Carbon Copy Case... interesting parallels to the Ramsey case

Originally posted by Maxi
The Ramseys had every right to insist on doing the interviews their own way. But that is not at all typical of the parents of murder victims.

The situation can be summarized this way. The Ramseys had the right to ask for their conditions, but they had the responsibility to abandon those conditions immediately when investigators did not want to comply. The Ramseys, supposedly good Christians, are supposed to have been steeped in the Bible knowledge that you will never get everything you ask for, not from God and not from the BPD, and when you are refused, you do not sulk for months.

At one point - weren't questions written and submitted to their attorneys for answers?

What a joke.

Only one victim - JonBenet!

I notice that Dowily immediately took a lie detector test. Guess he wasn't "insulted."

"I notice that Dowily immediately took a lie detector test. Guess he wasn't "insulted."

For most parents, personal ego takes a back seat when you want to find the murderer of your child. Most parents, but evidently not all

Maybe he wasn't insulted...but he should have been.
He also should have been more sensible.

Originally posted by sissi
Tricia originally posted....HELLO??? ? Yes the BPD has every right to conduct the interviews their way. Not the main suspects way.

BINGO! They were victims and should have been treated as such!
IMO JMO

Sissi, it does not work that way. Even victims are required to be interviewed immediately. A friend of mine's husband committed suicide in his house while she and her 6 year old were asleep, the gun shots woke them up, he blew his brains out. Can you imagine what she was going through-- the cops immediately brought her to the station for an interview and gunpowder residue test-- SO SHE COULD BE CLEARED and they could declare it a suicide.

I posted on another thread. So many of you people do not have a clue as to how the system works. Please call your police department and ask them if parents of murdered children who may be suspects are allowed to set conditions on interviews, and specify they have to be interviewed tgether and only for 1 hour and not at the police station-- and see what your friendly homicide detective will tell you. Mine laughed their fannies off.
You might want to look up some books on police interview procedure as well.

"When interviewed, D. and C. Dowaliby seemed to be straightforward working class people. When asked if he regretted spending 18 mo. in prison, he said "the important thing was his daughter was gone"

That says it all for me.

The biggest difference in the murders is the size of the house. JonBenet 's was approximately 6000 sq feet for 4 people and the Dowaliby bungalow was closer to 1000 with three adults, two children and a baby on the way. The evening before her murder Jaclyn had been given her own room after sharing a room with her younger half brother. Her new room had been the room of her step grandmother who was living with the family. The step grandmother was moved to a room in the basement. There was a broken window found in the basement but it was determined to have been broken from the inside and believed to be staged. I never read an ounce of suspicion towards this woman but to me it seems possible she didn't like her new room in the basement. I think the old lady and her son committed the crime together.

I think politics got this guy out of prison. It was under the illustrious reign of Illinios Gov. Ryan that he was freed. Last Friday after closing, a suspicious and tragic fire destroyed records from the Illinois Secretary of State office along with killing 6 innocent people. While Secreatary of State Ryan's office exchanged cash for licenses to drive trucks. Many traffic fatalites have been linked to these ill gotten licenses.

I don't recall when the Dowaliby's switched rooms, but the grandmother was not home that night. She was out drinking, and was with a guy all night.

Politics is what got D. Dowaliby convicted, IMO. Richard Daley Jr. was running for mayor--he wanted this case solved. There were out and out lies told to the Grand Jury. Chicago politics at its worst, IMO.

Hadn't heard the loop building conspiracy stories--why is that not surprising? I don't think there was any great conspiracy there--just a tragic accident.

Originally posted by Sabrina
Sissi, it does not work that way. Even victims are required to be interviewed immediately. A friend of mine's husband committed suicide in his house while she and her 6 year old were asleep, the gun shots woke them up, he blew his brains out. Can you imagine what she was going through-- the cops immediately brought her to the station for an interview and gunpowder residue test-- SO SHE COULD BE CLEARED and they could declare it a suicide.

I posted on another thread. So many of you people do not have a clue as to how the system works. Please call your police department and ask them if parents of murdered children who may be suspects are allowed to set conditions on interviews, and specify they have to be interviewed tgether and only for 1 hour and not at the police station-- and see what your friendly homicide detective will tell you. Mine laughed their fannies off.

Great posting BUT IMHO "Patsy is a rare (one-of-a-kind) breed" in that she was going to do it good and do it like no other ... IMHO!

I don't think the murder of Jaclyn in the suburb of Midlothian had any impact on the mayoral race for the City of Chicago. As I recall, it was the Illinois State Police and FBI that took the case over from the Midlothian PD. That alibi for the grandmother is choice, out drinking with a guy all night. Unfortunately the publicity you can find relates to the work of Protess and that is only half the story.

This case was the first time I realized that people aren't actually "required" to be interviewed. If it is "required" as you say, then why wasn't it done? I assume it wasn't done because they had the "right" to refuse. So did they, or didn't they have that "right"? And, if they did have the "right" to refuse to be interviewed, then it isn't "required" and people simply don't know their "rights".
"How the system works?" You have the "right" to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law, and in the media. You have the "right" to have an attorney present while being questioned.
Unless you are "under arrest" you are not "required" to go down to the police station. You are free. That is why they say when they close the door for the "interview" that "you are free to leave whenever you want, you are not under arrest." jmo

If it is required to be interviewed, I really really want to know why they weren't. If they aren't "required" then why isn't everyone else?

This case was the first time I realized that people aren't actually "required" to be interviewed. If it is "required" as you say, then why wasn't it done? I assume it wasn't done because they had the "right" to refuse. So did they, or didn't they have that "right"? And, if they did have the "right" to refuse to be interviewed, then it isn't "required" and people simply don't know their "rights".
"How the system works?" You have the "right" to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law, and in the media. You have the "right" to have an attorney present while being questioned.
Unless you are "under arrest" you are not "required" to go down to the police station. You are free. That is why they say when they close the door for the "interview" that "you are free to leave whenever you want, you are not under arrest." jmo

If it is required to be interviewed, I really really want to know why they weren't. If they aren't "required" then why isn't everyone else?

yosande, William Tucker wrote an excellent article about this. I recommend it. I'll get it for you.

People aren't required to be interviewed by police. They have the right to refuse. If they are arrested, they have the right to refuse to be interviewed as well. Anyone, suspect or not, has the right to have a lawyer present whenever they speak to police. Actually, even if you are charged with a crime, you cannot be forced to answer questions. Your lawyer can prevent you from answering. We all know the Rs lawyers would not let them answer certain questions. However, you must answer questions asked by a Grand Jury without a lawyer present. If you refuse, you must invoke the 5th Amendment, which is pretty much an admission that you are involved in the crime in some way. And if under oath in a courtroom, you can be held in contempt if you refuse to answer questions. I believe you have the right to invoke the 5th Amendment and refuse to answer then, too, but you have to state that is the reason why you won't answer, and obviously, if you are saying you won't answer because your answer will incriminate you in the crime, well, there you go- it's like an admission of guilt.
Of course, an INNOCENT person would be anxious to be interviewed (and getting a lawyer is a prudent thing to do). Unlike the Rs who avoided it and finally, ONLY so they can say they did it, "agreed" to be interviewed.
That day, LE had the right to take the parents in for questioning, but the Rs did not have to answer.
The first sentence in the Miranda Rights, read to every person arrested, is "You have the right to remain silent".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back