing time?

Thanks for accessing the article, Woodland!

How old was Hadju?

It is good that we have some context in which to look at this. Bombing around downtown Toronto on a motorbike at 4.45 in the morning is an invitation to get into an accident; with narrow streets, and parked cars everywhere.

I wonder what those guys were doing at that time.

Woodland, is there any way to paste the article to a posting here? :)

Could one or both have been heading to work? What time did public transit start? Would a man with working hands be out partying all night on a weekday? I suppose he might, but he also might have hitched a ride to work. Does the article say where the accident occurred?

Harbord Street near George Street

George Street does not intersect with Harbord Street. I think it should be St. George Street. That intersection would be on the University of Toronto St. George campus.

I wanted to check the spelling of the surname. There is a Hungarian name spelled "Hajdu".

Also, I agree that the accident happened at Harbord and St. George, rather than George Street. It is where Harbord becomes Hoskin Avenue, just west of Queen's Park.

I could not find an obit either musicaljoke.

It is St George Street that intersects with Harbord ebonydarkness - the article does say George Street. Just to confuse matters more, there is a George Street that intersects or is close to Harbour Street.

Not sure I can put the article here Darkblue - there is a clear notation not to reproduce without permission. The article is on page A3 of the 1 June 1988 edition.

Should have mentioned previously there is no mention of an appendectomy scar in the article - only a 5" scar on his lower left leg. The spelling of the surname is Hadju but that could be wrong - Hajdu is worth checking imo. No age given for Hadju/Hajdu.

Thanks, Woodland.

Randall Richard Voss looks a heck of a lot like the UID, in my opinion. His physical description is very similar, too.

Is there anything else you find significant in the article, Woodland?

The article is short and sweet - the only other notation is clothing - same as here. No mention of the playboy bunny chain.

It is no wonder the case hasn't been solved.

I wonder why the story didn't make it to the Metro Edition of the Star. A dual traffic fatality most certainly would. There seems to be very little information about the driver or the case, period.

It seems like the UID has been forgotten over the years, as there have been no follow ups in the media.

What we have so far:

So, someone picks up a guy with no money or identification on him, or so it seems.

The two of them are cruising around on a motorcycle in the centre of a major city in the middle of the night when tragedy strikes.

-The UID didn't seem to be homeless in the conventional sense. He had good teeth, was "well nourished", and wearing clothing in relatively good condition.

-He obviously made some sort of positive impression on the driver, as he took him on his bike for a spin.

-The UID had no safety equipment, nor preparations for riding, or so it appears.

I assume that the police showed Hadju's survivors the photo of the UID, and they had no idea who he was.

-No toxicology on either of them, or cause of accident, Woodland?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back