Casey & Family Psychological Profile #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pray for George and Cindy and hope they survive this horrific true life nightmare. I can't imagine what they have gone thru.

For those that posted an answer to my question about tx of BPD, THANK YOU!!! Our daughter is 26 now and we have been dealing with this with Dr's since she was 8yrs old. I appreciate the info.

I wanted to add my two cents. I have researched BPD extensively due to having someone with the disorder in, and effecting, my life (my mother-in-law) and due to my job: I have had a few cases where child custody evaluations reveal the disorder in a parent.
The research has helped me so much in understanding this problem. Behavior that I was completely baffling to me was explained. One of the best books I found that indentified classic behaviors and the reasons behind them is Understand the Bordeline Mother by Christine Ann Lawson. It is incredible. It's a real easy read, no difficult terminology, with different sections and for anyone who has a person with BPD in their lives, it helps them not to feel insane. I highly recommend it.
But, initial research led me to believe that there is no hope. Later research tended to change that impression. Apparently, with consistent, frequent therapy, with a counselor that forces them to confront their behaviors and challenge those behaviors, there is hope. Medication, like tranquilizers and SRI's can help to stem some of the feelings that lead to the behaviors. For example, night rages which people with BPD sometimes have due to thoughts of persecution, injustice, guilt, lonliness, etc., that they cannot get rid of and cause them to suddenly burst in a rage, can be lessened with medications. Some therapies, I think OneLostGirl mentioned DBT, have shown success in treating patients with the disorder.
I don't like to give up hope for those who have psychological issues. I think that even if it is very hard, there may be ways to treat everyone, even if they cannot be cured. By the way, the book I mentioned above has fantastic strategies for dealing with the behaviors of people with BPD. For example, my mother-in-law has a habit of calling repeatedly, never wanting to hang up (that has to do with fear of abandonment), leaving lengthy and bizarre messages and calling very late at night despite repeated requests not to. If I have a case in the morning, a late night call can kill me. Well, I dealt with it by getting a special ring for her phone calls so that I know when she's calling and can decide whether or not to pick up. I also learned from the book to tell her that she cannot call past ten and whenever she does to answer and state, "I told you that you can't call past ten so I'm not going to talk to you. Call me tomorrow." and then I am supposed to hang up at once. If you do this enough, it trains the person on how to act. They know there will be no reward if they call after ten, so they stop. These calls have lessened. Now my problems is getting her to undersatand the difference between an emergency and non-emergency. Totally the boy who cried wolf scenario. It's tiring. Although I can usually tell from the messages because in the non emergencies, she uses a sing-song, childlike voice, like "I have a secret" or a tone a kid would use to indicate he has some very interesting gossip. It's always followed by "Call me". Example: "The doctor called. He needs to see me right away. Call me." Those calls are always nonsense. Anyhow, I think the book might be helpful for you to in dealing with your daughter. Good luck and don't give up hope!

Carry on:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72749"]Casey & Family Psychological Profile #5[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther