GUILTY Canada - William Staples, 67, & Rhonda Borelli, 36, murdered, Binbrook, Ont, Jan 1998

Hmm, seems there may have been an issue with 'the food' !

Susan Clairmont @susanclairmont · Nov 25

Staples jury had 2 questions this morning: one involved their food (judge said he'd take care of it); other was request for transcripts.

Wow! The food can't be that good.....
I was so wrong to think that this would be a fast decision

Susan ClairmontVerified account
‏@susanclairmont Jury is sequestered. Had rough first night in hotel due to power outage. Slept better last night, they indicate to judge. #HamOnt

ubm: I didn't know that!!

It would be interesting to see the actual ''discharge date of the bankruptcy''. Were there personal guarantees and was MS fully discharged?

The delay in MS having ''actual'' control over the inheritance may have really been to his advantage. MOO

How awful it would be to be a juror in a murder trial, and then after the trial, to find out about all the information that wasn't allowed to be heard by the jurors. I suppose that jurors know there is information they can't hear when they are asked to leave the courtroom, and that has got to be unsettling. Great job in this case, Jury!!

Hypnosis and a polygraph refusal: what the Staples jury didn’t hear
Hamilton Spectator
By Susan Clairmont

Just before he is to be hooked up to the polygraph machine, Mark Staples balks.

"If I didn't want to take this test today, I can or cannot?" he stammers to the detective. "No, I'm, just saying, I think I should have talked to my lawyer now that I think about it."

The polygraph machine — the lie detector — is in the corner of the room. Its results are inadmissible in criminal court in Canada. So is the fact someone has declined to take the test.

That's why the jury that found Mark Staples guilty of murdering his father and sister never heard about the moment he refused to take the test.
<modsnip>

<modsnip>

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5162785-hypnosis-and-a-polygraph-refusal-what-the-staples-jury-didn-t-hear/

These are some tweets from Susan Clairmont when the verdict was reached (read from bottom up). What an emotional day.. almost 17 years to see justice finally served. Some jurors seen weeping, must have been such a huge emotional release for them after an 8 week trial; Detective and family weeping too:

No victim impact statements being filed.

Crown is seeking an order for Mark to have no contact with his ex-wife or daughters.

Court is about to begin again. Mark is back in the box. He's stoic.

We will be coming back into court for Mark's sentencing shortly. Scene here is very emotional.

Family is now having a private moment with Crowns and cops. I will be talking with them afterward.

Jury has now left the courtroom. Mark has looked behind him. His girlfriend Nella is not here.

Some jurors are weeping.

Family weeping. Detective too. Mark is stone faced.

Mark Staples is guilty of two counts of first degree murder.

Mark Staples is guilty.

Jury is entering.

Defense lawyer Marco Sciarra is standing next to his client. Courtroom is silent.

https://twitter.com/susanclairmont

Update:

UPDATE: Mark Staples guilty in slaying of dad, sister
Hamilton Spectator
By Susan Clairmont

Nearly 17 years after Bill Staples and Rhonda Borelli were killed in what Justice Harrison Arrell called a "heinous" fashion, Mark has now been convicted of the crimes his family always thought he was guilty of.

As the jury's foreman quietly uttered the word "guilty" twice &#8212; once for Bill and once for Rhonda &#8212; Mark stood in the prisoners' box, hands clasped in front of him, his stoic expression unchanging.

Indeed his defense team, Marco Sciarra and Victor Giourgas, looked more stricken than their client.

<modsnip>

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5161859-update-mark-staples-guilty-in-slaying-of-dad-sister/

It was only less than 2 months after the family went missing, that MS got control over his father's estate. And it is stated that Mulligan's filed for bankruptcy just after they went missing. It definitely would not have been discharged yet. I wonder if they can go back on any personal guarantees? If there were personal guarantees, then one might guess that if the personal guarantor was unable to fulfill the debt requirements, he may also have to file for personal bankruptcy.. but that isn't stated anywhere.

It would be interesting to see the actual ''discharge date of the bankruptcy''. Were there personal guarantees and was MS fully discharged?

The delay in MS having ''actual'' control over the inheritance may have really been to his advantage. MOO

It was only less than 2 months after the family went missing, that MS got control over his father's estate. And it is stated that Mulligan's filed for bankruptcy just after they went missing. It definitely would not have been discharged yet. I wonder if they can go back on any personal guarantees? If there were personal guarantees, then one might guess that if the personal guarantor was unable to fulfill the debt requirements, he may also have to file for personal bankruptcy.. but that isn't stated anywhere.

I believe that bankruptcy holds the key. It takes time to be discharged completely. With the probate/estate matters tied up as well -- very neat package JMHO

I don't believe the idea was to save his business but instead to give him some $$

Yes, it seems you are right. That bankruptcy was filed by Mulligan's, which is a corporation, so it wouldn't (I don't think) have affected MS's finances, unless he had been a personal guarantor, which is highly unlikely, considering his own personal financial status (having to borrow money all the time). So.. it seems like it was more of an anger thing, like.. M is failing, I HAVE to pay creditors or they will foreclose etc., and WS's refusal to loan more money (reported by many others)... so he thinks, 'fine, then if I'm going to lose M, then you're going to pay in a different way!' (I'm making this up, of course).. and so he murders them.. and then files for bankruptcy.. M is now all gone.. and eventually MS gets his windfall after the bodies are found and their deaths are proven. It doesn't go to Mulligan's, but he got to spend it all (on what, I wonder? That is a fair chunk of change, even with the missing 1,000,000 from when BS's estate was valued at the time of his death) (wonder where that additional 1million went off to??)

ETA Ok, so while we're on this flow of what could have happened... I wonder how it was that the police came upon BS's vehicle so many months after the fact? Was it a tip? Did someone else come across it and report it? Did police decide 5 months later to go and check again? If it was a tip... it would make one wonder if it could have been MS calling it in, so that the inheritance WOULD be released? (In addition to that he likely thought police would never be able to determine he killed them based on their decomposed remains) MOO

I believe that bankruptcy holds the key. It takes time to be discharged completely. With the probate/estate matters tied up as well -- very neat package JMHO

I don't believe the idea was to save his business but instead to give him some $$

I could be wrong but.....even if his father was a personal guarantor, the personal guarantee may have included life insurance proceeds ((at the bank level)) so bank wouldn't be able to claw back on the estate ((would have to ask a Cdn banker on that but am pretty sure it is offered)).

I really believe it was a chess game with the timing.

As far as the finding of the vehicle at the airport/airpark -- that had to be done right away I would think. It would be a nightmare (fume wise) to deliver it after the two were murdered JMHO.

It would be great to see photos of where the vehicle was actually parked....that's a huge area and it is busy.

Interesting article on MS

Who is the man who murdered his own father and sister?
Hamilton Spectator
By Susan Clairmont
December 1, 2014

The afternoon of June 12, 2010, Mark was in his Dundas driveway when police officers approached him. He was arrested for the murders of his dad and sister.

By 2:49 p.m., he was in a sparse interview room being questioned for more than four hours by Det. Rick Arnold of the homicide unit. The original team of investigators had all retired. Arnold inherited the file &#8212; some 10,000 pages of documents &#8212; in 2005.

This interview was dramatically different from the one 12 years earlier.

Mark was hostile and cocky. But, oddly, he also yawned and sang.

This time, he knew he wasn't getting out of there a free man.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5164240-who-is-the-man-who-murdered-his-own-father-and-sister-/

I'm not sure what you're saying as far as a personal guarantee including life insurance proceeds.

Yes, I'm sure the vehicle was parked there where it was found, right from the beginning. My question is.. how did they finally come across it? Was it a tip? From whom? In an earlier article it stated that MS had said they were 'probably in Toronto'.. which was interesting in itself.. he wouldn't be allowed to receive his inheritance until his father was proven to be deceased, which couldnt' happen until his body was located.. so it was in MS's best intesest that they be found.. so much time went on (almost 6 mos??) before they were found.. I would be curious to know what finally prompted police to locate that vehicle. If MS was getting desperate for the money, he may have called in the tip himself, thinking there was no way they could get any valuable clues from the bodies to implicate himself when they were so decomposed by that time? Just a thought.

In another older article (I think the 10th anniversary one I posted just recently, and likely same one as the one referred to in paragraph above), I believe it said the truck was located at some far end of the parking lot.

I could be wrong but.....even if his father was a personal guarantor, the personal guarantee may have included life insurance proceeds ((at the bank level)) so bank wouldn't be able to claw back on the estate ((would have to ask a Cdn banker on that but am pretty sure it is offered)).

I really believe it was a chess game with the timing.

As far as the finding of the vehicle at the airport/airpark -- that had to be done right away I would think. It would be a nightmare (fume wise) to deliver it after the two were murdered JMHO.

It would be great to see photos of where the vehicle was actually parked....that's a huge area and it is busy.

If you guarantor a loan for someone you are offered life insurance (small amount to be paid monthly) so that if the guarantor dies, the bank will receive the proceeds.

https://www.cibc.com/ca/insurance/creditor/plc/life.html

''Life Insurance for CIBC Personal Lines of Credit could be right for you if any of the following apply:
You have personal liability for a CIBC Personal Line of Credit (PLC) and/or CIBC Education Line of Credit (ELC) as a borrower, co-borrower or guarantor
You need protection for your family in case of unforeseen events''

It would ''tidy'' things up for MS IF his father was in fact a guarantor for his line of credit or loans for the business.

If I am not mistaken, with even a corporate bankruptcy disclosure of personal assets is also required. There is limited liability but the bankruptcy courts take a dim view of people ''hiding assets''. The longer it took to find the bodies and settle the inheritance issues the better it would seem to me JMHO.

MS taken from the courtroom and directly to jail

"A first-degree murder conviction comes with an automatic sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years''

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...g_of_hamilton_millionaire_dad_and_sister.html

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5161859-mark-staples-guilty-in-slaying-of-dad-sister/

''With one backward glance, Mark was led out of the courtroom to begin serving his mandatory sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years''

the comments on the Hamilton Spec site are worth looking at JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back