CANADA - Vending machines to be removed from UWaterloo campus over facial tech concerns

I caught that article too. My goodness! What a sleazy way to do business. I wonder how many other machines with similar technology have been put into public places. Kudos to the student who figured it out.

I am confused as to what the machines were doing? Can someone help me out.

The machines were using facial recognition technology without the proper consent of those who were being spied upon, which is against privacy legislation. The Mars company that owns the machines, apparently was collecting data on the age and gender of those who used the machines, although, one would question the need to do so on campus where the age of the users is fairly consistent.

According to the link below, the students have gone around and covered up the camera holes on the vending machines.

Ok, I understand know. Supposedly the camera is recording gender, age, etc of purchaser for what I can assume is market research? And I am assuming recording an image without permission is illegal in Ontario?

Ok, I understand know. Supposedly the camera is recording gender, age, etc of purchaser for what I can assume is market research? And I am assuming recording an image without permission is illegal in Ontario?

Yes, that is correct.

Do you know how those privacy laws work? Is it recording for commercial purposes requires permission, does it affect security cameras, etc.

Shopping malls recently breached privacy laws in a similar way. The article below has a good description of what they did which was illegal. It was more than just taking images of people without their knowledge or consent as one might find with a security camera. The use of facial recognition technology was the root of the issue. In addition, the biometrics about individual faces was stored by a third party.

Posting a notice at the doors about the use of security cameras was not considered meaningful consent.

The cbc article below gives a fairly good explanation of the issue. It also mentions how this would be treated in the US.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back