Canada - Winnipeg teen 'hero' saves baby from sidewalk bashing

Two hateful crimes occurred in Canada this week, that of the murder of a boy Dakota Hunter, who was bullied for years, then lured and murdered and now this horrifying story of a little baby girl, it fills my heart with heavy sadness and pain. I cried a few tears over these two stories of violence, let me tell you.

How is it possible that there are so many people out there doing crimes like this to innocent little children?

How? Why?

That man was a true hero saving that baby. As a friend said, "thank God he didn't quit smoking last week, or something, he would not have even been there".

Two hateful crimes occurred in Canada this week, that of the murder of a boy Dakota Hunter, who was bullied for years, then lured and murdered and now this horrifying story of a little baby girl, it fills my heart with heavy sadness and pain. I cried a few tears over these two stories of violence, let me tell you.

How is it possible that there are so many people out there doing crimes like this to innocent little children?

How? Why?

That man was a true hero saving that baby. As a friend said, "thank God he didn't quit smoking last week, or something, he would not have even been there".

Yes. I think it's pretty certain that had Tyler not been out there we would have a story about a dead baby on here.

God bless you Tyler Bilsborrow! You are a shining example to Canada and the world. I am so proud of you.

A true hero in my mind. :clap:

Maz

My goodness...thank God he investigated...warms my heart that he swaddled the baby and rubbed its belly...poor thing...I'm speechless...and now with tears in my eyes. How could someone do ANYTHING to a helpless baby? I know. The question will never be answered for me.

I live approx 1-1/2 hours outside of Winnipeg and can understand this young woman's concerns, although I am not sure where she would go that would be much better, unless it is a small, rural community-- away from a large city or Aboriginal Reserve.

The North End of Winnipeg is a poor and working class community -- the majority of its residents are of Aboriginal descent. There area is known for its gangs and crime. Much of the problems are linked to the intergenerational effects of Canada's Residential School System that forcibly took Aboriginal children away from their parents and put them in government and church runs schools to try to assimilate them and destroy their connection to their culture. Many children were exposed to physical, emotional and sexual abuse -- it split parents from their children and caused the structure of many families to collapse and disintegrate.

Canada is now dealing with the integenerational results of such a disastrous policy-- lack of parenting, integenerational poverty, incest and sexual abuse as well as reliance on social services and programs, youth involved in drugs, prostitution, gangs, carjackings and crime -- and nowhere is the impact felt more than in Winnipeg's Core and North End neighbourhoods.

The city, provincial and federal governments are doing what they can, but it will undoubtedly take generations to undo the damage done to the Aboriginal families affected by colonialism and this failed government policy.

My late husband was a product of residential school where he was beaten when he was 5 1/2 years old for speaking his native tongue and called "evil" and a "devil" by priests and nuns. He was also sexually abused by priests and classmates. It was a miracle he turned out to be a non-violent and gentle man. Later in his life he counselled many people from Winnipeg's North End and I heard many stories from him that would break your heart.

Penelope - that is incredibly sad. Why did the Government do that to the Aboringinal families? Why not let them live together instead of ripping them apart? Maybe I am being naive here, I'm just wondering why anyone would do that but I guess it would be close to the answer of the American Indians. How very sad. I truly wish people would learn to let others live in peace instead of creating such chaos and hurt. Why can no one see what it does?

Ezra

Penelope - that is incredibly sad. Why did the Government do that to the Aboringinal families? Why not let them live together instead of ripping them apart? Maybe I am being naive here, I'm just wondering why anyone would do that but I guess it would be close to the answer of the American Indians. How very sad. I truly wish people would learn to let others live in peace instead of creating such chaos and hurt. Why can no one see what it does?

Ezra

Begun in the 1870's and persisting until the 1970's, the Canadian Residential School System was supposedly intended to "get rid of the Native problem" by beginning a policy of assimilation that would ultimately result in the loss of Aboriginal language, culture and economy. What it turned out to be, in essence, was Cultural Genocide.

In the early years, children in the care of the schools were often abused and neglected. My husband always told me that no one has ever truly documented how many children who attended residential school died as a result of disease, neglect, physical abuse -- or even from broken hearts. Some children escaped and died trying to get home to their parents. Young girls were raped and gave birth to babies that either died at birth or allowed to die and then were buried in unmarked graves. There were stories told by my husband's people of tearing down the old school buildings and finding tiny skeletons hidden in the walls or under the foundations. There was even a time when young native girls at some schools were sterilized so they could not give birth to more "savages."

In later years, the schools were cleaned up and the less abuse went on. Eventually the Residential School System was transformed into a social welfare system where Aboriginal people are still considered to be like "wards of the state."

There have been many books written about it and the history of Canada's subjugation and marginalization of its Indigenous Peoples-- here are some titles from my personal library:

A National Crime -- by John S. Milloy
No End of Grief: Indian Residential Schools in Canada -- by Agnes Grant
Indian Residential Schools: The Nuu-Chah-nulth Experience -- Report of the Nuu-Chah-Nulth Tribal Council
Accounting for Genocide: Canada's Beurocratic Assault on Aboriginal People -- Dean Neu & Richard Therrien

Thanks for listening -- my late husband would be happy that I shared this information with people of "open minds and hearts."

Begun in the 1870's and persisting until the 1970's, the Canadian Residential School System was supposedly intended to "get rid of the Native problem" by beginning a policy of assimilation that would ultimately result in the loss of Aboriginal language, culture and economy. What it turned out to be, in essence, was Cultural Genocide.

In the early years, children in the care of the schools were often abused and neglected. My husband always told me that no one has ever truly documented how many children who attended residential school died as a result of disease, neglect, physical abuse -- or even from broken hearts. Some children escaped and died trying to get home to their parents. Young girls were raped and gave birth to babies that either died at birth or allowed to die and then were buried in unmarked graves. There were stories told by my husband's people of tearing down the old school buildings and finding tiny skeletons hidden in the walls or under the foundations. There was even a time when young native girls at some schools were sterilized so they could not give birth to more "savages."

In later years, the schools were cleaned up and the less abuse went on. Eventually the Residential School System was transformed into a social welfare system where Aboriginal people are still considered to be like "wards of the state."

There have been many books written about it and the history of Canada's subjugation and marginalization of its Indigenous Peoples-- here are some titles from my personal library:

A National Crime -- by John S. Milloy
No End of Grief: Indian Residential Schools in Canada -- by Agnes Grant
Indian Residential Schools: The Nuu-Chah-nulth Experience -- Report of the Nuu-Chah-Nulth Tribal Council
Accounting for Genocide: Canada's Beurocratic Assault on Aboriginal People -- Dean Neu & Richard Therrien

Thanks for listening -- my late husband would be happy that I shared this information with people of "open minds and hearts."

Thank you so much Penelope for this information. So much of this sort of thing has gone on all over the world in places and many people don't understand the hellish problems it can cause even hundreds of years later.

Bless you and your husband and his people.

This neighbourhood is in serious trouble...

Winnipeg man faces charges after baby son stabbed

WINNIPEG – A 23-year-old man is in custody and will be charged after his infant son was found stabbed near the eye, Winnipeg police said Sunday.

The attack occurred in the same apartment complex where, in an unrelated case three weeks ago, witnesses spotted a woman bashing the head of a one-year-old girl on the pavement.

http://www.thestar.com/article/698400

I had also heard there was an incident in this same complex in 2006 in which a disabled teen was locked in a shed that was then set on fire...

If ever there was a place is in crisis, this is it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back