Child forced to urinate in seat of plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to make my children use the bathroom prior to boarding a flight or car ride or going in a store whether they needed to or not. It didn't always work. My youngest would say she went then two seconds later it would be an emergency. Accidents happen and you just deal with the clean up. It doesn't seem like this should have made the news. JMV

I'm a mom, as well as a health care provider, and I was an Air Force flight nurse for many years. I really can see this from all angles-- both the biological need to use the bathroom RIGHT NOW, and the need to have all passengers secured for takeoff. I don't know for certain what phase of flight the plane was in "on the tarmac", but I'd bet they were buttoned up, had received clearance to takeoff, and were in line for takeoff when they wanted to get up.

From the point of biological needs, I do understand that when someone needs to "go" they often can't wait very long. I also understand that safety, and having passengers and small children secured, also can't be ignored during critical phases. Just imagine what kind of lawsuits would be "flying" around for passengers injured during critical phases of flight who refused to stay belted in their seats! To say nothing about the terrorism concerns of roving passengers during critical phases. AND-- the pilot can't just "hold in place" EVERY time a passenger wants to get up and use the bathroom. That would be complete and utter chaos for air traffic controllers.

The fact is, this mother should have done all she could to prevent the need to use the bathroom during loading and takeoff. Up to, and including putting her child in a pull up, if she was worried. And if there was an accident anyway, that is just how it goes.

Maybe it sounds cruel and unreasonable to some not to let anyone up whenever they want, but safety regulations really do over ride the request to get up and use the bathroom. And the current security concerns about terrorism mandate that aircrews have some control over ALL passengers during critical phases of time-- loading, unloading, take off, landing, etc.

It's a 3 year old who had a potty accident. It happens. We wish is wouldn't, but that doesn't mean that how the aircrew handled it was wrong. It shouldn't be news, except that this mother had completely unreasonable expectations for her child, as well as for the air travel experience, IMO.

Heck, I'd be in favor of a free Depends dispenser in the security line, for any adults who might need them!

Air travel is not a pleasant experience anymore (particularly with small children), and no one should EVER expect it to be pleasant or convenient. You WILL be inconvenienced and annoyed pretty much every minute of your air travel experience, from the moment you arrive at the airport, till you leave the airport at your destination. You CHOOSE to fly and accept these annoyances and irritations, and outright invasions of your privacy and rights. And you PAY for it. I fly at least 8-12 times a year for work and pleasure, and have flown with small kids for many years. Flying is not like it was 20 years ago-- the whole experience, apart from arriving alive, sucks, IMO. But it's what you have to accept if you choose to fly.

ETA: We also have NO IDEA what else may have been going on in the surrounding area that the flight attendants didn't tell passengers. Often times there is something the pilots are aware of, that passengers are not yet able to be told. There could have been a security situation, another airplane in trouble, etc. There are lots of reasons passengers need to follow the instructions of the flight crew. The general public can't assume they know more than the flight crew about whether or not it's allowable, safe, or advisable to get up whenever they want. Sheesh.

Sorry, I think the mentality is right up there with the zero tolerance in public schools.
A little common sense and compassion goes a long way.
IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is an age that would make it news worthy?
What if it was you? What if it was an low functioning adult? What if it were an elderly person?
Lots of children are fully potty trained at age 2, this child was 3, perhaps she was just short of being 4. While cognitively not the same ...doesn't diminish the fact that a human being was made to soil herself and expected to sit in it...and she didn't want to.

That to me is a big deal.

All IMO

At no age is this newsworthy. IMHO it is someone making drama over a child's potty accident. The article is about a three year old. Not someone of another age or intellectual ability. If it weren't for adults making a big deal over it the child would most likely have already forgotten it.

With a child this young potty accidents are bound to happen. I'm sure the moms bag was full of games, toys, snacks why not pullups... I was just on a plane with my 2.5yr gc climbing to 30 thousand ft. She says gran I have to pee then she said it's ok I have my pullup. Later I was able to change her.

This happens everyday on flights mother's don't expect toddlers to hold the need to go like older children can. I think this mother was naive to think the rules should be changed for her. The story should have been mother's be prepared. Jmo

ciao

Sorry, I think the mentality is right up there with the zero tolerance in public schools.
A little common sense and compassion goes a long way.
IMO

:loveyou::loveyou::loveyou:

When my newly trained just turned three year old went on a long car trip in my MIL's car with cloth upholstery, you can bet she wore training pants just in case.....no accidents, but we went prepared!

I'm a mom, as well as a health care provider, and I was an Air Force flight nurse for many years. I really can see this from all angles-- both the biological need to use the bathroom RIGHT NOW, and the need to have all passengers secured for takeoff. I don't know for certain what phase of flight the plane was in "on the tarmac", but I'd bet they were buttoned up, had received clearance to takeoff, and were in line for takeoff when they wanted to get up.

From the point of biological needs, I do understand that when someone needs to "go" they often can't wait very long. I also understand that safety, and having passengers and small children secured, also can't be ignored during critical phases. Just imagine what kind of lawsuits would be "flying" around for passengers injured during critical phases of flight who refused to stay belted in their seats! To say nothing about the terrorism concerns of roving passengers during critical phases. AND-- the pilot can't just "hold in place" EVERY time a passenger wants to get up and use the bathroom. That would be complete and utter chaos for air traffic controllers.

The fact is, this mother should have done all she could to prevent the need to use the bathroom during loading and takeoff. Up to, and including putting her child in a pull up, if she was worried. And if there was an accident anyway, that is just how it goes.

Maybe it sounds cruel and unreasonable to some not to let anyone up whenever they want, but safety regulations really do over ride the request to get up and use the bathroom. And the current security concerns about terrorism mandate that aircrews have some control over ALL passengers during critical phases of time-- loading, unloading, take off, landing, etc.

It's a 3 year old who had a potty accident. It happens. We wish is wouldn't, but that doesn't mean that how the aircrew handled it was wrong. It shouldn't be news, except that this mother had completely unreasonable expectations for her child, as well as for the air travel experience, IMO.

Heck, I'd be in favor of a free Depends dispenser in the security line, for any adults who might need them!

Air travel is not a pleasant experience anymore (particularly with small children), and no one should EVER expect it to be pleasant or convenient. You WILL be inconvenienced and annoyed pretty much every minute of your air travel experience, from the moment you arrive at the airport, till you leave the airport at your destination. You CHOOSE to fly and accept these annoyances and irritations, and outright invasions of your privacy and rights. And you PAY for it. I fly at least 8-12 times a year for work and pleasure, and have flown with small kids for many years. Flying is not like it was 20 years ago-- the whole experience, apart from arriving alive, sucks, IMO. But it's what you have to accept if you choose to fly.

ETA: We also have NO IDEA what else may have been going on in the surrounding area that the flight attendants didn't tell passengers. Often times there is something the pilots are aware of, that passengers are not yet able to be told. There could have been a security situation, another airplane in trouble, etc. There are lots of reasons passengers need to follow the instructions of the flight crew. The general public can't assume they know more than the flight crew about whether or not it's allowable, safe, or advisable to get up whenever they want. Sheesh.

Loved your whole post, but especially the two parts I bolded.
:D

When my oldest was that age,and then when the younger one reached toddlerhood --- my husband and I always prepared for any long trips with "pull-ups". Yes, he was potty trained by then, but one never knows ....... :p

I used to make my children use the bathroom prior to boarding a flight or car ride or going in a store whether they needed to or not. It didn't always work. My youngest would say she went then two seconds later it would be an emergency. Accidents happen and you just deal with the clean up. It doesn't seem like this should have made the news. JMV

How do you know this mother didn't do exactly that?

If the plane was on the tarmac and cleared for take-off, a passenger, regardless of age, cannot leave their seat. Period. Point blank. End of discussion. If that child had gotten up, then was injured, all heck would have broken loose. Mom needs to pull up her big girl panties (pun intended) and stop making this a big deal. And, if the flight attendant was a little surly, thems the breaks. Folks need to quit it w/the 'oh but my feelings were hurt' mentality. It's juvenile and teaches children that their wants trump the rules, to the detriment of others. BTW - I'm referring to mom here, not posters.

Saw on the national evening news tonight that the mother had received a sympathetic and apologetic phone call from a rep of JetBlue and now seems happy as a lark. She is to receive $50 toward another plane ticket and a rather nice sum is to be sent (IIRC, $5000) to her favorite charity. Kind of glad it's not directly to her.

When our children were very young, we took a long trip in a rented motor home. Even though the older child was long-since toilet trained, we took precautions because of the fact the motor home was not our own.

Wonder if the mother in this case was unaware of how things are handled during air travel?

When my oldest was that age,and then when the younger one reached toddlerhood --- my husband and I always prepared for any long trips with "pull-ups". Yes, he was potty trained by then, but one never knows ....... :p

:floorlaugh: You aren't talking about your husband are you? Just kidding.

This thread title is in itself misleading: "Child forced to urinate in seat of plane." That makes it seem like someone was forcing her to pee her pants at a particular time in her seat. Considering that it's not always possible for a child (or adult) to reach a bathroom when s/he needs to go (and we certainly wouldn't expect any responsible airline to allow people access to bathrooms during landing, takeoffs, or severe turbulence, a more fair thread title might be "Child urinates in her pants," which I would say is not newsworthy (or thread-worthy) at all.

Wonder if the mother in this case was unaware of how things are handled during air travel?

she said in a tweet that she'd been flying jetblue for 10 years... so there's no way she didn't know what the rules are (both FAA and jetblue).

I will not be putting on any pull up!

They were on the tarmac ...sitting there. Not doing a darn thing, not even taxiing.
I see no safety issue. The other pilot flying as a passenger on the plane saw nothing wrong with it.

BBM. Not quite right.

They actually WERE imminently taking off, when the mother got up to clean up the mess. The pilot, at that point, with her arguing with flight attendants, had to return to the gate-- causing a FLIGHT DELAY.

The woman, Jennifer Deveraux, said that when she got up to clean the mess, a flight attendant reported her to the pilot, who announced that the Boston-bound plane was returning to the gate to bring an out-of-order passenger to security officials.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hollering-man-spurs-pilot-divert-jetblue-flight-n131721

BBM

The problem was not the child not being allowed to use the bathroom, but the mother getting up to clean up when they were ready to take off.

I do not think Jet Blue should have compensated this argumentative woman one single penny. She should be thanking her lucky stars she wasn't kicked off the plane and ARRESTED. She was out of line, period, end. This is 100% the problem of a mom who feels some kind of "entitlement" to argue with flight crews and do whatever she wants, just because her 3 yo wet her pants. I feel very sorry for flight crews who increasingly have to deal with "me first" attitudes and surly passengers.

Good grief-- they could have been imminently on take off roll-- heavy, fully loaded, and full of fuel. There could have been a plane landing right over their head, while they waited their turn to turn onto the ACTIVE RUNWAY. What is wrong with people?? I'm guessing they had to ask her more than once to sit down, and that's why the FA had to get the pilot involved.

The woman should have stayed in her seat and shut her mouth. She set a terrible example for her child to see, IMO. As soon as they climbed out-- mere minutes, she could have cleaned up and helped her child change. But no-- she had to make a scene and DELAY the ENTIRE PLANE. And we are supposed to feel sorry for her? Bash the flight crew, whose job it is to keep everyone in their seats and secured for take off?? Wow.

If the plane was on the tarmac and cleared for take-off, a passenger, regardless of age, cannot leave their seat. Period. Point blank. End of discussion. If that child had gotten up, then was injured, all heck would have broken loose. Mom needs to pull up her big girl panties (pun intended) and stop making this a big deal. And, if the flight attendant was a little surly, thems the breaks. Folks need to quit it w/the 'oh but my feelings were hurt' mentality. It's juvenile and teaches children that their wants trump the rules, to the detriment of others. BTW - I'm referring to mom here, not posters.

^^^this. A thousand times over, this.:goodpost:

she said in a tweet that she'd been flying jetblue for 10 years... so there's no way she didn't know what the rules are (both FAA and jetblue).

Actually, that makes it 100 times worse, IMO. She definitely knew what she was doing was wrong. The plane had left the gate for take off. No question she was being disruptive.

I bet the other passengers were just thrilled with the flight delay. Not to mention the additional paperwork she caused the pilots, with the return to the gate, etc. Probably delayed other flights, too with the domino effect of this plane arriving late in Boston.

I personally don't think Jet Blue should have apologized to her. They should have supported their flight crews, IMO. The plane was ready for take off.

When my handicapped daughter was 5 years old, we made a trip to Florida with a group to go to Disney World. We were supposed to fly from Flint, MI, to Cleveland, Ohio, then have a layover of an hour or so, then fly on to Tampa, followed by taking a bus to Orlando. I put a Pull-up on my daughter and expected to let her use the bathroom and change her Pull-up if needed during the one hour layover. Well, we got to Cleveland and were told there would be no layover after all--no time to stop at the bathroom--and that we had to rush right onto our next flight. As a result, my daughter's Pull-up leaked all over on the plane and she got the seat all wet. There was nothing I could do to clean or dry it. I felt really bad for whoever had to sit in that wet seat on the next flight.

This thread title is in itself misleading: "Child forced to urinate in seat of plane." That makes it seem like someone was forcing her to pee her pants at a particular time in her seat. Considering that it's not always possible for a child (or adult) to reach a bathroom when s/he needs to go (and we certainly wouldn't expect any responsible airline to allow people access to bathrooms during landing, takeoffs, or severe turbulence, a more fair thread title might be "Child urinates in her pants," which I would say is not newsworthy (or thread-worthy) at all.

How about "Passenger argues with flight crew before takeoff, and causes plane to return to gate?"

We can leave the child out of this entirely. She's a tiny child that wet her pants-- that happens every day. It was how the parent chose to deal with this that is the problem. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675