Cheryl Hodges Dunlap, 46, Crawfordville FL *merged threads*

I vote that one piece of evidence is that purse the 911 caller saw Hilton throw away.

The main suspect in Cheryl Dunlap's murder case is behind bars but his driving record in Florida has one man concerned.

Sal Secondo worked at the Florida department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. On a whim he entered accused killer Gary Hilton's name and birthday into their database.

And he says what he found compelled him to speak out. Secondo says, "I felt a moral obligation, I really felt a sense of moral obligation."

Rightful whistleblower or abuse of discretion? Fired, nonetheless. . .

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/13921487.html

The main suspect in Cheryl Dunlap's murder case is behind bars but his driving record in Florida has one man concerned.

Sal Secondo worked at the Florida department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. On a whim he entered accused killer Gary Hilton's name and birthday into their database.

And he says what he found compelled him to speak out. Secondo says, "I felt a moral obligation, I really felt a sense of moral obligation."

Rightful whistleblower or abuse of discretion? Fired, nonetheless. . .

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/13921487.html

That man should get his job back and get promoted, IMO. I agree that the ball has been dropped many times because this guy was not under the radar at all. He should have gotten caught much sooner.

That man should get his job back and get promoted, IMO. I agree that the ball has been dropped many times because this guy was not under the radar at all. He should have gotten caught much sooner.

My opinion too, although I understand not frivolously searching people out just because you can.

This hit home with me. I had a time with someone who decided to paroose things of mine just because they could, in their job capacity. I reported them and nothing came of it, which really stunk. However, my name wasn't splashed on the front pages related to murder. It was a custody case that they had an "interest" in.

This is totally different to me. . . . and very after the fact of thinking this was a normal citizen he was checking on. I think this guy just got fired because he pointed out the obvious and egged the investigators. No different to me than searching online databases for your local SO's.

My opinion too, although I understand not frivolously searching people out just because you can.

This hit home with me. I had a time with someone who decided to paroose things of mine just because they could, in their job capacity. I reported them and nothing came of it, which really stunk. However, my name wasn't splashed on the front pages related to murder. It was a custody case that they had an "interest" in.

This is totally different to me. . . . and very after the fact of thinking this was a normal citizen he was checking on. I think this guy just got fired because he pointed out the obvious and egged the investigators. No different to me than searching online databases for your local SO's.

I see what you mean. When I was much younger I worked at a bank where we had a couple of famous costumers and I was very curious about their balances, and while I never told anyone what the balances were, it was very tempting.

What this man did was illegal in most states...it flies in the face of the privacy act. He is lucky he only lost his job.

What this man did was illegal in most states...it flies in the face of the privacy act. He is lucky he only lost his job.

If you mean the Driver Privacy Protection Act, it really doesn't do all that much. Basically, it protects against giving out private information like Social Security and Drivers License numbers to mailing lists and the like. And it doesn't consider "vehicular crashes, driving violations, and driver's status" as private information that needs to be kept secret - so the fact that Hilton had a license suspended is specifically not protected under the DPPA.

Meanwhile, private investigators, tow truck companies and insurance agents, as well as government agencies, all have access to the database, if they can prove probable cause.

So a P.I. could have asked Sal Secondo for the information, and would have gotten it, but Sal can't look for it himself...

Our officers have laptops that connect directly to our database and give you license information. I believe they should run a query whenever they stop someone, that's what it is there for.

As for the employee of Highway Safety - we are told during orientation, and again each time we log onto our computers that the information is of private nature for a reason and we will be fired if we use it for any purpose other than our job. He had to know he'd lose his job.

I really hope they have taken DNA samples from Dandy also, as that may be on potential evidence. Dog DNA is valid in court now. Those of us who are dog owners, know how they can shed.

State Attorney Willie Meggs said the news (of Hilton's Guilty Plea) "doesn't affect us."
"We will continue working our case down here," Meggs said.
When asked if he's coordinating with prosecutors in North Carolina to file charges against Hilton, Meggs said, "We're talking, as we have been for weeks."
He said charges will be filed against Hilton in Dunlap's death "when we get done investigating and have sufficient evidence," but he declined to say when that would be.

Tallahassee Democrat

It was great to read more details on Cheryl's disappearance. I've only seen her mentioned in one article that briefly covered both her and the Bryants.

This clearly shows that Hilton was not just targeting hikers and their investigation on him should be wide open to consider all possibilities concerning the victims he may have targeted. Thanks for the local and other information. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back