Casey's Body Language and Reactionary Comments#3

One thing Dr Glass says that I keep wondering about myself is what she calls kc's "ice face"

every time I see that face I think the same thing - nothing going on back there. It's better I guess than JB pulling faces like a child but kc almost doesn't look human in her lack of affect.

Did anybody catch JB on In Session this morning imploring Amy, if she still has any love for Casey, to accept her heartfelt apology? I nearly lost my breakfast.
Please Amy, please don't testify in the murder trial is what he wanted to say IMO.

:banghead: Baez never ceases to amaze me with how low he is willing to go.
Wouldn't that be considered indirect contact with Ms. H? Borderline harassment. Let the girl move on with her life. She's had enough of the head games and manipulation.

:banghead: Baez never ceases to amaze me with how low he is willing to go.
Wouldn't that be considered indirect contact with Ms. H? Borderline harassment. Let the girl move on with her life. She's had enough of the head games and manipulation.

this comment by baez reminded me of nancy garrido's new 'attorney' last week when he said that nancy wanted to talk to jaycee and the girls and tell them how much she 'loves and misses' them. give me a freaking break. attorneys will stoop to anything if they think they can gain an adavantage for the client (or themselves)>

If you want a really quick example of how body language works and how important it is to your overall communication here is a really easy experiment for you.

Next time you are out to eat and the waiter/waitress asks if you would like a refill simply say yes and hold your hand out by your glass in a stop like motion in front of your glass and watch what they do.

Understanding just the basics of body language and you can really mess with people. All in good fun of course.

Dr. Glass does have some credentials to back up her opinion...

http://www.drlillianglass.com/biography/

"After receiving her Ph.D. QUOTE]

Thanks for letting us know what her "Dr." refers to. I figured she must be a Ph.D. but didn't know because her name was only listed on her column as "Dr Lillian Glass" rather than Lillian Glass, Ph.D. The bio I read also said she was a body language "therapist" (the quotes were actually used in the bio, I didn't add them! ha ha) so I didn't know what sort of degree she had exactly.

Very, very subjective field. It still surprises me to see her state her interpretations as if they were facts. And makes me laugh, I'm sorry.

to be honest, do we really need someone with a ph'd to tell us whats going thru that womans head?
i think we've pretty much got that figured out already.

"After receiving her Ph.D........"

Thanks for letting us know what her "Dr." refers to. I figured she must be a Ph.D. Wasn't sure because her name was only listed on her column as "Dr Lillian Glass" rather than Lillian Glass, Ph.D. The bio I read also said she was a body language "therapist" (the quotes were actually used in the bio, I didn't add them) so I didn't know what sort of degree she had.

It still surprises me to see her state her interpretations as if they were facts. And makes me laugh a little, I'm sorry. Also, for a professional to publish an evaluation like that without having even met the subject is odd. But it is entertaining, and that's what she's writing for there, entertainment.

Thanks for letting us know what her "Dr." refers to. I figured she must be a Ph.D. Wasn't sure because her name was only listed on her column as "Dr Lillian Glass" rather than Lillian Glass, Ph.D. The bio I read also said she was a body language "therapist" (the quotes were actually used in the bio, I didn't add them) so I didn't know what sort of degree she had.

It still surprises me to see her state her interpretations as if they were facts. And makes me laugh a little, I'm sorry. Also, for a professional to publish an evaluation like that without having even met the subject is odd. But it is entertaining, and that's what she's writing for there, entertainment.

Well...I guess it COULD be considered entertainment by some...but you can bet your sweet bippy that Little Miss KC has many, many lessons on body language. She was almost sitting on her hands yesterday to keep from stroking her hair and fidgeting with her hands......I know that didn't come natural to her.

to be honest, do we really need someone with a ph'd to tell us whats going thru that womans head?

very true

Dr. Glass's "assessment" seems to follow pretty much along the popular spin that's been in the media, i.e. Casey as narcissist, guilty, deceptive, etc.

Not that Casey couldn't be guilty or anything like that, she could be guilty, but if you take a video of any person you can find a frame where they're doing an "ice face" etc.

I agree with Dr. Glass on several points (in general, not necessarily in every case or this one but in general). MOO.

Lots of what she said we've said before here, haven't we? :)

It's a little shocking to me to see a professional publish assessments about a person like that, basically saying they are guilty, before that person has had a trial. I mean, if it were me I would be really concerned about potentially calling an innocent person guilty of murder. But that's just me.

I believe the statements she made are based upon knowledge gained through her completion of specialized education and training with an emphasis on interpretation of body language. One does not need to meet a "subject" in person in order to identify specific behaviors and to interpret their "meaning". They only need documentation that includes video and sound.

I don't consider statements made by Dr. Glass to qualify as an examination in the medical sense.....rather an assessment made based upon observations. Many attorneys have weighed in on their interpretation of the KC case. To my knowledge few of those lawyers have met her in person. Should we expect that if Dr. Glass sat face to face with KC that there would be a different interpretation?

very true

Dr. Glass's "assessment" seems to follow pretty much along the popular spin that's been in the media, i.e. Casey as narcissist, guilty, deceptive, etc.

Not that Casey couldn't be guilty or anything like that, she could be guilty, but if you take a video of any person you can find a frame where they're doing an "ice face" etc.

I agree with Dr. Glass on several points (in general, not necessarily in every case or this one but in general). MOO.

Lots of what she said we've said before here, haven't we? :)

i think casey is a sociopath but she's not a very good one. sociopaths can turn on the waterworks like she tried to, but they are usually smart enough to not smile and start laughing while people are still watching they're 'remorse'.

Dr. Lillian Glass is well respected in her field, and more often right than wrong. She's been a guest on Bill O'Reilly commenting on speeches made by politicians or celebrities, and has often pinpointed something that that later turns out to be fact.

In this case, I think her analysis of Casey Anthony is right on target. Most of us here were already picking up on Casey's fake tears and her phony apology.

One thing that Dr. Glass stated is that Casey was excited. When I look at the still pictures from yesterday's hearing, it's easy to see that she was excited. This was HER moment in the spotlight.......not a lot of attorneys speaking. She was going to get to speak directly to the judge and the court room, and via camera to the world beyond, and she had rehearsed the lines she was given and knew them by heart.

Sociopaths seek attention and are excited to be the center of attention, whether it's positive attention or negative attention. They are equally excited for doing something good or doing something bad.

I think Dr. Glass has also got a good handle on Cindy and George. Of the two of them, George's emotions are much more real and heartfelt, whereas Cindy is more like Casey. I think Cindy's tears are more for herself. Her daughter is now a convicted felon. It doesn't do much to help the image she tries to project of a perfectly normal family.

"After receiving her Ph.D. QUOTE]

Thanks for letting us know what her "Dr." refers to. I figured she must be a Ph.D. but didn't know because her name was only listed on her column as "Dr Lillian Glass" rather than Lillian Glass, Ph.D. The bio I read also said she was a body language "therapist" (the quotes were actually used in the bio, I didn't add them! ha ha) so I didn't know what sort of degree she had exactly.

Very, very subjective field. It still surprises me to see her state her interpretations as if they were facts. And makes me laugh, I'm sorry.

Well one could seriously argue the entire field of psychology is subjective. However subject it is there are still principles that are derived from scientific study and based on probability.

So yes behavioral science and they study of body language isn't exact but Dr. Glass' assessment is based on previous study and deductions with a high probability.

For example try saying "yes" and nodding your head "no" and see how awkward it feels, or looks in the mirror. Yes this is simplistic but it's the basics of what Dr. Glass is talking about. The knowledge of behavior in a trained professional makes it much less subjective I would argue.

Also I believe Dr. Glass is both a Ph.D and an MD from reading her biography.

Also I believe Dr. Glass is both a Ph.D and an MD from reading her biography.

She has an impressive background, and I certainly wouldn't classify her studies of body language as "entertainment." As I mentioned, she's often called upon to interpret the body language of a celebrity or someone in the news, and sometimes she'll see something that indicates the person is lying or withholding information. Later, it will become known that she was correct in her observations, as it's revealed that the subject was in fact lying.

I remember that sometime ago she observed the body language of former presidential contender, John Edwards talk about his alleged mistress. Dr. Glass said he was lying about his relationship, and of course it was later revealed that not only did John Edwards have a mistress, but he also fathered a child with her. This is just an example of some of her work.

Dr. Lillian Glass is well respected in her field, and more often right than wrong. She's been a guest on Bill O'Reilly commenting on speeches made by politicians or celebrities, and has often pinpointed something that that later turns out to be fact.

In this case, I think her analysis of Casey Anthony is right on target. Most of us here were already picking up on Casey's fake tears and her phony apology.

One thing that Dr. Glass stated is that Casey was excited. When I look at the still pictures from yesterday's hearing, it's easy to see that she was excited. This was HER moment in the spotlight.......not a lot of attorneys speaking. She was going to get to speak directly to the judge and the court room, and via camera to the world beyond, and she had rehearsed the lines she was given and knew them by heart.

Sociopaths seek attention and are excited to be the center of attention, whether it's positive attention or negative attention. They are equally excited for doing something good or doing something bad.

I think Dr. Glass has also got a good handle on Cindy and George. Of the two of them, George's emotions are much more real and heartfelt, whereas Cindy is more like Casey. I think Cindy's tears are more for herself. Her daughter is now a convicted felon. It doesn't do much to help the image she tries to project of a perfectly normal family.
:dance:ITA!! I would love to know what she thinks of GA. There's something just not right about him :waitasec:.... but that's a whole 'nuther topic....

Anyway.... you are right on target in what you say about KC!

Based on the fact that Dr. Glass is a professional I would be willing to bet she is right on the money with the body language. Her interpretations are just that, interpretations at what we all see as a fact, which would be KC's body language. Spoken words are only part of what we take in when we make contact with people. The majority is body language and what we know and what we feel is going on with the person. I would say for the most part LE officers are usually pretty good at body language. We all learn it subconsciously, it's just that some of us are better at interpretations than others. In Dr. Glass' case, she is a well known professional in that field. JMO

I agree about LE officers, I think most of them (experienced LE) are probably very perceptive and observant about body language.

Yes, there is lots of research in communication (including nonverbal communication) which is scientific, don't get me wrong. (My background is in language and my mom was a teacher of the deaf, and I have had personal experience with people who have brain injuries affecting communication, I'm reasonably aware regarding language/communication, etc. However, offering an assessment of a person one has seen on TV, a person the professional has never even met much less evaluated in any professional capacity, and a person one has heard a lot of spin about, I don't consider that all that scientific. It's one thing for us to just discuss our personal interpretations of the defendant's body language (which I do find interesting, too), but it's something else to state interpretations as fact, much less for a professional to do so in the national media....
There are lots of "experts" out there who like to pretend there are actual specific "meanings" to various gestures, etc, which they will rattle off. I don't consider that very scientific. Nonverbal communication is highly dependent on culture, context, and varies among individuals and in the end, people will vary in how they interpret another person's body language, there is culture, context, personal experience, etc on the receiving end as well.

As you say, we all do interpret body language all the time. It's such a big part of communication that some people who have cognitive disorders where they can't pick up on nonverbal cues can be very disabled by it.

I'm middle aged so I'm pretty familiar by now with most of the "meanings" popularly assigned to various gestures, etc. (It was very popular back in the '70s, or at least I remember hearing and reading about it back then as a child and being enthralled with it.) Personally I do agree with many things that Dr. Glass said in general. For example, the raised register of a voice, cracking voice, raising of the eybrows, etc, those are usually considered to be hallmarks of deception-- and I have seen cases where I thought exactly the same thing about these. :) MOO

For those who thought yesterday was the first emotional out pour we have seen from Casey yet (and believe me, she almost had me fooled once until I rewound and focused on her reaction), I urge you to watch her apology again.

First of all, she clenches her jaw a lot. Then as she speaks her "apologetic" words her mouth is very tight she sticks her chin out and jerks her head back defiantly, raises her eyebrow, widens her eyes and blink rapidly, but most importantly she begins her speech with "I just wanted to let everyone know..." :waitasec: Really Casey? Shouldn't you be more concerned with your immediate group and the hell you have put them through?

That to me, just further shows she is putting on a show for "everyone". Little Miss TV star. She even addressed Amy after Judge Strickland had told her she was not to have any direct or indirect contact with Amy :banghead:

Then there were the tears she tried to squeeze out again :snooty:
As she says; "sincerely" she has already begun swiping at the phony tears subconsciously. She clenches her jaw and responds with "no" composed when his honor thanks her and asks her if there is anything is. As usual once she is given attention and a tissue, she tries even harder to force the water works.

It is very odd the way she raises her hands to her face mimicking something like I have seen George do every time she becomes "emotional" and the way she wipes her tears, something I have seen from Cindy.
The only difference, Casey seems very ritualistic and over does it. 3 minutes and 40ish seconds of Casey blotting with that tissue Andrea handed her. :crazy:

The fact that she sits down and giggles while she says something to Jose is yet even more disturbing

bbm~

I absolutely agree with your whole post Eidetic!

The 'tissue' thing fascinates me for some reason. I guess because it just is SO odd imo and the fact that both Cindy and KC do it everytime.

Also because I have no doubt that Cindy is among us, :sick: I can see her reading the discussion regarding it and it makes me imagine her trying her best NOT to do it in front of the cameras. JMHO tho..

bbm~

I absolutely agree with your whole post Eidetic!

The 'tissue' thing fascinates me for some reason. I guess because it just is SO odd imo and the fact that both Cindy and KC do it everytime.

Also because I have no doubt that Cindy is among us, :sick: I can see her reading the discussion regarding it and it makes me imagine her trying her best NOT to do it in front of the cameras. JMHO tho..

is cyndy really reading this?
i meant every word cyndy <<<sticks out tounge>>>

For example try saying "yes" and nodding your head "no" and see how awkward it feels, or looks in the mirror. Yes this is simplistic but it's the basics of what Dr. Glass is talking about. The knowledge of behavior in a trained professional makes it much less subjective I would argue.

I enjoy her interpretations but they're not new or anything, IMO. I've heard the exact same interpretations of the gestures she mentions for many years and most of them are just common knowledge anyway or would be interpretations shared by most people in our dominant culture, IMO.

Regarding the "yes" while giving the "no" head shake: (Well, in some cultures people do move the head in a "no" motion while saying "yes". And we (mainstream U.S. /English speaking culture) even use this combination in some cases. The back and forth head shake can connote exasperation while giving an affirmative answer, for example. The side to side head shake while saying "yes" can even be emphatic, meaning "absolutely". You know? Just try saying an emphatic "absolutely!". Did your head go side to side (maybe your head is saying "there's no doubt"?)

But I know what you mean. Generally the "no" head shake while saying "yes" is considered in our popular culture to be a "tell" (by me as much as by anyone else). :)

Heartfelt apology---that's ridiculous, JB lives in the same fantasy world Casey does if he thinks the public believes her apology was sincere. Casey could have called or sent a letter to Amy a long time ago begging for her forgiveness. Apologizing in public in front of the judge in order to get a lighter sentence or invoke public sympathy is not a sincere apology. She did a heck of a lot more to Amy than steal money. Amy was a good friend to her and in return she got nothing but lies and betrayal. I'm not a psychiatrist but I have an idea Amy will have lasting affects from her association with Casey. I thought Casey's little speech was a slap in the face to Amy and minimized what she did to her. She used and abused Amy. She tried to stall the check fraud case until after the murder trial, leaving Amy in limbo for years. Casey couldn't care less about Amy or anyone else for that matter.

ITA! Amy had no comment for WESH when they called asking. JB also offered Amy could contact his office with messages for Casey. Somehow I don't think SS had that in mind when he ordered KC have no contact with her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lcd115
Back