Child bitten by rabid bat in WalMart pizza aisle

http://www.mn-wildlifecontrol.com/bats.html

The picture they posted in the main story is a picture of a vampire bat. There are no vampire bats in Minnesota. I am terrified of rabies, and the shots are very expensive.

BUT, I know that bats are nocturnal, and the bats found in minnesota are insectivores. The poor little guy was probably asleep in a box somewhere (by mistake) and woke up in a terrifying place (for him).

He might have been rabid (but I doubt it). But you have to start the shots anyway. I have friends that work with bats and they get the shots on a regular basis, just in case.
jmo

(getting shots on a regular basis is not "normal"by any means, but the line of work my girlfriends are in allows for it)

I didn't think bats liked daylight. Did this happen at night or during the day? Is it strange that there was a bat flying around in a well-lit (based on our WalMart) store?

Bats don't usually bite, so they assumed it was rabid. They didn't catch the bat ... ? So someone else could be a potential victim?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bat-shopped-mother-Walmart.html#ixzz1X0yzZGcN

Not sure what she means by a "claims process" ...

Personally, I don't think WalMart should pay for her medical bills. I'm not sure how WalMart could prevent a bat (or birds) from entering the store when the doors open and close with every customer ... ?

eta
Just wondering what stores at which WalMart has had a bat problem.

there was a bat under a overhang in downtown Ft. Worth and someone picked it up and ofcourse had to get shots it was in the day. I remember all kinds of stories both day and night. The reason you should get your pets vaccinated is the bat may drop in yer yard and the dog/cat eats it and gets infected. Recall i school kid picking one up on the play yard, same thing had to have shots.

Just because an insurance company initially denies 99% of the claims it receives doesn't mean it won't pay many of those claims eventually. Obviously, Lucid was in the "just say no" department of her company; and it's true that saying no makes many claims go away.

But I've worked for law firms that defend insurers and I know insurance companies end up paying quite often if the claimant persists. A bat flying around the inside of a WalMart store? Of course WalMart is liable. A customer has a reasonable expectation that Walmart will not allow wild mammals to roam free in its stores.

Unfortunately, however, the claimant may have to hire a lawyer to get the medical bills paid.

Or it could be as simple as this: I was in a taxi cab accident 30 years ago in NYC. I was a passenger and there was no question: the driver was at fault. The cab company agreed to pay my ER expenses (I had a fractured knee cap), but only if I would sign a paper saying the company had no additional liability. Not knowing what injuries might turn up later, I refused to sign. (They said the knee would heal on its own as long as I didn't walk on it for six weeks (and it did), but who knew?) The company refused to pay. And we went around and around over $75. (Hospitals were cheaper back then.)

If WalMart won't pay for rabies shots, it may be because the victim won't release WalMart from all other liability.

If I got stung by a bee in WalMart, and I'm allergic to bees and die, is WalMart responsible for my death?

Just swell. I sleep in a little cubby bed (kind of like Harry Potter....under the stairs). It's really pretty and my puppies sleep with me. It's to keep me from being able to run or wander if I have a seizure. There's a gate to open to get out but I have to be lucid to open it.

Two nights ago, I awoke to a commotion. It took me several minutes to get up and figure out what was going on. Turns out that a little bat must have flown in the door that was propped open earlier and had hidden until I went to sleep. He wanted to really get a rise out of everyone, I'm guessing. Well, the puppies were having a tizzy as they are not used to a small bat nuzzling up to them at night. I adopt some strange critters but not one has been a bat. The poor little guy probably thought he'd found his siblings (my Chihuahuas) as the puppies were warm and cuddly. I stayed remarkably calm and caught him with my pillowcase and maneuvered over to the door with my walker, a startled little creature and several yapping dogs and released him happily into the night. I did check for any friends but found none.

You sneeze or drop a book, I have a seizure. I wake up with a bat nuzzled in my bed, I just do what needs to be done. He seemed healthy and very pleased to be released. I'm kind of glad that I was woken up by him as if I'd woken up in the morning, I probably would have looked up at the underside of the stairs and wondered just who put the bat there, upside down. In my life, one never knows.

No one was bitten plus the puppies all have their rabies shots. I want bats as they eat the mosquitos. Now, if someone wants to be super impressed with my calm demeanor, look up the Pine Sawyer Beetle (3 inches long) on Google Images. Please do, just to humor me. Yep, had one of those buddies cuddle up last week. I was none too pleased as they are not cuddly and I vacated the bed as speedily as humanly possible. It took me a minute or so to convince him to let go of my duvet. Living in the country is not for ninnies.

I'd threaten to sue my husband for the beetle but he just said, "Oooh, cool."

Just swell. I sleep in a little cubby bed (kind of like Harry Potter....under the stairs). It's really pretty and my puppies sleep with me. It's to keep me from being able to run or wander if I have a seizure. There's a gate to open to get out but I have to be lucid to open it.

Two nights ago, I awoke to a commotion. It took me several minutes to get up and figure out what was going on. Turns out that a little bat must have flown in the door that was propped open earlier and had hidden until I went to sleep. He wanted to really get a rise out of everyone, I'm guessing. Well, the puppies were having a tizzy as they are not used to a small bat nuzzling up to them at night. I adopt some strange critters but not one has been a bat. The poor little guy probably thought he'd found his siblings (my Chihuahuas) as the puppies were warm and cuddly. I stayed remarkably calm and caught him with my pillowcase and maneuvered over to the door with my walker, a startled little creature and several yapping dogs and released him happily into the night. I did check for any friends but found none.

You sneeze or drop a book, I have a seizure. I wake up with a bat nuzzled in my bed, I just do what needs to be done. He seemed healthy and very pleased to be released. I'm kind of glad that I was woken up by him as if I'd woken up in the morning, I probably would have looked up at the underside of the stairs and wondered just who put the bat there, upside down. In my life, one never knows.

No one was bitten plus the puppies all have their rabies shots. I want bats as they eat the mosquitos. Now, if someone wants to be super impressed with my calm demeanor, look up the Pine Sawyer Beetle (3 inches long) on Google Images. Please do, just to humor me. Yep, had one of those buddies cuddle up last week. I was none too pleased as they are not cuddly and I vacated the bed as speedily as humanly possible. It took me a minute or so to convince him to let go of my duvet. Living in the country is not for ninnies.

I'd threaten to sue my husband for the beetle but he just said, "Oooh, cool."

:eek: To both your situations. I'm a Californian, we have little pests and not very many, tg. I did look up your beetle and those suckers bite! :eek:

(of course we have bats, but I've never had to encounter one up close)

I Know something a rabies shots and bat bites. My son spent a week at Church camp and there was bats in the cabin he slept in. I had to take him to get rabies there was a total of 5 shots over an about 4 week period. The first day he got two shot one in the butt and one in the arm. Then one shot in the arm for the following weeks. The shots can make you have flu like symptoms. As far as we know he was not bit by a bat but the health department said if he was bit by a bat it would not hurt any worse that wasp sting and would look a mosquito bite. The shots cost about $3100. The camp paid for all the kids that stayed in that cabin to get the shots if the parent wanted them to have them.

I need to go back and read, but I thought the spokeslady said something about a process to follow.

That WalMart has a claims process to follow? Is it just that the mother has not followed the process (paperwork by the boatload I imagine) and simply asked the manager if WalMart would pay?

If the process is followed (and I expect most people just drop it if they have to hire a lawyer) would WalMart pay?

eta
Wal-Mart Senior Manager for Media Relations Dianna Gee said the store has a claims process for incidents within their stores.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ttacked-rabid-bat-shopped-mother-Walmart.html

If anyone knows what that "claims process" is, please let us know.

I just retired as an adjuster that handled claims for huge companies and many times, We have paid out claims like this. The process was immediate. When we were assigned a loss of this kind, we immediately contacted the person and obtained an interview as to what happened. A lot of times we authorized medical care and prescriptions were charged to an account that we, ourselves set up, on the spot, so the client was never out of any pocket money.

I remember specifically a lady couldn't reach something on a top shelf and was climbing on the lower step and busted her face and nose. No way was that companies fault, but they thought it was good business to try please everyone. Now, sometimes, when the injuries were very minor the company opted to pay the claim itself and not to use their insurance however, by law, they are still required to file the claim. (OSHA)

(I was too long winded) lol nothing new)

I was saying I had draft authority and all receipts submitted to me were paid on the spot.

No matter who is responsible that had to have flipped the mom out let alone the poor little girl. A bat. A bat in that joint.

When my mother was a kid a bat flew in the hair of her friend in the schoolyard. Broad daylight. It got all tangled and kids were screaming. A nun got the bat out of the child's hair.

My friend lives in the lovely Pine Barrens. He works nights and came in one evening to a bat hanging upside down on his curtain rod. He's a pacificst. He's a tree hugger. He'd harm no living thing, BUT he beat the bat with a frying pan.

Yeah man rabies shots are no joke. My brother had to get them as a kid. We were feeding the squirrels and brainyard held the food in his hand making the squirrel come up to him. Bit. My dad was mad about that for months. At my brother that is not the squirrel.

Hope the little girl truly is running around like normal.

BUT he beat the bat with a frying pan.

Isn't that a Ramones song?

And on the nun, I read that as "and a nun with a bat got the bat out of the child's hair."

Which immediately bested any of my friend Bob's tales of being beaten with metal rulers in Catholic school.

And on Sooner Fan #1's paying out on claims, I need a quick $$$ infusion after wrenching my good knee while leaning over in the iced tea aisle today, frantically looking for a jar that did contain caffeine. They were all out. Incredible. So I limped home and took a nap.

No matter who is responsible that had to have flipped the mom out let alone the poor little girl. A bat. A bat in that joint.

When my mother was a kid a bat flew in the hair of her friend in the schoolyard. Broad daylight. It got all tangled and kids were screaming. A nun got the bat out of the child's hair.

My friend lives in the lovely Pine Barrens. He works nights and came in one evening to a bat hanging upside down on his curtain rod. He's a pacificst. He's a tree hugger. He'd harm no living thing, BUT he beat the bat with a frying pan.

Yeah man rabies shots are no joke. My brother had to get them as a kid. We were feeding the squirrels and brainyard held the food in his hand making the squirrel come up to him. Bit. My dad was mad about that for months. At my brother that is not the squirrel.

Hope the little girl truly is running around like normal.

I had to take rabies shots, too. I had a science teacher living across the street from me and he conducted "experiencements on mice. One wandered away or (escaped and I picked it up (I know dumb) it bit me. They had to pack it on dry ice and sent it to University of Texas to run all kinds of tests on it. It did also have rabies, but I can't remember the details.

Isn't that a Ramones song?

And on the nun, I read that as "and a nun with a bat got the bat out of the child's hair."

Which immediately bested any of my friend Bob's tales of being beaten with metal rulers in Catholic school.

And on Sooner Fan #1's paying out on claims, I need a quick $$$ infusion after wrenching my good knee while leaning over in the iced tea aisle today, frantically looking for a jar that did contain caffeine. They were all out. Incredible. So I limped home and took a nap.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

I'd be willing to bet Walmart's liability coverage with pay this claim.

I'd be willing to bet Walmart's liability coverage with pay this claim.
They have a special section which specifically covers injuries incurred by somewhat overweight older guys sorting through the Nestea section attempting to find caffeinated product and growing increasingly disturbed by finding only uncaffeinated, meanwhile accidentally knocking over a couple jars of the uncaffeinated stuff, then having to bend even lower to pick those up?? That'd be excellent!

In better news I did go down the pizza aisle twice without attracting the attention of any rabid bats.

They have a special section which specifically covers injuries incurred by somewhat overweight older guys sorting through the Nestea section attempting to find caffeinated product and growing increasingly disturbed by finding only uncaffeinated, meanwhile accidentally knocking over a couple jars of the uncaffeinated stuff, then having to bend even lower to pick those up?? That'd be excellent!

In better news I did go down the pizza aisle twice without attracting the attention of any rabid bats.

You would be :floorlaugh::floorlaugh: if you heard some of the claims we have worked! Sometimes, I couldn't even keep a straight face when taking new losses. I had a dude that was pizzed off at me and asked me to walk outside with him, I did...he had a truck bed full of snakes and he was going to turn them lose in the building.......I certainly took that as a threat and walked next door to the police station and they promptly arrested him LOL

Hubby worked in a different dept, and i was off for the day. He asked me to come along with him as this girl was behaving weird to him on the phone. This was in Spiro. Shore nuff! The girl (in her 20's) came to the door nekkid.

Not to mention numerous time people pulled out of the gas stations with the nozzle in the gas tanks and pullled the pumps over.

One guy took me to a grave where he said a revenuer was buried. Glad I had money for him LOL

Ho Hum...just another day!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back