CDC: 107 people on TB flights need tests

http://www.ajc.com/services/content..._speaker_cdc.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=13

An Atlanta lawyer who was misdiagnosed with a severe strain of tuberculosis, when he had a more treatable form, has sued the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for invasion of privacy.

“They had no right to stand up and talk about my private medical information,” Speaker said...

he has filed Freedom of Information Act requests with the CDC to get his test results. But the CDC has not turned the information over, he said.

“The only way for me to get that information is through discovery — through a lawsuit,” Speaker said.

I believe he brought that all on himself. He should never have gotten on a plane knowing he was contagious. It doesn't matter to me if it wasn't as dangerous as first thought. Speaker intentionally put other people in danger. IMO

I believe he brought that all on himself. He should never have gotten on a plane knowing he was contagious. It doesn't matter to me if it wasn't as dangerous as first thought. Speaker intentionally put other people in danger. IMO

I thought so too until reading more about how lightly they had taken his exposure to others (including relations with his then-fiancee) up to this point and the funding issue.

Regardless, no one should have to file a lawsuit to get their own medical records. That is a huge red flag for me right there, to borrow a favorite phrase from Cindy Anthony.

I thought this was interesting and relevant in light of the Swine Flu cases.

If you were in Mexico and had a fever, would you delay your trip home to spare others possibly getting ill, or would you hop on the fastest plane to the best treatment available? What if you had no fever, just some stomach discomfort that could easily be the water you drank or too much tequila? What if a doctor said you were contagious but you had no symptoms at all and felt completely fine?

And what if staying in Mexico meant a high risk of death, but getting home to the US was your only chance of treatment?

Can't type much because I'm on my phone but thanks for these fascinating updates, angel. I was deeply suspicious of the CDC when this case came into the public eye and these articles confirm some of those suspicions. I wish Speaker Godspeed in his lawsuit. The fact that he has to sue for his records is appalling.

http://www.ajc.com/health/judge-dismisses-andrew-speaker-211263.html?cxtype=rss_news_81960

A U.S. District Court judge has dismissed a lawsuit against the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention filed by an Atlanta lawyer who claimed the agency invaded his privacy.

The lawsuit stemmed from a high-profile case involving Andrew Speaker, who alleged the federal agency divulged private medical information during a tuberculosis scare in 2007. The lawsuit sought unspecified damages and attorney's fees.

But Judge William S. Duffey Jr. ruled Speaker failed to provide specific, material facts to support the lawsuit proceeding.

The lawsuit alleged that details of Speaker's medical history were unlawfully released as well as his alleged condition, details of his wedding and his identity, "none of which needed to be released to the general public in order to accomplish any legitimate public health purpose."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back