Cell Phones and LISK

Excerpt: When LISK was with Melissa Barthelemy she must have snapped a picture of him or something that made him change things a little and that's why the next victims were told not to bring their phones with them. Either that or after killing Melissa when going through her phone he found a picture of himself or incriminating evidence.

His taunting phone calls to Melissa's sister became a 2009 news story in her hometown of Buffalo (long before the bodies were discovered). There may have been news agencies or radio stations that picked up that story in Long Island -- I don't know. But it sure makes sense if he did know about the story because then he knew Melissa's phone records yielded info on his whereabouts (Times Square, etc) -- which is why he took caution and, in 2010, insisted Megan and Amber not bring their phones. However, not having Megan's phone didn't stop LISK from calling her mom, Lorraine Ela, at her work and pretending to be a NYPD officer wondering if she'd filed a MP report. Question is: Did he find out Lorraine's name from the Nov 2010 Long Island Press article on Megan's disappearance and do some online research on her? Or, did he know about Lorraine and where she worked from having multiple dates with Megan spanning many months? Or, did he access Megan's phone from a previous date and learn her mom's work number (which means he had a purpose in getting it)?

Excerpt:
A few weeks later there came a break in the case. Investigators discovered that Brainard-Barnes' cellphone was apparently turned on, near Fire Island off Long Island, about three weeks after she went missing, Cann said. A Long Island connection had been made.

Hartford Courant

So, then -- if the Fire Island ping was "about three weeks" from July 9/10 it wasn't in 2008... it was in late July or August 2007. Much more accurate than anything I've read so far. Good find, shadowraiths!

His taunting phone calls to Melissa's sister became a 2009 news story in her hometown of Buffalo (long before the bodies were discovered). There may have been news agencies or radio stations that picked up that story in Long Island -- I don't know. But it sure makes sense if he did know about the story because then he knew Melissa's phone records yielded info on his whereabouts (Times Square, etc) -- which is why he took caution and, in 2010, insisted Megan and Amber not bring their phones. However, not having Megan's phone didn't stop LISK from calling her mom, Lorraine Ela, at her work and pretending to be a NYPD officer wondering if she'd filed a MP report. Question is: Did he find out Lorraine's name from the Nov 2010 Long Island Press article on Megan's disappearance and do some online research on her? Or, did he know about Lorraine and where she worked from having multiple dates with Megan spanning many months? Or, did he access Megan's phone from a previous date and learn her mom's work number (which means he had a purpose in getting it)?

This is the first I've ever heard about LISK calling Megan W's mother... to me, that is significant, just as you point out... same things I'm wondering... how did he know who she was, get her number etc... one thing that comes to mind... as you mention the ways he may have gotten the information, Megan's phone, online... also, curious as to any connections within the SK Police dept.... someone there could access a lot of info on someone... just a thought...

I don't think it's that complicated. Two of them brought their phones and two didn't. The ones who did he taunted their family. I wonder if he couldn't resist those urges to do that so he requested they don't bring their phones. I know it's easy to get caught up in in depth possibilities. But I think this is much more simple than people are aware of.

I don't think it's that complicated. Two of them brought their phones and two didn't. The ones who did he taunted their family. I wonder if he couldn't resist those urges to do that so he requested they don't bring their phones. I know it's easy to get caught up in in depth possibilities. But I think this is much more simple than people are aware of.

Respectfully disagree. Their cell phones were their lifeline -- and they left them intentionally. Not so simple.

Respectfully disagree. Their cell phones were their lifeline -- and they left them intentionally. Not so simple.

The one's male roommate specifically told her he wanted her to take a phone... she specifically told him... "No, that's not what he wants"... the other was well known to be attached to her cell phone, her mother even commented... it would have taken someone she'd talked with some number of times.... he lured them both with $1,000 & 1,500.... that's a big deal, for one night or even hours... the fact that he somehow got them to leave their phones and other stuff... and, how he did it... is a pretty big deal...

You are :welcome: I_cant_always_sleep.​

Makes sense to me. Thank you for joining Websleuths and participating in the discussion. I look forward more of your thoughts.

Agreed as well, Neptune. It stands to reason that some level of enticement and coercion may have been applied to get them to leave their vestiges of safety behind.

Just a fanciful thought, but maybe the perp presented himself as a wealthy understanding "john" like the character played by Richard Gere in the movie " Pretty Woman "?
As in, "Leave your phone and everything at home and I will take you shopping and buy you all new things, that way you have a phone to exclusively receive calls from me."
speculation.

Just a fanciful thought, but maybe the perp presented himself as a wealthy understanding "john" like the character played by Richard Gere in the movie " Pretty Woman "?
As in, "Leave your phone and everything at home and I will take you shopping and buy you all new things, that way you have a phone to exclusively receive calls from me."
speculation.

Following your thought, dotr, in "The Killing Season", one of the victims, was said to have been in touch with her sister from the bus station, but that she never arrived. What if he showed up right there, seemingly by chance, and offered her a ride home in a re-assuring way, already having stalked her routine of going home on weekends? Speculation too.

Following your thought, dotr, in "The Killing Season", one of the victims, was said to have been in touch with her sister from the bus station, but that she never arrived. What if he showed up right there, seemingly by chance, and offered her a ride home in a re-assuring way, already having stalked her routine of going home on weekends? Speculation too.

If he pointed out a high end car or even a limo, she might well have readily gone with him, assuming he was trustworthy.

If he pointed out a high end car or even a limo, she might well have readily gone with him, assuming he was trustworthy.

I imagine, if that was the case, that he would have gone to some trouble of building up a level of trust required for just that moment of catching her from where she couldn't be traced.

Hello All
One thing that has bothered me is that he knew all of there real names? As far as I know working girls don't use there real names they give the tricks AKA's "Cherry, Candy, Heaven....ect" what have you....Maybe he wasn't a trick but someone they knew personally and that's how he got them to let their guard down and leave there phones. He could have arranged to hang with them while having someone set up a date for them right after he saw them to have everyone think they were on a date with someone they were contacted by on craigslist, maybe he even agreed to drive them to this date and bring them back allowing them to use his phone to make arrangements that way no phone records on the girls cell phones. Just a thought

It could be that these women had previous encounters with him. They may have even thought they knew him well or felt comfortable with him. So if he requested to not bring their phone for whatever reason, they felt they could possibly trust him. I am even curious to if he may have even told them they would be searched by whomever to make sure they did not have a cell phone in their possession just so they wouldn't bring the cell phone and just have it powered off. I definitely think there would have to have been a large amount of money offered to them to entice them. Also, cell phones can be tracked, so he requested them not to bring them so protect and cover up his tracks.

Could it be possible since only 2 of them left their cell phones, that they thought they were just running out the door to chat with him? I wonder if possibly the phones were charging inside and they thought since they would only be out for a few seconds it was ok to leave them inside. They had to have been familiar with him.

speculation.

Similar to what I’ve been thinking… the two that he got to leave their cell phones (Amber & Megan) are also two that we’re able to know that they’d each spoken w/someone else after speaking with him and told someone that he’d offered $1000 & $1500, respectively… so, that could be a pretty big deal for one night or even a few hours… he also could have been telling them that he may well become a ‘regular’ customer… a lot of working women have ‘regular’ customers, and he could have led them to think that he may be interested in seeing them once every two or three weeks and that $1000 or $1500 isn’t unusual for him… in other words, just letting them think that they were meeting w/someone who can become a big source of good, somewhat easy, steady income for them… that he was a wealthy guy, liked to party, and didn’t mind spending a lot of money…

Amber had the male room mate, who said that the guy kept calling, a number of times, (it occurred to me that he may have been calling her over a period of days), so, I’m thinking he really worked on them to get them to leave their phones behind… he (the roommate) said he tried to talk her into taking her phone, but, she said… “no, that’s not
what he wants”…

Megan is the one that her mother was adamant that it would only be something really rare for her to not take her phone, she said, she believes that Megan must have met him at least 5 or 6 times, to get her to do that… and, we know from Amber’s roommate that the guy had called Amber a number of times, prior to their meeting… I believe that although Megan’s mother thinks she must have met him 5 or 6 times, that, talking with him a number of times, possibly over a few days, may have done the same thing…

So, I just think that he worked pretty hard, contacting them over some period of time… had a good story… made them feel comfortable that he as a decent person to talk with and be around… and that he had and liked spending a lot of money… so, when he says… it’s just the way I like to do things… leave your cell and your stuff at home… you won’t need it… also, he could have told them that he’d had too many occasions when he’d be with a woman, and she’d be taking cell calls while they were having their time together, or that whenever he’d walk out of the room to go to the bathroom or get a drink or something, that he’d come back to the room, and they’d be scrolling through their phones, or texting or something, and he just found it a very annoying thing…

Here's what I think:
When LISK was with Melissa Barthelemy she must have snapped a picture of him or something that made him change things a little and that's why the next victims were told not to bring their phones with them. Either that or after killing Melissa when going through her phone he found a picture of himself or incriminating evidence.

The fact that he was trying to check Maureen Bainard-Barnes' voicemail tells me he was nervous about something. Why else would he be so interested about what's on there? Maybe he had left a voicemail on there that he wanted erased so that the police couldn't hear what he sounded like or know what his tactics are. I believe tracing back Maureen's phone will give the most clues. Plus, if LISK is only responsive for the GB4 then it's very possible Maureen was his first victim, and that means that's where any mistakes would be found. That's when he was most bold and stupid. Maureen Brainard-Barnes is the key to it all in my opinion.

Actually the next victim (that we know of) after Melissa Barthelemy was Shannon Gilbert, (almost one year later) and we know Shannon had her phone (the 23 min call to 911 that has NEVER been released) I am pretty sure the lisk crew did NOT want a repeat of the 23 min phone call. Plus we all know Peter Hackett has a problem keeping his hands off cell phones (hence the calls to the dead victims relatives). Pretty sure the crooked SCPD cops had a few fires to put out thanks to Shannan's 23 min phone call to 911.

There are a few things that I can’t get past about Dr Peter Hackett… saying that… the more I learn, I’m not always able to keep him foremost in mind as a prime person of interest… but, given the circumstances of Oak/Gilgo Beach, that night and general circumstances, I really think that every thing about his involvement needs to be clarified… among other things…

It hit me that when Dr Hackett told Shannan’s mom that “he had a home for wayward girls…” that this is a somewhat similar mentality to what the other victim’s (Melissa Bartholemy) sister was told that her sister was “at a whorehouse in Queens”… just denigrating the victim, to the victim’s family, and telling the victim’s family that she had been someplace, where he knew that she had not… he asked Shannan’s mother… “Do you know where Shannan is… is she home”… he said “she came to him and he treated her with medication”… I wonder when he called Melissa’s sister, or the friend of Maureen B-B, whether LISK ever asked either, or both, ‘do you know where your sister/friend is’… Hackett had no reason to call Shannan’s mother… how did he even know who she was… he’s not even a part of the known circumstances of the night she went missing… only Joseph Brewer, Michael Pak and the neighbor Gus Colletti… so, Hackett had no reason to know who Shannan was… her story, whether she had been working as a sex worker, whether she was known to have appeared to be troubled on that night, or, that she had been out there and went missing on May 1st… unless he spoke with Joseph Brewer, to some extent, or possibly learning from the Suffolk County Police dept, where he worked… which should be checked out… what did Brewer tell him… what did he learn from the SCPD, from who, and why… also, he had no way to even know who Shannan’s mother was, or to get her phone number… very possibly he got it from Shannan’s phone, which probably had a speed-dial for “Mom”… or something like that… (same as with the other victims, where one, he called her sister, and the other he called her best friend)… That all needs to be looked into and clarified… what did he know about Shannan, and how did he learn this… What did he learn from Brewer/SCPD… if he says that Shannan gave him her mom’s number, then, he’s saying that he was with her on that evening when she was out at the beach, and went missing… needs to be followed up…

It’s ******** that the county refuses to make the 911 call public…

There’s so much to this story… but, the circumstances of the night she went missing have to be clarified and stories verified… this has been a bunch of crap… so is the story about Shannan ran out of her clothes and died of exposure… with her close on one side of Hackett’s house and her body on the other… I hope the FBI is taking this seriously, because, the locals are really bogus… Dr Hackett had been a physician for the Suffolk County police… that really raises questions as well… Personally, I question what we hear from that former commissioner who came up with the story about Shannan losing her clothes and dying of exposure…

When asked (in what looks like a news interview) if he had medicated her, etc… he says “No”… then asked what he thinks when he hears about that… he says “it’s painful, it’s hurtful”… that’s completely sociopathic, he says that as if he’s the one that’s been pained and hurt… whereas he knew all along that he had in fact made the call, and the only reason for that call was to torment the victim’s mother… I’m guessing that at the time of that interview, the police had not yet proven that he had in fact made the call… there is absolutely no reason for him to have made that call… and, the nature of the call was not whatsoever to comfort Shannan’s mother… and it needs to be verified, how much he knew about Shannan, how he knew who her mother was and got her phone number… Knowing that he made the call to Shannan’s mother, and that it wasn’t proven for a year, he was still holding that it hadn’t happened… and, the fact that he knew the truth, that he had made that call… all… his responses, in videoed interviews that I’ve seen… his response is really sociopathic, and somewhat sadistic… Suffolk county saying that they looked into him and he’s been dismissed is bogus… especially interesting knowing that he worked for the police dept…

The way the police have it... Shannan wasn't a murder... therefore, there's no suspect... no investigation...

Sorry about the length of the post...

I agree, I just can't get past Dr H for those very reasons. The things he allegedly said are on par with the things LISK said to others. The timing was way too soon after she went missing. There's no good reason why he would a) know who Shannan was, b) know her real name and c) know her mother's contact information. His refusal to tell the truth about even calling her until confronted with hard evidence via phone records just cinched it for me. I can't get past him. I just can't.

I don't care if he loves drama, there's no reason for him to have all that information, especially so soon after she went missing. I still think he's involved in at least her disappearance, if not the rest.

VIP and drug parties bring me right back to Dr Haskett....
Based upon what facts??

Show me one shred of evidence that there ever was a single party at CPH's home or that CPH has ever attended a party at another OBA resident's home?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim
Back