Found Deceased Canada - Zabia Afzal, 30, Toronto, 10 May 2018

dotr

Reaction score
https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...ghan-woman-last-seen-near-toronto-waterfront/

Toronto police are searching for a missing Vaughan woman last seen near the city’s waterfront, York Regional Police Const. Marina Orlovski said.

York police are leading the investigation into the disappearance of Zabia Afzal, but Toronto police are conducting the search, including by helicopter, the marine unit and on the ground, she said.

Afzal, 30, was last seen May 10 at about 10:40 a.m. in the area of Ashbridges Bay, located along Lake Shore Boulevard in the Beach area of Toronto, said Orlovski, adding it is unclear why she was in that location.

Attachments

• V_MissingWomanAfzal_051118___Super_Portrait.jpg
    V_MissingWomanAfzal_051118___Super_Portrait.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 58
https://www.yrp.ca/en/Modules/News/...7&newsId=3bc861ea-906d-4801-9dc7-d26529a46197
Zabia AFZAL was last seen on Thursday, May 10, 2018, at approximately 9:40 a.m. in the area of Highway 400 and Major Mackenzie Drive West. Investigators have received information that she was seen later that morning at approximately 10:40 a.m. in the area of Ashbridges Bay, in the City of Toronto.
The Toronto Police Service is assisting by conducting ground and water searches and the York Regional Police helicopter Air2 has also been deployed.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police #4 District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 1-866-876-5423, ext.7441, or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-tips, or leave an anonymous tip online at www.1800222tips.com.
"Description:

• Female
  • 30 years old
  • 5’4”, 128 lbs.
  • Shoulder-length, dark-brown hair
  • Last seen wearing black pants, black or navy zippered hooded sweatshirt and green floral shirt"

Those details that she took an uber from work to the beach area. Her shoes, etc were found.

IMO Does not sound good at all

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Add in that LE deployed helicopter & boats very fast (from Dotr’s links). :(

Zafia is quite well known, both from her job/studies and her involvement in community outreach as a speaker and activist.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/zabia-afzal-missing-persons-1.4660775
[h=1]Friends, family of missing York University student launch online campaign #FindZabia​[/h][h=2]Zabia Afzal, 30, was last seen on Thursday near Ashbridges Bay, police say[/h]CBC News · Posted: May 12, 2018
Her friends and family are requesting help in bringing her back. Any support would be greatly appreciated," reads the description of Find Zabia, a Twitter account created by friends and family.

Organizers are asking people to use the hashtag #FindZabia to help share information about Afzal.
One Facebook post suggests Afzal left work in Vaughan and took an Uber to Woodbine Beach on Thursday morning.

"She was last traced to near the water where Woodbine Beach joins Ashbridges Bay," the post reads.

CBC News has not independently verified the information in the Facebook post.

CUPE 3903, the union representing striking contract staff at York University, also took to social media about the student and fellow union member.
"Zabia is a brilliant PhD student uncovering the injustices of the healthcare system," another post read.

Attachments

• DdA6ByLVwAAEm-K.jpg
    DdA6ByLVwAAEm-K.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 34
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/05/12/missing-york-university-student/
Around 9:40 a.m., Zabia Afzal took an Uber from her workplace in the area of Highway 400 and Major MacKenzie Drive West to Woodbine Beach, according to police and Afzal’s union CUPE 2903.
She was last seen in the area around 10:40 a.m., and her shoes, sweater and other belongings were found on an outcropping of rocks near the water in the early afternoon.

CUPE 3903 said she might be without a coat, shoes and purse.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7441, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

For anyone able to help out in the area today... there are community searches taking place at the Bluffs, on the Island, and at Thorncliffe. Hoping today brings positive news...

For anyone able to help out in the area today... there are community searches taking place at the Bluffs, on the Island, and at Thorncliffe. Hoping today brings positive news...
Thanks!
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...abia-afzal-last-seen-near-ashbridges-bay.html
Family and friends of missing Toronto activist and student Zabia Afzal are organizing community search parties Sunday.

Afzal, 30, was last seen around 10:40 a.m. on Thursday near Ashbridges Bay and Woodbine Beach, wearing black pants, a black or navy hooded sweatshirt and a green floral shirt.

Afzal’s older brother, Zubair Afzal, along with other family and friends have organized three separate search parties for Sunday.

“We’re not too sure where she is, but she was very loved by her family and community,” he told the Star. “We really need the community support to help find her.”

• At 10 a.m., a group will be meeting at Bluffs Park to search the Scarborough Bluffs.

• At 11 a.m. a group will be meeting at the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal to search the Toronto Islands.

• And at 2 p.m. a group will be meeting at the Shoppers Drug Mart at 45 Overlea Blvd, to search the Thorncliffe Community.
Family have been searching the GTA since Friday, Zubair Afzal said.
rbbm.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/zabia-afzal-missing-persons-1.4661096
"She was last traced to near the water where Woodbine Beach joins Ashbridges Bay," the post reads.
Zubair Afzal, Zabia's older brother, said about 60 people are searching Bluffers Park, along the shoreline, in its parking lots and areas closer to the bluffs themselves, and the search will extend into residential areas north of the park.

"We are extremely concerned for her safety," he said. "We strongly believe she is very close."

I wonder what took her to Ashbridges Bay via an Uber so early in the morning on a work day? Her brother stated that he had breakfast with her and that nothing appeared to be wrong then she 'travelled' 5 minutes to work. I assume that means that she 'drove' to work?

I live near the bluffs and could hear the helicopters over the weekend. :(

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...abia-afzal-last-seen-near-ashbridges-bay.html

Wondering what if anything may have happened in the short time Zabia was at work?
Apparently Zabia is " deeply moved by injustices big and small"
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/missing-phd-student-prompts-search-across-toronto-1.3927763
Over the weekend, about 70 volunteers have placed roughly 7,000 posters across the city. Search crews have been focusing their efforts on various parks in the city.
“We’re not too sure why she is missing,” Zubair Afzal, Zabia’s brother, told reporters on Sunday. “Our goal at this moment is to find her and we’re asking everyone’s support for that.”

York Regional Police have used a helicopter to search from the air, while officers in Toronto are searching from the ground. Nearby bodies of water are also being searched.

Afzal, a Vaughan resident and a public health PhD student at York University, is described as a strong advocate for women’s rights.

“She’s the most brilliant person I know,” one of Afzal’s classmates told CP24. “She uses her brilliance for the good of the society that we live in. She is deeply moved by injustices big and small.”
rbbm

The fact that her shoes, sweater and other belongings were found together, indicates more of an intentional disappearance than a crime occurring, in my head anyway. :(

The fact that her shoes, sweater and other belongings were found together, indicates more of an intentional disappearance than a crime occurring, in my head anyway. :(

Which could be either good news or really bad news depending upon the circumstances.

Wondering if they were able to contact the uber driver who apparently drove Zabia to the water area, to ask about any comments she may have made or if she in any way revealed her state of mind?
speculation, imo.

There has been a police helicopter flying over the Beaches neighborhood this morning. I also noticed flyers with her picture posted everywhere.

If there are additional community searches planned this week, I intend to volunteer. But I am also keeping a watch for her as is much of the neighbourhood. Finding her belongings as they did is certainly troubling but given how hospitable the weather has been, I want to cling to the hope that she is hiding out somewhere, trying to make sense of the things that are troubling her.

Unfortunately, if Zabia is in the lake, she will likely be found east of where she went in. The general flow is to the east. Very sad for everyone. I hope she is found safe.

Unfortunately, if Zabia is in the lake, she will likely be found east of where she went in. The general flow is to the east. Very sad for everyone. I hope she is found safe.

That is probably why they have been looking near the Bluffs as well. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aegon_the_Conqueror
Back