Child gun deaths occurs roughly twice as often as publicly reported.

An extensive front-page report on the death of children linked to gun accidents, the latest installment in the New York Times series on “the gun industry’s influence and the wide availability of firearms in America,” contains laudable reporting.

Only in the 75th paragraph of a 110-paragraph article does the newspaper acknowledge in an offhand way “the deep decline in accidental gun deaths shown in federal statistics dating to the mid-1980s.” Huh? So, even if some accidents are categorized incorrectly as homicides, something good seems to be happening.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...re-are-encouraging-trends-too-statistics-show

bbm

For every anecdote about self defense use of a handgun, there are at least 2 stories of handguns killing people and children "accidentally" in their own homes or being killed by a friend or someone they love. Because once in a while someone gets lucky with a handgun we should be putting everyone at risk, including our children??? Wow.

No one's forcing you to have a gun in your house. And you're not going to force me not to have one in mine.

Well, getting back to the topic of the thread, the point was that many accidental deaths were reported as homicides because, technically, that is what they are, whether or not they are prosecuted as homicides. So the information on whether a gun-related death is a homicide or an accident is at question (and what this has to do with self defense is another matter altogether).

Interesting bit of an abstract of a scholarly article:

"Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home."

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

No, this article was written to show further proof that far more people, children included, are killed by guns in "accidental" incidents than are ever reported, thereby giving lie to the promotion by the NRA that having guns in the home makes one safer. Having guns in your home doesn't make you or your children safer, but it sure makes the NRA richer.

Using children to promote the anti-gun agenda like I said. It does make me safer. Your saying otherwise is just you saying otherwise.

Using children to promote the anti-gun agenda like I said. It does make me safer. Your saying otherwise is just you saying otherwise.

There are many studies out there which prove your assertion wrong. You are not safer. However, this is not a gun control thread, rather, it is a thread about double the number of children being killed in their homes "accidentally" by these firearms that are supposedly making everyone safer.

Please don't make this thread a gun control thread as we have one already in existence... please stick to the topic of the article sited in the opening post... thanks

Yes, I got all that and I agree with you. But your headline doesn't say that, it says that children's gun deaths, regardless of the accidental nature or lack thereof or the perceived responsible nature of the gun owners, are twice as common as reported. I don't think the statistics can be so careless as to lose half the children who died.

It's not the best headline but what I believe they meant to imply is that accidental gun deaths are being underreported. IOW, the way that the deaths are reported masks the need for safety regulations. JMO, OMO, MOO.

it is a thread about double the number of children being killed in their homes "accidentally" by these firearms that are supposedly making everyone safer.

If you have children in your home and you are NOT capable of abiding by safe firearm rules then perhaps you analyze your home situation and work on improving household safety.

See how simple that is?

What is perhaps most disturbing is that California has 4 times the population, but fewer than half the childhood gun deaths (accidental or intentional or total) as Georgia or North Carolina. I wonder why...

WOWSERS!!! That's amazing. Why aren't we websleuths jumping on this little bit of data? Seriously. If children in Georgia are eight times as likely as kids from California to die from a gun, then surely, the reasons need to be explored.

WOWSERS!!! That's amazing. Why aren't we websleuths jumping on this little bit of data? Seriously. If children in Georgia are eight times as likely as kids from California to die from a gun, then surely, the reasons need to be explored.

I think it's just twice as likely. The graph I found didn't account for relative populations.

AThe number of privately owned guns in the U.S. is at an all-time high, upwards of 300 million, and now rises by about 10 million per year. Meanwhile, the firearm accident death rate has fallen to an all-time low, 0.2 per 100,000 population, down 94% since the all-time high in 1904. http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/issues/firearm-safety-kids-and-guns.aspx

The reason is simple -- Georgia has a lot of inner city thugs with illegally acquired firearms. That is the same reason that the law abiding citizens of Georgia intend to KEEP their firearms!

The reason is simple -- Georgia has a lot of inner city thugs with illegally acquired firearms. That is the same reason that the law abiding citizens of Georgia intend to KEEP their firearms!

Oh good grief, as if California doesn't have "inner city thugs."

"For every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9715182

J Trauma. 1998 Aug;45(2):263-7.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Determine the relative frequency with which guns in the home are used to injure or kill in self-defense, compared with the number of times these weapons are involved in an unintentional injury, suicide attempt, or criminal assault or homicide.

from 1998?

I don't trust any GOVERNMENT funded research. but that's just me.

bbm

U.S. government-funded national resource for molecular biology information. Access to many public databases and other references, including the draft human ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ncb...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

opening post:
According to a front-page New York Times report ("Children and Guns: The Hidden Toll") published Sunday, accidental child gun deaths occur roughly twice as often as publicly reported.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/children-and-guns-the-hidden-toll.html?hp&_r=0

The National Rifle Association cited the lower official numbers this year in a fact sheet opposing “safe storage” laws, saying children were more likely to be killed by falls, poisoning or environmental factors — an incorrect assertion if the actual number of accidental firearm deaths is significantly higher.

Because of maneuvering in Congress by the gun lobby and its allies, firearms have also been exempted from regulation by the Consumer Product Safety Commission since its inception.

This is a pretty damning report. It'll be interesting (and predictable) to see how the NRA spins this one....:facepalm::banghead:

Please don't make this thread a gun control thread as we have one already in existence... please stick to the topic of the article sited in the opening post... thanks

bumping these up

Child safety caps ≠ Anti-medication.
Child car seats ≠ Anti-automobiles.
Gun safety regulations to save children's lives ≠ Anti-guns.

Mandatory safety measures to save children's lives are just that: Ways to enforce safe and responsible behavior with the goal of saving lives.

Mandatory safety measures to save children's lives are just that: Ways to enforce safe and responsible behavior with the goal of saving lives.

Mandatory how? Laws don't prevent. How are you going to enforce it? Mandatory by decree isn't going to save anyone. We have laws against murder. Why hasn't it been enforced? Those who practice safe gun ownership do so with or without a mandatory decree, and those who don't couldn't care less about such laws.

Child safety caps are included with prescription medication but NOT required to be used.

Most all new firearms come with free gun locks as well (not because it is the law but because the nice firearm manufacturers include them with each purchase).

The locks are there for those that need them, if they need them and choose NOT to use them that is another matter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back