Casey and "The Shack"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone read this book? "The Shack" I am in the process of reading it now. In the crime scene photos taken of Casey's bedroom, it shows an open closet/amoire and on the shelf is a copy of this book.
This book is a religious book about a child that is kidnapped and murdered.
It is also about God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
On pag. 125 of this book, there is a passage that reads...."It all sounds like THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS, that to get what you want you will go to any length, even if it costs the lives of billions of people."

Remember in Casey journal....she wrote "I hopethe end justifies the means???"

Anyway, I have only posted here a few times, but I just found this interesting.

Wow how weird. Some friends from church recommended this book, I just bought it yesterday at Border's. Guess I'll start reading it tonight! Somehow Casey doesn't strike me as the kind of girl to read inspirational books.

ibyounger,
Not to get into a religious discussion but KC's parents have been attending a Baptist church. Baptists (along with other Protestants & Evangelicals) do not believe that you have to perform 'good works' or that you must confess your sins to another person (priest). Protestants believe that you just need to accept Jesus Christ int your heart and confess your sins to Him in order to go to heaven since He is the only one that can forgive your sins, no man can. I am NOT trying to start a religious discussion, just trying to state that there are different beliefs within the Christian community and KC's family does not attend Catholic services (at least that I am aware of).

I agree, and was going to say the same thing, but was hesitant to get into a religious debate, we all have our own beliefs. BUT... if "good works" were all that were necessary for salvation, then Jesus died for no reason at all. We could all buy our way into heaven by just being good little boys and girls.

Just had to add my two cents, now I'll shut up before the storm starts...

I don't think this book was "given" to her unless it was AFTER they found Caylee MURDERED cos prior to that the story doesn't apply..KC was sitting in a jail cell so CA would've been the one to receive it..Knowing CA as we do after inspecting it from cover to cover she would've beaten the HELL out it with her bat just like she did the CROSS in Caylee's memory.

All of this is why I believe KC bought this book herself & read it prior to Caylee even going missing!

I was heartsick at hearing Cindy attacked the cross with a bat. When did this occur? Was it before Caylee's body was identified? If that is the case, I would think she was angry, in denial that Caylee was dead, not in anger at the One who died on the cross. It was the possibility of her granddaughter being dead that she was attacking with the bat. IMHO. Although I know that in extreme anguish, people do get angry at God.

I have read this book ( about 4 months ago). In fact while reading it I thought a lot about KC and Caylee.

Interesting to hear that there was actually this book in her home . I thought there were some things in the book that sounded like information is coming out.

In case some are going to go purchase the book I won't give away much, but I will say that when Caylees remains were found and the heart sticker mentioned, this is excatly when I thought perhaps KC read this book.

My conclusion was that part of this book was about forgiveness.

I hate to say this, but I also see Edgar Allen Poe,
Could these be how to do it, ideas?
Would you have to read the whole book for kc's
infamous phrases about the clothes,The End Justifies the Means,
kidnapping, forgiveness, or just a couple chapters?
In jail LE says kc reads ALLOT.........maybe she did read it cover to cover?

I need to read all these responses but what I know about "The Shack" is that it is a somewhat controversial FICTIONAL book. It is not a 'religious' book, it is Christian Fiction. It deals with the Trinity and how we look at God.

It was recommended to me to help me deal with grief/loss issues. I can't get past the first few pages because it is very moving.

My guess would be that KC was given this book after Caylee was reported missing by someone at a prayer vigil.

It is certainly possible that she was given the book after Caylee was reported missing. Does anyone know the date of this photo? I would think that if it was something she received recently, it would be at the top of the pile, not in the middle of the stack.

I was heartsick at hearing Cindy attacked the cross with a bat. When did this occur? Was it before Caylee's body was identified? If that is the case, I would think she was angry, in denial that Caylee was dead, not in anger at the One who died on the cross. It was the possibility of her granddaughter being dead that she was attacking with the bat. IMHO. Although I know that in extreme anguish, people do get angry at God.

It was a memorial cross someone placed in her yard and it was way before Caylee was found IIRC.

I agree with you that it was the possiblility of Caylee being dead that she was 'beating down"

It is certainly possible that she was given the book after Caylee was reported missing. Does anyone know the date of this photo? I would think that if it was something she received recently, it would be at the top of the pile, not in the middle of the stack.

That's what catches my eye...it's not like this is out in the open, it's stuffed in with a bunch of other of Casey's things. My gut tells me that this book was read by Casey before we knew about Caylee being missing. And probably before Caylee ever went missing.

The dress that was found in the book was found at the shack where Missy was supposedly murdered.
I bought this book when the pictures came out and read it. I really liked the book and it shows God a bit differently than what Catholics see him. More understanding and more like a Protestant may see him like another poster already posted. I thought there may be connections to the book but I honestly didn't see any - the ladybug is a stretch IMO.

I have a feeling that this may be the book that Michelle (?) dropped off at the jail but KC couldn't keep because it was against the rules. It would be fitting to give someone a book like this not because it is about murder but because it is about something tragic happening to a child and the parent doesn't understand how an everloving God would do this especially to a child. Something that I usually do is buy paperback because it is cheaper but this book that was in her closet was a hardcovered book and if I ever buy a hardcover it is to keep because I value it (or else it is on sale and cheaper than a soft cover) or to give as a gift. JMO

With regard to the bolded sentence, it was not Michelle, it was Cindy. The book she took to Casey was the Bible, not this one being discussed.

I believe that photo was taken during one of the two searches that were done after Caylee's remains were discovered on 12/11.

Very interesting find.

Although I think the Poe books would seem more fitting to Casey.. jmo.

In the book the muderer is a Serial Killer who killed other (I think 5?) little girls and left ladybug pins at the sight of the disapearance. In the story, the little girl, Missy, is coloring at a picnic table when she is kidnapped. The abductor left a ladybug pin nearby. It was not with the body.

It is not at all unusual for killers to leave a signature. It seems quite common.

I really can not see any parallels between the Caylee Anthoney case and this book.
But it is an interesting discussion, and very observant to notice the book on her shelf!

ibyounger,
Not to get into a religious discussion but KC's parents have been attending a Baptist church. Baptists (along with other Protestants & Evangelicals) do not believe that you have to perform 'good works' or that you must confess your sins to another person (priest). Protestants believe that you just need to accept Jesus Christ int your heart and confess your sins to Him in order to go to heaven since He is the only one that can forgive your sins, no man can. I am NOT trying to start a religious discussion, just trying to state that there are different beliefs within the Christian community and KC's family does not attend Catholic services (at least that I am aware of).

I understand those beliefs. I am questioning whether or not if she believes she is forgiven because she has accepted the Lord as her Savior and admitted this to him? Should we assume she has since evidently her parents have forgiven her?

Please explain to me how can one be forgiven if they can't claim or admit responsibility openly?

So if she admits this to God (unbeknownst to any man) do we all forgive her and love her nowas Jesus would? Are we sorry for her and understand lovingly that she is just "messed up?" I am just trying to understand. I do believe if we do not try to be good little girls and boys then Christ died for naught. It is the least I can do for all that he has done for me. Please I really want to forgive her..is some sins unforgivable.. are we only here to condemn her for her evilness? Can a murderer get to heaven? Ever? Are all murderers invited to heaven if they only admit to God their sin? I truly am interested in understanding this.. because I think it will help understand Casey.

I just do not see much love or forgiveness for Casey from the world. However, I think if she would have come clean at first, shown the police where she laid her baby in the woods it would be far easier for us to forgive her and not be so angry at her. So yes, man can forgive, IMO Source: Lord's prayer

From what I understand the book talks about forgivness. Should we do a poll to see how many of us forgive Casey? Do we need to forgive her for us to be forgiven?

Why as a Protestant would she wear a Rosary? While praying a rosary so much concentration goes into the Passion. If her Protestant faith was so strong why wear a Catholic religious item? Did she feel it gave her more credence to being a believer? I know I should not try to understand Casey.. but God works in mysterious ways.. is he trying to show us something through her?

I totally agree this should not be a religious discussion.. but I do think this line of thought plays a big part in how or why Miss Casey Anthony thinks she does not need to confess openly. How many of us would feel better if she just confessed?
Wouldn't it be a hoot though if she NEVER EVEN READ THE BOOK and I have the forgivness and religious aspects circling in my head for nothing??

Ok... I am done now.. do not try to beat me up.. just trying to understand how the book may have played an affect on her train of thought if she even read it at all.

I've read in various threads that Casey was an avid reader. I don't know how the heck she'd find the time to read anything other than text messages. Where did the "Casey is an avid reader" come from? Sorry if this has been covered in a gazillion threads, I'm just not buying it. IMO, Casey is dumb as a bag of hammers, and is as lazy as she is stupid. And that's plenty lazy. The book being discussed wasn't even out on her nightstand, or on the floor next to her bed. It was mushed into a cabinet along with a bunch of other random crap that she probably hadn't touched in ages. There was even a water bottle stuffed in there. I highly doubt that cabinet was accessed very frequently. It seems as if it was just stuffed full of things to get out of the way. Out of sight, out of mind.

I've read in various threads that Casey was an avid reader. I don't know how the heck she'd find the time to read anything other than text messages. Where did the "Casey is an avid reader" come from? Sorry if this has been covered in a gazillion threads, I'm just not buying it. IMO, Casey is dumb as a bag of hammers, and is as lazy as she is stupid. And that's plenty lazy. The book being discussed wasn't even out on her nightstand, or on the floor next to her bed. It was mushed into a cabinet along with a bunch of other random crap that she probably hadn't touched in ages. There was even a water bottle stuffed in there. I highly doubt that cabinet was accessed very frequently. It seems as if it was just stuffed full of things to get out of the way. Out of sight, out of mind.

Indeed. Random or staged--just like the plethora of Caylee photos put up in KC's room after she was taken into custody.

Edgar Allen Poe,

Rather dark. Is this girl a goth?

And when I saw this it made me laugh. I'm real old and remember when Poe was introduced to us in school ~ long, long before "goths" ever existed.

If Machiavelli was a woman...The End Justifies the Means

Princess Machiavelli:

"Princesses who set little store by their word but have known how to over-reach men by their cunning have accomplished great things, and in the end got the better of those who trusted to honest dealing. The princess must be a lion, but she must also know how to play the fox. She who wishes to deceive will never fail to find willing dupes. The princess, in short, ought not to quit good courses if she can help it, but should know how to follow evil courses if she must.

A Princess must avoid being despised as well as being hated; therefore courage, wisdom and strength must be apparent in all her actions. Against such a one conspiracy is difficult. That princess is wise who devolves on others those matters that entail responsibility, and may therefore make her odious either to the nobles or to the commons, but reserves to herself the matters that relate to grace and favour."

(From: "Of Maintaining a Princedom" by Prince Machiavelli, modified to suit gender)

Couldn't help thinking:
Sounds like the studious Anne Bolynn read this before she once again met up with King Henry and was then able to beguile him!

(of course, she was later ordered beheaded by him)

Remember the child's book that was mentioned in the beginning of this case, with the character "Zanny the Nanny"? I think it was a young adult's book that Casey had!

She is a person who lacks logic & reason, however one who has an (over)active imagination. Appears she gets much of her ideas from books, imo.

Snipped all previous for brevity's sake...
Why as a Protestant would she wear a Rosary? While praying a rosary so much concentration goes into the Passion. If her Protestant faith was so strong why wear a Catholic religious item? Did she feel it gave her more credence to being a believer? I know I should not try to understand Casey.. but God works in mysterious ways.. is he trying to show us something through her?

While my initial assumption was that the Anthony's were probably Roman Catholic from their heritage of Irish/Italian, I don't believe that they practiced any particular denomination of Christianity. I don't believe they practiced any religion. In all of the photographs of Casey and Lee as babies/children, there were no Baptismal, First Holy Communion, or Confirmation pictures. There were no Christening photos, or Promise Ring ceremonies. Nothing to indicate that there was any brand of any religion anywhere in that home. Which is cool.

How they, the family, after the tragedy of their missing granddaughter made it's way to the public, found the local Baptist congregation, I believe the Baptist minister came forward to offer comfort, support, guidance, etc. and that in turn is where they chose to find/express their faith and seek comfort for their loss.

As for the Rosary that Casey wore, well don't even get me started on that. Firstly, it's not a friggin' necklace. She wore it as if it was, ala Madonna. That just points out that she, Casey, has no idea of what the Rosary is used for nor the significance of using a Rosary during reflective prayer while focusing on the Holy Mysteries. It held no significance to her other than someone probably sent it/gave it to her and she thought it would look good with her stolen shades and jelly bracelets. That girl has no depth. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinicole93